Mevo Inaccuracy. 140mph swing speed. **Screenshots Included**. Recommended Upgrade

ShotShaper

I was wondering if the Mevo+ works with high swing speeds. Are the swing speed and ball speed fairly accurate? Can it measure 140mph+ swing speeds and 200mph ball speed? When I bought the original Mevo, I noticed that it does not so it was completely useless with my driver. I even called and they "suggested" that the Mevo+ might work but an X3 or Xi Tour would be better ( way out of my pricerange). I'm a good golfer and I don't spray the ball. This has been tested on the Range and the Course and the numbers don't match up.

Here are my swing speed numbers with the regular Mevo and club specs.
Driver Specs: Cobra Speedzone 44.5 inch Driver. Graphite Design TourAD DI 8x ( I'll be switching to Paderson Ballistic XX in Oct)
3 iron: Cobra Forged Tec KBS Tour C-Taper ( Thinking on switching to X7 hard stepped)

Capture 3 iron.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

22 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Us WRXers find the Mevo works better at higher swing speeds, 150 and up. 140 maybe at the lower limit, anyway you can bring that up a bit?

hahaha. The funny thing is this is kind of slow. When I was in shape, I could get between 142mph-145mph on Trackman for a standard driver and close to 150mph with a long drive driver. I'm trying to get back in shape. So many people have been telling me over the last year that I need to get back into golf because I'm wasting my talent at my current job. When I started getting back into things this year, I was only at 131-132 and if I caught one good, 135 but now I'm at around 139-140mph. I just need a better device. I want to save up some cash and try these mini tours before I hit 30, 2 years from now.

Hey OP so I am going to share some separate thoughts.

So I notices your smash factor showing 1.24 to 1.40.  With a driver the max efficiency is 1.5.  You strikes are VERY low in efficiency.  

With the Budget LM's the amount of dopplers can skew the readings as a single doppler may have to read all metrics.  Vs a multi doppler can split the work load.  (Im trying to google how many dopplers the regular mevo has? I am assuming 2 but not sure)

Secondly as prior mentioned of accuracy. Trackman, for Swing speed measures the mid point of a club, where Mevo could have skewed readings, reading the toe, the middle the heel etc. As it lacks the tracking ability.

Personally I have found that many of these LM's measure ball speed really well,  per you screen shots.

Ball speeds

176.6, 172.8, 171.7, 173, 174, 177.9, 182.5, 180

vs

Swing speed

139.2, 137.8,  138.5, 139.8, 138.4, 140, 136.6, 140.6

The readings are pretty consistent. for both,  but the smash is VERY low.  Meaning either the balls speeds measurements are legit, or the swing speed measurements are legit, but likely both being legit is NOT likely unless you are hitting the ball ridiculously crappy.  But you say you are a good golfer?

OK so what is it?  

Average ball speed listed  - 176mph

Average Swing speed listed - 138.8mph

176mph BS / 1.49smash = 118mph swing speed,

138.8 SS X 1.49smash = 206.8mph ball speeds.

The reality, do you feel you are really getting 138.8mph swing speeds? If so then you should be getting 206mph ballspeeds, Which you are WELL off.

vs

176mph ball speed average with a 118mph swing speed, seems more equitable.  

I DO NOT Know you so I am just giving you opinions based on the data above.

from my experience with LM's ball speed measurements are more accurate.  swing speed especially if its reading the toe of the club could be skewed a lot.  If you possibly have a lot of hand action and rolling release the Mevo is reading the accelerated toe and giving you these 138.8mph swingspeeds.  but likely you may be closer to 120mph.  

Outside of that if you are really swinging in the 138.8 arena,  well one you are long drive swing speeds but then your strikes are TERRIBLE period as there is NO way you are getting 176/138.8  - 1.26 smash factor,  that smash factor is less then a PGA tour player's 9iron.  You have to be hitting straight on heel shots.

Truth?  you are actually swinging 120mph +/- 5mph.   with a legit strike of 1.5 you could get. 187mph of ball speeds. but I think thats the honest assessment 

Edited by Exactice808

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 9/20/2020 at 8:29 AM, ShotShaper said:

hahaha. The funny thing is this is kind of slow. When I was in shape, I could get between 142mph-145mph on Trackman for a standard driver and close to 150mph with a long drive driver. I'm trying to get back in shape. So many people have been telling me over the last year that I need to get back into golf because I'm wasting my talent at my current job. When I started getting back into things this year, I was only at 131-132 and if I caught one good, 135 but now I'm at around 139-140mph. I just need a better device. I want to save up some cash and try these mini tours before I hit 30, 2 years from now.

