Slowing Down for Tournament Play...?

I played in the first round of my club championship yesterday and realized that I have a tough time staying "patient" during competitive rounds.  I am generally an extremely fast player when it comes to minimizing the time between shots, e.g., first player to the tee box tees off first; as long as it's safe, I'm going to walk in front of you to my ball and get ready for my approach shot, even if it's 20 yards in front of the next player to hit, so that I can hit as soon as they hit; if someone asks, "is it you or me," I'm just going to hit rather than wait for you to figure it out; etc.  Our club already has a huge issue with slow play, so the little things that people do between shots really bothers me.

So very early on, one guy in the group seemed very particular about honors, waiting for the player away to hit first, always unaware of when it's his turn to hit, etc., and I found myself getting extremely annoyed and frustrated.  He'd get to the tee box, pull out his driver, and then just stand there with his thumb up his a**.  When we got to the green to hit our short game shots, he'd get to his ball first and stand around until everyone else set their bags down on the exit side of the green, walked to their ball, and played their shot.  It was so bad that we were on a green where the slow guy was chatting with another player and was completely unaware that he was away to putt or just didn't care.  I looked at him for about two seconds and then set my ball down; I was the closest to the hole...by a lot...  This snow balled and I couldn't shake it.  I missed three tap-ins using the backside of my putter (!) and four-putted a couple greens just tapping it back and forth around the hole rather than stopping and marking because I wanted to speed up play for the group.  We were the lead group and played the front nine in 2:30.

After the first round, I'm in last place in my flight and need to make up 10 shots in the second round to get second-to-last place.

How do you all adjust your game and your temperament for competition play, where things are less casual and people in your group play slower?

Edited by PepsiDuck
  • Like 1

TaylorMade SIM Max 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Black 7X
TaylorMade M5 15* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2TS X
Callaway 815 Alpha Hybrid 21* - Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 90TX
Miura Baby Blade 4-P - KBS $-Taper X
Miura Wedges - 52*, 56* - KBS $-Taper X
Callaway MD4 Tactical 60*
PXG Darkness Operator

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You just… Adjust.   You need to expect it, Kelvin. The overwhelming majority of your tournament rounds will be played at a much slower pace than your regular rounds with your buddies -- espe

Obviously Obee has a lot of tournament experience, and I’m not him. But I think he’d agree with me that this is a skill we all have to learn. To turn the brain of and on at will. Otherwise these kinds

So I focused entirely on keeping mental focus on the golf course today and staying patient with every shot, and I'd say it was a rousing success.  I shot 12 shots better today (82 vs 94 last week); th

5 minutes ago, Obee said:

You just… Adjust.

You need to expect it, Kelvin. The overwhelming majority of your tournament rounds will be played at a much slower pace than your regular rounds with your buddies -- especially if you tend to play quickly.

acknowledging that means that YOU are the one that needs to make changes in competitive golf, not others. You only control yourself, buddy, not them.

Agreed, my question wasn't necessarily how to adjust the players in the group, but ways to adjust yourself or slow yourself down...and reflecting back on prior competitive rounds, this is an issue I've always had...I even recall a round where I was reprimanded by the tournament director, who happened to be playing in my group, that I needed to wait for my turn to play because it was disruptive to others...I'm laughing a bit to myself right now, but I'm remembering how I would just hit my shot during someone's routine because I didn't want to wait for the player away to go through his entire routine...he was that painfully slow...

PXG Darkness Operator

Also, there is nothing at all wrong with playing ready golf in almost all amateur tournaments. Including big qualifiers for the NCGA, SCGA, and USGA. In fact, most of them encourage it.

and totally agree with b.helts: Walk ... S L O W W W W L L L L Y Y Y Y Y. ?

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Titleist 818 H1 21* Atmos Tour Spec Blue - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s-400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s-400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

2 hours ago, b.helts said:

Obviously Obee has a lot of tournament experience, and I’m not him. But I think he’d agree with me that this is a skill we all have to learn. To turn the brain of and on at will. Otherwise these kinds of things will drive you nuts and ruin your focus. 

Some players are able to do it easier than others. But I think one very effective way to do it is to create some kind of trigger that starts your pre-shot routine that subconsciously tells you “it’s go time”.

Specifically, with regard to slow play, the easiest thing to do is to walk slowly. Don’t be in a hurry to get to your ball. 

I've had the honor of playing with Obee years ago, which was a great experience, and I've been following his story over the years in his continued success in competitive golf.  I absolutely hold him in high esteem.

