2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Jaime Diaz on Bryson

OgeecheeMac1

2 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

What's funny is that "Tiger Proofing" courses had nothing to do with preventing Tiger from winning. It actually made it far easier for him to win. "Bryson Proofing" would be an odd strategy considering he isn't longer than everyone the way Tiger was ( i mean Tiger was 40-50 yards past a lot of guys) and as happened in the past, it would just help to ensure that guys like him and DJ, and Rory too...have even more advantage

I don't understand why everyone cares about this so much. Sports change all the time. Basketball, Baseball, Football...etc . All are different than they were 20-30 years ago. 

If Bryson can shoot under par for 4 days on a course a scratch dude would shoot 90 on...Why do we need to freak about it. Like OMG he didn't hit irons off the tee, i'm gonna go light myself on fire now! 

Lol.  Good take.  But I’ll add.  Your baseball basketball and football references.  I’m a guy who grew up playing all 3 of those.  And at a high level through my whole youth.  Ate and slept sports.  Lifelong cubs fan etc. watched sports every second  I could.  And now .... I’m down to golf and college football. And I’m not talking recently. I mean I haven’t watched in 10 plus years.   Each sport has changed and turned me off one by one. Baseball is unwatchable for me now.  Once the call of balls and strikes essentially came out of the umps hands.  Basketball ?  Haven’t watched since MJ left the last time.  7 ft point guards who whine don’t interest me.   And nfl wasn’t ever really watchable.  Screen pass , screen pass , running back up the middle for a first down. Repeat.  Boring. 

my point is.  It’s like a video game. Once you “ beat “ the game. Usually that game gets put in the drawer and never played again.   I guess time will tell if golf is “ beat”. Luckily it has the most defense of any sport with the USga and the golf gods ?.  

• Like 2

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

If the armlock was so much better (same could be said for belly and chest anchored long putters) then everyone would use them.  Why they were banned or why people want to ban armlock is beyond me.

It truly is bettter if and when you get one setup to truly fit you.  It’s very hard to do that though and propel quit the experiment before they get there.  I got there but I quit it because it just felt like a crutch that I knew eventually would be illegal.  I built a traditional stroke instead.  But I made a ton of puts locked in.  Anybody who can bend over and has a yip should absolutely spend the time snd $ to get into an armlock that fits.  You’ll have to adjust loft lie and length more than once to find your fit though.  It’s not just a buy it and try it deal.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

14 minutes ago, MtlJeff said:

What's funny is that "Tiger Proofing" courses had nothing to do with preventing Tiger from winning. It actually made it far easier for him to win. "Bryson Proofing" would be an odd strategy considering he isn't longer than everyone the way Tiger was ( i mean Tiger was 40-50 yards past a lot of guys) and as happened in the past, it would just help to ensure that guys like him and DJ, and Rory too...have even more advantage

I don't understand why everyone cares about this so much. Sports change all the time. Basketball, Baseball, Football...etc . All are different than they were 20-30 years ago. 

If Bryson can shoot under par for 4 days on a course a scratch dude would shoot 90 on...Why do we need to freak about it. Like OMG he didn't hit irons off the tee, i'm gonna go light myself on fire now! 

And for the most part they get a little bit worse for the change. Basketball-worse, baseball-way worse, football-worse ( in some ways, better in others) , but starting from a strong position so they have a big margin for error. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Lol.  Good take.  But I’ll add.  Your baseball basketball and football references.  I’m a guy who grew up playing all 3 of those.  And at a high level through my whole youth.  Ate and slept sports.  Lifelong cubs fan etc. watched sports every second  I could.  And now .... I’m down to golf and college football. And I’m not talking recently. I mean I haven’t watched in 10 plus years.   Each sport has changed and turned me off one by one. Baseball is unwatchable for me now.  Once the call of balls and strikes essentially came out of the umps hands.  Basketball ?  Haven’t watched since MJ left the last time.  7 ft point guards who whine don’t interest me.   And nfl wasn’t ever really watchable.  Screen pass , screen pass , running back up the middle for a first down. Repeat.  Boring. 

my point is.  It’s like a video game. Once you “ beat “ the game. Usually that game gets put in the drawer and never played again.   I guess time will tell if golf is “ beat”. Luckily it has the most defense of any sport with the USga and the golf gods ?.  