Let me just say,  again I DO NOT know you.....you could very well have what you say you have  but this is the Long Drive Champion,

you are no where near 211mph ball speeds. nor are you near 380 carry, you are 100y short of this (per your screen shot)......... 142mph swing speeds  = 213mph ball speeds, your best ball speed is 182 you are 31mph short of that... THATS A LOT!...... 

Long-Drive-Champion-Tim-Burke-1024x533.png

Edited by Exactice808

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

On 9/22/2020 at 2:33 PM, Exactice808 said:

So I notices your smash factor showing 1.24 to 1.40.  With a driver the max efficiency is 1.5.  You strikes are VERY low in efficiency.  

With the Budget LM's the amount of dopplers can skew the readings as a single doppler may have to read all metrics.  Vs a multi doppler can split the work load.  (Im trying to google how many dopplers the regular mevo has? I am assuming 2 but not sure)

Secondly as prior mentioned of accuracy. Trackman, for Swing speed measures the mid point of a club, where Mevo could have skewed readings, reading the toe, the middle the heel etc. As it lacks the tracking ability.

Personally I have found that many of these LM's measure ball speed really well,  per you screen shots.

Ball speeds

vs

Swing speed

The readings are pretty consistent. for both,  but the smash is VERY low.  Meaning either the balls speeds measurements are legit, or the swing speed measurements are legit, but likely both being legit is NOT likely unless you are hitting the ball ridiculously crappy.  But you say you are a good golfer?

OK so what is it?  

The reality, do you feel you are really getting 138.8mph swing speeds? If so then you should be getting 206mph ballspeeds, Which you are WELL off.

vs

from my experience with LM's ball speed measurements are more accurate.  swing speed especially if its reading the toe of the club could be skewed a lot.  If you possibly have a lot of hand action and rolling release the Mevo is reading the accelerated toe and giving you these 138.8mph swingspeeds.  but likely you may be closer to 120mph.  

Outside of that if you are really swinging in the 138.8 arena,  well one you are long drive swing speeds but then your strikes are TERRIBLE period as there is NO way you are getting 176/138.8  - 1.26 smash factor,  that smash factor is less then a PGA tour player's 9iron.  You have to be hitting straight on heel shots.

Truth?  you are actually swinging 120mph +/- 5mph.   with a legit strike of 1.5 you could get. 187mph of ball speeds. but I think thats the honest assessment 

I actually got my answer after talking with Flightscope. I talked with them and had someone send them some of my numbers from a Trackman. I actually do have a 140 swing speed. When I'm on a Trackman or Flightscope XI Tour, my ball speed is around 200-205. I talked to Flightscope and they recommended a Mevo+ or Xi Tour used at minimum. They said the Regular Mevo won't measure my ball speed because it wasn't designed for that but their higher end models will. My swing if very efficient. I just needed a higher end device.

1 hour ago, ShotShaper said:

I actually got my answer after talking with Flightscope. I talked with them and had someone send them some of my numbers from a Trackman. I actually do have a 140 swing speed. When I'm on a Trackman or Flightscope XI Tour, my ball speed is around 200-205. I talked to Flightscope and they recommended a Mevo+ or Xi Tour used at minimum. They said the Regular Mevo won't measure my ball speed because it wasn't designed for that but their higher end models will. My swing if very efficient. I just needed a higher end device.

Thats fine,   I again do not know you personally so I have no reason to believe or disbelieve your statements.

I am only sharing my experiences and understanding on how these items work

Honestly With a Doppler system, I dont think speed is a limiter.  As a doppler captures whats in its radar range.  To say that the Doppler in a Mevo, Mevo Plus, FS XI tour. differs. I doubt it.  The manufactures would be losing money to vary on the actual doppler in the unit.  The strengths of each unit is the processor and what data points it captures and calculates on the spot.   As an Example the Mevo+ just has more data points then the regular mevo.  Same with the Flight Scope XI. I doubt the Quality of doppler used in the system differs.  With that I doubt the doppler itself has a "Speed limiter"  as That is exactly what the doppler's strength is.  To measure and return the measure speed to the unit.

In any case.  I hear a "marketing" play as it s possibility that you need a higher unit NOT that the unit does not measure correctly. Its that the preset processing capabilities does not have data points to calculate over 200mph ballspeeds. But honestly.  The when I hear a quick answer like.  It doesnt work yo need a higher end unit. I laugh because thats like me going to a Dealership saying you need to buy the higher end unit to go fast.  Well know I just need to unlock the ECU to remove governors or give it additional fuel maps to handle the higher speed ranges.

Anyways GOOD luck on you and those 140mph swing speeds. I hope I get to see you on TV one day and say that I talked to that guy one time on GolfWRX!