It's interesting you mention a "trigger".  Thinking back to past rounds, I find that I trigger my pre-shot routine when it's safe and practical to do so, even if someone else is executing their own shot.  Of course, I don't do anything that would disrupt other players' shots, like make noise, walk around, or make practice swings while others are swinging.  But I do all my info gathering and shot planning while others are hitting and make my practice swings when I find gaps.  By the time the last shot before me has stopped rolling, my ball is already in the air.  I'm just programmed to do this with all my close friends I regularly play with.

Like Obee said, this is just something I have to consciously think about and stop myself from doing.  Just seeing if there are other methods or techniques to deal with it besides "just doing it"....

And with the walk slowly recommendation, which sounds like a great idea as I walk FAST on the golf course, what if you are the only walker in a group of cart riders?  I think that's why I naturally walk so fast...to keep up with carts...

Edited by PepsiDuck

PXG Darkness Operator

1 hour ago, NotThatGuyorAmI? said:

Frankly, the way you describe your problem indicates to me a lack of self-awareness such that the type of change that would be necessary is unlikely, and your normal way of playing sounds rude, particularly the part about walking out in front of other golfers because you by yourself have concluded it was safe, not even bothering to ask whether it might be just a tad distracting for the poor guy you are playing with (or is it in your mind always playing against?).  Do you ever even ask yourself if possibly you, and not the other guy, is the problem?

Play is slow not because the guy with honors or is away hits first (such rules may well save time by eliminating the necessity of spending time debating the issue while preventing some jerk from always just going first), but partly because people grandiosely imagine that their game means more than it does, which causes them to go through elaborate routines, look at their putts too long, go for all the par fives, and otherwise act like they see pros play on tv, and yes partly because people just want to relax and enjoy their round.  And of course because a whole lot of people on the course in a perfect world be somewhere else.

I expect that there are those who for tournaments go out of their way to relax themselves, to joke around a little, and otherwise keep control of their emotions.  In a tournament, there really should be no great pressure to finish a round quickly, and that is the exact appropriate time to act like a pro and take your time, whether to line up a put or do whatever else is necessary to get the best result possible, which might be to slow yourself down.  Unlike a pro event, you don’t have to worry about eating into the 60 Minutes time slot.  What you are asking is that others compete with the same attitude you have, which is patently unreasonable because among other reasons it is as you recount a losing attitude.

Fair points.  Again, I don't seek to change anyone else's behavior on the golf course; but to adjust my own to accommodate slower conditions.

Do you advocate what I call the "police line"?  That is, everyone forms a line abreast that slowly advances up the hole, stopping at each individual's ball, and waiting until that individual has hit before advancing to the next closest ball?  If a person is hitting from the right side of the fairway while my drive went 10 yards farther and landed in the left rough, should I not go directly to my ball and conduct some of my pre-shot routine so that I can be ready to hit as soon as the other guy hit?  Or should I stand next to the guy in the fairway, watch him hit, and then walk to my ball?  Sure, there is a balance; I don't need to be walking so far ahead that I get in another player's line-of-sight or the landing area.  But I also shouldn't hold up play by waiting for everyone to hit their shot before walking to my ball, especially when I'm the only walker in the group.

So to answer your first question: yes, I genuinely believe the police line contributes to slow play and that it part of the problem.

As to your second point, I don't believe long preshot routines are the primary cause of slow play for amateurs, even in competition.  It's all the time wasted between shots that makes a round slower.  Again, the police line is a strong contributor.  Other reasons?  Lack of awareness of where everyone else's ball generally is, so you're always questioning "who's away" and never ready to go.  Another is waiting until it's your turn to start your pre-shot routine.  There are plenty of things you can do while others are playing their shot, like check yardages, walk your lap around the green to read break, etc.  that don't disrupt others.  But you have your share of golfers who decide to just stand there until everyone else is looking at them before they decide to start to do anything.  I think a lot of it should be common sense, but it unfortunately is not.

As to the last point, I'd offer that simple things like I've mentioned above don't really add any pressure to finish quickly.  Instead, you'll be surprised how quickly your group finishes, even with exhausting pre-shot routines...

Edited by PepsiDuck

PXG Darkness Operator

I have also had the pleasure of playing with Obee. Had a hell of a time not calling him Obee, for a bit. 