I played football and basketball in college, so similar for me. Never was big into baseball. I can definitely see the argument on how basketball and football are different now. People often credit the Rockets with ruining basketball when they created the 5-out offense (basically 4 guys watching Harden dribble waiting to shoot a 3), and i feel football is rapidly on track to become 27 teams running the air raid. 

That being said, i don't think i miss the old ways that much. Watching the Knicks and Pacers punch each other in the face for 48 minutes? Watching the Bucs and Rams play an 11-6 game where Shaun King completes like 7 passes. Watching Trent Dilfer miss guys by 10 yards on a team that wins the Super Bowl..

These are probably just stereotypes based on memories too. Not every team played the same way then. And in the NBA not every team runs the 5 out now. So i think we'll be OK

I watch the NBA less than i used to, but not because of the style of play...more because it's hard to keep track of who is on what team. And then when you figure it out 24 of them have demanded trades or are refusing to play while being paid. 

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

1 minute ago, MtlJeff said:

I played football and basketball in college, so similar for me. Never was big into baseball. I can definitely see the argument on how basketball and football are different now. People often credit the Rockets with ruining basketball when they created the 5-out offense (basically 4 guys watching Harden dribble waiting to shoot a 3), and i feel football is rapidly on track to become 27 teams running the air raid. 

That being said, i don't think i miss the old ways that much. Watching the Knicks and Pacers punch each other in the face for 48 minutes? Watching the Bucs and Rams play an 11-6 game where Shaun King completes like 7 passes. Watching Trent Dilfer miss guys by 10 yards on a team that wins the Super Bowl..

These are probably just stereotypes based on memories too. Not every team played the same way then. And in the NBA not every team runs the 5 out now. So i think we'll be OK

I watch the NBA less than i used to, but not because of the style of play...more because it's hard to keep track of who is on what team. And then when you figure it out 24 of them have demanded trades or are refusing to play while being paid. 

All very true.  We’re just getting old Jeff. And it sucks.  2020 has added 20 years to my life I think.  I doubt I ever wake up not tired again.  

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

7 minutes ago, OrangeGravy said:

And for the most part they get a little bit worse for the change. Basketball-worse, baseball-way worse, football-worse ( in some ways, better in others) , but starting from a strong position so they have a big margin for error. 

I don't want to sidetrack the thread but i don't really agree. I could definitely see the Bird-Magic 80's being positioned as peak basketball. Those were two teams stacked with HOF players who knew each other well and passed well. But the 90's and early 2000's was awful. Dump into post, watch anchorman style brawl break out. It was a bunch of power forwards saying "Let's go over the ground rules: No touching of the hair or face....now let's do this!"

If it wasn't for MJ we would have had 2 decades of terrible basketball. I'd dare you to go watch Rockets/Knicks if i wasn't worried you might jump off your roof

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

10 hours ago, OgeecheeMac1 said:

There seems to be two reactions to Bryson. Diaz and Rory are not impressed. Everyone else is fine with it. They want courses “Bryson proofed”. Reminds me of Tiger.

Only if you don't listen to what they have to say and start a thread making stuff up.  

First, Rory said it was a "brilliant" win.  Second, he didn't say anything about "Bryson proofing" - he just looked lost, frankly, trying to find something to say.  But he was definitely impressed to the point of looking a little shocked, but so what, stick a mic in front of Rory and you'll get his honest take on something at that moment.

Third, you completely fabricate the suggestion that Jaime Diaz wants courses "Bryson proofed".  He was asked about the USGA and R&A.  He has talked about Bryson frequently this year, he's very impressed.  He didn't ask for any changes, he said the USGA has a game that is out of balance (big deal, it is), he said there will be discussions (perhaps you don't know that is still a continuing and more importantly upcoming potential action item for the USGA and that's been out there a long time).  There wasn't a single editorial comment from Jaime Diaz that he wasn't personally "fine" with him winning or how he won this tournament.

• Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

It truly is bettter if and when you get one setup to truly fit you.  It’s very hard to do that though and propel quit the experiment before they get there.  I got there but I quit it because it just felt like a crutch that I knew eventually would be illegal.  I built a traditional stroke instead.  But I made a ton of puts locked in.  Anybody who can bend over and has a yip should absolutely spend the time snd $ to get into an armlock that fits.  You’ll have to adjust loft lie and length more than once to find your fit though.  It’s not just a buy it and try it deal.  

