At What Age Did You Start To Lose Distance?

markjay1

Me at

30 years old - Driver 280, 7 iron 155

45 - Driver 260, 7 iron 150

55 - Driver 240, 7 iron 150

65 - Driver 220, 7 iron 145.  Got new equipment to help add distance.  Helped a little.

And now, at 67-years-old, I find a big drop-off.  Driver, 210, 7 iron 140.  All my irons are 1 club shorter than 2-3 years ago.  My 2 hybrid went from 200 to 180.  But still keeping a 15 handicap.

I work out to keep in shape, my core is in great shape as are my legs and upper torso.  Regular massage to keep flexible.  But the distance drop-off is frustrating.

So, my senior golfing compatriots, when did you notice the drop-off and what did you do, if anything, to manage it?

Edited by markjay1

We sound like the same person.  I'm 68, crazy fit, etc.; my dropoff thru the years has had a similar trajectory.  BIG drop between 50 and 60, and again by the time I hit 65.  I've been able to more or less stabilize it thru getting technically better thru a rework of my swing, and thru golf-specific workouts, but it's a tough, uphill battle.  Every now and then, I'll play a course or a hole that I remember from the "good old days" and I'm stunned at how much shorter I am now.

One suggestion I'll make if you haven't already done it is to work with a REALLY good club fitter.  I got 10 yards back from two driver fittings four years apart, first from a driver that launched higher lower spin, and the second time with a driver that gave me 3 mph higher swing speed.  The other things a good fitter can be really helpful with are at the ends of the bag; getting your long clubs suited to slower swing speeds (2 hybrid instead of a 3W for me, for instance) and proper gapping with your short clubs.

Father Time is relentless, and accepting that is important.  Learning to manage the golf course a different way is sort of fun, and playing appropriate tees helps not only lessen the damage, but makes the game more enjoyable, too.  Think of it this way; there isn't another sport out there where we're even having this conversation at our ages, right?  That's the beauty of golf.

• Like 1

Cant say exactly when it happened, but I didn’t play much or any golf after 1990 until a couple of months ago. That’s when I saw how much I’d lost. I’m 65 now. I tried every trick I could find on YouTube but none of them brought back the yardage I lost. New irons are going to help a bit. That, plus the invention of senior tees is what is keeping the game fun and a challenge.

I'll be 67 in a few weeks. 245 total with driver and 155 with 7-iron. I've gained weight from hanging around the house and eating, lazy, with a bad back and a sluggish brain. I don't exercise. I did hit a 312 yard drive last week (rangefinder, no cart path or sprinkler heads, 5 mph following wind and slightly uphill). I have witnesses...

I don't swing out of my shoes, I'm pretty straight and miss a fairway or two per round.

But, I have to say that I hit the ball pretty solid and shot my age first time two years ago, which I attribute to a wasted youth of hitting 300 balls per day for 10 years.

That said, I suppose I'm a poster child for swing over equipment or fitness. I'm out of breath typing this. I may have to take a nap.

I was never super long, but I did hit irons much higher. My iron ball flight is lower now. The lowest iron I carry now is a 4-iron (185 normal shot). I went down to a 1-iron in my past life.

Edited by Soloman1

I retired at 58 and was finally able to play more golf. I remember when I first started using the range where I now live I could occasionally hit a drive to the end of the range and up the hill to the other tee ground which was 290+. 

I then joined a couple of leagues and started a regular practice routine. I finally figured out hitting it straight was more important than hitting it far and my average drive (GameGolf) was 265. 

I just turned 69 and I’m now averaging 256 which is still long enough for just about every course I play if I pick the right tees. I realize I’m going to lose more distance every year, but there are some guys in their 80’s I play with who still hit it 225+. I’m hoping I can be one of them. 

