I Hate The US Open

2over

12 hours ago, 2over said:

... good shots get punished over and over.

At the level of players good enough to qualify for this tournament a shot that ends in a situation that overwhelms their skill can only be described as "good" in the sense of "Daddy daddy, did you see? I didn't miss the ball!". Good shots are not only executed well but also planned well.

The U.S. Open is my 2nd favorite major precisely because of the rough. I don't like it when they trick up the greens but I have no problem with them letting the rough go to provide a challenge not seen in any regular tour event. My favorite is The Open because the courses are just allowed to be what they are subject to fickle Mother Nature. The Masters (because it boils down to mostly a putting contest) and PGA (becasue it typically has the strongest filed) tie for 3rd.

That said, the long rough isn't having the desired effect of dialing back the big hitters. They can end up with such short irons into the greens that the rough isn't nearly as penal as it should be.

29 minutes ago, Greg_B said:

We need more long lateral water hazards lining fairways to rein the bombers in. Rough just doesn't work any more.

Yeah.  I was shocked when Bryson was in the deep rough in some hole at the third round and was a bit over 200 yards to the hole and gouged it there when some short iron and made it to the pin.   I really think the people who wants to reel the ball back in distance wise are right.

10.5 deg Titleist 905R with stock UST Proforce V2 Shaft (Stiff flex)
Titleist 990 (3-PW) with stock Dynamic Gold in S300
Taylormade V-Steel 5W & 3W with Grafalloy Prolaunch Red shafts (Regular Flex)
2011 Adams Tom Watson signature wedges in 52 and 56 degrees with stock steel shafts (Player's Grind)
Rife Island Series Aruba Blade Putter

"Loft for loft, length for length, and shaft for shaft, the ball will go the same distance when hit on the sweet spot regardless how old the iron."

I hate warm milk. Some people like it. They're just dumb.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Playing shots from rough like this requires advance skill, the way Wolff and Bryson have been able to judge the lie, hold the face square, make reliable contact and play for the release and roll is remarkable. That is truly “golfing your ball”. Spraying it all over the lot and having clean lies and clear paths to the greens is the hallmark of every overrated TPC (insert city/local landmark name here) where free drops abound at the slightest grimace from a top 100 player. Yeah, hitting a 4 iron a mile high and dropping it like a sack of flour requires skill. But working a 7 iron out of the jungle and getting it to act in the air and on the ground exactly the way you need is really difficult and is a sign of a player in command of contact and his thoughts. 

You don’t have to like it and can turn it off, I turn off lots of weekly tour events because I don’t find the course or the play interesting. But I can say you are missing out if you think playing shots out of the rough is just a blind gouge for these guys. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, phil75070 said:

The U.S. Open is my 2nd favorite major precisely because of the rough. I don't like it when they trick up the greens but I have no problem with them letting the rough go to provide a challenge not seen in any regular tour event. My favorite is The Open because the courses are just allowed to be what they are subject to fickle Mother Nature. The Masters (because it boils down to mostly a putting contest) and PGA (becasue it typically has the strongest filed) tie for 3rd.

That said, the long rough isn't having the desired effect of dialing back the big hitters. They can end up with such short irons into the greens that the rough isn't nearly as penal as it should be.

LOL!....Three days and three (3) Touring Pros are UNDER PAR....something is penal.

I am sick and tired of watching pros shoot 20 under to win a tournament.  360 yd drives, 200 yd 7 irons, sometimes these guys need to feel what most of us feel every time we play- pars are a very good score and birdies are a luxury we only get two or three times a round.

Either make the pros play a shorter ball or make the rough penal and narrow the fairways.  No amateur can relate to 360 yd drives and hitting 500 yd par 4s with a driver-wedge.

• Like 3

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

16 hours ago, EmperorPenguin said:

The USGA's philosophy is quite simple: hit it straight off the tee.  However, this new bomb-and-gouge game is even testing US Open setups, with Bryson gouging it out of the rough and getting the ball on the green.  Graduated rough is a Mike Davis invention, but to purists like me that gives bombers a little too much latitude.  I like the '74 US Open setup: fairway, then 1.75" fringes, and immediately to primary rough.  The pros should suffer, especially the crybabies who complain about deep rough.  Just hit the ball in the fairway, man!