If it is truly better if it is fit properly, then why haven't more tour players switched?  Obviously they can be properly fitted.  I owned a putter company and know how to fit them, and could have anything I wanted made.  I tried armlock and belly both.  I had multiple heads with different lofts and weights and every other variable and could never get anything better than normal.

I get that for some people it is better, just like some people hit different shafts, different irons or drivers, better than others.  I do not think it is better for everyone, I guess is a better way to put it.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

Slow play is almost the worst thing that can happen on the golf course and I have found BD very aggravating to watch in the past. However I can recall no times in this tournament that he emerged as "that Guy".

I Still don't like his personality and his uber positive self talk but I thought this was an observation worth sharing.

Dan 

48 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

All very true.  We’re just getting old Jeff. And it sucks.  2020 has added 20 years to my life I think.  I doubt I ever wake up not tired again.  

You guys don't know old! I loved watching John Havlicek and Don Meredith (okay, I was pretty young for Dandy Don and barely remember him as a player, but had a football with his "signature").

Edited by Hawkeye77

3 hours ago, mortimer said:

Congratulations to De Chambeau! he has taken a unique and fresh route to the game and, whether people like him or not, it is working for him. IMHO the only thing that really needs to be addressed and solved is his slow play. It is not acceptable and shows no respect to other players to take such a long time for preparing any kind shot, wheter it is a 200 yd approach or a 6 feet putt. This is golf not rocket science

And yet his round with Wolff was almost exactly 4 hours - not bad.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Dave230 said:

People acting like hate of DeChambeau has come from nowhere when he has shown:

Lack of sportsmanship (look up Richard McEvoy on the European Tour).

Disregard for playing partners with slow play (various examples but look up Liberty National last year when he took 3 minutes to play a shot and 2 minutes to take a putt).

Disregard for rules officials (Rocket Mortgage Classic trying to get a ruling from a fence and refusing to accept it, saying he got a "garbage ruling as usual", the ants incident).

Expecting special treatment (the "garbage ruling", "don't film me it's damaging my brand", getting his caddie to block the camera after he hit a bad shot etc).

Let's just say he is not loved for a reason, but he should be respected because he has a brilliant game and it's not just long driving, it was putting that won it for him this weekend.

you hit the nail on the head!  The dislike of BD isn’t about how differently he plays golf, it’s about him as a person and the odd and wrong interactions he seems to consistently have.  He seems to have a terrible attitude problem and is building a resume of poor interactions with officials, broadcast staff, and fans.  I wonder if part of his success this year is actually the lack of fans because he’s not loved and would be hearing about it in most Venues.  

23 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

You guys don't know old! I loved watching John Havlicek and Don Meredith (okay, I was pretty young for Dandy Don and barely remember him as a player, but had a football with his "signature").

Oh I know.  Lol I do. But I’m not sure I’m ready to face it.  If it didn’t come incrementally, I’m not sure I would.  

I have a 12 year old wanting to be 25.  And I find myself begging him to slow down and realize where he is and what he has.  He’ll wake up and be 40 and wonder where time went.  

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

36 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

If it is truly better if it is fit properly, then why haven't more tour players switched?  Obviously they can be properly fitted.  I owned a putter company and know how to fit them, and could have anything I wanted made.  I tried armlock and belly both.  I had multiple heads with different lofts and weights and every other variable and could never get anything better than normal.

I get that for some people it is better, just like some people hit different shafts, different irons or drivers, better than others.  I do not think it is better for everyone, I guess is a better way to put it.

Most tour players are good putters.  You aren’t going to take a positive strokes gained putter and make him better instantly.   That’s why.  Once you get there you are too superstitious to change unless your awful at something ( web Simpson , Keegan Bradley , Bryson ).   It helps the yippy - flippy guys.   And I can see it as a way to make a great kid putter from the start.  

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

10 hours ago, ChrisSP said:

I don't get the hate. The guy picked a path he believes in and he's putting in the work and getting results. Most people who take that approach at anything in life are applauded for it.

I just hope that he enjoys himself tonight - maybe snort some A1 sauce off a Morton's waitress while chugging protein shakes.

You do you Bryson!. 

