Actual, technical definition of swing weight

12 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

My own definition of swing weight it's a measure of how "balanced" the club feels when swung.

That pretty much is THE definition of Swing Weight. The concept should be stated as 'Higher' or 'Lower' rather than 'Heavy' or 'Light'. As it's been mentioned in this thread (and many, many time is repetitive threads on the subject!), it isn't about total weight. Still, it constantly gets referred to that way even thought there is an incredible amount of information out there on the subject.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think this page from Dave Tutelman is probably the best reference.   https://www.tutelman.com/golf/design/swingwt1.php#history  

The term "swingweight" is an English language misnomer.  It's neither a measurement of weight, nor is it taken when the club is swung.  As you've seen by looking at the measurement device, it is actua

To add to what @Noodler said above, it is also confusing because it was a system devised when there were fewer variables. They didn't have a wide variety of steel shafts back then covering a 50g+ rang

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, Hammer22 said:

That pretty much is THE definition of Swing Weight. The concept should be stated as 'Higher' or 'Lower' rather than 'Heavy' or 'Light'. As it's been mentioned in this thread (and many, many time is repetitive threads on the subject!), it isn't about total weight. Still, it constantly gets referred to that way even thought there is an incredible amount of information out there on the subject.

If the word "swing" is used I think it's clear that the measure is about how a club feels when swung.

Dead weight is the customary golf industry term for describing total weight.

Personally, if I swing a high (heavy) swing weigh club, for example E0, it "feels heavy" when swung, no matter if the dead weight is actually light.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

My best visualization is to take a weight (heavy fishing sinker for example) attached to 4 feet of cord.  Choke up on the cord so only 2 feet is showing and swing the weight in circles (like flinging a yo-yo).  Then do the same thing holding the cord at the end.  You had the exact same weight but the feel is noticeably different.  

26 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

If the word "swing" is used I think it's clear that the measure is about how a club feels when swung.

Dead weight is the customary golf industry term for describing total weight.

Personally, if I swing a high (heavy) swing weigh club, for example E0, it "feels heavy" when swung, no matter if the dead weight is actually light.

Don't mind me, just being a little pedantic. 

Actually "Static weight" is the much more common term for describing total weight of the club.

Swing weight is not the measure of how a club feels when swung.  That's a very common misconception and the route of a lot of misunderstand.   Swing weight is only one of several aspects of the club that contribute to that feel.

Edited by Stuart_G
On 9/22/2020 at 6:14 PM, Fairway14 said:

You seem to be implying that players are targeting swing weight to achieve some sort of original "feel". You may be right about that but I don't use swing weight to try and duplicate the original/former feel of a club. I use swing weight to achieve a club that swings-feels balanced when swung. For me a club has an out of balance feel when the swing weight is lower than C9 or above D5. My own definition of swing weight it's a measure of how "balanced" the club feels when swung.

When I installed my CP2 Wrap mid size grips it brought down the swing weight of my clubs 1.5 to 2 points, from D3 to D1. I find the D1 balance fine for my driver-hybrids, and iron set. For my wedges the mid size grip took the SW down to D2, and I did add a bit of lead tape those heads to get the wedges up to D4, D5, which is easy to do.

Your point about advocating players going by feel/playing shots etc... is a good one, nothing wrong with that .Lee Trevino never wanted to know the specs of any of his clubs.

he just hit shots and then added lead tape, or changed shaft length or  loft or lie angle etc...until he was satisfied with shot results.

It sounds like you have a system that works well for you and have figured out how to use these tools to your benefit, I only meant to highlight that most people haven't figured this out and there is little out there to help them, plus information that is often conflicting. Don't let me dissuade you from your systems, I just try to help people get away from the system they *think* they should be using that is often incorrect.  

On 9/23/2020 at 5:26 AM, Stuart_G said:

Actually, the swing weight scale is a very poor tool for putters IMO.  

Sorry, I should have been more clear there. I meant that "Its fine for putters that they have evolved the way they have" in regards to more radical head and grip weights. I almost never touch a swingweight scale when it comes to messing with putters because they are pretty useless, as you implied. 

Edited by Valtiel

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade SIM Ti 16* Kuro Kage 80XTS 
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Taylormade GAPR Lo 3 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum