2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Arccos first round

Played my first round with a new set of arccos sensors from the ping promotion. 

Phone in front pocket 

Arccos app only app running 

End of the round it only recorded 15 random putts through out the round. Not anything else. 

Today I loaded up a course across the street from me and hit my 7i on the ground and it recorded that. Moved away from the area and tried an aw. It would not register. Ended the round and started a new one. Not even the 7i will register again. 

Any one have any ideas for what to do? I am using a Samsung s20 plus and even tried taking the Case off. 

Screenshot_20200918-093625.jpg

I played my first round with the Ping promo sensors, and while it did a really good job of detecting the shots - none of the analytics are working.  Everything says "N/A - this will be available after your first 18 hole round."  But there's already an 18 hole round in there - sooo....... wtf.

OG Stealth Graphite Design Ventus TR 60X

Ping 425 Max Hotmelted Tensei Orange 1k

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Epic 3w/5w/4h - Tour AD-DI

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I have an iPhone 11 Pro Max - which has 3 mics and I rarely ever get a driver registered and it misses about 30-40% of my shots.  Phone front pocket - facing up, down, in and out.  No difference.  I have contacted them and their only thing is the sensors must be dead - but how does it register some of the shots.

I am waiting until my Link arrives - hopefully at the end of this month.  If that does not work, then I will work with them on replacing sensors (which are new in June of this year - Gen 2 sensors)

It is an awesome system, but when it does not work, it is kind of pointless.  Spending your round adding shots into the app is no way to keep your mind in the game and it adds frustration for a game where that works against you ?

PXG Gen 5 0311 9º, Kai'li Blue, Titleist TSr3, 9º, Ventus Blue

Titleist TSr2, 15º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSr2, 20º fw, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 21º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist TSi2, 24º Hy, GD Tour AD IZ

Titleist T150 6-48º Tensei AV Blue AM2

Vokey SM9 54º, 60º, Tensei AV Blue AM2

L.A.B. Golf DF3, MEZZ.1 Max reg & Broom,  MEZZ.1, DF 2.1 Reg & Broom

No room to list Bench Warmers 🙂

On 9/19/2020 at 10:37 PM, MysteryV said:

I played my first round with the Ping promo sensors, and while it did a really good job of detecting the shots - none of the analytics are working.  Everything says "N/A - this will be available after your first 18 hole round."  But there's already an 18 hole round in there - sooo....... wtf.

You have to publish the round in the app for the analytics

Just now, bdeblis said:

You have to publish the round in the app for the analytics

Thanks.  Turned out the issue was latency on the servers this weekend which led to bugs.  What I was unable to find during hours of pouring through the documentation (though admittedly multi tasking while watching footbal) - what this:

If a round fails to sync - you can go to the round and LONG CLICK "stats" to force a re-sync.

Published support for Arccos is pretty bad, however the actual support was pretty amazing as I got a response first thing Monday morning after running into a weekend issue.  Very impressive.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I got mine through the Ping promotion as well.  It is weird to get used to and was a giant pain, as I forgot to put the phone in my pocket quite a few times and adding a shot was horribly painful.

I will try it again this weekend, but if it is not any better I am hoping the Link I ordered will arrive soon and maybe that will make it better.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I agree that the App is very hit or miss.  I've had rounds this spring that had very few missed or extra shots, and some where I get a bunch of 1 putts or hole in ones.  I've used 3 different phones over the past few months and none seem to be any more reliable than the others.  I've even taken a phone and basically wiped everything but the arccos app hoping that would minimize the other stuff the phone was doing and that didn't make a difference.  The sensors all work fine if you do the diagnostics on them.  

I'm really hoping the Link fixes this becuase I do love the sensorts and the data I get.  I'm lucky enough to remember my rounds in detail so most days I know what my distances were on teh shots the the app didn't pick up.  But that is a complete PITA.  

