Mitsubishi MMT Taper 125 vs Recoil Proto 125

Based on feedback I have read about these 2 shafts they seem like the best heavier weight graphite options that have a low/mid trajectory and spin but I haven’t seen any direct comparisons.

Has anyone tried both and can offer some thoughts. Happy to hear about Steelfiber 125 as well but prefer the Recoil proto and MMT.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I demoed the 105 TX MMT and thought it was very stable.  Similar, at least for me, to a PX 6.0.  Similar weight at about 113-114g cut weight in the 7 iron demo I built.  Would play it in a heartbeat i

I like mmt 125tx for feel and performance much better than steelfiber in 125x. Steelfiber 110x felt nice for me but was too light.

I am waiting on getting my 125 STIFF MMT's back from my builder, I will report back to you. These are NOT the TX bu the STIFF flex...

I’ve played them all my favorites are the steelfiber 125 and mmt 125. I think they have very similar characteristics but the mmt is maybe plays at a slightly higher swing weight.  I played the steelfibers for years but I switched over to the mmts and really like them and I’m not going back to steelfiber. I liked the recoils too but felt the steelfibers had more feel. 

• 1 month later...

I demoed the 105 TX MMT and thought it was very stable.  Similar, at least for me, to a PX 6.0.  Similar weight at about 113-114g cut weight in the 7 iron demo I built.  Would play it in a heartbeat if my elbow pain flares back up.  It felt more stable than the SF 110 I had played before.  Never was a fan of the Recoil.

The MMT 105 stiff is 105g.  The MMT 105 TX is 114g.  Why don't they just call it the MMT 115??  

Don't overlook the Mitsubishi OTI tour iron.  I demoed it alongside the MMT and both were solid.  

• Thanks 1

TM Sim 8 Ventus Black 6x
Taylormade Sim 15 Accra TZ6
Titeist 818h2 19 Ventus Blue
Srixon Z7 Mitsubishi MMT 105 TX
Vokey SM8 50/54/60
TM Spider X

• 2 weeks later...

I have the recoil proto 125 F5 in my Vegas.  Fell in love with them and this was maybe 9 years ago.  I have had past hand and wrist injuries so I decided no more steel shafts for me.  The recoils do a good job at reducing harsh vibration.  They also aren't boardy which I found pleasantly surprising.  Distance is consistent as well.  I have not yet tested the MMT 125 TX yet, but am eagerly waiting to, my guy just has to get a demo set for me to try.  My plan is to also try the LA GOLF Texas Rebar shafts that BAD is using.  

TM SIM 2, 8* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto TP 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

New Level NLU-01 21* w/KBS Proto 105x

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

• 1 month later...

I've asked my builder to check on availability (Canada).  Hope to hear back early this week

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max 8º (8.75º) w/ Fujikura Motore X F3 65s

Fairway: Taylormade SIM Tour TI (v2) 3w @ 16.4º w/ Diamana TB 70s

Hybrid: Titleist TS3 @ 19º w/ ProjectX Hzrdus Smoke Black 90s

Irons: Miura TC-201 (4-6); MB-101 (7-PW) w/ MMT 105TX (ss*1)

Wedges: Artisan Raw @ 51º, 56º, 61º

Putter: Artisan 0117 Deep Milled

I am currently playing the MMT 125tx that have been soft stepped 1x.  out of the 3 shafts mentioned the MMT have the best feel.  SF and Recoils have a harder more harsh feel.  the MMT shaft you can feel it kick in your swing.

G425 MAX 9*
G425 LST 3W
G425 3H,4H
SRIXON ZX5 5-PW W/ MMT105S HS ONCE.
MG2 48 // MG HT RAW 52, 56
ODYSSEY 2 BALL CS 38"

• 1 month later...
On 1/17/2021 at 12:24 PM, tbone18 said:

I am currently playing the MMT 125tx that have been soft stepped 1x.  out of the 3 shafts mentioned the MMT have the best feel.  SF and Recoils have a harder more harsh feel.  the MMT shaft you can feel it kick in your swing.

What did you do for your wedges? 8-iron shaft or something else?

TSi3 9° Tensei White Prototype 2.0 TX
Epic Flash SZ 15° Kai'li x
Epic Flash 3H 19° Evenflow Black 6.5
i210 4-G Modus3 120x
Glide 3.0 54°/60° Modus3 120x
Spider X Chalk

50 minutes ago, Fairways_and_Greens said:

What did you do for your wedges? 8-iron shaft or something else?

They make a wedge specific shaft in 105 and 125.  I got the 125s and they feel similar to my irons.

G425 MAX 9*
G425 LST 3W
G425 3H,4H
SRIXON ZX5 5-PW W/ MMT105S HS ONCE.
MG2 48 // MG HT RAW 52, 56
ODYSSEY 2 BALL CS 38"

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.