As you get older I think it’s important to play tees that allow you to potentially hit all the greens in regulation. That sometimes requires you to swallow your pride and admit you’re not the golfer you once were. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 Tour AD DI6S

Ping G425 Tensi Orange

Ping G30 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange

Ping G425 5-SW, UST Recoil ES F4S

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

Age-related distance loss is insidious and sneaky.  You don’t really “notice” it, until you do look at certain holes and realize  you’re playing your second shot from fifty yards farther out than you used to, that you can’t reach certain  par fives that you used to, that you’re hitting eight and nine irons, instead of wedges, like you used to.  It’s frustrating and it sucks.

This year in particular has been rough for me.  Due to the virus, my gym was shut down for a period, then ultimately made the decision to shutter up permanently.  (Thanks Pritzker.)  Then I was in a holding pattern waiting on the imposition of further restrictions.  And now, just this week, I’m back in a new place after full six months of no training at all.  At age 60, the loss of strength in just that short a period of time was eye-opening.  Now I have to fight the uphill battle of turning back the clock while the clock keeps ticking.  

Titleist 917D2, w/UST Mamiya Elements Chrome 7F4T
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
18* KZG U Iron, w/UST Proforce V2 100-S
Mizuno MP-18 MMC Fli-Hi 4-5, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

If you don't actively fight to keep it I think it slowly erodes away each decade. There was a time in my mid-20s when I didn't have to think to casually swing the driver 110+ and now in my mid-30's I'm doing well to reach 105. Every decade sets you back unless you're actively trying to compensate. 

That said, 105 is still plenty to play good golf, in fact I'd say I'm better now than when I was swinging faster. 

SIM Dr (10.5o) (Tensei Pro Orange 60TX)
SIM 3w (17o) (Tensei Pro White 60TX)

M6 7w (21o) (Diamana Blue 70S)

z785 (4-Pw) (Modus3 Tour120)
SM6 52-F / 56-F / 60-S
Newport 2 Select

I lost some distance with driver and irons around 68 due to a medical condition.  Thought that was how it was going to be from then on.  Got the medical condition taken care of and got back to the gym, switched to Steelfiber 110 stiff shafts and long story short, gained some yardage back.  Put new Ventus Velocore shafts in woods, gained more back with them.  But not till I switched to PX 5.5 shafts did I get more lost yardage back with my irons, and I am 70. 

I was never a big hitter, and I am still quite strong so haven't lost but a few yards per club.  That combined with my attitude regarding facing challenge, I am still able to step up to what others see as longer yardages.  If I am facing a 460yd Par I have no problem hitting a 2-4 iron into the green. 

• Titleist TS2 @10.25', Ventus 5 Series S
  • Titleist TS2 @16', Ventus 6 Series S
  • Titleist 718 T-MB 2i - Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 3-4i Tensei AV White S
  • Titleist 620 Series 5-PW - MMT 125S
  • SM6 F-52/8 - MMT 125S
  • SM6 M-58/8 - MMT 125S
  • SC CA Monterey
  • DASH-ProV1x & AVX

I didn't start golf until I was 54 years old.   I've lost about 20 yards in the last 11 years.  I'm averaging about 230 with a driver.   Last year I was at about 220, so I've gained 10 yards this year.   I'll chalk the gain up to 3 things. 

1.  I had my second hip replaced last year.  That made a huge difference in my swing.    My hips feel as though they are super loose.  Lots more flexibility.

2. I've sped up my backswing which in turn smooths out my transition.  Huge difference.

3. When I had my second hip replaced I started cycling again after a 7 year lay off.    I ride 5 days a week.  Its made a big difference in my leg strength, aerobic fitness and flexibility.

Not really any since age 50 - ball/equipment/maybe some more efficiency with swing.  With fear of hitting the ground after elbow issues/surgery/etc. have fought picking the ball this season and lost a club in general with my irons because of that, but when I hit them solid they go just fine (so a little inconsistent, lol).  I'm playing from the same spots off the tee on my course I've been playing from for 20 some years, sometimes a bit closer to some greens, and my game has improved over that time.  