I did get an email yesterday stating that all pre-orders have been shipped and they are fulfilling the regular orders in the order they came.  I ordered mine on the 1st day of open orders so I hope to be using it soon.

Okay, I love the data that you get from the app but there have been some issues with e the app detecting shots but I have now got working almost perfectly.

I will preface this by stating that it use iOS, Android appears to be a completely different issue.

1, I found that just using your phone in your front pocket can be problematic, best results were with the phone in the microphone up and facing out.  I would also close all other apps apart from Arccos and place the phone into do not disturb mode

2.  I have an Apple Watch and when I started using this for Shot detection, with the same phone config, it captured approximately 90% of shots, missed a couple of short tap in putts but overall a lot better though some users have found this drains batteries quicklu (I have not experienced this)

3.  Final configuration, that has worked perfectly, is using the link clipped to the outside of my front pocket for shot detection, phone in the same configuration except I also have a scoring app running, my club has implemented the app to reduce contact due to Covid19, and I have my watch just for distance information, this allows me to leave the phone in my buggy.

It takes a bit to get set up correctly but once you do the information that you get from the app is great, it has helped me take 3 shots off my handicap so far and with the shots gain analysis that came through recently I am getting an even better view of where I am leaking shots and what I need to practice.

I hope this helps

I have had terrible issues with my Gen 2 sensors picking up shots - yes I have tried everything with phone positioning, but it misses drivers mostly, and yes there are more than one driver it does this with, and yes I have a Link on order.

This comment is for my latest issue - have you ever played a course that has alternate greens on a hole?  I have one course here in the Cincinnati area that has two greens on a par 3 and after the second time it did this I submitted a help request on Sunday and have not heard anything back from them, so I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this?

What happens is that they only have 1 green in the system and Arccos does not seem to have a clue about how to handle the shots despite it knowing where they went - including putts.  The only way to get around it seems to be to edit the round to put your shots on the wrong green and essentially make it all up, and then to hit the button to play the next hole - otherwise you will lose the par 3 data.

I love Arccos when it works, and the Link is kind of the last shot for me.  The app is clunky at times (when it gets out of place or you forget to say you are starting on the back nine, or many other things), and I would have thought the system would be more refined at this point.  They have to have people using the system and feeding back their comments.

I spend so much time with my phone people think I am texting or reading email and it is not a good thing when you are trying to play your round - I just want yardage and club recommendation based on conditions

I had another few failed rounds of close to zero shots read. 

I am really disappointed in their customer service though. For a company charging for a service you would think that they would be on top of things. It been 7 days since I replied back to a support email. I would expect this from game golf but not for something charging a membership fee. 

I also sent a separate message yesterday morning asking them to cancel my membership. No response at all as of yet. 

5 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

This comment is for my latest issue - have you ever played a course that has alternate greens on a hole?  I have one course here in the Cincinnati area that has two greens on a par 3 and after the second time it did this I submitted a help request on Sunday and have not heard anything back from them, so I wanted to know if anyone has dealt with this?

My home course has a hole with double/alternate greens.  In their course database (i.e. the "Search courses" function), Arccos has two separate listings for my course: one with "- Right(hole#)" appended to the course name, and the other with "- Left(hole#)" appended to it.  If Arccos hasn't already done this for your course already, you'll need to submit a support request.

6 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

What happens is that they only have 1 green in the system and Arccos does not seem to have a clue about how to handle the shots despite it knowing where they went - including putts.  The only way to get around it seems to be to edit the round to put your shots on the wrong green and essentially make it all up, and then to hit the button to play the next hole - otherwise you will lose the par 3 data.

When I begin a round on the Arccos app, I have to choose either the -Left(#) course or the -Right(#) course.  The starter's podium at my course always has a sign indicating whether the Left or Right green is in play for that day.  If I forget to look at that sign and have already made the looong walk to the first tee, I have to take a guess and choose Left/Right in order to begin the round.  If I guess wrong, I'll end up experiencing the issue you described about the app not knowing how to handle the strokes I made on the other green.

