Bryson's irons & rough

Just a random thought after watching all the rough related activities during the US Open. Is it possible the Bryson's extremely upright iron lie angles (~10*+ more upright than standard) give him a bit of an advantage out of the rough? It would seem like the more upright a club is, the less shaft/heel/hosel would actually be grabbed on to/twisted by deeper rough. To look at it from the opposite extreme, an iron that was bent significantly flat would, if i'm correct, come into contact with a lot more of the rough around the hosel area. Thoughts?

Edited by Valtiel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Callaway X-Forged UT 23* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 DPC 5i-7i 27*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey Mild Raw 8620 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Pro Platinum

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There’s definitely more to his success than just getting stronger and longer. Some really salient points have been made here as to why. 

Also, his short irons are longer so he has more CHS.   His lofts are adjusted to give him the correct distance gaps which means higher ball flight as well. Good for holding greens with desce

Buddy of mine is on the MacKenzie Tour and also has irons that are nearly as upright as Bryson's. He said better performance out of the rough is definitely a thing with that upright of a lie angle.

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, b.helts said:

I don’t know for sure whether what you propose is accurate. 

But it passes the smell test for me and think it may be “a thing”. 

Good insight!!

Hah thanks, that is exactly what I was thinking in terms of "I don't have any science, but it seems like it could be a thing". ?

• Like 1

Mizuno ST190 9.5* Diamana X'17 70XX || Taylormade M1 430 8.5* Tensei Pro Orange V2 70TX
Titleist 915FD 14.25* Kuro Kage 80XTS || Taylormade TP UDI 16* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid
Titleist 915FD 17.25* Kuro Kage 90XTS || Titleist 818 H118.25* Diamana Kai'li s103x Prototype
Callaway X-Forged UT 20* Kuro Kage XT 100TX Hybrid || Taylormade RSI UDI 20* Kuro Kage 100XTS Hybrid

10 minutes ago, Valtiel said:

Just a random thought after watching all the rough related activities during the US Open. Is it possible the Bryson's extremely upright iron lie angles (~10*+ more upright than standard) give him a bit of an advantage out of the rough? It would seem like the more upright a club is, the less shaft/heel/hosel would actually be grabbed on to/twisted by deeper rough. To look at it from the opposite extreme, an iron that was bent significantly flat would, if i'm correct, come into contact with a lot more of the rough around the hosel area. Thoughts?

100 % agree. I would think it would be a huge advantage through the whole bag. 

Buddy of mine is on the MacKenzie Tour and also has irons that are nearly as upright as Bryson's. He said better performance out of the rough is definitely a thing with that upright of a lie angle.

Basically, if you have a high VSP, you start to minimize rough interaction as much as you can.

Edited by jll62
  • Like 4

TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
TaylorMade SIM Max Rescue 19, Fujikura Atmos Blue Tour Spec 8X Hybrid
TaylorMade P770 (2020) 3-4, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade P7MC 5-6, KBS $-Taper S

TaylorMade P7MB 7-PW, KBS $-Taper S
TaylorMade MG2 52, Hi-Toe 58 - DG S400 Tour Issue
TaylorMade Milled Juno proto, 40.5" armlock
TaylorMade TP5x (2017)
jll62's WITB

1 hour ago, jvincent said:

Also, his short irons are longer so he has more CHS.

His lofts are adjusted to give him the correct distance gaps which means higher ball flight as well. Good for holding greens with descent angle vs spin.

That is a good point as well. More speed with 8-iron down to wedge means more effective gouging within the "bomb and gouge" approach. 

45 minutes ago, NoCalHack said:

I don’t the lie itself would make a big difference at all. 10 degrees probably means a couple blades of grass. 

But one reason why his clubs are so upright is the one length thing.  The fact that his longer irons are shorter means he swings them steeper. This no doubt helps him. 

The clubs are mainly more upright due to his swing, not the one length thing, otherwise the crossover point, in this case his 7-iron, would have a more standard lie angle. Cobra's One Length sets do not have his lie angles either. 

Also 10 degrees is a TON in terms of lie angle and would be far far more than just a couple blades of grass in terms of rough interaction, especially in thicker rough. 

I think the added length that produces more speed is a bigger factor. I also think Winged Foot is more accessible to a bomb and gouge mentality since nearly every green is open in front.

• Like 2

Cobra King f9/Fujikura Atmos Red TS 60S
TEE 15* XCG/DVS 70S
Adams Idea Pro 20*/Aldila Blue Bayou 80S
Srixon 565 4-PW / Nippon tour modus 105S
TM TP 52*
TM TP ATV 56*
TM TP ATV 60*
Giannini Legacy 3

25 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

I think his irons are heavier than normal also which will help maintain club speed through the rough.  I play high swing weight golf club and they plow through the rough much easier than stock clubs.  

That may be true, I don’t know. 

But he plays his driver in the B swingweight. B8 or B9 if I recall correctly. I’d be surprised, given that, if his irons were exceptionally heavy. But again, I don’t know. 

1 hour ago, b.helts said:

That may be true, I don’t know. 

But he plays his driver in the B swingweight. B8 or B9 if I recall correctly. I’d be surprised, given that, if his irons were exceptionally heavy. But again, I don’t know. 

