Best feeling/softest irons

Hey guys, I’m going to be making an iron switch this year. I’m a lefty, so keep that in mind. I live in the middle of nowhere and I don’t have access to test a lot of clubs, so I’m hoping you guys can share your experiences with me. Which of the following irons are the softest/best-feeling?

Miura 801

Mizuno MP20 sel

Mizuno 921 sel (tour)

PXG 0311 T (gen 3)

Titleist 620 CB

Titleist T-100

Feel free to order them from softest to firmest, below. My assumption is they would rank as I have them listed above. 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've hit them all and Srixon 785 has been the softest

Before I upgraded from 716CB 3-PW, I was already thinking about 620 irons.  My criteria was 3-PW and did NOT want strong lofts which left a limited selection of sets.  So, I decided to skip hitting ot

Ok so the best answer i can give you is the mizuno mp mmc 20. Ive hit alot of irons this past year all head to head... nothing and i mean nothing was softer to me then the mp mmc20. From 4 iron down t

Posted Images

Ok so the best answer i can give you is the mizuno mp mmc 20. Ive hit alot of irons this past year all head to head... nothing and i mean nothing was softer to me then the mp mmc20. From 4 iron down to pw and thats rate in my opinion to have each iron be consistently the same amount of soft throughout the set. Not just soft but a soft thats different then the rest and still very informative on what you put into the shot.

• Like 2

I’m a big fan of the Apex MB’s from a feel perspective 

Driver = Taylormade SIM 8* Hzrdus green 6.0

1 iron = Titleist U501 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
Irons = Wilson Staff tour blade,  4-PW
Wedges = Titleist 52* SM6

Taylormade 56* and 60* MG2

Putter = Scotty Del Mar

Wilson Staff 8882

Ball = Experimenting at moment

1 hour ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

Ok so the best answer i can give you is the mizuno mp mmc 20. Ive hit alot of irons this past year all head to head... nothing and i mean nothing was softer to me then the mp mmc20. From 4 iron down to pw and thats rate in my opinion to have each iron be consistently the same amount of soft throughout the set. Not just soft but a soft thats different then the rest and still very informative on what you put into the shot.

This isn’t an option for lefties 

47 minutes ago, leftycabe said:

I can’t look at them. Don’t suit my eye at all. 

from address or from the back holding in hand?

not gonna lie AF 301 does look like it would be magic at address from pics ive seen.

Ping G ∎ Ping G400 2H ∎ Ping G 4H ∎ X-Forged UT ∎ Apex Pro '19 4-AW ∎ PM Grind 2.0 ∎ MD5 Jaws ∎ Scotty Newport 3

I have the Z785 and they feel great, can't compare them to others but I love hitting them. I will also add that they will be the cheapest by several hundred and odds are pretty good they have the shaft you need as a free option. Can't really complain about Japanese forged irons for that price.

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

9 hours ago, iNeedMoreGolf said:

I just added the MMC (5-7) to go with my MB (8-P) and I am stunned by how good they are.  The feel is phenomenal and dispute looking like a blade at address, they are plenty forgiving.  They feel just as good as the MB.  Add in the extra forgiveness and you got shot after shot of pure solid bliss.  

I've hit a lot of them, but not all.

I'd flip a coin between the 801's and the MP20's. That copper underlay in the Mizuno really dialled in the feel and brought them up to par with Muira IMO. Those two stand head and shoulders above the rest on your list for me. 

The Titleist T-100's are amazing, but I wouldn't call them soft like the Muira/Mizuno's.

The 620CB's are a little unique on this list. They're like old shoes. I played Titleist CB's for years and the new one's are great, but firm. Really solid though.

I haven't hit the Gen 3's or the 921 Tour's. If they're anything like the 919's though, they're worth a hit. 919 Tour has been the best all around iron in the last few years. 

TS 3 8.5º w/ LAGP TOUR AXS 70X
917F3 16.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
Mizuno MP-5,  4-9 C-Taper
SM6 47º, 52º, 56º, 60 C-Taper
Scotty Special Select Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

15 minutes ago, tannyhoban said:

Fuzzy Zoeller signatures with G. Loomis shafts. I had that set for a year or two in the mid 90s 2-L and they had the best feel. I think they were a made for sold at k-mart and the shafts were aftermarket installed before I traded for them on a whim. Just crazy how good they felt.

Those were probably Dunlop's. I started golf at the same time and got a cheap half mallet Dunlop putter that I played very well with, then let it go because of a couple of bad rounds. I really regretted that until I found almost an exact copy that putts just as good as the original.

BTW, I liked Fuzzy and followed him, his swing looked so easy. Such a shame he got in that mess making fun of Tiger at the Masters, after than Kmart dropped him and he all but disappeared. I don't think he meant any harm, just speaking w/o thinking like most politicians.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

1 minute ago, chipa said:

Those were probably Dunlop's. I started golf at the same time and got a cheap half mallet Dunlop putter that I played very well with, then let it go because of a couple of bad rounds. I really regretted that until I found almost an exact copy that putts just as good as the original.

BTW, I liked Fuzzy and followed him, his swing looked so easy. Such a shame he got in that mess making fun of Tiger at the Masters, after than Kmart dropped him and he all but disappeared. I don't think he meant any harm, just speaking w/o thinking like most politicians.

Could be they were Dunlops, I really don't recall. Cast cavity backs that had the look of a scotch blade on steroids. I had plenty of others sets at the time but always played those. They were pre-Tiger/Fuzzy as '93-'94 was when I played them

4 minutes ago, Red4282 said:

Or when you play a soft ball.. a club being “soft” is overrated. Soft as a marshmallow where i CANT feel it, is not desirable to me.

Best feeling to me are the MP4s which have a solid ‘thunk.’ No joke, I can call to within 10 feet where the ball is going to land the second I make contact.

The softest in my experience are the MacGregor MT Pro Cs in my back-up bag...out of the middle you struggle to tell where you’ve hit it.

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

People have their picks, but I dont think any irons feel as pillowy as Miuras. Mizunos have gone away from soft mushy feeling to more firm but solid while sounding soft and the SEL option trades soft for playbility in the mid/long irons. PXG's softness feels more artificial due to their insert technology. I feel like 620CB and T100 feels indistinguishable from each other sharing familiar Titleist feeling. If I had to pick one, 620CB feels maybe touch softer? Truly hard to tell. So from that list, Miura is prob the softest feeling. 

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gohigh said:

People have their picks, but I dont think any irons feel as pillowy as Miuras. Mizunos have gone away from soft mushy feeling to more firm but solid while sounding soft and the SEL option trades soft for playbility in the mid/long irons. PXG's softness feels more artificial due to their insert technology. I feel like 620CB and T100 feels indistinguishable from each other sharing familiar Titleist feeling. If I had to pick one, 620CB feels maybe touch softer? Truly hard to tell. So from that list, Miura is prob the softest feeling. 

The 620cb and t100 do feel similar softness wise, but i feel the difference is the cb has a more solid feel as the t100 has a bit of the hollow pop feel