2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

COVID19- ES14 purchase, coming from SC100

Exactice808

Hey Gang, I thought I would share my thoughts!  Covid 19 struck.  my golf deteriorates without practice. OR at best, I play better getting to the range before a round to iron out some kinks and gaining some mental confidence.

Im a cheapskate.... CHEAP!!!!  years ago I was able to get the SC100 on ebay for $140 this was one of the best practice purchases at the time for the evolution of my swing.  Enough reviews are out there so wont bore you too much. The SC100 was great to measure ballspeed,  swing speed and ultimately smash factor.  Taking this to the range just allowed me to verify distances, and consistency of quality of strike.

Fast forward 4 weeks ago, cabin fever, friend bought a Mevo+  but he has been so busy we have not been able to open and set it up. We waited 4 months for it and he spent $5,000 to setup a hitting bay in his warehouse, net, short throw projector etc + $3000 for the Mevo+ so $8,000 for something sitting in the box.  Havent used it yet DANG IT!

I gave up and started researching like crazy. for the next cheapest option. 

I wanted spin, launch angle and the regular club head speed and ball speed.  SURE I would love to have more data (height, spin axis, but my initial cost budget was $500, This range for the mentioned data only had, Mevo (regular) SC300, ES14, ESB1.

A little searching and a little luck and I won a bid on the bay for the ES14 used for $340 (retail $500) so $160 savings.

got it about 2 weeks ago, and LOVE IT.

Pro's -

Smaller Form factor about the size of a composition book and about 2 inches thick. (transportable)

Option 9v plug in power

Easy Setup,

2 Doppler radars (one to read ball speeds and one to read swing speed)  SC100 is just 1 radar doing 2 things.

Accuracy is very high considering the price point

Features I personally wanted, fit the bill

Does not required App to operate. (Small LCD read out on top)

ES14 iSO app is great, especially the "Range view" feature. (multiple other features) but I have a TV setup with an Apple TV, screen mirror this on the TV while practicing. it talks to me live the shot and I can see the screen data.
image.png.3acd8a7ab851f10b4548fa5a77d622e4.png

Adjust lofts (Personalize settings) 

Working GREAT in doors with MINIMAL clearance, my hitting net is 6x9.  the distance to screen is about 6ft. (it recommends 8ft) but its been working just fine!  Of course I have  yet to test it out doors,  but considering the accuracy when I set both the SC100 and ES14 up and I have verified the SC100 many of times outdoors. the numbers are CLOSE!

the biggest thing for me was SPIN and launch angle to work with Trajectory and spin on wedge shots. Something commonly neglected at the range. 20 yards to 100 yards its wonderful.  I have hit up to a 5wood comfortably, I am a little shy in a small 6x9 net (vertically I might add) to hit driver in the house but I did and the numbers are what I have seen on trackman, so its solid.

Con's 

Size,  its bigger than the SC100, bigger than the Mevo and the SC300

Power, 9v battery, with optional 9v plug you have to purchase separate (this is good and bad)

Location of where the monitor has to sit,  14" forward of ball and 14" right (right handed golfer)  compared to many of the units that sit behind the golfer.  This is a little "sketchy" and if you really miss, the LM is in the danger zone

Slightly less, data than the Mevo and SC300 (Apex height)

There is a kick stand, that has "angles" for certain clubs due to how the radar picks up the shot.   Picking up the shots are a little tricky, It took me about a week to figure out the "sweet spots"  as sometimes the shots wont register.  couple reason,  is the angle to pick up the shot due to where the monitor sits instead of behind the golfer.  Due to 2 dopplers one face forward and one facing back, the unit has to pick up both the swing and the ball to register data, if the back doppler is not pick the club, the unit wont measure.  So its a little more finicky than the SC100/SC300 and the MEVO.

Direction,  this unit will not give you an accurate representation of orientation or direction of the ball, even though it has the "range" option it will not show left and right ONLY forward and back,  the screen representation left and right shows the "Age" of the shot, the older the shot, the more it moves left.
Adjust loft settings (got to go through the presets to match your setup, extra work)

I got this unit for a song $340 used on Ebay (luck of the draw).  IF I had to buy brand new $500 it would be between the Ernest Sport ESB1 (updatd version of the ES14) vs  the MEVO.

The catch 22 with that is,

1) The Mevo requires an app to run, so you have to make sure you load up everything for setup.  Which is cumbersome. 

2) The ES14/ESB1 has an App to use, BUT since it has the LCD read out, you can still use it without the app to see all the launch data. Hit the button on the front, scroll to your clubs and hit.

3) the SC300 I would skip, if I spend $500 the other 2 options to me are just as good/better, I need an APP to get spin on the SC300, so that weirds me out.

