Jump to content

Why does everything Bryson hits go left or straight?


Recommended Posts

52 minutes ago, New_age99 said:


Just thinking out load . Could this have been caused due to not having my hands forward / leading through impact ? I just watched a Kirk Junge video and he advocates the hands / grip leading the strike at impact and I feel like I was definitely not doing that on the range. 
 

It seems like this would keep my club face square for longer during the low point of the swing. 
 

I’ll have to try it out once hurricane Teddy passes. 

 

Bryson delays the settings of the hand well into the backswing, longer than most and like some long distance competitors. It is an integral part of his method and I think it's necessary to have a chance at making the technique work. He has a unique preswing move where he keeps the club extended away from the left arm even with his irons. I have tried it and cannot do it consistently as I get too tight. I think one has to have a really tight turn with the left arm pressed up against the body as well, something I always struggle with. The other thing that is relevant is his braced right leg, something that I try to employ. If you can get that right I think you can forget about the early extension.

  • Like 1

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you use the adjustable hosel to lower the loft you open the face. If you build a club with low loft you can build it with any face angle you want.    I believe Bryson plays a 7.5 set at 5.5,

Club face is square at impact, club is on plane. 

Some people who are now eating their words would have said because he's never right about anything, lol.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, David69 said:

Lower lofted clubs sit more open naturally. That is why your 9i is visibly more closed at address than your 5i. It is how adjustable hosels work too. 

 

 

What does how an adjustable hosel works have to do with how low loft affects face angle ? You’re saying it’s not possible to have a neutral face angle at a low loft , such as 5 degrees ?

Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

What does how an adjustable hosel works have to do with how low loft affects face angle ? You’re saying it’s not possible to have a neutral face angle at a low loft , such as 5 degrees ?

Exactly when did I ever say that it was impossible to have a neutral face angle at a low loft? I said that a lower lofted club has a naturally more open face angle than a higher lofted club - which means that you likely have to do something in setup or with wrist action (or other...) to get it to close or stay square through impact and not be open. And since a weak left hand grip promotes a naturally open club face (the bane of all slicers)  - that FACT - paired with the lower lofted club - means that he must have some other mechanism for managing the club face as it comes through. Several others have shown here that Bryson does in fact have other factors in his swing that get it to close and not slice right. he has a huge back turn and manages to swing form the inside with the ball up etc... and it appears he does have some wrist action as he swings through too. The average golfer using his setup (super low lofted club and a weak top hand on an oversized grip) will very likely shoot everything right unless they make adjustments. 

 

The adjustable hosel vid was just there because he goes into great detail on how they work and how loft affects face angle etc... 

 

Here - maybe this Golf Channel video they just posted a minute ago will make you more happy. Bryson likes tension - helps him manage the club face.  Another "opposite of everything you've ever been taught" thing to ponder. Enjoy! 

https://bit.ly/2EplTXL

Edited by David69
Link to post
Share on other sites

during his post win interview, Bryson said the reason he was hitting the ball left on Saturday was because his left elbow / arm was breaking down.   Thus his hands would turn over and the ball would hook a bunch.

He found this out practicing on Saturday night.    After being mindful of his left elbow / arm, he was striping his drives.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

No they don’t. You can have any loft with any face angle. This is completely unrelated to how modern adjustable drivers work. 

If you use the adjustable hosel to lower the loft you open the face. If you build a club with low loft you can build it with any face angle you want. 
 

I believe Bryson plays a 7.5 set at 5.5, which open the face by about 2 degrees. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I pick 14 of the following:
Ping G400
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood
Ping G 400 4 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54, 58 SS
Grips NDMC +4
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer
ProV1x-mostly
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, pinhigh27 said:

No they don’t. You can have any loft with any face angle. This is completely unrelated to how modern adjustable drivers work. 

He says it at around the 4 minute mark. Bryson plays an adjustable driver - so talking about a fixed loft custom driver is not what was being discussed. I thought that was clear.  I am aware you can build a driver to custom fit whatever your needs are. 

Edited by David69
Link to post
Share on other sites

Did his driver swing today, at least I think I did. My left forearm arm feels like its never felt after a round of golf. I was either gripping wrong or I need to to start doing some forearm curls. Everything was a fade and it was all very uncomfortable. Best driving day I've had in years. 

