Graphite iron shafts

What are your opinions on going with graphite shafts in your irons?  I’ve started to have some joint pain in my elbows and fingers, and I was wondering if graphites would help.  Normally play KBS Tour X.  For you guys that have gone with graphite what shafts did you go with, and have you noticed a difference from the steels?  Thanks for any info you can give.

1 hour ago, SoILgolfer said:

What are your opinions on going with graphite shafts in your irons?  I’ve started to have some joint pain in my elbows and fingers, and I was wondering if graphites would help.  Normally play KBS Tour X.  For you guys that have gone with graphite what shafts did you go with, and have you noticed a difference from the steels?  Thanks for any info you can give.

I ended up moving on from KBS C Taper 130x to the Mitsubishi MMT 125TX have them from 4 iron down to 60 degree and will never look back. For me personally they have lowered my ball flight and feel so much smoother than the steel shafts. Dispersion has also tightened up. Keep in mind these are the only graphite shafts ive ever tried after steel ive heard good things about recoil protos but the many reviews on the MMT swayed me.

I recently did an iron fitting and went from Cobra F9s in the stock steel shaft (KBS Tour 90 R-Flex) to graphite shafts. The ones I was fit into are the Mitsubishi Tensei Silver 60 Regular flex. Definitely lighter than the steel shafts. I have noticed that the couple of times I hit them off mats I came away with no elbow or other joint pain. That wasn't always the case with the steel shafts - I never had pain that caused me to have to skip a few days or anything like that, but just some pain that was noticeable for a few hours afterwards.

I'm 40 so I don't expect to pick up a tremendous amount of speed, even as I (hopefully) continue to get better over time, and if they can help me avoid the joint pain, I'm all in.

There are all sorts of quality graphite shafts these days for those with all levels of swing speeds, so definitely worth checking out.

I don't know that I'll ever go back to steel shafts. Literally, the only downside I can find thus far is that the graphite shafts are more expensive than steel shafts.

• Like 1

I will never play steel again. Three shoulder surgeries and elbow tendinitis requires it. I’ve tested just about everything and for me, KBS TGI were the best. Unfortunately there isn’t an easy way to test, I ended up with an extra 7 iron head and went through about 8-10 shafts. 

TaylorMade M4 8.5, Aldila Rogue White 130 M.S.I. 60S
TaylorMade M3 15, HZRDUS Black 75S
Callaway XR Pro 20, Project X LZ S
Srixon Z765 4-PW, KBS TGI 95 hs x1
Ping Glide 3.0 50 & 56 SS, KBS TGI 95 hs x1
Ping Glide 3.0 60 TS, KBS TGI 95
Ping Ketsch Armlock, BGT Stability

... I had elbow tendonitis in the 90's and switched to graphite in my irons until I got the tendonitis under control. I have not played steel since. The first graphite iron shafts I used were Aldila NV Tours. With 1.3* of torque and 130gms they were even stouter and more accurate than the DGS300's they replaced. VJ Singh was playing them in Flex and they were a hair too much shaft for me. They came out with the NV Pro's and with around 2.2* of torque and 105gms they were much better for my swing. Since then I have played VS Proto 100's, Recoil 95/110's, Recoil Prototype 95's, Steelfiber 95's and I am currently playing Kuro Kage Tini 105's in my T100-S irons. I will never go back to steel. 

• Like 1

Cobra Xtreme 9* Tour Length ... Tensei Pro Orange 60s
Cobra Speezone 15.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 75s

TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hybrid ... KBS 80Hys
4-w Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage Tini 105's
SM6 52* F Grind /SM8 M Grind 58* ... Recoil 110s
Newport 2.5 ... 33.5"

Do it and don't look back.  I've been playing graphite since 2008 when I retired from active duty.  The Orthopedic surgeon said it was either that or give up the game.  When the iron I was using hit the ground it would send a shockwave through my body and I would literally be done playing at the turn.  I was in agony.

I've seen it evolve from an afterthought to so detailed in all weights and bend points.  For me, Accra has been the most consistent right along with Oban, but I've played Aldila, Aerotech and UST.  You can go as weak as noodle flex to as stiff as rebar.  But one thing it absolutely does is take the shock out of the swing.  But when we do our custom work the most consistent performers are Accra and Oban.  Be warned, they're going to be more expensive than steel, but if you need to make the change, that's just part of the deal.

Also, you may find you don't need to go as heavy in graphite to find the stability you're looking for.  Weights can go in to 100g or slightly higher, but usually you can go lighter to get the performance you're looking for.  They're not going to feel like steel because well, they're not.  🙂

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 1
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)

I've played Steelfiber extensively.  Was fit into the 110 (R), but never really got entirely comfortable.  I think I prefer the Steelfiber 95 (R) to the 110, but still not 100% sold on these either.  Currently, giving my first go with a set of Recoil 95 (F4--stiff), which are very impressive in a set of JPX 919 Forged.  I've hit the TGI, which didn't blow me away.  Also the Steelfiber FC 90 (S), which I would need more time with.  I generally don't like the more "stock" shaft type of graphite in the 60, 70, 80g range. 

This stuff is so personal, but at the moment, I would give the nod to the Recoil F4--very smooth, but still stable.  As noted, other great options like Accra, MMT, Project X Catalyst, etc.  I can't say I'll never go back to steel, because I am currently in steel, but for my elbows and shoulders, it needs to be something in the 95-105g range, and usually with the prosoft inserts that I install.  I can usually get away with steel under those circumstances.  YMMV.      

Edited by jeffrey r

Titleist TS2 10.5* Driver, UST Mamiya Helium 5F3
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 3 and 5 Woods, Accra Fx 2.0 200F M3
Callaway Big Bertha ‘19 4 Hybrid, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 65 R
PXG 0311 Irons 5-GW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950GH S
PXG 0311 SW (54/14) and LW (58/12), TT Elevate Tour S
Scotty Cameron 009-M Putter

If you want something that comes close to the KBS Tour X (130g IIRC), stay away from anything lighter than 95g. I would suggest Steelfiber i125 CW, Recoil Proto 125 F5 to start. You don't want to change total weight too much. I went from TT Gold S300 to Recoil Proto 125 and found the feel very similar. The KBS TGI 110 might work also, with some extra head weight.

BT

Bag 1

Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5* HZRDUS Black 7 6.0 @ 44.5"
King LTD 14.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43"
F6 5-7 @ 17.5 - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize

Bag 2
F7 9.5* - Aldila Copperhead 70TX @ 44.5
King LTD Blk 14.5* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 43
King LTD Blk 19* - Aldila RIP Beta 80 S @ 41.5
Mizuno MP15 4-pw - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 Black 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

Bag 3
Mizuno ST190 9.5* - Diamana "Flowerband" Whiteboard 73 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno ST190 14.5* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 43"
Epic Flash Heavenwood 19* - Aldila RIP Phenom 80 S @ 42" 
Mizuno MP25 4-pw - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Mizuno MP-T5 Satin 52, 56, & 60 TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Roo Midsize

Go graphite, you wont regret it... but if you are going to change shafts get a proper fitment.  I went from 130g stock steel shafts to an 85g graphite progressive stiff shaft and my shoulder pain is completely gone.  Also picked up about +15 yards per club due to better swing speed... only downside is now I have to correct a slight pull on my mishits.

Thanks for the info guys!  I know they are going to cost more, but perfectly willing to part with the cash if it helps.  Biggest concern was the weight you mentioned.  I’ve been looking at the Steelfiber 110 and MMT 125.  Just have no experience so I need to find a fitter that has plenty of demos.  Probably look for fitters around Indianapolis if you have any suggestions.