Currently the BIGGEST and most successful benefit right now is;

Short game 20y to 100y.  

I now have the ability to really grind out and find preset shots for specified distances.  For me its been a guessing game for a long time and relied on "feel" which I have been known to be dead inside LOL.

being able to swing the same way, but say use a 60 vs 56 v 50 and see the distances, launch angle and spin has been critical in how I approach a short shot. More so it builds huge amounts of confidence.

Then when I hit normal irons, I can see my ballspeeds/swing speed,  see my efficiency. 

Lastly I have been messing around with different golf balls.  This was amazing as I can see a difference in ball speed and spin.  To validate how a ball reacts to my swing over the other.

I have to admit probably the BEST $340 I have ever spent on golf!

• Like 2

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

image.png.13137d375ccf4fc34ca32f4584e4ded1.png

Here is some additional Validation of Accuracy,

Hit 30 balls and logged each one,

The first Average (8iron AP2)  - 109.4 mph ball speed, 8308rpms, LA 22.2  149.2yards

image.png.54bf4fa56a27d5516ec1eb658b456edb.png

4th Avg- (8iron MB) - 111.6 mph,  8459rpms, LA 21.7, 152.2yimage.png.761bce2066c5fb9180c2a7e82eccadfa.png

Plug it in to the optimizer and its pretty much spot on, so the data its recording (Spin, Launch angle, ball speed and ultimately distance are spot on!) take my 6 iron as well if you want but its very consistent!

The only wonky number is the swing speed. If you notice thought the ball speeds are very consistent,  but the weird club speed (also the smash factor is off). Other than that the ACTAUL launch data is solid!

If you are looking for a cost effective unit that records solid ball data. This is a great product! ALL indoor so more so I am sure out doors will be just as spot on or even better! (but can see much improvement as quality as this is showing LOL)

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/5/2020 at 4:53 AM, Metro07 said:

I just skimmed the review and tagged it for later so I'm not sure if OP mentioned this but in my research I found that this unit can be paired with Shot Tracer to show a vid of your strike and tracing of ball flight.

Bear in mind, as OP says, this unit is not measuring direction. Shot tracer if it works is going to be very limited therefore.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/4/2020 at 6:53 PM, Metro07 said:

I just skimmed the review and tagged it for later so I'm not sure if OP mentioned this but in my research I found that this unit can be paired with Shot Tracer to show a vid of your strike and tracing of ball flight.

Yes I have seen the shot Tracer app,   Pretty cool, Im just cheap and its more form over function.  Nice little thing, little function for me, BUT again yes it does pair up.

On 12/6/2020 at 1:34 AM, hammersia said:

Bear in mind, as OP says, this unit is not measuring direction. Shot tracer if it works is going to be very limited therefore.

With the noted mention above,  by technicality since it is a shot tracer,  it should then add in the  "direction" that was missing from the original design.  I mean if its an actual shot tracer and the direction is left the shot tracer should accurate depict its direction?  So I think the idea of paring the the Shot Tracer app was to make up for this downside.

If you take this to the range it would basically act just like a Mevo?  I would be curious how it would work indoors though.

Anyways.  Its been months since I bought this and i still use this basically everyday. I hit between 50-100 wedge shots daily. This thing is phenomenal, It basically paid for itself when you consider $7-$8 per bag of balls at the range,  So $14 a shots, / $340 (25 days at the driving range)  And I am basically paid for with this Launch Monitor.

The biggest factor that I have found is........ my short game has drastically improved.  Doubt me (LOL)  2020 mid year was about a 15hdcp,  Closed out 2020 as a 9 hdcp.  (6 stroke swing) This was due to the constant short game practice.

Totally worth it in my book and when I say worth it any budget LM! 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 1/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Exactice808 said:

Yes I have seen the shot Tracer app,   Pretty cool, Im just cheap and its more form over function.  Nice little thing, little function for me, BUT again yes it does pair up.

With the noted mention above,  by technicality since it is a shot tracer,  it should then add in the  "direction" that was missing from the original design.  I mean if its an actual shot tracer and the direction is left the shot tracer should accurate depict its direction?  So I think the idea of paring the the Shot Tracer app was to make up for this downside.

If you take this to the range it would basically act just like a Mevo?  I would be curious how it would work indoors though.

Anyways.  Its been months since I bought this and i still use this basically everyday. I hit between 50-100 wedge shots daily. This thing is phenomenal, It basically paid for itself when you consider $7-$8 per bag of balls at the range,  So $14 a shots, / $340 (25 days at the driving range)  And I am basically paid for with this Launch Monitor.

The biggest factor that I have found is........ my short game has drastically improved.  Doubt me (LOL)  2020 mid year was about a 15hdcp,  Closed out 2020 as a 9 hdcp.  (6 stroke swing) This was due to the constant short game practice.