Bryson is changing the game in how he approaches it. McIlroy said the following: "I played with him at Colonial the first week back out, but I said, 'Okay, wait until he gets to a proper golf course, he'll have to rein it back in.' This is as proper as they come, and look what happened."

10 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

It's one tournament, and he was 7th in driving distance, so I don't see a need to 'Bryson proof' anything.  It's not like he dominates in every tournament he plays.  Let's see how consistent he can be.

My guess is he was hitting it farther than anyone in the air, and higher.  He was bombing it over trees that others were trying to work it around. Wolff for example was out driving him because he was getting more rollout when he hit the fairway, but he had to take different lines off the tee.  Bryson’s real advantage was he was able to cut corners, often landing in the rough, then he had the strength to muscle it on the green, often with a nice chunk and run sort of shot.  Rory has speed but doesn’t have the strength to do what he did. 

• Like 4

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

19 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Most tour players are good putters.  You aren’t going to take a positive strokes gained putter and make him better instantly.   That’s why.  Once you get there you are too superstitious to change unless your awful at something ( web Simpson , Keegan Bradley , Bryson ).   It helps the yippy - flippy guys.   And I can see it as a way to make a great kid putter from the start.  

Everyone has their opinion.  I agree arm lock isn't going to make Kisner, Reed, Pulter, Na, or Fitx better putters.  

Hideki is an awful putter, Luke List is an awful putter, Dufner is an awful putter, Keegan is an awful putter(even with arm lock), Glover.  There are others.  Some people putt better left hand low, Jim Furyk said that if every kid learning the game learned it left hand low they would all be better putters, also an opinion.  Is it left hand low that helps Speith make all those 20+ footers and miss too many short ones?  Or would that be the same no matter what?

In your case it made you better, but because you thought it would be banned you stopped using it.  For you, it made you better.  I agree that if not done correctly, arm lock will make you actually worse, but I do not see it to be a fix-all even when properly fit.

Your opinion is that you have to be god awful to switch or if you start that way it will be worthwhile.  My opinion is just like everything else in golf there is no one way to do anything that is better for everyone.  Arm Lock IMHO is not better for everyone, it does not make a bad putter good (Keegan), it does not solve everything for everyone.  There are some people that use it and use it well.  Just like some people use offset irons well and some don't, some like three wedges and some like four.  Some have five headcovers in their bag and some only have two, some have three and some have four.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

While I do find BD to be a very "odd bird" for reasons previously mentioned by others, have come around in the last couple months to where I can separate that from the way he plays the game. One of the things the detractors whining about "bomb and gouge" miss is that BD actually hit more fairways than the field average for the week. Like it or not, driving it the way he does is a skill unto itself and it makes all kinds of good things possible. It would seem that the only RELATIVE weakness in his game right now is approaches with wedges and short irons, and if he finds a way to tighten up that area then the only thing that will stop him is his kidneys giving out due to protein overload. (joking...but not really) If there was ever a course and set-up that conventional wisdom would have told you was "Bryson-proofed", it was Winged Foot, and yet he won going away and was the only player under par. What does that tell us? 

He was at least in contention in practically every tournament after the restart and now he's won what would appear to be the first of many Major titles. My guess is that we'll see the outbreak of a distance arms race on the PGA Tour of thermonuclear proportions in the coming months. No course set-up, equipment roll-back, or any other contrivance can take away the earned advantage that BD currently holds over practically everybody else. The only question is how many try to catch up with him, how they go about it, and can they succeed in doing so. For example, will guys like Finau start bringing their 200+ ball speed swing to the table in competition? We'll see.

Edited by bcflyguy1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

1 hour ago, Hawkeye77 said:

Only if you don't listen to what they have to say and start a thread making stuff up.  

First, Rory said it was a "brilliant" win.  Second, he didn't say anything about "Bryson proofing" - he just looked lost, frankly, trying to find something to say.  But he was definitely impressed to the point of looking a little shocked, but so what, stick a mic in front of Rory and you'll get his honest take on something at that moment.

Third, you completely fabricate the suggestion that Jaime Diaz wants courses "Bryson proofed".  He was asked about the USGA and R&A.  He has talked about Bryson frequently this year, he's very impressed.  He didn't ask for any changes, he said the USGA has a game that is out of balance (big deal, it is), he said there will be discussions (perhaps you don't know that is still a continuing and more importantly upcoming potential action item for the USGA and that's been out there a long time).  There wasn't a single editorial comment from Jaime Diaz that he wasn't personally "fine" with him winning or how he won this tournament.