The mind blower is thinking back to when I was 24 or so and what I could do with ball/equipment and the swing speed I had then with the instruction I've had the last few years - I would love to start over from that point with today's tools and info! 

I have never gone through such a decline.  At my next birthday I will be 77.  (Jeez, did I just write that, can I possibly be this old?!). I would say that in my best years I was hitting my drives maybe 260.  Now, in normal playing conditions I am at 230-240 yards.

Part of this is equipment - balls and clubs.  No question.

Part is technique.  I use to just step up and hit the ball.  Now I have studied swing mechanics and am much more analytical.  I have a better understanding of what makes a ball go far.  I have changed my swing to save my back.  I have always based my swing on the large muscles of the legs, torso, shoulders and never arms and hands and the like.  I will never been mistaken for Popeye.  For me, as I have gotten older (which is to say, old, let’s face it) my upper body strength has decreased more than my lower body strength.  I think that my main loss of distance is probably due to aging of my shoulder muscles more than anything, but I could be wrong.

Another part is conditioning.  You do massage for improved flexibility?   I never knew that massage was much of a thing for improving flexibility.  I do core strengthening and focused stretches of the golf muscles 3X/week.  Simple stretches, along with the plank and Superman poses, done on the floor in my home, is all that I do. I have very good flexibility and core muscle strength for somebody of my age, and I am not overweight.  

I play golf at times with an 80 year old.  He’ll hit it 20 yards past my best drive, over and over.  He is smaller than me, and not in as good physical shape.  I have good swing technique.  He has outstanding technique, albeit a different technique from mine.  Proper swing mechanics is crucial as we lose the physical benefits of youth.

Were I in your boots I would work on my swing mechanics, I would get down on the floor and stretch those golf muscles out, and I would have a driver that is no more than one generation old with proper fitting.

61 here. My drop off came in about the time I hit 45, as my left hip was causing problems that required it to be replaced. It wasn't drastic maybe 10 yards. I had it revised at 59 with a non titanium ball joint . Then at 60 had the right hip replaced . This year I’m hitting better than I did between 50 and 59. Gained about 5 back with the driver. But for my irons I can say a 27 degree 7 iron goes 150+ vs a 27 degree 5 iron in my thirties and forties went 170. So the irons are shorter by a larger margin than my irons. The crazy thing is my 46 degree wedge I can get 110 and that’s all I could do when younger . Never could hit a wedge with any predictability  until this year. Maybe it’s the Mavrik A wedge design or a power leakage I had with my short game that’s plugged . 

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

At 57-years old, I won a long drive competition with a drive of 337 yards. At present, I am 62-years old, and those 300+ yard drives are few and far between. My driver swing speed was 112 mph but once I hit 60 years of age, I noticed a loss in distance, probably due to flexibility. I tore the rotator cuff in my left shoulder last autumn and can no longer get the club all the way back. The curious thing is, I still play to a 2.8 index, even though my driver speed is only about 98 mph. I have lost a club and a half on my irons am may put away my 21-year old irons for some new technology next season. Perhaps graphite shafts are in my future but for now, I like steel in my irons. 

On the way to 64 and still waiting for the drop off. Driver swing speed 110-112. Still flexible and fit and probably as long now as I was with persimmon and balata 30 years ago. 

• Like 1

Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F
Vokey V-Grind 58.1
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Man, when I was 20, my 50 degree club went 115 yds. Now at 57, my 50 degree club goes 85 yds.  But I am a lot more accurate with it today.  Some of it is lost swing speed and some is I just don't swing as hard.  I just can't fire my muscles like I used to.  But that's not a good way to swing.  Proper swing mechanics are better than huge lag, weight shift, and hand-eye coordination that i could get away with when I was younger. 

On 9/18/2020 at 12:23 PM, markjay1 said:

Me at

65 - Driver 220, 7 iron 145.  Got new equipment to help add distance.  Helped a little.