Totally worth it in my book and when I say worth it any budget LM! 

Do you find the launch and spin to be pretty accurate? Do ball type (range balls) screw with readings? 

46 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Do you find the launch and spin to be pretty accurate? Do ball type (range balls) screw with readings? 

Launch is a little off,  there is no calibration for launch,  and depending how the level of ground or where the unit sits could affect the launch angle a little.

Spin though seems seemingly solid.  Not perfect but consistent.   YES balls do calculate pretty good as well as well as ballspeeds.

So the system for these numbers are worthy,  I would say for any instruction or high level play you gotta accept... its a $500 budget personal LM so you take that for what its worth LOL 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

Launch is a little off,  there is no calibration for launch,  and depending how the level of ground or where the unit sits could affect the launch angle a little.

Spin though seems seemingly solid.  Not perfect but consistent.   YES balls do calculate pretty good as well as well as ballspeeds.

So the system for these numbers are worthy,  I would say for any instruction or high level play you gotta accept... its a $500 budget personal LM so you take that for what its worth LOL 

Thanks, would it be worth getting a esb1 over the ea14? Noticed the esb1 sits behind the ball

Just now, Red4282 said:

Thanks, would it be worth getting a esb1 over the ea14? Noticed the esb1 sits behind the ball

Depends on money, I am a cheapskate, so I didnt want to pay $550  But if you have $550 the ABSOLUTELY I would get the ESB1 over the ES14.

Purely due to where the ESB1 sits vs the ES14.

Now let me throw 1 caveat.

1) If I had no choice to spend $500 meaning someone gave me $500 and said to buy a unit.  I would get the MEVO. over the ESB1.

Just because of the ability to track direction of the shot as well.  is likely the only additional reason.  The ESB1 and Mevo basically tracks everything else.

now the negative difference between the MEVO and the ESB1, you can take the ESB1 anywhere and run it.  THe MEVO you need to use your phone/tablet to get data.  The ESB1 as an LCD screen.  So there is a bit more time and setup with the MEVO.

If you can get the ESB1 cheaper than  $500 than absolutely. If you are likely using the ESB1 outside then direction is meaningless as you will see it at the range.

But if you use it alot indoors. This will be a tough one.

Thoughts?  

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

1 hour ago, Exactice808 said:

Depends on money, I am a cheapskate, so I didnt want to pay $550  But if you have $550 the ABSOLUTELY I would get the ESB1 over the ES14.

Purely due to where the ESB1 sits vs the ES14.

Now let me throw 1 caveat.

1) If I had no choice to spend $500 meaning someone gave me $500 and said to buy a unit.  I would get the MEVO. over the ESB1.

Just because of the ability to track direction of the shot as well.  is likely the only additional reason.  The ESB1 and Mevo basically tracks everything else.

now the negative difference between the MEVO and the ESB1, you can take the ESB1 anywhere and run it.  THe MEVO you need to use your phone/tablet to get data.  The ESB1 as an LCD screen.  So there is a bit more time and setup with the MEVO.

If you can get the ESB1 cheaper than  $500 than absolutely. If you are likely using the ESB1 outside then direction is meaningless as you will see it at the range.

But if you use it alot indoors. This will be a tough one.

Thoughts?  

Thanks, yea i think i will predominately use it on the course/range. Dont care much for direction but just want something that will give me accurate launch/spin/bs/chs. Is that the only difference in the esb1 and es14, where they sit in relation to the ball?

Basically yes,  the doppler has 2 systems so the club had speed might be more accurate than how the current system is (1 doppler forward, 1 doppler backwards)  But I have the biggest issue with reading club head accurately.

If you are using on the course then for sure the ESB1 then.  opposed to the mevo as you have to use an additional devise.

Looking at a new one or have you gotten lucking finding a used one?  That was the only other thing again.... $500......  but its funny i did the other math.

$7 a bag of balls X 2 = $14 /500 =  35 days at the range and its paid off..... Used to easily go twice a week,  thats 104 trips. I am down to once a month,  but hey 1 round of golf at $60 and a handful of range days and it paid for itself! 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

• 3 weeks later...

The regular FlightScope Mevo doesn't actually track shot direction.  The available data parameters are listed here: https://www.flightscopemevo.com/.  The Mevo+ has "Horizontal Launch Angle" but the Mevo doesn't and while the Mevo has "Apex Height" and "Flight Time" the other parameters are very similar to the ESB1/ES14.

You can verify with Ernest Sports but I believe the ESB1/ES14 only directly measure club speed and ball speed.  Distance, launch angle, spin rate and smash factor are calculated values.  They use club speed, ball speed and the selected club to perform the calculations and they actually provide actionable data consistently.

