2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Considering New Irons - Its one of those threads though *beware* ;-)

Exactice808

15 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Hey @NRJyzr  I have enjoyed your post for years! So thank you for the response.

OK so again this will be a blead over from the other thread as I didnt want to derail the other for a "personal" crusade. LOL

So personally  I can attest to the "thought" that PW-7iron down I personally dont see much if any difference.  I posted my numbers to provide personal evidence for me, the 8irons are very identical.  And then show the "strongest" MB (6iron)  I hit it well with no real issues (balls speeds are very similar indicating strike consistencies).  I have a lot of confidence with the MB up to the 6iron. the 5iron and up, not so much HENCE the reason for the MC's (combo)  as I mention in this thread and the other. I AM NOT ashamed or stubborn not to switch if there was a chance to gain something.

This is the dilemma I am stuck when purchasing though.  (AGAIN CHEEEAAAPPP LOL)  I dont want to drop $700 on something that I might have regrets, If i had money to buy multiple sets or money to make custom sets thats one thing. Not my reality though.   My fitter gives me the funny look,  my playing partners give me the funny look,  GolfWRX gives me the funny look lol. My own brain tells me Im stupid.  Yet.  When I put GI's in play.... it does not affect my score. I HAVE NOTHING against GI's I just want a quantifiable benefit. Which, the masses seem to imply exist?

Its been a while since I researched irons as I was happy with what I got, but its funny there are SO many options now.  The odd part as well, for what ever reason now have  a "Tweener" a regular CB,  not a pocket/hollow CB like my AP2s  actual CB's like the titleist CB's.  That was the only one I thought existed and then when straight GI's/SGIs.  

anyways again going to continue and will tag you and others a specific point to discuss.

I can relate to where you're coming from.  I've been traveling the same road for a very long time.  I can't even count the number of times guys have said some form of "why don't you play more forgiving irons" to me.  It's kind of funny to me.  I've messed around with a lot of irons over the years, and I play what I play because it's what I score best with.  When it doesn't quite work any longer, I make a change.  Which is why I don't play a blade in the 17* loft slot any longer.  

I'm a big believer in the concept that golf is most assuredly not one size fits all.  We all use different flexes, clubs with differing spin profiles, different grind preferences.  It's no different here.  High MOI is fine if it suits you, but it also is not for everyone.  There are always tradeoffs.

I've hit Ping G series irons on the course (few years ago).  I could play them just fine in the long irons, but the difference wasn't profound.  I found I couldn't play them in the short irons, even the slightest breeze gave me a ballooned shot (side note: found that odd, as Eye2+ spun *less* for me than my Mizunos).  Tradeoffs.  ?

When you get to what some call "players CBs," there's a lot less difference than you might think, in some of them, anyway.  The MOI difference is minimal.  Research is helpful.  As one example, the MOI of the 919 Tours is only marginally higher than that of the MP-18 or MP-20.  And if you're already comfortable with the MP-20 6 iron (for sake of example), why bother making a switch? 

Unless there's a difference in launch conditions.

Last thought for now....  I can't stand spending a lot on clubs, especially since we're paying for tour usage; I've bought very few clubs new.  If you're inclined to try something, I suggest going used.  There really isn't much difference between the 2020 model of Brand X and the 2017 or 2016 model from Brand X.  IMHO, of course.  ? Much less of a hit if you u load it later.  

Someone mentioned GolfWorks, I think they're very much worth a look if you decide to try something other than the blade route for 6-PW.  Their stuff is quite good, and much more reasonably priced than other options.  If you don't do your own assembly, they'll even do it for you for a few bucks per club.

Thoughts from the "can't sleep" portion of the early morning.  ?

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

15 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

@DMartini @NRJyzr @jpbova @Red4282

OK so I had more thoughts and revelations and reading,  So I wanted to keep the conversation going.  ONLY reason is and again this could be a personal crusade.  GI's work for those that work it may NOT be a catch all unless you PUT enough effort to make them work. MB's could work for a specified player regardless of their handicap.  Example, is Drivers,  There are way less forgiving drivers that players with higher handicaps play like the SLDR/SubZero/LST type low spinning low MOI less forgiving heads because it gives them optimal launch numbers.  

OK moving to the point I wanted to share I have been missing something.  GI's vs actual Cavity backs.  This might be my "window" AP2's are players GI's  meaning hollow/pocket cavities with player like design traditional lofts minimal offset etc.

Yet the CB lines exist that I guess I skipped over thinking if I am going to play a CB which I tested one time, Titleist CBs vs MB's they were the same,  just that the CB's spun a little more and launch a little higher same setup (shaft) But now there are other manufacturers making more CB lines than I realized.

I have been trying to justify the "Forgiveness" and that would be in the GI/Hollow cavity design. completely ignoring the true Cavity Back design.

The TM MC's are super low offset and while they have a pocket I think they are still solid in design, not hollowed like the AP2s.

