Had a fitting, need your help: Mizuno MP20 MMC vs. JPX 921 Forged

3 hours ago, Poolparty said:

Sounds like youre on the verge of a great fitting. Be patient and get it right. I also don't believe PX is unavailable

thanks!  Eager to get them dialed in for 2021 ?  I think Custom orders are sitting around four or five weeks right now. That’ll put us into some pretty chilly weather up here. ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to go to a different fitter with the actual mizuno optimizer and the 921 head that allows shaft changes. What you experienced, and hopefully didn’t have to pay for, is not a fitting. Lead tap

If you weren't starting the fitting with the Mizuno Optimizer, you're missing out. It's a fantastic tool that will greatly narrow down shaft choices. I'm 51 and it put me in DG X-100's last year, and

Im about a 15 handi... score anywhere from 81 on a great day to 94 on a very bad day and average about 86 i would say. I play the mp 20 mmc in nippon 95 stiff shafts. Couldnt be any happier overall. T

On 9/17/2020 at 5:21 PM, ChipNRun said:

Is there any way you could hit something beside 7-iron shots? That's one thing I miss about demo days and expos.

Im 50 yrs old and play competitively at a 1 hncp. Last year when I was looking for my new Mizunos, I checked with different fitters and none of them had anything other than the 7. There is no way you can be fit for a full set of irons only hitting a 7 or 6 iron. Maybe pw-6, but not long irons. 

I finally went to a golf tech to talk to them about irons. Told them I wouldn't buy unless I hit the long irons. The guy called the local Mizuno rep and two days later he had the 4 and 5 irons in the MBs, MMCs and HMBs. He said take them and go hit em. So I did. Took them to PGA superstore and used the trackman to see the numbers.

PGA gave me more for my trade, I bought the MP-20MBs PW-6 and went 3-5 HMBs. HMB long iron numbers were identical to the MMCs. I wish I would have got the MMCs.

In fact I'm considering getting  a new set of MMCs to replace my MBs, currently waffling between MMCs, 921 tour/921 forged. Even considering swapping 4 for a hybrid.

Glad to hear you got some cooperation. A few years back, the OEMs had test sets you could try.

Circa 2014, I was interested in the Bridgestone J40 DPC (dual pocket cavity irons). They sent me two 5i and 9i pairs, one shafted in DG SL R300 (~104 grams) and the other in NS Pro 950GH (~95 grams).

I tried them, and eventually decided to reshaft my Calla X20 Tours in a similar NS Pro 8950GH shaft.

Also, some upscale golf courses have Callaway or TaylorMade rental bags with top notch current iron models included. And, I've seen a couple of demo bags for Muzuno. Only problem is, you don't get much choice on shafts.

At certain early-spring demo days (RIP!) the club reps would have split iron sets available. By this, they would have half an intact-club set (no shaft switching needed) for people to hit. They might have 4-6-8-AW, or 5-7-9-PW. There's nothing like helping the rep take off the cellophane head and grip wraps so you can hit them.

Anyone have insights on availability of test clubs? Probably won't see any normal until post-COVID.

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

On 9/17/2020 at 3:16 PM, quikcolin said:

My only concern with this is the drastic difference between the 921F lofts and the MMC lofts - they would have to be some serious loft adjustments made to blend the set....

Are you sure you're looking at the correct lofts (clubs)? The MMC 7 iron is 32 deg and the 921 Forged is 31 deg. There is only 1 deg difference between these sets, 4-PW. You would not need to adjust any lofts if you combo MMC/921 Forged.

Now if you were to combo the MP20 MBs or the JPX 921 Tours (7 iron 34 deg) with the 921 Forged, you definitely would have to adjust the lofts. The MBs or Tours would be bent 2 deg stronger and the 921 Forged 1 deg weaker. Call Mizuno and tell them you're considering doing a combo set, tell them the clubs and they will tell you exactly what lofts need adjusting. But since you asked about MMC/Forged, the answer is no adjustments at all.

I bag the MP-20 MBs 6-PW and HMB 5-3. I absolutely hate the HMBs, horrible turf interaction, thought I would get used to it but never did. I'm considering the retiring the MBs for a little more forgiveness so I'm also looking at the MMCs 5-PW and doing hybrid 4 or 921 Tour 7-G and the 5 and 6 in Forged with a 4 hybrid. I haven't pulled the trigger yet because I'm worried about the turf interaction with the long iron with the Forged.

Mizuno is not doing any fitting days (outside) yet so I'm in limbo.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, InTheRed said:

Are you sure you're looking at the correct lofts (clubs)? The MMC 7 iron is 32 deg and the 921 Forged is 31 deg. . . .

The P7MC 7 iron is 34º as stated on the website: 

CLUB 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 PW
LOFT 20° 23° 26° 30° 34° 38° 42.5° 47°
LIE 60.5° 61° 61.5° 62° 62.5° 63° 63.5° 64°
OFFSET 2.9mm 2.7mm 2.5mm 2.3mm 2.1mm 1.9mm 1.7mm 1.5mm
LENGTH (STEEL & GRAPHITE)  39.00" 38.50" 38.00" 37.50" 37.00" 36.50" 36.00" 35.75"
SWING WEIGHT (STEEL/GRAPHITE) D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D3 D4 

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

On 9/17/2020 at 8:35 PM, Kyle M said:

You need to go to a different fitter with the actual mizuno optimizer and the 921 head that allows shaft changes. What you experienced, and hopefully didn’t have to pay for, is not a fitting. Lead tape everywhere?  Never ever heard of that during a fitting. Run, don’t walk, from that experience. 

I find this comment (in bold) VERY ODD!

How is the fitter to find the SW / MOI that suits the golfer any other way? That IS a SOMEWHAT IMPORTANT part of a fitting, isn't it? Fitting the club to the golfer!  Are others here going to fittings and just hitting stock heads with different shafts? Any ole swingweight will do? Sorry, but I did fittings in the dark ages and did a better job than that.

BT

Edited by Ri_Redneck

Mizuno ST180 10.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 70 S @ 44.5"
Mizuno JPX 850 3w 14.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 43"
Mizuno JPX 850 7w 19.5 - Diamana Kai'Li 80 S @ 41.5"
Mizuno MP5 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Mizuno MP-T5 52, 56 & 60 - TT Wedge
Grips - Grip Master Master Perforated Midsize