Let me start by saying "Go Blue."

I can't find a video of McIlroy's interview (and I do think the video is better than the transcript because you can see his body language), but here are a bunch of quotes he made during his interview. To me (and I realize how one interprets McIlroy's interview will vary greatly by person), he seemed like a sore loser and took several digs at Bryson. He repeated, multiple times, that Bryson is "taking advantage" of the game right now, intimating that Bryson is doing something unsavory in order to gain an advantage. I don't see that to be the case. I see a guy (Bryson) who is willing to put in more work than others in order to pursue a path he thinks will work best. There is nothing stopping any other player from doing exactly what Bryson has done, except for maybe gumption--which many players lack. In my opinion, Rory seemed like a guy who wants the rules to be changed in order to prevent Bryson from being better than everyone else (which I find to be an odd sentiment given that Bryson hasn't been better than everyone else routinely).

Rory Quotes

"So I think — about the guy, I think it’s brilliant, but I think he’s taken advantage of where the game is at the minute,” Rory McIlroy said. “Look, again, whether that’s good or bad, but it’s just the way it is."

“I don’t really know what to say because that’s just the complete opposite of what you think a U.S. Open champion does,” he said of DeChambeau. “Look, he’s found a way to do it. Whether that’s good or bad for the game, I don’t know, but it’s just — it’s not the way I saw this golf course being played or this tournament being played. It’s kind of hard to really wrap my head around it.”

“With the way [DeChambeau] approaches it, with the arm-lock putting, with everything, it’s just where the game’s at right now,” he said. “I’m not saying that’s right or wrong. He’s just taking advantage of what we have right now.

Maybe it's just me, but I read those quotes as coming from someone who is bitter and is trying to minimize Bryson's accomplishment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

9 hours ago, philly2kuk said:

Not a Rory fan and his comments came across as being a sore loser, but he makes one valid point for me. How is it we don’t allow people to use long putters and belly putters and anchor them, but it’s ok to anchor large parts of the grip against your arm to stabilise the stroke? For me you either allow all the options or none of them, be consistent.

I have been saying the same thing for quite some time.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

11 hours ago, jordan2240 said:

It's one tournament, and he was 7th in driving distance, so I don't see a need to 'Bryson proof' anything.  It's not like he dominates in every tournament he plays.  Let's see how consistent he can be.

The board is "Prisoners of the moment".....LOL!

Edited by Titleist99

20 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

Everyone has their opinion.  I agree arm lock isn't going to make Kisner, Reed, Pulter, Na, or Fitx better putters.  

Hideki is an awful putter, Luke List is an awful putter, Dufner is an awful putter, Keegan is an awful putter(even with arm lock), Glover.  There are others.  Some people putt better left hand low, Jim Furyk said that if every kid learning the game learned it left hand low they would all be better putters, also an opinion.  Is it left hand low that helps Speith make all those 20+ footers and miss too many short ones?  Or would that be the same no matter what?

In your case it made you better, but because you thought it would be banned you stopped using it.  For you, it made you better.  I agree that if not done correctly, arm lock will make you actually worse, but I do not see it to be a fix-all even when properly fit.

Your opinion is that you have to be god awful to switch or if you start that way it will be worthwhile.  My opinion is just like everything else in golf there is no one way to do anything that is better for everyone.  Arm Lock IMHO is not better for everyone, it does not make a bad putter good (Keegan), it does not solve everything for everyone.  There are some people that use it and use it well.  Just like some people use offset irons well and some don't, some like three wedges and some like four.  Some have five headcovers in their bag and some only have two, some have three and some have four.