OK so this then has me thinking,  there HAS to be a benefit to CB's of forgiveness but since I "seem" to strike the ball well enough I dont need to go full hollow cavity, but at least CB's to gain some "additional" forgiveness that could ONLY benefit me?

thoughts? that would be a more "equitable" trade off?  I doubt due to the solid design but perimeter weighting I would not see as much of a potential distance disparity compared to a hollow design? 

There are indeed tradeoffs.  I like to think of the Terry Koehler blog post from years ago, where he mentioned the Apex blade having a much smaller dispersion on good contact than any CB they tested with the robot.  I think someone else has mentioned this in this thread?

I've found similar with my own game, in a prospective purchase, launch monitor session.  Used my set of Golden Rams as the control club, they gave me a shot circle 1/3rd or less the size of anything else i was hitting (5 irons, FWIW).  After all of it, guy told me maybe I should just "stick with those."   LOL

If you're firmly in I gots to know mode, pick up something several years old and give them a shot.  Don't ignore 10+ year old stuff (IMHO again), maybe even grab something kind of classic.  Give them a couple months, see what you get.  Maybe even surf the MPF data and pick something based on MOI, maybe with a CG location that suits your game.  My guess is it won't matter, but it *could*.  ?

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

One thing to also consider is how you strike the ball and how gi clubs interact with the turf.  Very wide soled clubs are difficult for me and I do much better with something thinner.  It seems like something like the jpx forged would be a really good option for you.  The jpx tours are amazing but I just can’t imagine someone who was not a low single digit player not be giving up a lot with them...all of the new TaylorMade irons seem like they would work well for you.  I’m playing ping i500’s and they seem like they would be a good option but they are probably not as small as you are looking for.  It’s hard for me to think that the Titleist t100 or t100s would not be really good for you...they should give you a true players look over the ball but a little forgiveness.

I play to around a 6 hcp and would not really consider them though, even though iron striking is the strong point of my game.  I just don’t think I’m good enough and like to not lose too much distance on slight mishits (on true mishits it doesn’t really matter and nothing is going to help me).  I know that a lot of people seem to disagree but deep down it’s hard for me to imagine that anyone who isn’t a low single handicapper isn’t giving up a lot by playing mb’s or blades.  I see your stats and I can’t really argue it with anything but gut feelings.i just know how much I lose on even slight mishits with blades and that many pga tour pros don’t feel they strike it well enough to play blades.  The good news is that those of us that don’t play to make our living can do whatever makes the game the most enjoyable.  Good luck with the new clubs!  The research and the obsessing is the most fun part!

Did you consider vetting your shaft choice in deeper detail? Do you know the weight configuration that is ideal for you? Pro's sign deals and switch gear but they know setup of irons down to exacting detail and stick with it. Took me 2-3 months to figure out the window that my swing really likes to work in and the why of it. Doing this clusters impact throughout the set. Since then I never even contemplate iron type on the end of head.

• Like 1

Also talking about ap2’s like they are gi is a stretch.  While they do offer forgiveness they are certainly not something that is super forgiving.  If I were in your shoes I would certainly consider the apex or apex pros.  Good forgiveness but a very compact shape.  Are you completely opposed to something like the new p770 or  pxg 0211 (May be too large for your liking but you mentioned budget so the 0311’s are probably out, like they were for me)?  Some people seem to really not like this style but I think they look great at address, in the bag, yet still offer the forgiveness I need (6 hcp who is a good iron player, but still want some help).  People talk a lot about “bad strikes are bad no matter the club” when having this debate and they are absolutely right.  If I really mishit one it doesn’t matter at all.  But there is such a large spectrum of “mishits”.  Where it really matters, to me, is the ones I miss just a little.  If I catch one just a tad fat or a little on the toe with my i500’s I may come up a touch short.  If I do the same with a muscle back I very well may be chipping...

I would try the Maltby TS1’s iron from Golfworks. Blade looks with some built in forgiveness. They have been the best of both worlds for me and the bonus is they are inexpensive, but well worth the money. Have them build you a 6 or 7 iron with your shaft of choice and specs. I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

Edited by Golf4lifer

17 hours ago, Pepperturbo said:

When I say lazy - what I mean is recently my buddy handed me his Ping 5i and nonchalantly I stepped over the ball and smacked it straight 180yds.  I knew what the head would do, I can't do that with 620MB 5i or any of them.  You'd think the 620MB PW would compare to Vokey PW, it feels completely different.  When over my MB's I have to pay closer attention to my take away, tempo and hip/shoulder turn away as all of it influences where the club head is when it drops into the slot, and reaches impact.  It's only a dime sweet spot (figuratively) so easy to fractionally miss and lose 10+yards, especially when I want to hit the ball hard. 

One other aspect of this, for me at least, I am dyslexic and have a minor case of ADD, plus the brain operates on warp speed with rare quotient.  So, anything that helps force me to focus is to my advantage.  Part of the reason I was a good 600-700 meter shooter when younger, but that's a different subject. 