Edited by Tax77
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, chipa said:

 

Bryson delays the settings of the hand well into the backswing, longer than most and like some long distance competitors. It is an integral part of his method and I think it's necessary to have a chance at making the technique work. He has a unique preswing move where he keeps the club extended away from the left arm even with his irons. I have tried it and cannot do it consistently as I get too tight. I think one has to have a really tight turn with the left arm pressed up against the body as well, something I always struggle with. The other thing that is relevant is his braced right leg, something that I try to employ. If you can get that right I think you can forget about the early extension.


At this point I cant make anyone’s version work with the driver. 
 

Tried Graves and Kirk Junges tips today on the range and also just tried my normal swing with the hands pushed up to the one plane but nothing but push slices or hooks. I tried casting , I tried delivering the handle and hands first like Junge suggests to keep the club face square during the flat spot. Nothing changed the ball flight. 
 

My irons and hybrids are so beautiful  they go straight or a baby draw. Driver is a mess. 
 

ive been reading so many people the past while trying just the single plane set up and raving about how much easier and consistent it is to drive the ball and I’m just not getting it. I can’t make heads or

tails of what to do anymore. 
 

The only way I can hit my driver somewhat solid and far at the moment is to literally open the face 90 friggin degrees ( well that’s an exaggeration more like 45 degrees ) aim way right and swing a hook swing. And I hit a monster slight draw that goes forever then rolls forever. But surely one can’t play golf like that. It’s a bandaid not a fix. Even tho my last 5 drives on the range were beauty draws I can’t keep setting up this way. 
 

I really thought the hands forward at impact was gonna be the key for me getting my consistency back with the driver.  I can shoot high 70s without the driver but im commuting to figuring it out. 
 

Also I’m in a two man scramble Saturday and Sunday and I’m gonna be completely leaving my partner out to dry on the tee shots. If he’s not in play first I’ll have to hit an iron down there and leave us miles back of the rest of the field coming into the greens. You can’t win this tournament without good long drives off the tee,  there are too

many strong teams. 


 

ugh haha frustration overload. 
 

That Malaska hip back move

works on every club but then I can’t do it with a driver.  

Edited by New_age99
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New_age99 said:


At this point I cant make anyone’s version work with the driver. 
 

Tried Graves and Kirk Junges tips today on the range and also just tried my normal swing with the hands pushed up to the one plane but nothing but push slices or hooks. I tried casting , I tried delivering the handle and hands first like Junge suggests to keep the club face square during the flat spot. Nothing changed the ball flight. 
 

My irons and hybrids are so beautiful  they go straight or a baby draw. Driver is a mess. 
 

ive been reading so many people the past while trying just the single plane set up and raving about how much easier and consistent it is to drive the ball and I’m just not getting it. I can’t make heads or

tails of what to do anymore. 
 

The only way I can hit my driver somewhat solid and far at the moment is to literally open the face 90 friggin degrees ( well that’s an exaggeration more like 45 degrees ) aim way right and swing a hook swing. And I hit a monster slight draw that goes forever then rolls forever. But surely one can’t play golf like that. It’s a bandaid not a fix. Even tho my last 5 drives on the range were beauty draws I can’t keep setting up this way. 
 

I really thought the hands forward at impact was gonna be the key for me getting my consistency back with the driver.  I can shoot high 70s without the driver but im commuting to figuring it out. 
 

Also I’m in a two man scramble Saturday and Sunday and I’m gonna be completely leaving my partner out to dry on the tee shots. If he’s not in play first I’ll have to hit an iron down there and leave us miles back of the rest of the field coming into the greens. You can’t win this tournament without good long drives off the tee,  there are too

many strong teams. 


 

ugh haha frustration overload. 
 

That Malaska hip back move

works on every club but then I can’t do it with a driver.  

 

 

I would look at a mini driver, strong 3 wood or just cutting your current driver to  43" temporarily until you can make a swing like the rest of your clubs. 