Perhaps you don’t need help with the trigger to start your pre-shot routine but need something to help you turn off “go time”. Perhaps incorporate a routine with your glove (if you wear one) or perhaps a headcover. Something little that you do that indicates it’s “down time” and to let go until you hit your “go time” trigger. 

Regarding walking with others that are riding. You’ll just have to know when you have time between shots, and that is when you walk slowly. Even if you are well behind the carts. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, b.helts said:

I have also had the pleasure of playing with Obee. Had a hell of a time not calling him Obee, for a bit. 

Perhaps you don’t need help with the trigger to start your pre-shot routine but need something to help you turn off “go time”. Perhaps incorporate a routine with your glove (if you wear one) or perhaps a headcover. Something little that you do that indicates it’s “down time” and to let go until you hit your “go time” trigger. 

Regarding walking with others that are riding. You’ll just have to know when you have time between shots, and that is when you walk slowly. Even if you are well behind the carts. 

"Perhaps you don’t need help with the trigger to start your pre-shot routine but need something to help you turn off “go time”. Perhaps incorporate a routine with your glove (if you wear one) or perhaps a headcover. Something little that you do that indicates it’s “down time” and to let go until you hit your “go time” trigger. "

This is brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

PXG Darkness Operator

10 hours ago, PepsiDuck said:

I've had the honor of playing with Obee years ago, which was a great experience, and I've been following his story over the years in his continued success in competitive golf.  I absolutely hold him in high esteem.

It's interesting you mention a "trigger".  Thinking back to past rounds, I find that I trigger my pre-shot routine when it's safe and practical to do so, even if someone else is executing their own shot.  Of course, I don't do anything that would disrupt other players' shots, like make noise, walk around, or make practice swings while others are swinging.  But I do all my info gathering and shot planning while others are hitting and make my practice swings when I find gaps.  By the time the last shot before me has stopped rolling, my ball is already in the air.  I'm just programmed to do this with all my close friends I regularly play with.

Like Obee said, this is just something I have to consciously think about and stop myself from doing.  Just seeing if there are other methods or techniques to deal with it besides "just doing it"....

And with the walk slowly recommendation, which sounds like a great idea as I walk FAST on the golf course, what if you are the only walker in a group of cart riders?  I think that's why I naturally walk so fast...to keep up with carts...

I'm definitely not saying that there's an issue there for you and that some of that issue might be things that you don't control (playing very quickly regularly in order to keep up with cart riders when you usually play walking) is a definitely thing you need to address.

Perhaps "practice" playing a bit slower. Play a couple rounds with your buddies while taking a cart, and play at whatever pace they are playing at -- do not rush in any way. And don't care about score, only pay attention to the pace and then see how long it took you to play the round.

Then ... keep in mind that most amateur tournament rounds in foursomes take 4:45 to 5:15 and in threesomes about 4:00 to 4:30. 

I, too, like to play very, very quickly from tee to green. I've learned to slow down my game on the putting green and around the greens, but I used to be very much like you -- always ready to play. Always a bit on the "anxious" side.

I'm finally done with that chapter of my golf life.

• Like 4

Titleist TS2 15* 3-wood - Tensei Blue - 65 - S; Titleist 918 5-wood 19*. Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65 - S
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H 25* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 6H 28* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff; Adams Idea Tech V4 7H 32* ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff

49 minutes ago, Obee said:

I'm definitely not saying that there's an issue there for you and that some of that issue might be things that you don't control (playing very quickly regularly in order to keep up with cart riders when you usually play walking) is a definitely thing you need to address.

Perhaps "practice" playing a bit slower. Play a couple rounds with your buddies while taking a cart, and play at whatever pace they are playing at -- do not rush in any way. And don't care about score, only pay attention to the pace and then see how long it took you to play the round.

Then ... keep in mind that most amateur tournament rounds in foursomes take 4:45 to 5:15 and in threesomes about 4:00 to 4:30. 

I, too, like to play very, very quickly from tee to green. I've learned to slow down my game on the putting green and around the greens, but I used to be very much like you -- always ready to play. Always a bit on the "anxious" side.

I'm finally done with that chapter of my golf life.

“Anxious” is a great way to put it...when I’m on the course, if someone isn’t in the process of playing their shot, then I feel compelled to fill that void and start playing my own shot, even if I am last to play...

PXG Darkness Operator

It's kinda like going 60 in a 55 then getting stuck behind someone doing 54 and you can't pass at all. Yes you're going slower than your supposed to now but in reality you might only save a minute or two if you could of stayed at 60. You just get annoyed. And if you try to push the issue, you risk disaster.