I am not saying my stuff applies to anyone else.  Just that I learned from forgiving X-Forged GI heads (played from 2006-2016) and blades before and since, what I need to be aware of and do to hit either of my irons.  Though I am playing good golf with 620MBs and 620CB's purchased Oct 2019, I am still getting comfortable with their demands.  Have a good weekend of golf.

@Pepperturbo, I completely understood what you meant about "lazy" not lack of concentration,  Just the mind set.  It was funny in the other thread, when that was brought up. It was received like people "choose" to lose concentration. Which its not.  We just know what we got to do with the iron in our hand.  and more so If we have enough info, we start to predict our miss.   That is the biggest issue I seem to have with the GI's I cant predict the miss. outside of it going left,  Left long, left short, but left LOL.

Also 10 years Army part of a PSD team, I was part of a 12 man cell.  I was the teams "overwatch" so VERY familiar with long range calculations (hence the details in post)  So I totally understand. I have books upon books of ballistic data from those days. 

Anyways I think especially for GolfWRXer's the rules seem to really broaden.  compared tot he everyday amateur.  So saying you are a 12hdcp you need to play GI's is what frustrates me.  Yet 12 hdcp can come from Driver, Wedges and Putts as well.  Not just from Irons. Which over course you seem to support, understand and edify and I appreciate it!  Again this thread is a semi crusade to help those that have this dilemma not fear to speak out if they feel truths within their game.  I expected to get flamed but everyone has been pretty supportive! I was wondering if and when they would come out to denounce a 12hdcp playing blades LOL!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

7 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

I can relate to where you're coming from.  I've been traveling the same road for a very long time.  I can't even count the number of times guys have said some form of "why don't you play more forgiving irons" to me.  It's kind of funny to me.  I've messed around with a lot of irons over the years, and I play what I play because it's what I score best with.  When it doesn't quite work any longer, I make a change.  Which is why I don't play a blade in the 17* loft slot any longer.  

I'm a big believer in the concept that golf is most assuredly not one size fits all.  We all use different flexes, clubs with differing spin profiles, different grind preferences.  It's no different here.  High MOI is fine if it suits you, but it also is not for everyone.  There are always tradeoffs.

I've hit Ping G series irons on the course (few years ago).  I could play them just fine in the long irons, but the difference wasn't profound.  I found I couldn't play them in the short irons, even the slightest breeze gave me a ballooned shot (side note: found that odd, as Eye2+ spun *less* for me than my Mizunos).  Tradeoffs.  ?

When you get to what some call "players CBs," there's a lot less difference than you might think, in some of them, anyway.  The MOI difference is minimal.  Research is helpful.  As one example, the MOI of the 919 Tours is only marginally higher than that of the MP-18 or MP-20.  And if you're already comfortable with the MP-20 6 iron (for sake of example), why bother making a switch? 

Unless there's a difference in launch conditions.

Last thought for now....  I can't stand spending a lot on clubs, especially since we're paying for tour usage; I've bought very few clubs new.  If you're inclined to try something, I suggest going used.  There really isn't much difference between the 2020 model of Brand X and the 2017 or 2016 model from Brand X.  IMHO, of course.  ? Much less of a hit if you u load it later.  

Someone mentioned GolfWorks, I think they're very much worth a look if you decide to try something other than the blade route for 6-PW.  Their stuff is quite good, and much more reasonably priced than other options.  If you don't do your own assembly, they'll even do it for you for a few bucks per club.

Thoughts from the "can't sleep" portion of the early morning.  ?

SO SORRY if I am keeping you awake with such a thread LOL!  So since my Irons are 6 years old and I got some mileage I thought about getting myself something new.  My buddy who is a Low single and from the tips I might add, just got hooked up from his distributor buddy (partly why I am looking) with a whole new set, Driver down to wedges.   He plays Titlest MB's but now switched to a full TM bag with the new P7MB's we are in lock down right now, but he should be getting them as soon as the lock down is lifted and all the photos LOOK BEAUTIFUL!.

Anyways. I have been looking at clubs but as prior mention the used market is soaked up due to COVID19, something specific I am looking for is well non existent it seems.  The price different for a used set and a new set seem nominal so it might just be better to get new.  But I will continue my search.  The more and more I look though to be 100% honest. I am really finding myself being pulled to the Cobra King MB/CB combo.  The black looks sick and at least the combo which I sorta already have, will just flow.  I want to go visit my shop when this lock down is lifted..... grr. LOL

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

4 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

SO SORRY if I am keeping you awake with such a thread LOL!  So since my Irons are 6 years old and I got some mileage I thought about getting myself something new.  My buddy who is a Low single and from the tips I might add, just got hooked up from his distributor buddy (partly why I am looking) with a whole new set, Driver down to wedges.   He plays Titlest MB's but now switched to a full TM bag with the new P7MB's we are in lock down right now, but he should be getting them as soon as the lock down is lifted and all the photos LOOK BEAUTIFUL!.