 

BTW, interestingly enough I generally hit mt driver and longer clubs better than my short irons. I am still trying to figure out why. It may be that my wider stance and keeping my hands lower during the takeaway may have something to do with that. One other thing, the problem with imitating Bryson's swing with the great extension at least from my experience is the hands get disconnected at the top, which clearly negates any advantage. A solution to this that I do is turn my left arm in on the chest before letting my shoulders turn. Also, make sure the right hand is close to the left and check it during the backswing to make sure it doesn't come off, if it does you are pulling with the right hand. turning the left arm in to start as I described may help with that. It is a classical move, Tommy Armour and Tom Weiskopf started their swings this way, it helps the arms stay closer together and may help those that get the left arm too away from the body, which is a recipe for a lot of problems, including snap hooks.

  • Thanks 1

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chipa said:

 

 

I would look at a mini driver, strong 3 wood or just cutting your current driver to  43" temporarily until you can make a swing like the rest of your clubs. 

 

BTW, interestingly enough I generally hit mt driver and longer clubs better than my short irons. I am still trying to figure out why. It may be that my wider stance and keeping my hands lower during the takeaway may have something to do with that. One other thing, the problem with imitating Bryson's swing with the great extension at least from my experience is the hands get disconnected at the top, which clearly negates any advantage. A solution to this that I do is turn my left arm in on the chest before letting my shoulders turn. Also, make sure the right hand is close to the left and check it during the backswing to make sure it doesn't come off, if it does you are pulling with the right hand. turning the left arm in to start as I described may help with that. It is a classical move, Tommy Armour and Tom Weiskopf started their swings this way, it helps the arms stay closer together and may help those that get the left arm too away from the body, which is a recipe for a lot of problems, including snap hooks.


Thank you for your reply I

appreciate it! 
 

Coincidentally enough, before reading your reply here, I went into a panic about the weekend and thought , why can I hit the rest so good but the driver ? Then I googled and a lot of answers talked about length. Then I stumbled upon a few videos

of DIY projects of people cutting their drivers extra short. 
 

So I went to the shed and got my old Cobra biocell driver. Then got my 6 iron, and marked off the length, cut my grip off , hack sawed the shaft to the length of my 6 iron, and just threw the grip back on unglued  ( I didn’t fully cut the grip open so the driver still sits pretty snug in the old grip) and went back to the range. 
 

Dead straight bullets down the middle 250-260 range. 
 

I was surprised that at that length of shaft they were still getting out there that far but man the dispersion was incredible.  Bullets , dead bullets no blocks or snaps in sight. 
 

I’m 6’1 and this driver is now 38 inches 9.5 degree and the original shaft was extra stiff before I cut it down. I

dont feel a bit hunched over. Long arms maybe ? One would think at 6’1 I would benefit from a longer shaft. 
 

My buddy is on his way now to take

my 6 iron length driver and put a new grip on it for me before the weekend. 
 

At least I’ll have a fairway finder in the bag now vrs a “where the hell is this going”. 

Edited by New_age99
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

Before you cut your driver down why not choke down on it.


I didn’t cut down my current driver I cut down an old driver I had stored away. 
 

I was already choking down on my current driver. If I was to choke down to the length I have cut my old one to now my bottom hand would be moving off the grip and onto the shaft. 
 

Also the odd time when excessively choking down I feel the top of the grip graze my lead forearm through impact which always feels distracting. 

Edited by New_age99
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, New_age99 said:


I didn’t cut down my current driver I cut down an old driver I had stored away. 
 

I was already choking down on my current driver. If I was to choke down to the length I have cut my old one to now my bottom hand would be moving off the grip and onto the shaft. 
 

Also the odd time when excessively choking down I feel the top of the grip graze my lead forearm through impact which always feels distracting. 

 

2 hours ago, New_age99 said:


Thank you for your reply I

appreciate it! 
 

Coincidentally enough, before reading your reply here, I went into a panic about the weekend and thought , why can I hit the rest so good but the driver ? Then I googled and a lot of answers talked about length. Then I stumbled upon a few videos

of DIY projects of people cutting their drivers extra short. 
 

So I went to the shed and got my old Cobra biocell driver. Then got my 6 iron, and marked off the length, cut my grip off , hack sawed the shaft to the length of my 6 iron, and just threw the grip back on unglued  ( I didn’t fully cut the grip open so the driver still sits pretty snug in the old grip) and went back to the range. 
 

