I bob my head too much on takeaway, sometimes roll the face open, and on my really stiff and sore days I get stuck under my shoulders in the backswing and look like I'm mopping a floor - and can't do anything right.

Looking at my swing on video, I wonder how I ever have good days, but sometimes shoot in the 80s w a 220 driver and 140 7i. Legit short game.

Question: what's the first mistake in the sequence that probably influences the subsequent mistakes?

Thanks. Roast me I don't care I wanna get better in any way that doesn't involve diet and exercise, as I work at a desk 10 hours a day and I've committed to dying in my work chair.

Apologies if the videos suck. Wife was kind enough to humor me while our 3yo ran around and the 3mo was sleeping inside, hence why I'm fine dying at the desk. Front yard foam balls on the side of the yard where the grass already sucks.

Hey bud I'm no pro but like to read mostly classical swing theory and practice it as well and it looks like you are pulling your right hand and side back based on what I can see from your right forearm position and the fact that the right hand is coming off the club at the top. 

I would recommend setting up a little more weight on your right side and place the left arm in front of the chest at address then push the left hand and elbow back across the front of the body and try to get to the point where this movement starts to load the right leg which means you would be reaching across your right leg with your left hand as opposing to pulling the right side back. Also, press your right hand slightly forward against the left hand during the takeaway to ensure you are not pulling it back - that destroys most of the easy power that the body can generate. Good luck.

Edited by chipa
  • Like 1

9.5w  18w  24i  30i  39i  47i  51i  60i  P

I too have committed to dying in my computer chair so I can relate, lol. 

The first mistake in the sequence like most amateur golfers, and ESPECIALLY us chair jockeys, is that you are doing practically nothing with your lower body. No real hip turn, no loading or unloading, basically just throwing your arms back and then at the ball. This will almost always lead to the weak over the top slice/block with the occasional snap hook if you really torque your hands at it. 

The best thing you can do is work on lower body strength and mobility, both for your chair posture and back health, and for your swing sequence. You should be feeling like everything is driven by rotating back in to your right hip and unloading in the downswing to create power, which is basically the opposite of what you're doing now. Shifting to that focus will generate FAR more power than what you're doing now, even with what feels like less effort. Take it slow and easy though as it is a shift that can cause injury if you go at it too hard too fast. Take practice swings and soft practice ball hits like this while feeling like your hands literally do nothing but hang on to the club and get your lower body working to create the movement. Just make sure you're focusing on rotating, not sliding back and forth. 

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

45 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

I too have committed to dying in my computer chair so I can relate, lol. 

The first mistake in the sequence like most amateur golfers, and ESPECIALLY us chair jockeys, is that you are doing practically nothing with your lower body. No real hip turn, no loading or unloading, basically just throwing your arms back and then at the ball. This will almost always lead to the weak over the top slice/block with the occasional snap hook if you really torque your hands at it. 

The best thing you can do is work on lower body strength and mobility, both for your chair posture and back health, and for your swing sequence. You should be feeling like everything is driven by rotating back in to your right hip and unloading in the downswing to create power, which is basically the opposite of what you're doing now. Shifting to that focus will generate FAR more power than what you're doing now, even with what feels like less effort. Take it slow and easy though as it is a shift that can cause injury if you go at it too hard too fast. Take practice swings and soft practice ball hits like this while feeling like your hands literally do nothing but hang on to the club and get your lower body working to create the movement. Just make sure you're focusing on rotating, not sliding back and forth. 

I was working on what monte put up today, and definitely feel it in my trail side low after playing. I'll try to get the lower body more involved.

• Like 1
On 9/16/2020 at 8:33 PM, Justsomeguy said:

I bob my head too much on takeaway, sometimes roll the face open, and on my really stiff and sore days I get stuck under my shoulders in the backswing and look like I'm mopping a floor - and can't do anything right.

Looking at my swing on video, I wonder how I ever have good days, but sometimes shoot in the 80s w a 220 driver and 140 7i. Legit short game.

Question: what's the first mistake in the sequence that probably influences the subsequent mistakes?

Thanks. Roast me I don't care I wanna get better in any way that doesn't involve diet and exercise, as I work at a desk 10 hours a day and I've committed to dying in my work chair.

Apologies if the videos suck. Wife was kind enough to humor me while our 3yo ran around and the 3mo was sleeping inside, hence why I'm fine dying at the desk. Front yard foam balls on the side of the yard where the grass already 

To quote Harry Vardon talking to the young Francis Ouimet in "The Greatest Game Ever Played",,,,,,,,, "Never despair".  :classic_biggrin:

Since you seem to want to correct one thing, rather than a complete "swing analysis", a simple suggestion.

Try strengthening your grip a bit towards the blue dot in the pic below (towards your right shoulder) and do everything else the same.

High right becomes a bit lower and left. It'll feel weird, trust me - it did when my instructor had me do it. When he placed my hands I said to him "Are you kidding me ? You actually want me to swing the club this way ?" :classic_laugh:  It worked.

246760493_wrxSTRONGERGRIP.png.9bb5335b50faa3540414c6a510d16c2e.png

Edited by nsxguy
  • Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 63 gr, 6.0

Adams A12 Idea Pro hybrid, 16*, Aldila 85 VS Proto Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 56, 60 DGS300

Tour Edge Wingman (Today)

Experimenting with Prov1x, TM TP5x, Tour B X, Chrome Soft