Anyways. I have been looking at clubs but as prior mention the used market is soaked up due to COVID19, something specific I am looking for is well non existent it seems.  The price different for a used set and a new set seem nominal so it might just be better to get new.  But I will continue my search.  The more and more I look though to be 100% honest. I am really finding myself being pulled to the Cobra King MB/CB combo.  The black looks sick and at least the combo which I sorta already have, will just flow.  I want to go visit my shop when this lock down is lifted..... grr. LOL

I did sorta point you in the direction of the Cobra CB/MB set a few posts ago...

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

Did you consider vetting your shaft choice in deeper detail? Do you know the weight configuration that is ideal for you? Pro's sign deals and switch gear but they know setup of irons down to exacting detail and stick with it. Took me 2-3 months to figure out the window that my swing really likes to work in and the why of it. Doing this clusters impact throughout the set. Since then I never even contemplate iron type on the end of head.

Hey @Nard_S!  I think you have seen my post enough to know I am a huge shaft proponent!  With that, I have NOT vetted my shaft to extreme details, but I have messed around and swapped a bunch to zero in on specific points yes.  85gr R back in the day, to Dynalite XP115 S300, to DG X100, to Nippon 1150GH stiff, to current PX 6.0 rifles.   I did a heavy testing during the Dynalite and the Nippon days.  When I switched from X100 (fun test) to the Nippon it was for a specific shot window and take a load off the body.  I was trying to get 100ft peak height with X amount of spin per iron.  This was achieved.  The Mizuno optimizer game me the 3 standard, DGS300, KBS Tour Stiff and the PX6.0.   SO when the Cobra's fell in my lap with 6.0 I had to try.  Been playing the ever since.

The 120 was the happy middle from X100 (130gr) & the 1150GH (115gr) if you look at my launch data I posted prior, the AP2 and MB's launch super close to 22* giving me the 100ft height.  The spin that day seemed a little high for my normal 8iron. But that also indicates at my weaker striking days the spin is not drastically higher so on normal days I can lower the spin rate.

All in all I personally feel that the PX6.0 are working well for my swing,  I dont mind searching again, but the basis of my swing profile, likes the 120gram shafts,  I swing a stiff well and the launch low to mid launch shaft would work fine so at least I have that nailed down to a certain extent LOL! 

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

3 hours ago, jomatty said:

Also talking about ap2’s like they are gi is a stretch.  While they do offer forgiveness they are certainly not something that is super forgiving.  If I were in your shoes I would certainly consider the apex or apex pros.  Good forgiveness but a very compact shape.  Are you completely opposed to something like the new p770 or  pxg 0211 (May be too large for your liking but you mentioned budget so the 0311’s are probably out, like they were for me)?  Some people seem to really not like this style but I think they look great at address, in the bag, yet still offer the forgiveness I need (6 hcp who is a good iron player, but still want some help).  People talk a lot about “bad strikes are bad no matter the club” when having this debate and they are absolutely right.  If I really mishit one it doesn’t matter at all.  But there is such a large spectrum of “mishits”.  Where it really matters, to me, is the ones I miss just a little.  If I catch one just a tad fat or a little on the toe with my i500’s I may come up a touch short.  If I do the same with a muscle back I very well may be chipping...

So this will be completely personal and subjective!  the AP2's in my personal opinion are "Players GI's" Not full blown GI's.  To me when a Hollow cavity or pocket cavity exist, to me that becomes a GI in my personal book.  Offset as well that exceeds a Blade offset to me is a GI.  There are a couple of CB (solid cavity backs) with no offset so I consider those players CB's  but again its the hollow cavity that pulls the AP2's away from that category.

Shape is not an issue for me,  Offset is definitely an issue.  The more offset the hard I have and required a transition time. I dont think I would have an issue transitioning, just have to go through that period. 

EXACTLY right about misses.  this again is the bleed over from the other thread. I was trying to explain the MISS on the GI's for me were NOT preferred. compared to the MBs.   THE MB's where ALWAYS short,  never once did I have a mishit with the blade retained ball speed, and gave me a low spin higher launch shot.  THE GI on the other hand does this, it retains as much ballspeed, reduces spin and keeps it air borne.  the biggest issue that I have echoed though the GI's are ALWAYS left.  Predictable to this point but then I have a huge proximity of distance.  If you can see my consistency is pretty high 30+ strikes and my extreme spread and ballspeeds are pretty consistent.  What you do so is the GI's have a slightly larger spread than the MB's.  Also my issue is not personally to me a strike location issue. its a face angle issue at impact, closed and left.  GI's likely wont save this shot its going left and missing the green.  The MB is likely short of the green giving me a seemingly more direct recover shot, vs the left side of green either in or near a bunker or short sided in rough.

Anyways sorry to drift but this was the point of this thread.   I looked at the P770 with my buddy when he got his P7MB's.  The lofts are strong to have to sort that out, the offset is not so bad.  The issue again similar to the AP2's are, is the left bias from the offset or is it just the AP2s and the P770 would be more straight.  That is my fear.  Unfortunately PXGs may be outside of my price point I am willing to spend LOL!

anyways thank you very much! for your response! 

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

12 minutes ago, mahonie said:

I did sorta point you in the direction of the Cobra CB/MB set a few posts ago...