Do you think the rough in ‘74 was deeper? I don’t think so. The players today are just more adept at playing from it in general.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

29 minutes ago, CaymanS said:

Wolff hits 2 fairways and shoots 65.

What would you do to make him score higher...and why?

Perhaps the issue is that this year we were told the winner would be +8....or higher! And gasp...there are currently 3 players under par!  I don’t know about you wrx golfers but I am currently at 4.3 index and don’t believe I would break 100. Their ability to play from the rough is unworldly. 
I do not understand wanting to see the pros struggle...or in the words of so many posts “make them play the game we play”. Why? And how? These guys are better than us. Live with it I say. Admit the fact that pros really are that much better than most, if not all, players you know.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 hour ago, AmazinBlue said:

I am sick and tired of watching pros shoot 20 under to win a tournament.  360 yd drives, 200 yd 7 irons, sometimes these guys need to feel what most of us feel every time we play- pars are a very good score and birdies are a luxury we only get two or three times a round.

Either make the pros play a shorter ball or make the rough penal and narrow the fairways.  No amateur can relate to 360 yd drives and hitting 500 yd par 4s with a driver-wedge.

Speak for yourself.  I do it all the time.

I'm joking.

3-wood/wedge for me.

38 minutes ago, ray9898 said:

Of all the sports I follow....golf fans are by far the whiniest group.

Not even close. Basketball fans think every foul is bogus or every play that isn’t a foul should be, Soccer fans literally assault people over games. Basketball is by far the worse fan base though, simply people that cannot be tolerated. 

5 hours ago, cgasucks said:

Yeah.  I was shocked when Bryson was in the deep rough in some hole at the third round and was a bit over 200 yards to the hole and gouged it there when some short iron and made it to the pin.   I really think the people who wants to reel the ball back in distance wise are right.

And he is quite likely the only person in the field (maybe one or 2 more) that are capable of doing that. If it was everyone, it might be a different conversation. That ability is his advantage over the field, why anyone would want to take that away is beyond me. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AmazinBlue said:

First of all, driver-wedge on a 500 yard hole is not a typical play of that hole, unless it is severely downwind/downhill, even for most your pros. Maybe you forget that they hit their 7irons better and in closer proximity to the hole than you hit your wedge, so you think they’re hitting wedge, not sure. 

second, 360 yard drives just aren’t that common, and when they are, look at how much roll out they are getting to reach that number. Week in/week out, I see I see balls land and get 30-70 yards of roll. Most of those guys can carry the ball 280-290, then it hits the ground and runs like it’s on the cart path. I watched Matsuyama get 65 yards of roll with a 3 wood in a tournament. Patrick Reed had one roll out almost 45 yards yesterday (3 wood) according to the announcer, though honestly it looked like more. 

6 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

Playing shots from rough like this requires advance skill, the way Wolff and Bryson have been able to judge the lie, hold the face square, make reliable contact and play pray for the release and roll is remarkable. That is truly “golfing your ball”. Spraying it all over the lot and having clean lies and clear paths to the greens is the hallmark of every overrated TPC (insert city/local landmark name here) where free drops abound at the slightest grimace from a top 100 player.

Fixed that for ya. :classic_laugh:

Actually I almost kinda sorta agree with the OP. I've often said that I'd like to see football, even with its crazy bounces ALWAYS played under a dome as the wind can be such a factor it sometimes (often ?) doesn't tell us who is better/more skillful but who is luckier. Same goes for rain, snow and -15* temps.

But for better or worse "playing luck" is part of most sports. And we still keep doing it (or watching) it. 

I guess one has to hope for the lucky (and unlucky) breaks to even out and the more skillful player/team wins (anyway).......... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

2 hours ago, golfandfishing said:

Not even close. Basketball fans think every foul is bogus or every play that isn’t a foul should be, Soccer fans literally assault people over games. Basketball is by far the worse fan base though, simply people that cannot be tolerated. 

....at least they talk about the game and not if the announcer makes noise when he talks.

Loved this Open. I love when the pros have to really grind on every putt and how 4 footers are not gimmes.

• Like 4

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 hours ago, sbjinx said:

I hate it cause it’s looking like DeChambeau is gonna win 

I loved it because DeChambeau won it. He played a phenomenal final round and was the only player in the entire field who shot under par in the final round and the entire tournament.

That's some pretty crazy stuff.

• Like 1