I want to play a game.... bwahahaa. Anti-left bag set up

Mookieb10

BACKGROUND: skip to the “challenge” section if you want to get right to the task...
I’ll post follow ups and pictures after this is all done. 

So I think you WRX’ers will like this task. To get to the point, my cousin is coming back to the game after about 15 years off. I really want him to enjoy himself because I love spending time with him and golf is a great medium for that. Here’s the catch, he was quite a good amateur and high school golfer, but he’s a perfectionist with a horrific temper. About six years ago I got him to play a couple rounds at Foxwoods, the second day he hit a drive on the 6th hole that looked perfect for 150 yards then took a horrific left hook. He was in his follow through position, and all in one motion, tomahawked his driver 30 yards and drove off the course and back to the craps table. In short, he hates, Hates, HATES to see the ball go left. 

So two weeks ago, the day before my wedding, I got cousin to play with me and a few other groomsmen. He quite enjoyed himself. He still has a gorgeous motion (although not tons of speed anymore), very Vijay Singh like, including that deep “reverse C” finish. He expressed the desire to continue to play a bit. He has a bag set up that’s 20 years old, and being the hhhooo that I am, I stated “I can set up a bag for you that won’t go left.”  

CHALLENGE: 

Out of my unused equipment, can you help me put together the most anti left bag possible? Remember, he’s used to playing a 250 cc driver with a 43.5” length, so we have a bunch of choices. 

Driver Head Choices:  Hot Melting is possible for all. 

Mavrik Max 9*- currently 202g

G 400 Max 10.5* 195g

TM Mini Driver 11.5* unknown headweight

G 400 LST (If needed, but I like this head) 8.5* 203g

Driver Shaft Choices: All shafts besides Pro White and Aldila 130 can be tipped at least an added 3/4” from their current state. Aldila and Pro White cannot be made any shorter. Pro White is already tipped quite extensively, guestimate 1 1/2”. 

Fuji Evo 4, 7x

Accra TZ6, 5x

Tensei Pro White, 6x

Aldila Green Graphene Proto, 6x

Aldila 130 msi silver, 6s

UST proforce V2, 7x and 8x

Oban Devotion 5, 6s

My Thoughts: I can’t see any scenario where I can get the Mav Max to work, and I don’t really want to part with the 400lst if I don’t need to. So, we are left with the

mini driver or the g400 max. I just don’t think it’s proper to introduce him to 20 years worth of innovation by giving him a driver head as small as the mini driver, so I’m leaning 400max. 

Now, at 195 grams currently, and the fact that I’m probably gunna have the driver play at 44.25”, that leaves at least 8 grams of hot melt we can jam low into the toe. Maybe I’ll order a slightly lighter weight so we can jam 10-12 grams out there. So we’d be left with a 44.25” Ping g410, set to the “- -“ setting, so it would be open and loft lowered 1 degree. I have no initial thoughts about the shaft. I’m open to any thoughts. 

Wood Choices: Hot melting is an option, headweights unknown...

Taylormade M5, 3 wood

Taylormade Tour issue M6, 3 wood

Ping g 410, 3 wood

Tour Edge Exotics (the new one, I forget the name), 5 wood

Ben Hogan (new version), 5 wood

Cally Epic Flash, 5 wood

Shaft Choices:

Fuji Evo 4, 7x

Accra TZ6, 5x

Tensei Pro White, 6x

Aldila Green Graphene Proto, 6x and 8x

Aldila 130 msi silver, 6s

UST proforce V2, 7x and 8x

Oban Devotion 5, 6s

My Thoughts: 

That sole plate on the M5, thrown all the way fade side, is very influential... the only part I don’t know is this. Let’s say we go with the Epic Flash 18*, if we put a left handed tip on it and lower loft 2*, and open the face 4* AND we are able to jam 6-8 grams hot melt in the toe, which would have more effect? I have no clue. 

Irons and Wedges:

Not only must I choose between sets, but what I’m really interested in is loft/lie adjustments...

Ping iblade, 5-pw, C-Taper S+

Bridgestone j15 mb, 4-pw, X100

Srixon 585/u85 combo, 4-6 u85, 7-p 585, S300. 

Wedges: I think I’ll throw in a super lightly used set of TM High Toes, 50, 54 and 58, but these don’t matter much. 

Thoughts: this one is tough. I’m not gunna pay to pull shafts and stuff like that. The I-blades with the C-Tapers would be stout!! He wouldn’t overpower the S3’s. My initial thoughts are to give him the Srixon combo and bend them 3* weak and 3* flat, but I can be sold on any direction. 

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your cousin has a hard-left swing, you efforts may be for naught. Horrific temper can get in the way of being good amateur. Reminds me of my adventures with Mr. Smoke.