EXACTLY Why I started researching them!  thank you for the mention! That really got the blood going for the deep dive of them.  My heart breaks though as there is no "new" sets (price point wise) yet on either the bay or amazon.  just got to keep the eyes open.

someone is selling individual about $159 per +$14.99 shipping each, X 5 = $870.  for PW-6iron.  outside of that the newest sets are going  $1,000 4-PW remember im CHEAP! LOL

HAHAH!!! but again thank you,  really liking the option.  Also still looking and the Mizuno's to try and combo up.... just not seeing the right option yet. 

I really REALLY cant wait till this stupid lockdown is lifted so I can scurry down to the store and see what is in the used/demo area and the new options.....GRRR...3 weeks going and one more week hopefully.......

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

43 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

EXACTLY Why I started researching them!  thank you for the mention! That really got the blood going for the deep dive of them.  My heart breaks though as there is no "new" sets (price point wise) yet on either the bay or amazon.  just got to keep the eyes open.

someone is selling individual about $159 per +$14.99 shipping each, X 5 = $870.  for PW-6iron.  outside of that the newest sets are going  $1,000 4-PW remember im CHEAP! LOL

HAHAH!!! but again thank you,  really liking the option.  Also still looking and the Mizuno's to try and combo up.... just not seeing the right option yet. 

I really REALLY cant wait till this stupid lockdown is lifted so I can scurry down to the store and see what is in the used/demo area and the new options.....GRRR...3 weeks going and one more week hopefully.......

I’m cheap too...my set is the previous model and I got them brand new on close out with a 0% interest payment option...and bent to my specs too!!

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

20 hours ago, dukediv2011 said:

Sub 70! 

I Am shocked!  Sub 70 looks great! I am SUPER duper interested have been reading all weekend about them.

I need to email/make a call out to them though about specific questions.

1) Fearful of shipping, I am on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean

2) Irons specs. I saw the MB/CB combos,  these are 2* stronger in spec.

2a) Would have to;  Dump my current 4 & 5 iron MC's,  To buy the PW-5iron)  This though would cause a gap with my wedge, and take one less club at the top since the 5iron is 25* essential 1* weaker than my current 4 iron. (Interesting LOL) 

2b) With with the PW-6iron as I wanted to keep price down and ask them to bend each iron 2* weaker.

I am not good on mm to inches conversion etc.  But I seems there is a "fair" amount of offset. I tried to read 10pages this weekend through the Sub70 thread, and youtube videos but I dont see a comparison of the MB to regular MB's on the market.  I would like to know how much offset visually (I am saying this rhetorically as I will look it up myself)  BUT I am looking.

Anyways.... It seems like a good option.  Im just sacred of shipping cost. 

There is one LITTLE tiny thing poking at me right now.  Since I did a large research on the Cobra MB/CB combo, one thing that is intersting me is the Tungsten in the Cobra MB's Toe and middle.  The reviews talk about how it makes a "Feel" difference from the prior Gen models.

I dont think Sub70 has the inserts in the 639's series.  Its such a minor thing.  But again I am one to research a lot and "try" to get the biggest bang for the buck!

Thanks again all, keep the suggestions coming! 

Edited by Exactice808

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

2 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

I Am shocked!  Sub 70 looks great! I am SUPER duper interested have been reading all weekend about them.

I need to email/make a call out to them though about specific questions.

1) Fearful of shipping, I am on an island in the middle of the pacific ocean

2) Irons specs. I saw the MB/CB combos,  these are 2* stronger in spec.

2a) Would have to;  Dump my current 4 & 5 iron MC's,  To buy the PW-5iron)  This though would cause a gap with my wedge, and take one less club at the top since the 5iron is 25* essential 1* weaker than my current 4 iron. (Interesting LOL) 

2b) With with the PW-6iron as I wanted to keep price down and ask them to bend each iron 2* weaker.

I am not good on mm to inches conversion etc.  But I seems there is a "fair" amount of offset. I tried to read 10pages this weekend through the Sub70 thread, and youtube videos but I dont see a comparison of the MB to regular MB's on the market.  I would like to know how much offset visually (I am saying this rhetorically as I will look it up myself)  BUT I am looking.

Anyways.... It seems like a good option.  Im just sacred of shipping cost. 

There is one LITTLE tiny thing poking at me right now.  Since I did a large research on the Cobra MB/CB combo, one thing that is intersting me is the Tungsten in the Cobra MB's Toe and middle.  The reviews talk about how it makes a "Feel" difference from the prior Gen models.

I dont think Sub70 has the inserts in the 639's serious.  It such a minor thing.  But again I am one to research a lot and "try" to get the biggest bang for the buck!

Thanks again all, keep the suggestions coming! 

If it helps, 25.4 mm per inch.  ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

If it helps, 25.4 mm per inch.  ?

OH HELL!! OK well Frick....... I said screw it! ORDERED!!!

image.png.db436a23917288cf5493babeac30da23.png

I was fortunate  to have "Cody" the Sales Manager (ext 202), answer my call.  

