2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Question About Gimmies

DJ07

So, me and some buddies are all mid-handicap, and we enjoy playing a round every couple of weeks together at our favorite muni. We keep score mainly for bragging rights at the end of the day or who has to bring beer next time. We try to keep as accurate a score as possible, but we cap ourselves at double par and allow gimmies inside the leather if its for double bogey or worse just to keep pace. 

The last time out, one of my buddies was barely within gimmie range (but nonetheless within 3 feet) looking at what would have been a double, so we told him to pick it up and take his 6, but he said, "Okay, but the ball is kinda on a slope so I just want the practice." He proceeded to push his ball just past the hole, then tapped in to finish. My buddy on the card marked him a 7. The guy who missed the putt said, "Why 7? You said I could have the putt." The guy on the card said "We did say you could have the 6, but you decided not to pick it up, then you missed, so that's a 7." 

The extra stroke didn't matter in terms of winning or finishing in 2nd, but what would be the communities' "ruling" on the matter for future reference? If you get the gimmie, is that your count no matter if you decide you do want to tap it in, even if you miss the tap in? Or, is the gimmie an option where you risk taking extra strokes by missing and only gain the practice of tapping in from close range? 

Titleist TSR3 (9) C2; Ventus Blue 6X

Titleist TSR2 (15) A2; Ventus Blue TR 7S

Callaway Paradym HW (20); Tensei 1K Pro Blue 80S

TaylorMade Stealth 2 Plus Rescue (22); Ventus Blue HY 80S

Miura KM 700 (5-PW); MMT 125S

Mizuno T24 50/08, 54/10; DG Tour Issue S400

Ping Glide 4.0 60ºE; Nippon Z115

Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7; BGT Stability

I don't know if there is a "right" answer here in a game among friends, but i would also have given him the 6 if you conceded the putt and he decided to hit it for practice. 

If you do want to get technical, i believe as soon as he says "OK" he has accepted the gimme and his play on the hole is concluded. So he would have a 6

• Like 2

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Comes down to how much you really care about how accurate you wanna be with scoring. It’s a 7 for me. Don’t go brag about the 85 you shot when it’s really an 86. 

I’ll use myself for an example. I play to a 1.9 handicap right now. I will decide if I want to give myself a gimme or not.  Sometimes I’ll be in a group and guys will say I can have that when it’s a 2-3 foot putt I have to save par. For me these putts matter and are not always a for sure thing. So I’ll say no thanks I wanna finish out, if I miss that putt it 100% counts and I will take my Bogey. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Once the putt is given, it's given.

Match play only. No such thing for stroke play. Gimmes are made-up rules so it's between your group to decide how to handle such things as it relates to your game.

For handicap purposes you should record the most likely score . 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

Gimmes should based off what the groups agrees too. For instance you guys already agreed. So it should have been a 6. For me, gimmes from 3ft is not something I’d agree to even if it’s a fun round out with the guys. But that’s just me and my group. If you really want to try to keep an accurate score. Always hole your putts out. 

• Like 1

Pretending that we're actually using the Rules of Golf here:  In match play once a putt/stroke is conceded by someone with the authority to do so, that player's hole is over in terms of the competition.  However, in the U.S., if the player chooses to continue play, the actual score he/she subsequently achieves should be used for handicap posting purposes.

Edited by Sawgrass
  • Like 2

A conceded putt can’t be declined or withdrawn. 

From 3.2

“A concession is final and cannot be declined or withdrawn.“

While that is the rule for match play, and you guys are playing “stroke play”, you really aren’t playing stroke play. You are playing a hybrid of match and stroke play. So you should use the ROG as your guide. Just like a scramble. It’s not a sanctioned form of play, but it still uses the ROG to guide decisions on the course. 

A conceded putt can’t be withdrawn. But, since you aren’t playing a sanctioned form of golf, you are free to come up with whatever you feel is “fair”. Or you could just play by the rules of a sanctioned form of play and you wouldn’t have to worry about things like this. Making up rules to make the game “fair” for everyone is hard. 

That’s why there’s a rule book. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

Match play only. No such thing for stroke play. Gimmes are made-up rules so it's between your group to decide how to handle such things as it relates to your game.

For handicap purposes you should record the most likely score . 

The OP said the guy said, "OK, but I want to practice". That seems agreed within the group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ZacR88 said:

Comes down to how much you really care about how accurate you wanna be with scoring. It’s a 7 for me. Don’t go brag about the 85 you shot when it’s really an 86. 

I’ll use myself for an example. I play to a 1.9 handicap right now. I will decide if I want to give myself a gimme or not.  Sometimes I’ll be in a group and guys will say I can have that when it’s a 2-3 foot putt I have to save par. For me these putts matter and are not always a for sure thing. So I’ll say no thanks I wanna finish out, if I miss that putt it 100% counts and I will take my Bogey. 