(For fun math, if you're going 60 in a 55 you need to travel 11 miles at that rate just to save one minute of driving)

Edited by SNIPERBBB

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

14 hours ago, PepsiDuck said:

I played in the first round of my club championship yesterday and realized that I have a tough time staying "patient" during competitive rounds.  I am generally an extremely fast player when it comes to minimizing the time between shots, e.g., first player to the tee box tees off first; as long as it's safe, I'm going to walk in front of you to my ball and get ready for my approach shot, even if it's 20 yards in front of the next player to hit, so that I can hit as soon as they hit; if someone asks, "is it you or me," I'm just going to hit rather than wait for you to figure it out; etc.  Our club already has a huge issue with slow play, so the little things that people do between shots really bothers me.

So very early on, one guy in the group seemed very particular about honors, waiting for the player away to hit first, always unaware of when it's his turn to hit, etc., and I found myself getting extremely annoyed and frustrated.  He'd get to the tee box, pull out his driver, and then just stand there with his thumb up his a**.  When we got to the green to hit our short game shots, he'd get to his ball first and stand around until everyone else set their bags down on the exit side of the green, walked to their ball, and played their shot.  It was so bad that we were on a green where the slow guy was chatting with another player and was completely unaware that he was away to putt or just didn't care.  I looked at him for about two seconds and then set my ball down; I was the closest to the hole...by a lot...  This snow balled and I couldn't shake it.  I missed three tap-ins using the backside of my putter (!) and four-putted a couple greens just tapping it back and forth around the hole rather than stopping and marking because I wanted to speed up play for the group.  We were the lead group and played the front nine in 2:30.

After the first round, I'm in last place in my flight and need to make up 10 shots in the second round to get second-to-last place.

How do you all adjust your game and your temperament for competition play, where things are less casual and people in your group play slower?

I have the same issues as you but I have just learned to become a different player when I play in competitive rounds. 

Normally I play really fast. Our course is never very crowded and when it is we skip around. 2.5-3 hours is about my max for 18 and that's a 3 or 4 some. Really don't like playing foursomes because it gets too slow at times. We are ready set hit. We have a lot of fun and only joke about honors on the tee box. We are all pretty laid back. 

Club championship was last weekend. It's a different ball game altogether. We played foursomes and it took over 4.5 hours. Hated the round. I have just learned when it's club championship or other tournaments I have to play different. I prep myself before hand knowing it's going to be this way. During these tournaments I just become a different player. I don't rush. Don't pay much attention to what others are doing. I walk slow and keep myself distracted. I find shade and sit and wait my turn. Sometimes I'm even last to the green. It's just a necessary evil, nothing I can do to change it I just play along and try to focus on my next shot. Stare at the trees and sky and be thankful I'm golfing instead of working.  

Personally don't like playing that way. It's too slow. Most people (myself included) don't play any better when we play slow. 

• Like 1

TM Sim Ventus Blue Velocore 6x
Ping G410 plus 3 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno MP20 Nippon Modus 120
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM6 52,56 SM7 60
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/940075-davids-bag-and-golf-room/"]WITB Link[/url]

56 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

It's kinda like going 60 in a 55 then getting stuck behind someone doing 54 and you can't pass at all. Yes you're going slower than your supposed to now but in reality you might only save a minute or two if you could of stayed at 60. You just get annoyed. And if you try to push the issue, you risk disaster.

(For fun math, if you're going 60 in a 55 you need to travel 13 miles at that rate just to save one minute of driving)

Great analogy. I also get annoyed by slow drivers, especially in SoCal where driving the speed limit in the interstate effectively makes you a road cone. 

PXG Darkness Operator

Like many here, I don't care for slow play but it can happen in competitions and, as others have mentioned, you just need to make an adjustment. 

First, I am grateful that my state association has a good pace of play policy which is enforced. I see slow play most often in interclub fourball match play (where there are no officials and no enforcement of pace). I have been team Captain 4 times and would put our slow players last. It's common for other teams to do the same. But other Captains had me go last much of the time so I have learned how to adapt over the years. You need determination and discipline. Lots of good ideas already mentioned. Here are a couple of things I do when it's slow:

1. I take a little more time - because it's available - calculating and visualizing my approach shots and putts. 

2. I don't pull the club from the bag until the appropriate time. It could be slightly earlier than a fast round because of #3. You can have this same situation even in fast rounds on reachable par 5 holes.  I won't pull the club until the group in front starts to walk off the green.

