Old and still relevant fairway woods

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

V Steel, the GOAT of fairway woods.

Nike VR Pro Limited Edition fairway woods (2011). Still use the 3 wood. One of the best line of clubs Nike produced. The driver from that line was great as well. I miss bonded drivers and fairway wood

Tour Edge Exotics CB1 & CB2. After 15 or so years they are still legit.

Posted Images

Cally Diablo Octane Tour.....Henrik Stenson replaced his recently and so did I. 

https://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2019/10/08/golf-clubs-equipment-henrik-stenson-changes-3-wood.html

• Like 2

Cobra F9 9* Evenflow White 6.0, F9 Tour Fairway 13.5* Evenflow White 6.0 

Adams Idea Pro Gold 18* 2H Matrix Ozik Altus 

Titleist 718 AP2 4-P DG AMT S300, Vokey SM7 50/8*, 54/10*, 58/10*, S200

Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1

15 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

I still play a Titleist 975F with an EI-70 x-stiff.  It was built in 1999 or 2000, can't remember exactly which year.  

I was wondering if I was going to see another 975F on here. I have a 16.5 in my bag. I have bought and hit other woods, but there is something about the 975F. It might just be a mental thing, but I am super confident with that club in my hands. 

• Like 1

From the tee, hard to beat the original Callaway ERC and follow on big bertha II 3 woods, if Callaway would please listen to me they would update the exact same geometry head with  jailbreak/flash face/and adjustable hosel/ backside swing weight that would be an undisputed cannon and I certainly would preorder.  Deep faced solid goodness.

5 hours ago, EDT501 said:

Consider me a MP Titanium evangelist. I'm on my second and have a backup in the closet. You can find them for around $25-50 depending on condition. Been playing the 3 wood since it came out in 2010(?). I had it up against the SIM offerings on a Trackman this weekend and it was every bit as long. Love the compact package and the feel is unmatched in my opinion - solid, but with just enough heat to let you know its still a rocket. I was expecting the SIM to be noticeably more forgiving, but the monitor numbers on mishits didn't really indicate any significant improvements on mishits. I also found it much easier to manipulate launch/ball-flight with the Mizuno, but that is almost certainly due to my familiarity with the club. 

Now if only I could find a mint MP Titanium 5 wood...

Look for a TEE cb2- Mizuno licensed cup face brazing patent from TEE for a period of time to manufacture the MP titanium and profile of the five wood is almost identical, with the MP having a bit more relief on heel and toe of sole.

Edited by Mitchell
  • Thanks 2

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

On 9/20/2020 at 7:33 PM, cgasucks said:

Obviously the V-Steels I think are still relevant as they're still talked about in this forum till this day (Band of Brothers thread).  TM thinks their tech is still relevant too as their V-Steel soles are incorporated in this year's SIM fairway woods.

Retweet here for the V-Steel. . . truly an ageless warrior. 

• Like 2

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.0, Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel T/S, Graphite Design YS-6S

5-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 5, MAS 2

Driving Irons: (2) Taylormade P790 UDI (3) Taylormade P790, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 (2) True Temper S300 (3)
Irons: (4-PW) 716 AP2 True Temper S300 AMT
Wedges: (52, 58) Taylormade Milled Grind 2 SB, True Temper S200
Putter: Ping 1/2 CRAZ-E L Broomstick 48"

Have a 13* 906f2 with Fuji pro95 and a Vsteel 13* paint break TP with Aldila  ATX tour blue 85 that are both great clubs for varying trajectory in windy conditions- have tried several ? more recent clubs and nothing has been able to beat these out for rounds in particular conditions. Now, for a vastly under the radar fairway that can hang with anything recent for good players, see the old Adams BTY.