Our rule amongst my playing partners is we putt out anything that is for a bogey or better because you’re right, those putts matter.

My friend’s 6 or 7 wasn’t really going to make or break his day. As some others have said, we already gave him a 6 (everyone in the group except the guy with the card) so I think it’s a 6. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MtlJeff said:

I don't know if there is a "right" answer here in a game among friends, but i would also have given him the 6 if you conceded the putt and he decided to hit it for practice. 

If you do want to get technical, i believe as soon as he says "OK" he has accepted the gimme and his play on the hole is concluded. So he would have a 6

That’s how I felt that it was a 6. It’s not like he was hitting a second drive or putting another ball down after he shanked one from the fairway. 

Me and two of the guys in our group all went to law school, including the one who was given the gimme and subsequently missed. So, the rest of the day if he had a gimmie he wanted to putt out, he would say “I’m accepting my gimmie,” pick up his ball, put it back down in the same spot, and announce “this putt is only for practice.”

4 hours ago, DJ07 said:

That’s how I felt that it was a 6. It’s not like he was hitting a second drive or putting another ball down after he shanked one from the fairway. 

Me and two of the guys in our group all went to law school, including the one who was given the gimme and subsequently missed. So, the rest of the day if he had a gimmie he wanted to putt out, he would say “I’m accepting my gimmie,” pick up his ball, put it back down in the same spot, and announce “this putt is only for practice.”

The "ruling" is, if you're not playing by the Rules of Golf you can do whatever you like.

Since it was a friendly game with "gimmies at double or worse" once a guy gave it to him, according to your own rules, I agree with you; it's over and his 6th shot was a practice shot.

• Like 1

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

From a UK perspective it is tough to understand how any ‘given/gimmee’ putt has anything to do with a score that might be registered for handicap, however I know that there are a set of rules to define ‘most likely score’.

If the player had picked up what should his ‘most likely’ score have been? If it was 6 then how often is this anomaly (it was demonstrably missable) the case? Or is it so rare as to be statistically irrelevant (given 8 out of 20)? In games when a lot of 4-8 footers are conceded do you just keep a record and ensure at the end of the round an assumption that 50%(?) are holed? or do you take it on a case by case basis?

Edited by Deceptively Short
Misspelling

11 minutes ago, Deceptively Short said:

From a UK perspective it is tough to understand how any ‘given/gimmee’ putt has anything to do with a score that might be registered for handicap, however I know that there are a set of rules to define ‘most likely score’.

If the player had picked up what should his ‘most likely’ score have been? If it was 6 then how often is this anomaly (it was demonstrably missable) the case? Or is it so rare as to be statistically irrelevant (given 8 out of 20)? In games when a lot of 4-8 footers are conceded do you just keep a record and ensure at the end of the round an assumption that 50%(?) are holed? or do you take it on a case by case basis?

The current USGA handicap rules say that a picked up putt of five feet or less is to be considered as holed in one stroke for handicap posting purposes. Here’s a chart (I hope it passes properly) from Handicap rule 3.3:

Most likely scores should be determined on any hole in accordance with the following guidelines:

Position of the Ball

Strokes to be Added

If the ball lies on the putting green, and is no more than 5 feet (1.5 metres) from the hole:

Add one additional stroke.

If the ball lies between 5 feet (1.5 metres) and 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:

Add 2 or 3 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

If the ball lies more than 20 yards (20 metres) from the hole:

Add 3 or 4 additional strokes, depending on the position of the ball, the difficulty of the green and the ability of the player.

Thank you for this, so every 5 footer is considered as holed.
If you are playing in a competition and you miss, say, 5 putts of under 5 foot then do you record them as holed or by actively missing them (as it is a strokeplay competition) you actually record a score (for handicap purposes) 5 shots higher.

Only I play with a lot of golfers whose handicaps would be considerably different if they could pick up every 5 footer or less.

52 minutes ago, Deceptively Short said:

If you are playing in a competition and you miss, say, 5 putts of under 5 foot then do you record them as holed or by actively missing them (as it is a strokeplay competition) you actually record a score (for handicap purposes) 5 shots higher.

Only I play with a lot of golfers whose handicaps would be considerably different if they could pick up every 5 footer or less.

Let's get this sorted - in North America, our handicap Rules require us to post all scores - those in match play, those in casual stroke play and those in stroke play competitions.  In stroke play competitions, all putts must be holed (unless the stroke play competition is Stableford or Maximum Score).  When a ball is not holed on a hole, such as when there is a match play concession, a blob in Stableford, or a player just picks up his ball, the handicap authorities, for handicap posting only, require us to post the "most likely score" for that hole, and the table that Sawgrass has posted is used to determine that most likely score for handicap purposes only.