Well, I may need to shift this to the Sub70 forum, BUT WOW!!!

Personalized customer service,  Cody is well spoken and very customer orientated!  Thank you so much for answering all my questions and Getting my custom order setup!

I am a new Sub70 owner!  Cant wait!!! @JaySub70

• Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

4 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

OH HELL!! OK well Frick....... I said screw it! ORDERED!!!

image.png.db436a23917288cf5493babeac30da23.png

I was fortunate  to have "Cody" the Sales Manager (ext 202), answer my call.  

Well, I may need to shift this to the Sub70 forum, BUT WOW!!!

Personalized customer service,  Cody is well spoken and very customer orientated!  Thank you so much for answering all my questions and Getting my custom order setup!

I am a new Sub70 owner!  Cant wait!!! @JaySub70

some pretty pics going around of the 639s 

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

3 minutes ago, jpbova said:

some pretty pics going around of the 639s 

I was drooling all weekend over them..... Un real!  And I CANT beat the pricing! Its ridiculous!!!!

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 9/19/2020 at 10:22 AM, Exactice808 said:

@Pepperturbo, I completely understood what you meant about "lazy" not lack of concentration,  Just the mind set.  It was funny in the other thread, when that was brought up. It was received like people "choose" to lose concentration. Which its not.  We just know what we got to do with the iron in our hand.  and more so If we have enough info, we start to predict our miss.   That is the biggest issue I seem to have with the GI's I cant predict the miss. outside of it going left,  Left long, left short, but left LOL.

Also 10 years Army part of a PSD team, I was part of a 12 man cell.  I was the teams "overwatch" so VERY familiar with long range calculations (hence the details in post)  So I totally understand. I have books upon books of ballistic data from those days. 

Anyways I think especially for GolfWRXer's the rules seem to really broaden.  compared tot he everyday amateur.  So saying you are a 12hdcp you need to play GI's is what frustrates me.  Yet 12 hdcp can come from Driver, Wedges and Putts as well.  Not just from Irons. Which over course you seem to support, understand and edify and I appreciate it!  Again this thread is a semi crusade to help those that have this dilemma not fear to speak out if they feel truths within their game.  I expected to get flamed but everyone has been pretty supportive! I was wondering if and when they would come out to denounce a 12hdcp playing blades LOL!

People don't chose to lose concentration, except for when they are distracted by an outside source.  It just happens at times when people are really comfortable and maybe not focused.  I know when I miss it's usually long, left too.  Yesterday, I got around finishing 4 over par 71.  Each of the 4 extra strokes I had brain far*s; my version of mentally lazy.  That's the predominate reason I never reached scratch, (minor ADD, dyslexia.)

I have shared it before.  When I took up the game at 40, I bought Pings off the shelve.  My first ever round of golf was 92 from white tees, and I played those irons and woods for 8 months or so before switching to Mizuno blades and woods.  Unlike what goes on too often on Golfwrx, I listen to positive experience from people that don't interject their bias. 

In my case it came from my PGA tour uncle asking me what my game goal was.  When I told him he advised me to get some blades and learn how to properly hit and control the ball, so I did just that.  I didn't have a index then but guessing it would have been 16-17ish.  Inside of 5yrs I reached high single digit, a few years later 4-5, and a low of 2 a few years thereafter.  It's for that reason I see no problem with anyone playing challenging GI or blades regardless of their handi.   It's not my position to tell anyone what they should or should not play. 

I regress nearly every week.  Yesterdays round I hit some mighty good iron shots that required solid ball striking and at 70 yrs old it feel dam good.  My buddy would hit a good shot then I would stick one inside of his.  On a 178 yd Par 3 into a breeze, I yanked a nutted 4i bit past pin high, off to the left of the green on an uphill lie.  He hit short of the green, right with a better angle and shorter.  I chipped to 1' tap in, he didn't execute so wasn't happy.  On a Par 4, I hit driver 10yds behind my buddy's ball.  Leave was 150yd uphill to a front pin, I hit 7i to 3', damn, was it a good strike, the ball just hit and stuck like it had glue on it.  Damn, I love reliving good shots. 

Never heard of Sub 70 till I saw it here.  I checked them out, they look good and priced right.  I was surprised at their head weight.

I wasn't in the military but trained with SOG, Delta and all sorts of agency guys.  You be GOOD man!  I knew there was something I liked about you.  Bold word = been there done that... ?

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 2
  • TSR2 10° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58S
  • TSR2 15° Talamonti PD80R
  • T200 17' 2i Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 95S
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 120S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

1 minute ago, Pepperturbo said:

Can't delete this.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I've looked at Sub70 stuff, but not fond of the loft progression.  Tweaking them to my preferences could give me a weird offset progression, also.

So I console myself with Golden Rams and Mizuno blades.  :pimp:

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

People don't chose to lose concentration, except for when they are distracted by an outside source.  It just happens at times when people are really comfortable and maybe not focused.  I know when I miss it's usually long, left too.  Yesterday, I got around finishing 4 over par 71.  Each of the 4 extra strokes I had brain far*s; my version of mentally lazy.  That's the predominate reason I never reached scratch, (minor ADD, dyslexia.)

