• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

None- I live next to a course and probably pick up 3 dozen a week walking my dog

I have a golf ball. Why would I need another one this year?

I haven't bought a golf ball in years. My home course is littered with hazards, and thus is littered with golf balls. 

miamistomp- My kind of guy.  When I play, I walk along the sides of the fairways that tend to catch errant shots and usually find 4-6 balls a round.

• Like 1

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

I used to be the same way and never bought golf balls. But, the last couple years I've exclusively played the Vice Pro Plus. I'd say I use 1-2 balls/round. 

I like having the consistency of using just a single ball, but it's not some amazing game-changer.

Scuffs don't bother me too much, I'll play a ball until it's quite worn or I've lost it.

Per year? I don't play a ton right now, so maybe a couple dozen balls/year.

Edited by baloo

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

I’ve read that I should use a softball for persimmons. Now I don’t have any persimmons just laminates so far.  But I thought I’d start using the softer balls With my irons to sort of get ready for the day I have a nice set of persimmons.  I’ve been using Wilson Duo soft.   I hit them the same as all the balls I found around the pond under bushes or in cornfields... I am clearly the problem

Edited by oldpinggolfer
2 minutes ago, oldpinggolfer said:

I’ve read that I should use a softball for persimmons. Now I don’t have any persimmons just laminates so far.  But I thought I’d start using the softer balls With my irons to sort of get ready for the day I have a nice set of persimmons.  I’ve been using Wilson Duo soft.   I hit them the same as all the balls I found around the pond under bushes or in cornfields... I am clearly the problem

A lot of people prefer a softer ball with persimmons, but you can use whatever you fancy. They hold up fine to any ball.

• Thanks 1

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

16 hours ago, oldpinggolfer said:

It's exactly as @baloo said, you can use any modern ball with persimmon.  The new balls are softer than the rocks of Olde that were cracking so many clubheads.

Edited to add:  Louisville Golf had this question included in their FAQ for years, it's the primary source for my above comment.

That said, I tend to use the softer models, like the Duo Pro, or the softer models of premium balls, like ZStar or TP5, over the X models of each.  Just prefer the feel.  All those years of playing Maxfli solid core wound balls left an imprint, I guess.  ?

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: Cobra Fly-Z+, Xcaliber Tour 7.5 TS, 43.5"; TaylorMade R11s, Aldila NV ProtoPype 80 X, 43.5"; --testing-- TM Original One 11.5*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

On 9/23/2020 at 7:50 PM, oldpinggolfer said:

Back in the 80s and early 90s it was common to use Ultra, Top Flite, Molitor or Pinnacle balls with persimmon woods. I used to play a Toney Penna driver and I sure did whack those rocks without problems. True, the feel of a soft ball on a persimmon wood is a thing of beauty. 

None.  I play what I find and I manage to find quite a few looking for my own errant shots.

I could relate to the guy named John Bredemus that Harvey Penick mentioned in one of his books.  Accoring to Harvey, John "wouldn't play a new ball 'atall'."

One can seem to gauge what is selling from what one finds.  In the 80s I found a ton of Top Flites.  Today I find more Pro Vs than anything else.  I would probably weep like a baby if I lost a golf ball on which I dropped 4 bucks, but then I won't pay 4 dollars for a cup of coffee either.  

• Like 1

I can usually tell what is on sale by what I find

The nice course next to my house that I never play because you can't walk !!  Last year Callaway, Kirkland and ProV1-- This year Srixon ( must be a good sale)

The goat track I belong to because you can always walk even when muddy

Weekdays-- Callaway , Srixon, 

Weekends-- Nitro, Top- Flite and some ProV

If the snowbirds come back-- Range balls with initials

My surprise favorite this season is the  Maxfli Tour !!

Right now it depends on what I win in the weekly Dog Fights. Our team places darn near every week plus we have prize drawings. Back before I got hurt I had won darn near 6 dozen Super Softs. After starting back it has been 4 dozen Srixon both Soft Feels and Q Star Tours. I do not lose many balls I played a Super Soft 45 holes after last week's Dog Fight. I cleaned out the bag today and threw it in the shag bag. I have not played vintage since being hurt when when I do I will start with the Maxfli Elite 90s courtesy of NYJZR

• Like 1

Driver--- Honma G1-X Stock R shaft FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Mitsu Diamana FW 7 woodTM V- Steel 21* Stock TM R Irons 3 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan #2 Apex Shafts SW- Clevaland 588 56* Sensicore S-400 LW Cleveland 588 60* Sensicore S-400 Putter 1997 Cameron Santa FE rusty as heck Bulls Eye Satin fluted shaft Bags- Old School Burton mini staff non logo or Jones Classic