Pre-tournament Prep

During a conversation with friends about pros prepping for the US Open, it came to me that it would seem to be beneficial to a pro to hire a well respected local caddie to help them get familiar with the course during practice rounds.  I’m not suggesting they take place of their regular caddie, but I’m thinking they could hire a local guy to walk the course with them during their practice rounds to share local knowledge - tee shots lines, angles into greens, subtle breaks on hole locations - the kind of stuff you can only learn after hundreds or thousands of rounds on a particular course and isn’t readily apparent from yardage or green books.  There is only so much one can absorb in a couple of practice rounds.  

Perhaps the expense isn’t worth it to do every week, but certainly at bigger events - majors, WGCs, etc. - if it saves you a single shot during the tournament then it likely pays for itself.  Do pros do this? If not, why not?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Any “expense” is certainly irrelevant to the equation, what would it cost?  A thousand bucks would be generous.    I would say the most likely factor is that even the best local caddie rarely s

DJ’s coach - Claude Harmon III is the son of Claude ‘Butch’ Harmon Jnr and the grandson of Claude Harmon Senior who as well as winning The Masters was the Club Pro at Winged Foot for 30 some years.

Whatever you pay the caddy just make sure he signs an NDA that says he can't speak to Tom Gillis. 

2 hours ago, goaliedad30 said:

On Golf Channel today, they talked about DJ having done exactly that - he is getting local advice/knowledge from the Winged Foot club pro. The connection came through his coach, apparently the club pro and Harmon family are longtime friends.

DJ’s coach - Claude Harmon III is the son of Claude ‘Butch’ Harmon Jnr and the grandson of Claude Harmon Senior who as well as winning The Masters was the Club Pro at Winged Foot for 30 some years.

• Like 1

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

It’s something that you see often enough at The Masters, the guys hiring the local caddies to go round with them in practice rounds. I don’t know how many of them do it but it’s definitely something that you see.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Any “expense” is certainly irrelevant to the equation, what would it cost?  A thousand bucks would be generous. 

I would say the most likely factor is that even the best local caddie rarely sees the US Open tees or considers lines, shots and ball flights of tour players. What’s a guy going to tell Justin Thomas?  “Hey man, my guys usually hit some sort of hybrid here and I want them to avoid that bunker on the left. But it’s a par 3 so maybe you want to hit 7 iron right at the flag?“

• Like 2
23 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

Any “expense” is certainly irrelevant to the equation, what would it cost?  A thousand bucks would be generous. 

I would say the most likely factor is that even the best local caddie rarely sees the US Open tees or considers lines, shots and ball flights of tour players. What’s a guy going to tell Justin Thomas?  “Hey man, my guys usually hit some sort of hybrid here and I want them to avoid that bunker on the left. But it’s a par 3 so maybe you want to hit 7 iron right at the flag?“

Whatever you pay the caddy just make sure he signs an NDA that says he can't speak to Tom Gillis. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik Max 9 w/Hzrdus Smoke Black 80
Callaway Epic SubZero 13 w/ Matrix Black Tie 80
Ping G400 Crossover 20 w/KBS Tour Prototype 85
Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
Titleist Vokey SM8 60 M grind

Deschamps Blade 375g

On 9/18/2020 at 5:09 AM, rafal said:

That's exactly what I thought, local caddies know the course but they don't know the players so their knowledge is of limited usefulness.

But they probably know the greens and the approach/miss areas really well, which could help guys who never the played the course in competition.