(rant) Like many others, I have found Arccos' support to be pretty bad.  Multiple support tickets either go unanswered or are prematurely marked as "Solved" when the problem hasn't actually been resolved.  One frustrating issue I've been dealing with for over a year still isn't fixed:  From Arccos' web-based Dashboard, the Google satellite imagery currently shown for my home course (both the -Left# and -Right# versions) is outdated.  This is really strange because Arccos had been using up-to-date satellite imagery in its Dashboard for a good while, but for some unknown reason sometime last year they switched back to older satellite photos that were taken while the course underwent major renovations several years ago.  At that time, the turf was mostly just bare dirt (no grass) and the shapes and locations of some of the fairways/bunkers/greens were poorly defined or still undetermined.  The GPS coordinates are inaccurate as well.  If I don't go into the Dashboard to make manual edits after each round, the incorrect GPS coordinates will end up skewing my GIR, FIR, chip/down, sand/down, and putting data.  I've wondered if there might be higher licensing fees for up-to-date Google satellite imagery that Arccos is choosing not to pay, and are instead opting for lower-cost outdated imagery?  Regardless, even if Arccos paid and used updated satellite imagery, the GPS coordinates—which they could fix in-house without Google's help—just aren't accurate.  In fact, the GPS coords aren't even consistent between the -Left(#) and -Right(#) course maps... which are actually maps of the same 18 hole course!  Instead of simply using a copy of the 17 single-green holes and only changing the GPS coordinates for just the double/alternate green hole, it looks like Arccos created two completely distinct course maps at separate times and geo-defined all the fairways/greens/bunkers differently. (/rant)

G425 LST 9°  •  3w G425 Max  •  3h G425  •  4i Maltby TS2  •  5i–Pw Maltby TS1  •  50°/54°/58° Maltby TSW  •  Odyssey White Hot OG 1WS

I now have two rounds under my belt with Arccos, and am pretty impressed.  Other than the massive sensors, it seems to beat Shotscope in almost every category.  It detects more shots, it's easier to edit rounds, the data provided seems to be more useful.

The place where Arccos could use some work is in identifying more granular trends for you to work on.  For example, if I see that I'm losing strokes on my putting and chipping, I'd like a little more data on how.  Am I leaving chips and putts short?  Long?  Left?  Right?  

The browser based Players Dashboard provides a little more color - but not a ton.  Shotscope is much better in this regard.  Unfortunately it seems to require much more editing to get rounds to a usable state.

I think I'll likely pay for the annual membership to see how stats shape up over the next year.  It will be interesting to see what the stats look like after some good rounds as the previous two rounds have been an absolute STRUGGLE.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

I played 3 rounds the past 3 days and the app has recorded a total of 3 shots that weren't putts.  I'm on Android and I wonder how much of the issue is the hardware vs the software.  I switch phones pretty often because I do beta testing for my company and my most recent phone is pretty low end.  So processing power is lower, there likely isn't any special audio codecs and the mics probably aren't great.  The sensors always pick up when doing the sensor diagnostics, but don't register during the round.  Phone in the pocket, phone outside the pocket, up down, whatever the shots don't get picked up.  I wish there was a way in the app to hit a ball and see if it had registered as a shot, might help figure out a way to get it to work.  

Hoping that link gets here soon

I did get a response from Arccos support on the multiple greens and they said that they can only have 1 green per hole and that you have to have them create a second course - an L and a R for left and right, but how on earth would you know which green was being used on hole #13?

The other thing is Arccos just sent out a note that the Link sensors that were supposed to be delivered at the end of September, will be delayed 4 weeks and I could cancel my order if I wanted.  Haha - I could cancel it at any time, but what do I have then?  A system where I manually enter shots.