Two years ago, I end up in a group with "Mr. Smoke" at a local senior league championship. My cart partner and I get delayed at the turn trying to buy Gatorade, and take about 10 minutes to get to No. 10 tee. Mr. Smoke is ready to go, yells at us, and hooks a drive deep into the treelined hazard. We hit our drives, and Mr. Smoke hooks a second drive deep into the hazard.

He hands in the scorecard he is keeping, blames me for ruining his round, and storms out of the tournament.

Two years later, it's the same tournament, and out of 100+ golfers who do I get paired with? Mr. Smoke! All goes well until the 18th hole. I show him a Google map picture of the hole (common knowledge of course), and he pushes a high drive that clips the trees... and disappears on the edge of the hazard! (At least the hook is gone).

He then yells at me for not warning him of trees on the right (hey, I'm not your caddie... rules....).  He returns to the tee, hits a super drive, and then goes into chop mode, missed four straight shots. He then withdraws from the tournament and has angry words with the officials.

Just a warning - a no-left driver may not be enough to civilize your cousin. Good luck!

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

33 minutes ago, Mookieb10 said:

I can do that. Are the “align” grips same as “reminder” grips?

Yup.  Or you can buy a reminder kit (Golfworks sells them) and let him choose the grip he wants.

Ping G410 Driver
Cally Epic 4 Wood

Founders Club 200 Series MBs or BeCu Ping Eye2 or MacGregor CB92s, Ping Eye2 SW

Ping Zing2, MyDay in BeCu or Goodwood SS Sunday

4 hours ago, ChipNRun said:

If your cousin has a hard-left swing, you efforts may be for naught. Horrific temper can get in the way of being good amateur. Reminds me of my adventures with Mr. Smoke.

Two years ago, I end up in a group with "Mr. Smoke" at a local senior league championship. My cart partner and I get delayed at the turn trying to buy Gatorade, and take about 10 minutes to get to No. 10 tee. Mr. Smoke is ready to go, yells at us, and hooks a drive deep into the treelined hazard. We hit our drives, and Mr. Smoke hooks a second drive deep into the hazard.

He hands in the scorecard he is keeping, blames me for ruining his round, and storms out of the tournament.

Two years later, it's the same tournament, and our of 100+ golfers who do I get paired with? Mr. Smoke! All goes well until the 18th hole. I show him a Google map picture of the hole (common knowledge of course), and he pushes a high drive that clips the trees... and disappears on the edge of the hazard! (At least the hook is gone).

He then yells at me for not warning him of trees on the right (hey, I'm not your caddie... rules....).  He returns to the tee, hits a super drive, and then goes into chop mode, missed four straight shots. He then withdraws from the tournament and has angry words with the officials.

Just a warming - a no-left driver may not be enough to civilize your cousin. Good luck!

nope. He’ll never be right in the head. But I can promise, he’ll never be Señor Smoke. His seething anger is internalized unitl it explodes. But never blame someone else. I can promise you, he’s not a typical ill-temped golf Word not allowed hole. He’s a funny Word not allowed. His anger would keep you laughing for days. 

Have him visit a third world country for a while.  Maybe then he'll realize a day playing golf is a pretty damn good one.  Also maybe lessons if his miss is a hard hook, 3* flat is quite the band aid.  I personally also hate seeing the ball go left.  That said, not familiar with the equipment you listed though my Mizuno CLK hybrid is very neutral both in setup and in ball flight.  Doesn't get much love out there but it flat out works.

Here's what I recommend:

G 400 Max set to flattest lie shafted with the Proforce V2 7x straight in @ 44.5". Shouldn't need more than 8-10g hotmelt.

G 410 3w shafted with the Speeder Evo IV 7x @ 43.5"

TEE 5w Shafted with the V2 8x at 43"

You may need a little hotmelt or lead tape on the FWs too.

Bridgestone Irons

Lastly, look at his setup and make sure he isn't aligning himself too far right of the target. Better players sometimes get off a bit in that way and the Hooks will beat them down.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

1 hour ago, Ri_Redneck said:

Here's what I recommend:

G 400 Max set to flattest lie shafted with the Proforce V2 7x straight in @ 44.5". Shouldn't need more than 8-10g hotmelt.

G 410 3w shafted with the Speeder Evo IV 7x @ 43.5"

TEE 5w Shafted with the V2 8x at 43"

You may need a little hotmelt or lead tape on the FWs too.

Bridgestone Irons

Lastly, look at his setup and make sure he isn't aligning himself too far right of the target. Better players sometimes get off a bit in that way and the Hooks will beat them down.

BT

Thank you very much. I’ll try that out. That works decent for me too. The Bridgestone irons were really sweet but were standard length, and I play +.5”, so it would’ve been an expensive project.