Dead straight bullets down the middle 250-260 range. 
 

I was surprised that at that length of shaft they were still getting out there that far but man the dispersion was incredible.  Bullets , dead bullets no blocks or snaps in sight. 
 

I’m 6’1 and this driver is now 38 inches 9.5 degree and the original shaft was extra stiff before I cut it down. I

dont feel a bit hunched over. Long arms maybe ? One would think at 6’1 I would benefit from a longer shaft. 
 

My buddy is on his way now to take

my 6 iron length driver and put a new grip on it for me before the weekend. 
 

At least I’ll have a fairway finder in the bag now vrs a “where the hell is this going”. 

 

Glad it worked out for you. You may want to add some lead tape to get it to at least D0. It's ok in the beginning (I fit my own clubs) but later on it may feel odd when you are using your other clubs which no doubt have a higher swing weight.

  • Thanks 1

 

Macgregor M-38 9.5, Mondeo 5w, Heater F-35 4h, Acer XV Tour 6i-9i, G, S, Maltby LW, Bionik 105

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2020 at 4:32 PM, David69 said:

The astonishing thing is that the loft on his driver is so low which opens the face, and the Jumbomax grips are so large which promotes a weak grip. all of which promotes an open club face, yet he manages to keep it square and still not shoot everything right. When I try that setup I feel like I am slapping across the ball and it either pushes or worse slices way right if I really go after it. Not sure how he gets the face closed to go left. tremendous win today. 

Is it a higher lofted dialed driver dialed down(aka opened)? Or is it square at 5.5* ? Actually built with that loft?

WITB
Tools for the job!


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, New_age99 said:


At this point I cant make anyone’s version work with the driver. 
 

Tried Graves and Kirk Junges tips today on the range and also just tried my normal swing with the hands pushed up to the one plane but nothing but push slices or hooks. I tried casting , I tried delivering the handle and hands first like Junge suggests to keep the club face square during the flat spot. Nothing changed the ball flight. 
 

My irons and hybrids are so beautiful  they go straight or a baby draw. Driver is a mess. 
 

ive been reading so many people the past while trying just the single plane set up and raving about how much easier and consistent it is to drive the ball and I’m just not getting it. I can’t make heads or

tails of what to do anymore. 
 

The only way I can hit my driver somewhat solid and far at the moment is to literally open the face 90 friggin degrees ( well that’s an exaggeration more like 45 degrees ) aim way right and swing a hook swing. And I hit a monster slight draw that goes forever then rolls forever. But surely one can’t play golf like that. It’s a bandaid not a fix. Even tho my last 5 drives on the range were beauty draws I can’t keep setting up this way. 
 

I really thought the hands forward at impact was gonna be the key for me getting my consistency back with the driver.  I can shoot high 70s without the driver but im commuting to figuring it out. 
 

Also I’m in a two man scramble Saturday and Sunday and I’m gonna be completely leaving my partner out to dry on the tee shots. If he’s not in play first I’ll have to hit an iron down there and leave us miles back of the rest of the field coming into the greens. You can’t win this tournament without good long drives off the tee,  there are too

many strong teams. 


 

ugh haha frustration overload. 
 

That Malaska hip back move

works on every club but then I can’t do it with a driver.  

 

Suggestion.... have you videoed yourself and slo-mo to see whats happening with the club plane, face and your body position? With down the line and front on position prespective. Until you do that, you are guessing what you are doing to hit those misses. Try that video feedback, jus sayin

Cobra Pars & Stripes Speedzone, Fujikura Ventus Blue 6-S Velocore, Club Conex Uni-Fit
Honma 737 13* 3 wood, Vizard A 50S shaft

Taylormade M4 HL 16.5* 3 wood with UST Elements Chrome 7F4
Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid

Cobra Speedzone irons 4 - PW Recoil ESX F4 shafts
Cleveland CBX2 48* wedge & Cleveland FullFace 56* wedge with Catalyst 100 shafts
Directed Force Reno "2.05 Presse IV tweaked" Putter with BGT Stability shaft
#1 Snell MTB-X / Black, #2 Srixon XV 5/6

Graves One Plane swing

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...