I have shared it before.  When I took up the game at 40, I bought Pings off the shelve.  My first ever round of golf was 92 from white tees, and I played those irons and woods for 8 months or so before switching to Mizuno blades and woods.  Unlike what goes on too often on Golfwrx, I listen to positive experience from people that don't interject their bias. 

In my case it came from my PGA tour uncle asking me what my game goal was.  When I told him he advised me to get some blades and learn how to properly hit and control the ball, so I did just that.  I didn't have a index then but guessing it would have been 16-17ish.  Inside of 5yrs I reached high single digit, a few years later 4-5, and a low of 2 a few years thereafter.  It's for that reason I see no problem with anyone playing challenging GI or blades regardless of their handi.   It's not my position to tell anyone what they should or should not play. 

I regress nearly every week.  Yesterdays round I hit some mighty good iron shots that required solid ball striking and at 70 yrs old it feel dam good.  My buddy would hit a good shot then I would stick one inside of his.  On a 178 yd Par 3 into a breeze, I yanked a nutted 4i bit past pin high, off to the left of the green on an uphill lie.  He hit short of the green, right with a better angle and shorter.  I chipped to 1' tap in, he didn't execute so wasn't happy.  On a Par 4, I hit driver 10yds behind my buddy's ball.  Leave was 150yd uphill to a front pin, I hit 7i to 3', damn, was it a good strike, the ball just hit and stuck like it had glue on it.  Damn, I love reliving good shots. 

Never heard of Sub 70 till I saw it here.  I checked them out, they look good and priced right.  I was surprised at their head weight.

I wasn't in the military but trained with SOG, Delta and all sorts of agency guys.  You be GOOD man!  I knew there was something I liked about you.  Bold word = been there done that... ?

Many times,  I have an intellect in my group 172.8 IQ, (something like that) and he said that the .8 is earned and not just a 172.  But he is seriously a rocket scientist.  With that he INTENTIONALLY plays mind games with me all the time....So he keeps my game on my toes all the time. He will try to "break" my concentration which he knows when playing blades has a "higher demand"  Fortunately 7 years later I have developed "some" golf fortitude LOL!

I have many good memories of many good shots, and a very forgetful memory of bad shot LOL or at least I try to lie to myself.  This though DOES sometimes get me into trouble as I DO forget and take on more than I can chew with a lack of legit course management.  I have gone down to a 7 when I had no kids practicing twice a week.  Now armed with more knowledge and a better swing from back then I COULD get lower. Just love my family too much to devote any time away from them.  

Anyways.... I dont doubt I could benefit from some forgiveness, but Its not the end all be all.   I have ordered the PW-8iron MB and 76-6iron CB's so we shall see!

Never heard of them BUT I cant beat the price,  When they mentioned TEENS for shipping! I was sold.  MOST shippers for clubs are $49+  Thats half a cub right there!

AHAHAH,  "Great minds" think alike, especially when ballistic coefficients are involved  AHAH! 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

24 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

I've looked at Sub70 stuff, but not fond of the loft progression.  Tweaking them to my preferences could give me a weird offset progression, also.

So I console myself with Golden Rams and Mizuno blades.  :pimp:

This was my concerd too, But having a nice talk with Cody.  He confirmed that they are Comfortable with bending up to 3*.

My set progression is the Cobra Amp Cell Pro Specs.

PW is 46*.  with a 4* through 6iron then 3* 5,4,3 .  BUT I only got PW-6iron. (or needed that is)

So they spec-ed it , 46,42,38,34,30.  THE BETTER PART,

The offset will then be lessened due to the weakening of the lofts so the offset should be close to my current offset so I wont be too concerned about lefts (I hope)

All in all this might work out WAY better than I expected!  *fingers crossed*!!!!!

Edited by Exactice808
  • Like 1

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 9/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, Exactice808 said:

OK, I have a set of 714AP2's with Nippon 1150gh Stiff & my current Gamer set Cobra Amp Cell Pro's with PX rifle 6.0's (im listing the shafts as I have posted many times I am a proponent to match the shaft to the player.  The shafts are sorta different, but no that far off.)

The 714AP2's originally had X100 and I played these for 3 years (updated shafts and played about the same as I really didnt need the X100s) and played 1 year with the Nippons. I found the Cobra MB Set for (PW-6iron), $129.00 practically brand new.  (you read that right $129 for 5 irons.) So I had to snag them,  Played well with them and gaming them ever since.

these sets are about 6 years old, with good use.  since putting the MB's in play, I have gotten the common, your Handicap doesnt justify the the MB's or only Tour Pro's should be playing MB's yeah ok, Opinions.  I have had good scores and bad scores, have had the best scores of my life 74 (twice), but also shoot 90's once in a while. I hover about 85 on any given day.  I dont claim to be scratch or single, I dont claim qualified to play MB's.  What I claim is that club for club MB vs GI, there is no determinable difference one way or the other.