And now, at 67-years-old, I find a big drop-off.  Driver, 210, 7 iron 140.  All my irons are 1 club shorter than 2-3 years ago.  My 2 hybrid went from 200 to 180.  But still keeping a 15 handicap.

I work out to keep in shape, my core is in great shape as are my legs and upper torso.  Regular massage to keep flexible.  But the distance drop-off is frustrating.

So, my senior golfing compatriots, when did you notice the drop-off and what did you do, if anything, to manage it?

My distances haven’t changed, and I’m your 3rd age category. I have a golf centric workout regiment that seems to keep my distances about 5 yards shorter on average than when we were 30.

Guessing I’ll lose distance at some point, just not yet?

40, double jointed shoulder since the day I was born and I never cared until I hit this age. Played with a really long back swing, with a definite over swing with a massive shoulder turn to make up for my lack of height. The little Angel on my shoulder won't let me do it any more, so I search and search for a short back swing with some semblance of power. Left shoulder pops as soon as my left hand reaches my right shoulder. 

I've got the hand eye to hit the ball clean from any swing, I just don't have a swing right now. 

On 9/18/2020 at 3:23 PM, markjay1 said:

Me at

I'm fighting it.

At 53, I was able to swing my driver consistently just over 100 mph and I think I regularly hit it in the 240 range. I remember I clubbed my 7 iron from 155-160. I could swing hard and carry an 8 around 160 but rarely wanted to do that. I backed off after that summer and began playing a lot less and quit playing in even club events - club championship etc. 

At about 61, I bought a Flightscope and my typical 7 iron carried typically 152-153 with about 79-81 mph clubhead speed with that 7 iron. My driver was in the mid 90s and the driver went about 235-240 unless it was downwind and a dry fast fairway:)

Now at 66, I checked my driver clubhead speed in July and it was mid to high 70s and I think I was hitting it 180-200 yards. My 7i is now carrying around 140. As soon as I saw those number I ordered a Super Speed overspeed set to fight aging. I think I've gained close to 10 mph with a driver in about a month. The distance loss is still pretty discouraging. Par 4s that used to be driver and 8 iron or 9 iron are now driver and a 3 or 4 hybrid. 

I'm going to keep fighting this.

About 21-22

M5 (9.0 set to 8.25), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

M5 (15.0), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

TSi2 18.0, Tensei AV Raw White 85TX, -0.5", GP Tour Wrap Midsize

i200 (4i), S56 (5-W), PX 7.0, Red Dot, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

Glide 3.0 (51.13, 55.13, 60.06TS), PX 6.5 Blackout, Red Dot, GP Tour Wrap Midsize

Dual Force Rossie #1 (33", 79 lie)

Pro V1X

53 minutes ago, dbleag said:

Seems like many of us (OF's) still have a comparable 7 iron distance to our younger days. 

The big loss seems to be on our driving distance.

There's got to be a muscular, scientific or equipment reason for that.

Iron lofts is your answer.  

Epic Speed triple diamond 8.7 TB70 TX

TM 300 mini 13.5 Tensei CK blue 80TX 

TM sim max 18 Aldila rogue proto 85TX 

Titleist T100 4-gap MMT 125 TX 

Edel  SMS 54 58 MMT 125 TX ( testing ) 

Cameron GSS 009  1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights , head speed shaft. 

In my case the big drop off hit about age 67-68. By then I had cut way back on my playing so don't have really good comparative data beyond what I sensed. But I have very detailed data regarding my cycling. And in that case I hit dropped off a cliff at that same age (in terms of cycling performance). 

dave

49 and haven't dropped off,  hitting it further then ever 300+.  Still picking up little things like recently I'm using a very very soft grip also been working with the load of the shaft more instead of providing most of the power myself, like when I used to fire pi$$ed missiles in my slow pitch soft ball days.  Only an injury would hold me back... and they show up once and a while lol

I try and like my own posts but can't figure out how...