3. I take more practice swings to maintain my rhythm. For me this is very important if it was a long wait. But I'm old and YMMV. I have found that taking 2 or 3 swings without stopping at the address position helps my rhythm as well.

One of my favorite golf memories was playing an interclub scratch fourball match at my home course against really slow opponents. The super slow guy was called the "Rain Man." LOL. He would fiddle f*%& around. Unbelievable. My partner and I started poorly and they were playing good, and we were 6 down after 10. We were not happy. Then the switch was flipped and we went on a birdie run - birdied 6 of the next 7 holes - and won the match. He came unglued on #15 when I ran a longer one in for birdie. It still brings a smile to my face.

The worse case scenario is playing with someone on a tough course and he is having a bad day and not watching his own bad shots. You can get behind searching for balls and become rushed due to his troubles. This is more of an issue in qualifiers than the actual championship rounds. I've been lucky and had that situation just twice in about 25 years.

• Like 3

Fit at Totally Driven:
Titleist TS3 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

No matter how fast or slow a player is, they have to get adjusted to the pace of play in competition, as Obee says.  Everything gets more slow because a player gets more focussed and becomes aware of his playing partners, the sorroundings, etc. 

Missing shots for hitting back and forth next to the hole is a deadly sin in a tournament.  I know this guy I play with sometimes, he's been playing for like 6/7 years now and he still does that.  He misses two or three shots every round this way.  

I'm pretty anxious in general, but when you learn the rules of etiquette in golf you maybe swinging while waiting, thinking about the shot to make or quietly moaning about your luck or whatever but you do learn to wait.  A good amateur golfer is not so much someone who only plays well(there aren't that many better players LOL) but someone who understands the pace of the round when playing with other people and keep mostly quiet unless they contribute with gregarious talk at the right moment.  

• Like 1

I've felt a lot of what the OP describes. On-course anxiety and hyper-awareness of how other people are conducting themselves or managing their game. It still peeves me a little when playing behind a group that feels no pressure whatsoever to move themselves off the green when they've putted out. But over time I've accepted that this is a ME problem and it's unrealistic to expect others to work on the schedule in my brain. 

When I feel that over-awareness creeping up on me I find that it helps to look somewhere else. Watching someone and hoping they'll change is sort of psychopathic to be honest. Better to enjoy the view, hum a little tune, think about what I'm going to do later in the day. 

• Like 2

Why are you playing in the tournament if you’re going to mess around and hit it with back of putter and etc when it doesn’t go your way or you are frustrated with the pace? 

pace of play is essentially always slow to glacial in tournaments. Part of the deal. If you don’t like it you don’t have to play. If you want to play you have to learn to deal with it. Perhaps you could learn to take your time more, make good decisions and learn to grind 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, pinhigh27 said:

Why are you playing in the tournament if you’re going to mess around and hit it with back of putter and etc when it doesn’t go your way or you are frustrated with the pace? 

pace of play is essentially always slow to glacial in tournaments. Part of the deal. If you don’t like it you don’t have to play. If you want to play you have to learn to deal with it. Perhaps you could learn to take your time more, make good decisions and learn to grind 

They go in at least 51% of the time with the back of the putter.  I'll take those odds.

And I asked the question because I'm trying to learn how to deal with it.  Or at least understand that I have to consciously and actively slow myself down between shots.  As I think more about the topic, a significant reason for my *own* speed around the course during competition is that I'm simply not competitive, i.e., I'm not good at golf.  So on any given morning on the range warming up before the round, I feel great about my game and feel that I'll play a great round.  By the third hole, I'm just trying not to slow the group down because I can't even keep the ball in play.  So if I can play my shot and "get out of the way," that's what I'll do.  And I probably project that hurried mentality to everyone else.

• Haha 1

PXG Darkness Operator

On 9/21/2020 at 3:54 PM, mark m said:

Like many here, I don't care for slow play but it can happen in competitions and, as others have mentioned, you just need to make an adjustment. 

First, I am grateful that my state association has a good pace of play policy which is enforced. I see slow play most often in interclub fourball match play (where there are no officials and no enforcement of pace). I have been team Captain 4 times and would put our slow players last. It's common for other teams to do the same. But other Captains had me go last much of the time so I have learned how to adapt over the years. You need determination and discipline. Lots of good ideas already mentioned. Here are a couple of things I do when it's slow:

1. I take a little more time - because it's available - calculating and visualizing my approach shots and putts. 

2. I don't pull the club from the bag until the appropriate time. It could be slightly earlier than a fast round because of #3. You can have this same situation even in fast rounds on reachable par 5 holes.  I won't pull the club until the group in front starts to walk off the green.