Honestly,  Partly bias (MB's look nicer), partly ego (I am absolutely playing what I like),  but data to also back it up There is no determinable difference in score to justify one way or the other.

THIS WILL BE A BLEED OVER from the other thread, but specific to me, and specific to the point, I dont have money to buy 2 sets of irons, nor do I want to. I want to buy a set PW-6iron but I am torn where should I actually put my money.

We all know the Facts of MB's vs GI's,  theres been enough threads about the iron debate.  

Personal acceptance: If forgiving irons can HELP I would take it, period I wont deny that.

Personal issues:  I have not found that the forgiveness has lowered my overall score, (to some what validate, same with the driver I have a 915D3 vs Cobra FlyZ+)  The FlyZ doesnt help OB offline shots, when its bad its bad.  the Same goes with the Irons.  having the AP2's doesnt reduce my offline shots or bad strikes.

I have one set of each for back up,  So if my purchase is a bad purchase (which I am trying like hell to avoid at all cost), I can likely go back to a set.   Should I just jump into some GI's spend the money and get it over with?  Next would be..... I am NOT a manufacture snob,  I will play anything that is cost affordable.  So I wont be doing the PXG/XXIO etc...  basically good enough clubs that wont break the bank. What would that be?  As it seem a PW-6i seems like a $700+ purchase....damn.....

CONT.....below... (data points)

Well, as with  many golfers, you seem to have reached your personal performance plateau in scoring. You have both good scoring rounds and some not so well. On the equipment front, you have already demonstrated to yourself that either club style, mb or cb works. So unless you are going to work on your personal swing issues, your misses will continue, no matter what club you use. An honest self assessment is in order . I know that goes against the club ho motto, but there it is. As golfers, we always seek out equipment to solve performance issues, its a lazy fix for some. I know I have done it, sometimes successful, sometimes not. Only you can decide what the short comings in regards to equipment choices and your own abilities you will live with. 

On 9/17/2020 at 2:43 PM, Exactice808 said:

• Like 1

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

@puttingmatt Hey! Exactly.  I have accepted I have reached my ceiling for what I am able to commit right now in my life.  Is it possible for me to reach scratch yes with enough practice. I likely have the actual ability to do so. (opinion of course) But I do not have enough time in the day to commit.  

Outside of that, yes I do have swing issues. ZERO doubt about that.  The point outside of contemplating new irons to which I have ordered with all the great suggestions.

I think I have validated to a degree that a mid capper can have a consist swing. 30 swings 8 & 6 irons 2 different sets yet yield very appreciable results with minimal deviations.   When a bad strike shows up, it shows up. I am not a robot, but its how we recover or where the miss occurs (predictability of the miss) which shows oure abilities.

Anyways.  I found my set so for now, I hope they perform.

The next is helping others validate their abilities and getting them to either the next level or a level they are comfortable with! 

Cobra SZ - Rogue 60s
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 9/21/2020 at 2:10 PM, Exactice808 said:

Many times,  I have an intellect in my group 172.8 IQ, (something like that) and he said that the .8 is earned and not just a 172.  But he is seriously a rocket scientist.  With that he INTENTIONALLY plays mind games with me all the time....So he keeps my game on my toes all the time. He will try to "break" my concentration which he knows when playing blades has a "higher demand"  Fortunately 7 years later I have developed "some" golf fortitude LOL!

I have many good memories of many good shots, and a very forgetful memory of bad shot LOL or at least I try to lie to myself.  This though DOES sometimes get me into trouble as I DO forget and take on more than I can chew with a lack of legit course management.  I have gone down to a 7 when I had no kids practicing twice a week.  Now armed with more knowledge and a better swing from back then I COULD get lower. Just love my family too much to devote any time away from them.  

Anyways.... I dont doubt I could benefit from some forgiveness, but Its not the end all be all.   I have ordered the PW-8iron MB and 76-6iron CB's so we shall see!

Never heard of them BUT I cant beat the price,  When they mentioned TEENS for shipping! I was sold.  MOST shippers for clubs are $49+  Thats half a cub right there!

AHAHAH,  "Great minds" think alike, especially when ballistic coefficients are involved  AHAH! 

Quotient is a diminishing number with age.  Mine was measured by government back in my mid 20's and found unusually high, short of your friend and focused in 3-categories.  My work much easier for me, and answers come very quick compared to others.   Back in the day, I had sight adjustments before my spotter could do the math, and my 3-categories were not math.  Hang in there and aim straight but on Golfwrx allow for windage. LOL

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • Like 1
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

3 minutes ago, Pepperturbo said:

Can't delete.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • T100 3i & 4i MMT 85S
  • T100 5i to 9i MMT 105S
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x

I switched from fly z pro's to some forged tec blacks and gained some distance. Didn't notice a huge difference in scoring but there sure is a difference when hitting shots off the toe. The CBs still get the distance I was looking for while the MBs come up almost 10 yards short, so I'd say go for the CBs. I know some look like model space ships attached to a stick lol especially the (taylormade shovels)but they do seem to help.

• Like 1