This is different than in the UK and Europe where, as I understand it, only stroke play competition scores are used for handicap purposes, and there is no need for a "most likely score".

And yes, in casual stroke play rounds, we do concede putts, consistent with the players in the group(s).

Edited by rogolf
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Deceptively Short said:

If you choose to putt after the concession, your actual score rather than “most likely” is posted. 

Think it is about covered:

1. Conceded putts only exist in match play

2. When a putt is conceded what after that does not matter for 'score'.

3. Despite a putt being conceded if you go on to putt and miss you would record the higher score for handicap purposes

4. If you have a putt conceded and do not putt, for handicap purposes you record you most likely score  https://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/handicapping/roh/Content/rules/3 3 When a Hole is Started but Player does not Hole Out.htm 

The only disagreement I have is on item 3 - not sure where it is in the RoG, but I thought if a putt was conceded inside 5 feet unless you made full effort to still hole it you do not take the higher score Handicap purpose. 

• Like 1

So if you play in group A that plays casual strokeplay golf, which is posted for handicap purposes, they can have a ‘circle of friendship’ 10 feet in diameter and still be in accordance with the rules for posting?
However, if you play in group B that insists on holing everything in casual strokeplay golf, again which is posted for handicap purposes, the Handicapping authorities deem that the handicaps of the members of both groups are comparable.

Surely wouldn’t it be easier to say that in strokeplay scores for handicapping purposes, everything is holed? 
I know a lot of golfers (high and low handicappers) whose handicap indexes would be significantly different dependent on whether they played all their golf in Group A or B.

2 minutes ago, Deceptively Short said:

So if you play in group A that plays casual strokeplay golf, which is posted for handicap purposes, they can have a ‘circle of friendship’ 10 feet in diameter and still be in accordance with the rules for posting?
However, if you play in group B that insists on holing everything in casual strokeplay golf, again which is posted for handicap purposes, the Handicapping authorities deem that the handicaps of the members of both groups are comparable.

Surely wouldn’t it be easier to say that in strokeplay scores for handicapping purposes, everything is holed? 
I know a lot of golfers (high and low handicappers) whose handicap indexes would be significantly different dependent on whether they played all their golf in Group A or B.

As the old saying goes, the guys that are conceding and picking up 10-footers are “only hurting themselves”. Their handicap would be significantly lower than it should be and would have zero chance in any net game. 

They’ll also be the first to accuse all the net winners of being a sandbagger. 

The USGA doesn’t care if you have an artificially low cap. Everyone in the field cares if you have an artificially high cap. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, rogolf said:

Let's get this sorted - in North America, our handicap Rules require us to post all scores - those in match play, those in casual stroke play and those in stroke play competitions. 

What about practice rounds? Do you have to post them as well? How can you practice on the course if you always have to post the score?

10 hours ago, rogolf said:

Let's get this sorted - in North America, our handicap Rules require us to post all scores - those in match play, those in casual stroke play and those in stroke play competitions.  In stroke play competitions, all putts must be holed (unless the stroke play competition is Stableford or Maximum Score).  When a ball is not holed on a hole, such as when there is a match play concession, a blob in Stableford, or a player just picks up his ball, the handicap authorities, for handicap posting only, require us to post the "most likely score" for that hole, and the table that Sawgrass has posted is used to determine that most likely score for handicap purposes only.

This is different than in the UK and Europe where, as I understand it, only stroke play competition scores are used for handicap purposes, and there is no need for a "most likely score".

Not quite. In WHS you register any stroke play round to be a handicap round simply by informing your marker before commencing the round. Afa MLS is concerned in WHS uses that only if you do not complete your round. If you do not have a score on any hole of a complete round the system will calculate a net double bogey for you but it is recommended that you do not mark that yourself but leave the box empty. Also if you score say 11 on a hole you mark that 11 and the system does the calculation by reducing sufficient number of strokes (for handicap purposes only).

3 hours ago, Mr. Bean said:

Not quite. In WHS you register any stroke play round to be a handicap round simply by informing your marker before commencing the round. Afa MLS is concerned in WHS uses that only if you do not complete your round. If you do not have a score on any hole of a complete round the system will calculate a net double bogey for you but it is recommended that you do not mark that yourself but leave the box empty. Also if you score say 11 on a hole you mark that 11 and the system does the calculation by reducing sufficient number of strokes (for handicap purposes only).

Your version of WHS is obviously different than ours.  We have now requirement to inform anyone before commencing a "handicap round".  And we have no requirement to enter scores hole by hole, we can just enter the total gross score (adjusted for net double bogey, including MLS for holes not completed, or par plus handicap strokes for holes not played).

Could it be argued that groups who putt everything out in casual golf, whilst remaining within the handicapping rules, are manipulating their handicaps higher than those, also complying with the correct procedure, are conceding putts within the allowed 10 foot ‘circle of friendship.