• Like 1

Titleist 910d3 9.5* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Tour Edge Exotics cbx 16.5* Aldila RIP beta 80s 

Titleist 818h1 19* (a2 surefit) Fujikura Motore TS hb 8.8
Titleist 962b 3-pw s400
Vokey sm8 raw S 54* s400
Vokey sm8 raw M 60* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

My Big Bertha (USA) 3 wood or original Steelhead will find their way into my bag. The Steelhead is the best sounding metal wood ever produced.

• Like 1

Cobra Fly-Z+ Aldila DVS
MacGregor MT 4w Aldila DVS
Titleist 915H 3
Ben Hogan Apex Edge Pro/'87 Titleist Tour Model/'86 Spalding Tour Edition
Titleist SM6 50 F Grind
Titleist SM6 54 S Grind
Titleist SM6 58 S Grind
Titleist SC Studio Design 5

Young derringer here,

I dont know how you guys rate it but I use (currently) the cleveland launcher dst 3w. Ive owned it since 2011 and have used it since. One of the clubs ive owned since my beginning days and have hit all kinds of shots since. it has a deeper face than what comes standard now. I still get great distance relatively speaking to my twin brothers (who is slightly longer than me) but I still keep a small 3-5 yards behind his m2 (2016) 3w.  I use it both off the tee and off the turf, this is the club i crafted my ability to "hit" a 3 wood. 

Ping G400/ fujikura pro 63 s

Cleveland launcher dst 3w/ diamana red board s 

Nike vrs covert 5w/ kurokage black s

Titleist 718 T-mb 4 iron / amt white s300

Titleist 716 AP2 5-pw/ amt white s300

Nike VR forged 52-56 / dynamic gold s400

Nike midnight method 006/ red pure grip 

Funny this thread should come up i've just bought (again) an Adams tight lies titanium, think they came out in 2015, i had one for ages, changed multiple times since and just bought the Sim Ti, cant say im a fan of the Sim after a few rounds so changing back to the Adams, i loved it and should never have sold it

DRIVER: Taylormade Sim Max 9*

3 WOOD: Adams Tight Lies TI 15*

5 WOOD: Taylormade SLDR 19*

HYBRID: Adams Pro DHY 21 & 24*

IRONS: Ping I500 6-PW

WEDGES:Ping Glide 3.0 50/54*

LOB WEDGE: Titleist SM7 Raw 58*

PUTTER: Taylormade Patina Ardmore 3

BALL: Taylormade TP5x

I don't know how relevant it might be, but when I've taken it on course, I've been pleasantly surprised by the performance of my J's Professional Weapon 3w.  

Now that I'm thinking about it, it's probably time to give it a couple more rounds in the bag...  ?

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 10*, Aldila RIP Alpha 80 X, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Matrix 8m3 X, 42"
Hybrid:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, NV105 S or DGS400

Irons grab bag:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft pending); 1-PW Golden Ram TW282 or Vibration Matched Golden Rams, RIP Tour 115 R (coin flipping for the reshaft project); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, DGS400; Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Ram Watson Scoring System 55*, DGX 7i shaft; Ram TG-898, DGS400; Ram TG-898, NV105 S; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS300; Ram 1982 Commemorative Nickel 58*, Dynamic S; Ram TW282, DGS; Ram TW276, DGS; Ram Troon Grind 58*, Dynamic S; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, DGS400; Maltby Design 60* mid sole, NV105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"
Balls: Wilson Staff Duo Professional or TaylorMade TP5

I alternate between a Great Big Bertha War Bird Titanium 4 wood with an OG ProLite shaft and an Adams Insight Tour Prototype 2 wood. Can't kick em...... I've tried.