Good luck on your journey! 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

4 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Thats fine,   I again do not know you personally so I have no reason to believe or disbelieve your statements.

I am only sharing my experiences and understanding on how these items work

Honestly With a Doppler system, I dont think speed is a limiter.  As a doppler captures whats in its radar range.  To say that the Doppler in a Mevo, Mevo Plus, FS XI tour. differs. I doubt it.  The manufactures would be losing money to vary on the actual doppler in the unit.  The strengths of each unit is the processor and what data points it captures and calculates on the spot.   As an Example the Mevo+ just has more data points then the regular mevo.  Same with the Flight Scope XI. I doubt the Quality of doppler used in the system differs.  With that I doubt the doppler itself has a "Speed limiter"  as That is exactly what the doppler's strength is.  To measure and return the measure speed to the unit.

In any case.  I hear a "marketing" play as it s possibility that you need a higher unit NOT that the unit does not measure correctly. Its that the preset processing capabilities does not have data points to calculate over 200mph ballspeeds. But honestly.  The when I hear a quick answer like.  It doesnt work yo need a higher end unit. I laugh because thats like me going to a Dealership saying you need to buy the higher end unit to go fast.  Well know I just need to unlock the ECU to remove governors or give it additional fuel maps to handle the higher speed ranges.

Anyways GOOD luck on you and those 140mph swing speeds. I hope I get to see you on TV one day and say that I talked to that guy one time on GolfWRX!

Good luck on your journey! 

Thanks for the advice. After doing a little more research, I got another answer from Flightscope and a youtuber, I also reached out to a few more well known Youtubers and a couple people that are sponsored by Flightscope and they confirmed that the device isn't good for highers ball speeds. I have 2 screenshots below. The other people told me off the record so I'll respect that but after confirming with Flightscope, even though it will register swing speed, ball speeds will cause issues.

Flightscope Issues.PNG

Flightscope issues 2.PNG

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 11:33 AM, Exactice808 said:

Ball speeds

vs

Swing speed

OK so what is it?  

vs

Mevo is pretty inaccurate at higher swing speeds.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2020 at 7:01 AM, ShotShaper said:

I was wondering if the Mevo+ works with high swing speeds. Are the swing speed and ball speed fairly accurate? Can it measure 140mph+ swing speeds and 200mph ball speed? When I bought the original Mevo, I noticed that it does not so it was completely useless with my driver. I even called and they "suggested" that the Mevo+ might work but an X3 or Xi Tour would be better ( way out of my pricerange). I'm a good golfer and I don't spray the ball. This has been tested on the Range and the Course and the numbers don't match up.

Here are my swing speed numbers with the regular Mevo and club specs.
Driver Specs: Cobra Speedzone 44.5 inch Driver. Graphite Design TourAD DI 8x ( I'll be switching to Paderson Ballistic XX in Oct)
3 iron: Cobra Forged Tec KBS Tour C-Taper ( Thinking on switching to X7 hard stepped)

Capture 3 iron.PNG

Capture.PNG

Capture2.PNG

Capture3.PNG

Capture4.PNG

Capture5.PNG

Capture6.PNG

Capture7.PNG

Capture8.PNG

My son and a few long drive friends shots don’t show up very well with Mevo. Same issue.

Even using the dots didn’t help that much.

Start with 2 dots maybe? It might work for you. I use an Xi now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

All radars will filter the return signal in various ways to cut down on noise and improve the detection threshold.    The key to the radars success is not the transmitter or receiver but rather the signal processing of the return.    So yes, there potentially can be HUGE differences between different units with different price points.

Edited by Stuart_G
  • Like 1

Well! I stand corrected! It is what it is!  LOL  I feel bad as that sucks $500 to $3000+ is a pretty huge jump to edify 140+mph swings.  Thats brutal if you ask me.

BUT, in fairness, I assume 140+mph swings are that in a tier of their own LOL. SO if you have an ability to gain certain attentions hey $3000 may be a great investment to capitalize on your god given talent.

Anyways! Again Good Luck on your Journey! 

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

19 hours ago, Exactice808 said:

Well! I stand corrected! It is what it is!  LOL  I feel bad as that sucks $500 to $3000+ is a pretty huge jump to edify 140+mph swings.  Thats brutal if you ask me.

BUT, in fairness, I assume 140+mph swings are that in a tier of their own LOL. SO if you have an ability to gain certain attentions hey $3000 may be a great investment to capitalize on your god given talent.

Anyways! Again Good Luck on your Journey! 

True, anyone with a swing that fast likely needs really good fittings and shafts too. the maintenance of higher performance players is more expensive. They likely learn things most of us can’t even comprehend.

• Like 1