The only reason his driver was that swingweight was due to the extremely heavy grips he used to use, so the driver wasn't actually light I don't think. I'm pretty sure Bryson's driver now measures in a "normal" range due to switching to the JumboMax Ultralight version.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, ronbo said:

Biggest advantage is the GW is the length of his 6 iron and the amount of club head speed compared to a Std. GW or even a PW out of the rough is unbelievable. Try it sometime. One Length here to stay....

Most AM golfers can't hit a GW or SW as it is, much less from a bunker. When length is added, it gets more difficult. It may be here to stay for Bryson, but isn't new or unique and was tried years ago unsuccessfully. The amount of customization required to do it right makes it even more ill fitting than current OEM off the rack offerings. About as useful as martini tees or long putters to 99% of golfers.

4 hours ago, Valtiel said:

The only reason his driver was that swingweight was due to the extremely heavy grips he used to use, so the driver wasn't actually light I don't think. I'm pretty sure Bryson's driver now measures in a "normal" range due to switching to the JumboMax Ultralight version.

Yeah he was playing 120 gram grips before and now he is playing grips that weight 50 grams so if his driver was B8 it is now E8.  I think that his clubs are built to the same spec as his 7 iron so that would mean that the long irons would have to be heavier because they would be shorter and the short irons would be longer thus they would be swung at a faster speed. All these factors might contribute to his clubs simply plowing through the rough a lil bit better than stock clubs.  Nevertheless I enjoyed watching it and completely agree with the way he plays golf.  The math of golf will never change and impact is always boss.  

12 hours ago, Valtiel said:

Maybe a tad but nothing like having 20lb forearms. One-plane swing requires more upright lies.

11 hours ago, jvincent said:

Also, his short irons are longer so he has more CHS.

His lofts are adjusted to give him the correct distance gaps which means higher ball flight as well. Good for holding greens with descent angle vs spin.

Keep I mind too his set up vs the actual lofts 

Bryson 4i 18* = fairly std 2 iron 

his steepness adds launch , IMOP the reasoning for the reduced loft. 

Q his irons are 10 upright ???? Per WRX 66* which is 4-5 upright from ave specs 

FB671420-DA64-4A52-B593-08F7C58880B3.jpeg

Edited by drbonesvt

SIM 8* AD TP 7tx 1.25" 
SIM 15* ADDI 90x tipped 2"
Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Weak loft -2* flat 620mb specs 
TMAG MG2 52(@53*) SB 10* , 58(@59*) LB 9* bounce  - Tour Issue S400 (62* Lie angle) 
Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

I'll add some science, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. 

Why would an upright lie cause the club to slice through the rough any better than an average lie club? The surface area, and thus resistance, is the same regardless of the lie. If anything, the closer the hosel gets to the face of the club the less room there is for the grass to travel between the hosel and face, causing a 'paddle' effect that would seem to actually increase resistance. 

It's my opinion his ability to handle rough better than his opponents is tied to the speed at which he goes through the rough. A faster club causes the grass to essentially liquify. Sounds absolutely crazy to type that btw. 

Edited by kcsf
  • Like 1

Mavrik

Ping hybrids

Miura CB-1008/MB-001

Callaway Jaws 5 50*

TM TW 56*

Ping Tess JAS

3 hours ago, ronbo said:

Biggest advantage is the GW is the length of his 6 iron and the amount of club head speed compared to a Std. GW or even a PW out of the rough is unbelievable. Try it sometime. One Length here to stay....

No, you can't be right.  Some guy who's never tried it said so in a post earlier in the thread.

?

• Haha 1

M4 Driver
3, 5, & 7 Woods

Hybrids have been banished
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
56º, 62º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

And while we're at it, let's nip this "grass wrapping around the hosel" stuff. It doesn't happen. High speed video has disproved it.

I don't know about liquify, ? but I like sound of that. Haha.

High AoA and club head speed help. His iron heads are heavy (about 9 iron for all clubs), so that can increase MOI for most irons.

Swing weight very light (C7.5ish) adds speed. There isn't much time for the head to twist during the impact interval.

Heads are heavy increases MOI - resistance to twist.

AoA is upright, less drag entering the grass.

I think he's wearing metal spikes now so the earth doesn't spin around him as he rotates. ?

I hate playing golf. Want to play tomorrow?

Just had another thought on this.  Playing super jumbo grips and holding them in the palms, versus playing small grips and holding in the fingers.  Which would better resist twisting?   Just a rhetorical question.  The grips and his grip would give him a huge assist in that.

M4 Driver
3, 5, & 7 Woods

Hybrids have been banished
4, 6-GW basic GI irons, weak lofts and +1/2" for more speed and launch
56º, 62º Wedges
Odyssey Jailbird Mini

I think it has more to do with how steep he is.  Both Bryson and Matthew Wolff are quite a bit steeper into the ball then most tour players.  That is a huge advantage when playing out of the rough.  Phil Mickelson is also very steep, and he played well from the rough at the last US Open at Winged Foot.  

Edited by Dr. Block
  • Like 1

Sadly - I did not watch as much of the tourney as I wanted.  Bryson does that very upright setup - channeling Moe Norman.   

I think Bryson and Wolff did so well was because they bomb it and both handled the rough.  Wolff may have been even better out of the rough.  He is not very big but he has so much power.

Byson's irons/touch/short game were insane.  After watching him earlier in the year - I thought he really needs to improve his short game.  He must have thought the same thing because he really upped his game.