Yea. I don’t disagree.   

im an oddball anyway.  I literally learned to putt proper last winter.  Before that I was searching and tried it all.  Left hand low for a season.  And armlock for a season.  Armlock is what showed me my actual flaws with a conventional stroke.  I had reverse shaft lean , took it back outside and  looped back in.  Added in a sometimes flip. So armlock forced all that to correct. I credit that to actually showing me what I was doing wrong.  And one day I just became determined to putt conventionally.  .  . And with the help of two learned sets of eyes I did.  In about 6 months time.  Now.  Easily the most confident part of my game. Dropped into plus handicap territory this year for the first time because for the first time I had 14 working clubs. lol. I’m a good putter. But it took 10k reps to get here.  I could have stayed armlock , but it hurts one thing. And It’s feel.  And I’m a feel player.  And for some reason using it felt like admitting defeat.  Personal opinion.   So point taken.  I’m probably biased as an adult who didn’t play as a kid , armlocking was part of my learning process for actually building a stroke.  so i May look at it a bit differently than others.  I view it as a training aide. If that makes sense ?  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

13 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Yea. I don’t disagree.   

im an oddball anyway.  I literally learned to putt proper last winter.  Before that I was searching and tried it all.  Left hand low for a season.  And armlock for a season.  Armlock is what showed me my actual flaws with a conventional stroke.  I had reverse shaft lean , took it back outside and  looped back in.  Added in a sometimes flip. So armlock forced all that to correct. I credit that to actually showing me what I was doing wrong.  And one day I just became determined to putt conventionally.  .  . And with the help of two learned sets of eyes I did.  In about 6 months time.  Now.  Easily the most confident part of my game. Dropped into plus handicap territory this year for the first time because for the first time I had 14 working clubs. lol. I’m a good putter. But it took 10k reps to get here.  I could have stayed armlock , but it hurts one thing. And It’s feel.  And I’m a feel player.  And for some reason using it felt like admitting defeat.  Personal opinion.   So point taken.  I’m probably biased as an adult who didn’t play as a kid , armlocking was part of my learning process for actually building a stroke.  so i May look at it a bit differently than others.  I view it as a training aide. If that makes sense ?  

Feel may be why I didn't do any better with arm lock.  I am the opposite of Bryson in many ways.  I am also a lot like him in many ways.   I learned as a kid I hit wedges closer than 7 irons.  So I started banging driver everywhere I could, I knew as long as I kept in within the tree line I was gonna score better.  That analysis was Bryson like.  My irons are 1/4" increments.  That is Bryson like.   I am a super feel putter, I do not use ANY kind of line on the ball for putting.  The opposite of him.  I like to cut the ball, and have a severely open stance with every club, including the putter.

I was in + territory 2014-2017 (first long time visit since before my kids were born).  I had a brief stay in late 2010 and 2011.  My wrist started bothering me in 2017.  I waited until December of 2019 to have surgery.  So my swing started compensating, and now I cannot find the clubface half of the time.  I am just now able to practice again, so hopefully I can get it worked out and get back to scratch or so.  After having been a plus for 3+ years recently and then now being a 3.5 is really frustrating.

• Like 1

Any pioneer or "thinking outside the box" individual, in any discipline will suffer the slings and arrows from the status quo.  The biggest fear in any industry or sport, etc. is somebody doing something that separates them from the pack making the pack change their ways.  The pack does not want to change their ways because they are comfortable and thriving under the current conditions.  

With that said, this game is cruel.  There are only a few able to sustain excellence for a span of many, many years.  Many of these "he will win a dozen majors" were said about Speith a short-time ago. I have no idea where this goes, but you have to respect a guy who thinks for himself and has the nads to see it through, particularly in the current world that rewards group think and punishes anybody who doesn't get in step with the lemmings.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ATLgopher said:

that he was taking advantage of the current state of the game.... or something to that effect.

threw in something about “locked arm” putting 

If it's really an advantage, maybe Rory should try it.  His putting stroke was atrocious this week.

And, USGA already made Bryson change his putting stroke once...

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

All I know is that I used to be a member of a club where BD won a tournament.  I was told by someone high up in the club that no player treated the staff at the club better for the whole week than BD did.  No one.  That tells me a lot about his character when no one is looking.  We sometimes judge people on these websites based on very small snippits of behavior while on TV or based on social media or reporters comments.  That often doesn't tell the whole story.  

• Like 3

People seem to love Rory for stating his honest opinions so I find nothing wrong with his comments. A lot of people feel that the arm lock isn’t a proper stroke and should have been banned with the belly stroke. I agree with that myself. 

Rory doesn’t like bomb and gouge because he’s one of the best drivers of the golf ball ever. He obviously benefits from the current equipment and course setups but there are others than benefit more. Bryson has driven it incredibly straight for his speed so far.

The way he reacted kinda reminded me of Sergio. Both are ball strikers who currently have a problem converting their ball striking to lower scores. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1