My understanding is that the Mevo will measure club speed, ball speed, vertical launch angle and spin rate though I believe for optimal accuracy of spin rate, you need to apply metallic stickers provided by FlightScope to each ball.

I really like that the ESB1 has a large hitting area, stated as 2 square feet (though in practice it is a bit more).  This allows you to distribute strike more readily when using a hitting mat or to avoid having to reposition the launch monitor frequently when hitting off real grass.

The Skills Challenge in random mode from the Ernest Sports asks you to hit 3 shots to 12 random distances and I've found this to be a great warmup exercise for a round as it helps you to develop more confidence over the ball.

On 1/30/2021 at 7:36 AM, namcneilly said:

The regular FlightScope Mevo doesn't actually track shot direction.  The available data parameters are listed here: https://www.flightscopemevo.com/. The Mevo+ has "Horizontal Launch Angle" but the Mevo doesn't and while the Mevo has "Apex Height" and "Flight Time" the other parameters are very similar to the ESB1/ES14.

You can verify with Ernest Sports but I believe the ESB1/ES14 only directly measure club speed and ball speed.  Distance, launch angle, spin rate and smash factor are calculated values.  They use club speed, ball speed and the selected club to perform the calculations and they actually provide actionable data consistently.

My understanding is that the Mevo will measure club speed, ball speed, vertical launch angle and spin rate though I believe for optimal accuracy of spin rate, you need to apply metallic stickers provided by FlightScope to each ball.

I really like that the ESB1 has a large hitting area, stated as 2 square feet (though in practice it is a bit more).  This allows you to distribute strike more readily when using a hitting mat or to avoid having to reposition the launch monitor frequently when hitting off real grass.

The Skills Challenge in random mode from the Ernest Sports asks you to hit 3 shots to 12 random distances and I've found this to be a great warmup exercise for a round as it helps you to develop more confidence over the ball.

Actually my mistake you are right,  there is no "default" direction. I am confusing the "Mevo"  vs the "MEVO+"  which can connect to the E6 simulator to give you direction.

Yikes.  To me then this makes the Ernest Sport system easier to use and setup in that  $500 range.

Now in regards to spin.  My opinion of spin was coming from an SC100 which basically measured ballspeed and lucky if swing speed picked up well with any accuracy LOL.  So no actual spin numbers to practice with.

The terms are weird,  Measured vs Calculated.  But to clarify you are right again.

1) The Ballspeed and Clubspeed are Measured in flight with the Doppler.

2) The Spin is calculated on the parameters given from the Doppler.  But generically, you can say that many systems calculates spin in a similar way?

How accurate is that?  Well to be fair its not going to be as accurate as metallic dots but the spin numbers should be relevant to the strike and a good "training" point.  To which I have been using and finding quite "accurate" for what its worth?  ( live chipping vs indoor chipping)

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2) The Spin is calculated on the parameters given from the Doppler.  But generically, you can say that many systems calculates spin in a similar way?

NM: The more advanced Doppler launch monitors are able to measure spin rate if you use them as directed.  i.e. applying the metallic stickers when there is limited flight.  

In the personal launch monitor category, consisting of those devices which are say $500-ish and less, the FlightScope Mevo appears to be the only current model that is capable of "measuring" spin rate.  Spin provided by other vendors in this space is likely calculated.  I'm not sure how FlightScope determines spin rate in a limited flight setting if the metallic stickers are not used.

How accurate is that?  Well to be fair its not going to be as accurate as metallic dots but the spin numbers should be relevant to the strike and a good "training" point.  To which I have been using and finding quite "accurate" for what its worth?  ( live chipping vs indoor chipping)

NM:  For calculated values, it is important to understand that the data would be better for "good" strikes.  While I'm aware that the ESB1 is calculating launch angle as well as spin rate, in practice the numbers do appear to give you enough information to hone your game.  If you are a player looking to increase or decrease your launch angle, the ESB1 will help to bring you closer to that goal.  The same goes for spin rate.  However, I would not try to compare the spin rate of say a Pro V1x to a Pro V1 using the ESB1.  You can compare ball speeds though.

All launch monitors offer some data that is calculated.  These are computed based on measured data and predefined settings (like altitude).  When there is confidence in the measured data, this helps to make the case for the calculated output (e.g. if ball speed and club speed are accurate, then smash factor is accurate).

I'm not clear on how Ernest Sports is doing the calculations.  However, there was a previous article on GolfWRX that showed how Smash Factor is linked to Spin Loft = (Dynamic Loft - Angle of Attack).  I would imagine that they are probably leveraging this relationship to perform their calculations on the strength of the measured parameters coupled with the configured lofts for the selected club.

• Like 1