Whats the thin Grip tape used by OEMS??

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You guys must be nuts.  That crap is horrible to work with.  You won't find it anywhere other than in Asian factories.  Ask anyone who does a lot of regripping and they hate the stuff.  Good tape is w

The thin stuff just breaks. I find normal double sided tape to be easier. All you have to do with the thicker stuff is heat it up alittle bit to loosen and you can pull it off in nearly one piece. 

I always love when I pull a grip and that stuff is under there. It is so much easier to remove than regular double faced tape. 

Posted Images

Masking tape!! I don't even think that it's double sided tape.  It is put on with space between it so that the grip and hold on to the steel of the shaft when it dries but slides on easily when the solvent is applied. I think they have a high speed machine that puts it on there with the quickness also.  It is easy to clean no doubt but I still think that double sided tape is the best way to go when you are only doing a set of clubs and not thousands! 

No, the stuff MKTROUT is talking about is a very thin adhesive.  Not quite transparent, but very lightly opaque.  I've seen in on TM clubs when I re-gripped them. and maybe a couple of Mizuno wedges, but cant remember.  Its like a very thing double layer of adhesive, not even a tape.  Once you hit it with mineral spirits it cleans up easily, like it was glue.  I have two Tensei fairway wood pulls and a set of KBS Max pulls, from M5 fairways and M6 Irons.

I rolled the grips back a bit and the Tensei tape is a bit thicker but still not like your average double-sided grip tape.  The irons are even thinner, you can easily see the chrome through the tape.

8791A529-E7E3-4D79-9086-3B27006A8419.jpeg.a34f4528effc8161246f775cbc3ba1d1.jpeg

64EE73E0-FDFF-45B8-91FA-0BEED0B59129.jpeg.e623f5e02c04b92215ad932ee9382962.jpeg

8C872233-2F7C-407A-B706-36E6BACF1128.jpeg.3f3d3dae33f6b75de1e744de429be8e6.jpeg

Edited by dbdors

Woods: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 8*, Fujikura Ventus 6 S, TM M5, 13*, MC Diamana Thump 75S

Hybrids: TEE CBX 119, 19* & 22*, KBS Tour Hybrid Prototype 85S+

Irons: TM M6, 5-PW, Accra 80i

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 2, 50*, 55* & 60*, Accra 80i

Putter: SC Special Select Newport, 355g, KBS CT Tour, 33”, SS Mid-slim 2.0

Ball: Maxfli TourBag/Cart: '20 Nike Air Hybrid/BagBoy Quad XL

Accessories: SkyCaddie SX400/Nikon Coolshot Pro Stabilized

The thin stuff just breaks. I find normal double sided tape to be easier. All you have to do with the thicker stuff is heat it up alittle bit to loosen and you can pull it off in nearly one piece. 

• Like 2

Titleist TS3 9.5 Diamana BF 60x Taylormade M5 14* Rogue Black 110MSI 70TS | Ping G410 19* Tensei Blue 80s | Srixon z585/z785 4-PW Project X LZ 6.0 Titleist Vokey SM7 50F 56S 60S Blue Slate Modus 125s Lajosi DD201 Longneck 360g | Taylormade TP5x Yellow

20 hours ago, Socrates said:

You guys must be nuts.  That crap is horrible to work with.  You won't find it anywhere other than in Asian factories.  Ask anyone who does a lot of regripping and they hate the stuff.  Good tape is worth its weight in gold.  Easy to put on and easy to peel off.  And it's the correct thickness.

I thought I was the only one, for a second. Double sided tape when heated with a heat gun pulls right off. 

• Like 1
On 9/17/2020 at 8:04 PM, North Butte said:

We must be talking about different stuff. I can peel it off the butt of a club in half a minute with my bare hands, no heat, no scraping.

Yes I think so. The stuff I’ve seen under some grips requires a razor blade to scrape it off. It’s almost like what’s left when you peal off a very heavy duty decal. Just a thick layer of adhesive. 

10 hours ago, Colej said:

Yes I think so. The stuff I’ve seen under some grips requires a razor blade to scrape it off. It’s almost like what’s left when you peal off a very heavy duty decal. Just a thick layer of adhesive. 

The stuff I've seen on recent Cleveland clubs and on other some clubs a while back (might have been Mizuno? maybe Titleist? not sure) is just translucent plasticky stuff that doesn't adhere all that firmly to the shaft. When I cut the grips off, it was already as easy to pick off cold as regular tape is after getting it really hot with a hair drier. And it also comes off without breaking into pieces too bad.

Just use a heat gun or hair drier before peeling off old tape. It’s way easier to remove (as other posters have mentioned). 

I used to put 1 layer of duct tape on the shaft before putting down double sided-tape. It builds the grip up just a touch, and the old tape comes off the duct tape very easy when regripping. 

Now I blow on my grips — it’s so fast and easy that I’ll never go back.