G 410 LST Hzrdus Hulk 60 6.5 
Adams Insight 12.5 Tour AD YSQ 75 X
TM R15 3 Hybrid Factory Fuji X
Mizuno 919 HM Pro 4-P DG 105 S-300
Akira H-252 S-300
Callaway PM Grind Black 56/60 S400 Onyx
Scotty Cameron JAT
Any Tour type ball 

On 9/20/2020 at 11:52 PM, mizuno said:

I recently started playing more and as my swing came back I decided to put my Sonartec GS Tour 3 wood (15*) back in my bag in place of the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816.  Truthfully I am not sure why I ever took it out.  While not as easy to hit as the Callaway, it is not unforgiving by any means and the way the ball launches off the face is incredible with a high flat penetrating flight.  For the time being this is my go to 3 wood!  Sonartec’s fairway metals and hybrids were some of the best clubs ever made, it’s a shame the company is no longer around.

I am surprised that that no one else has had a positive experience with Sonartec!

• Like 1

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 815 10.5*
Sonartec GS Tour 15*
Big Bertha Alpha 815 20*
Mizuno JPX921 Forged 5-6 PX LZ 6.0

Mizuno JPX921 Tour 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Titleist Vokey 52*, 56*, 60*
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5

15 hours ago, mizuno said:

I am surprised that that no one else has had a positive experience with Sonartec!

I love them, and my dad swears by them.

Between us we own a Sonartec 3 Wood, 4 Wood, 17 degree Hybrid, 19 degree Hybrid (Still in the bag to this day), and the 23 degree Hybrid. Almost bought a 21 degree one in the barrel the other day out of principle. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade M5 9.0, Graphite Design YS-6X

3-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel T/S, Graphite Design YS-6S

5-Wood: Taylormade V-Steel 5, MAS 2

Driving Irons: (2) Taylormade P790 UDI (3) Taylormade P790, Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 (2) True Temper S300 (3)
Irons: (4-PW) 716 AP2 True Temper S300 AMT
Wedges: (52, 58) Taylormade Milled Grind 2 SB, True Temper S200
Putter: Ping 1/2 CRAZ-E L Broomstick 48"

16 hours ago, mizuno said:

I think many people have but they haven’t been brought up here. Sound, feel and distance are great

I had an NP-99 and a SS-03 and one reason I didn’t keep them in play was that they looked like they had too much onset

• Like 2
On 9/21/2020 at 1:52 PM, mizuno said:

I recently started playing more and as my swing came back I decided to put my Sonartec GS Tour 3 wood (15*) back in my bag in place of the Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816.  Truthfully I am not sure why I ever took it out.  While not as easy to hit as the Callaway, it is not unforgiving by any means and the way the ball launches off the face is incredible with a high flat penetrating flight.  For the time being this is my go to 3 wood!  Sonartec’s fairway metals and hybrids were some of the best clubs ever made, it’s a shame the company is no longer around.

But, my friend, they are still around. In Japan they always went by "Royal Collection" I have a 17 degree titanium model that is bloody amazing.

• Like 3

https://www.royalcollection.co.jp/product/bbd/fw/

This one here. It's a few years old. Found one reshafted with an Attas G7 7x for $100 a few months ago. I can get anywhere from 250-280 out of it. I also have an older 18 degree steel constructed RC. The designer who did these is also involved with A-Grind, a smaller company out of Kobe, Japan.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cobra LTD fairway. 4 years old and only recently updated by the SZ Big Tour. Beast of a fairway wood. 

Cobra F9 9* - Ventus Black 7X / Cobra SZ Big Tour 13.5* - Tour AD TP 8X / Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Tour AD IZ 95X

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4,5 / MP20 6-P - Project X 6.5 / Vokey SM8 50.08F, 56.12D, 60.08M - Project X 6.0

TM TP Juno or Spider Tour Black / Bridgestone BX

Easiest to hit, most anti-left fw for me, with good distance, is my XCG7 16.5 std 4w. Really gotta put a bad swing on it to turn out even remotely ugly.

TM 2016 M2 12* - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Cally Rogue X 18.5* 4i, Diamana 70 S, 39.75"

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5"

Vokey SM8 54.14F, 60.10S

"Rusty" Byron DH89 Slant Pipe // Byron GSS DH89 Long Slant // GOAT NP2 Tiger Putter