I will try turning off some apps during my next round.  I am wondering if the Hey Siri option is getting me as well, but I am not sure.  Every club in my bag is picked up during the round it is just a low percentage, so that would lead me to believe the sensors are OK but that something is randomly getting in the way.  Obviously the Link would be an option, but I can not get one despite having ordered it in July.

Damn shame so far

4 hours ago, ajlacombe said:

I did get a response from Arccos support on the multiple greens and they said that they can only have 1 green per hole and that you have to have them create a second course - an L and a R for left and right, but how on earth would you know which green was being used on hole #13?

The other thing is Arccos just sent out a note that the Link sensors that were supposed to be delivered at the end of September, will be delayed 4 weeks and I could cancel my order if I wanted.  Haha - I could cancel it at any time, but what do I have then?  A system where I manually enter shots.

I will try turning off some apps during my next round.  I am wondering if the Hey Siri option is getting me as well, but I am not sure.  Every club in my bag is picked up during the round it is just a low percentage, so that would lead me to believe the sensors are OK but that something is randomly getting in the way.  Obviously the Link would be an option, but I can not get one despite having ordered it in July.

Damn shame so far

Right there with you, my Link is delayed 4 weeks.  Really perturbed by the whole issue

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I'm 5 rounds in with Arccos and am liking all of the data it collects. Specifically shot distance.

I have found shot detection is must better when I used my Apple watch. There are far fewer times I have to go in and add a shot it didn't detect.

My trial expires on 10/15 and so far I plan on getting the subscription. Got one more weekend of golf to decide.

I wanted to make sure I stated that I love what Arccos does, I am just not thrilled with the implementation - it does not seem like it would be that tough to figure this out.  Using a microphone inside of a pocket seems to be a tough problem to deal with .

I just want my link so I can see if this experiment will be written off or continued 🙂  I sure hope it works because it is a great system - if I do not spend my round messing around with it.

Played my first round with Arccos tody, phone in front pocket (Samsung S10+) and looks like it picked up all my shots without issue. I do need to get used to the interface when playing like penalty strokes, putts and what not but for me I didn't have many to any issues at all and I do like how it tracked everything saving me a lot of time.

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

Hi All:

Just received my free Ping sensors.  Got it all set up.  But was dismayed to learn that I have to play 36 holes with the phone in my front pocket before I can use my Apple Watch.  Seems kinda "nanny state" crap to me.

Has anyone found a work around so that I can use my Apple Watch for shot detection without first having to play 36 holes with the phone in my front pocket?

Don

Edited by dgbarar

Hi. Anyone aware of developments at Arccos with regards to the actual sensors ?

i have the crazy tendency to grip my club all the way to the butt end. Adding the Sensors therefore lengthens the club for me. not a fan of that nor if the added weight. 

So any talks of downsizing the footprint of the sensors?

14 hours ago, dgbarar said:

Hi All:

Just received my free Ping sensors.  Got it all set up.  But was dismayed to learn that I have to play 36 holes with the phone in my front pocket before I can use my Apple Watch.  Seems kinda "nanny state" crap to me.

Has anyone found a work around so that I can use my Apple Watch for shot detection without first having to play 36 holes with the phone in my front pocket?

Don

Have you tried using them yet?  I believe that everything worked just fine from day one for me.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB

3 hours ago, Jimi Thing said:

Hi. Anyone aware of developments at Arccos with regards to the actual sensors ?

i have the crazy tendency to grip my club all the way to the butt end. Adding the Sensors therefore lengthens the club for me. not a fan of that nor if the added weight. 

So any talks of downsizing the footprint of the sensors?

This is my least favorite part as well.  The ShotScope sensors didn't bother me, but these are pretty noticeable.  That said, I believe it's because they're powered, which would account for the reason that they work so much better than the ShotScope sensors (which missed a ton of shots).

The Grips are a possibility I suppose.

Epon AF 302, TI X100

Wedgeworks SM8 55D / 60T

Scotty Cameron T22 FB