3. I take more practice swings to maintain my rhythm. For me this is very important if it was a long wait. But I'm old and YMMV. I have found that taking 2 or 3 swings without stopping at the address position helps my rhythm as well.

One of my favorite golf memories was playing an interclub scratch fourball match at my home course against really slow opponents. The super slow guy was called the "Rain Man." LOL. He would fiddle f*%& around. Unbelievable. My partner and I started poorly and they were playing good, and we were 6 down after 10. We were not happy. Then the switch was flipped and we went on a birdie run - birdied 6 of the next 7 holes - and won the match. He came unglued on #15 when I ran a longer one in for birdie. It still brings a smile to my face.

The worse case scenario is playing with someone on a tough course and he is having a bad day and not watching his own bad shots. You can get behind searching for balls and become rushed due to his troubles. This is more of an issue in qualifiers than the actual championship rounds. I've been lucky and had that situation just twice in about 25 years.

These are good suggestions which I'll incorporate into the second round on Saturday.  I especially like number 2; when I have a club in my hand, I think I get even more impatient...like when you're waiting for the green to clear when going for it on a par 5...with a club in your hand, you get antsy and keep making practice swings as time seems to go by super slow....

I might try to find one of those fidget spinners that were all the rage a few years ago...just something to do with my hands between shots, as @b.helts recommended, so that I can "turn off" until it's my turn to play...

• Like 2

PXG Darkness Operator

1 hour ago, PepsiDuck said:

They go in at least 51% of the time with the back of the putter.  I'll take those odds.

And I asked the question because I'm trying to learn how to deal with it.  Or at least understand that I have to consciously and actively slow myself down between shots.  As I think more about the topic, a significant reason for my *own* speed around the course during competition is that I'm simply not competitive, i.e., I'm not good at golf.  So on any given morning on the range warming up before the round, I feel great about my game and feel that I'll play a great round.  By the third hole, I'm just trying not to slow the group down because I can't even keep the ball in play.  So if I can play my shot and "get out of the way," that's what I'll do.  And I probably project that hurried mentality to everyone else.

We've talked about this before, Kelvin, You have some anxiety, nervousness issues that need to be addressed. 

You are NOT alone in this. 

13 hours ago, PepsiDuck said:

You missed 3 tap ins with back of your putter -- and you're fine with 51% odds? Assume that was a joke. 

You entered a tournament and your primary objective was to play a fast round. You're going to lose that every time. Now it sounds like you're trying to change your primary objective to dealing with slow play. 

My 2 cents -- the problem isn't learning to deal with pace of play. The problem is your objective. Your focus should be on putting up your best score. That's it -- if it's not, maybe you shouldn't play in tournaments (not trying to be mean -- it doesn't sound like you are enjoying it). From what you shared, pace of play is more important than your score. 

There's many things you can do while you are waiting for your turn that can improve your score. Are you considering different shot options (trajectory, shot shape, club), the lie, the wind, best place to miss, visualizing the shot, etc.? Are you watching and learning from other players' shots (how elements are affecting distance, getting a read on the green when their ball lands, etc)? Do you have a pre-shot routine? From what it sounds like, you're probably not doing this -- you're just focused on how long the other guy is taking to do those things. You're definitely not focused on your best score if you are 4-putting multiple times.  If you take time to do these things, it won't seem so long while waiting your turn. 

Btw, if your group is slow and you're 4-putting and putting up the worst score in the tournament, people are not going to give you credit for trying to speed up the group anyway. 

Edited by acekun

On the tap in odds thing, I don't think any tournament competitor would take a shot with 51% odds outside of a do or die shot on 18 or dormie on match play and no other options.

I'veseen too many whiffs in the last month in competition at my course to carelessly backhand a putt.

Edited by SNIPERBBB

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

18 hours ago, Obee said:

We've talked about this before, Kelvin, You have some anxiety, nervousness issues that need to be addressed. 

You are NOT alone in this. 

It's funny...golf is the only thing in my life where some form of anxiety and nervousness manifests itself...

PXG Darkness Operator

6 hours ago, acekun said:

You missed 3 tap ins with back of your putter -- and you're fine with 51% odds? Assume that was a joke. 

You entered a tournament and your primary objective was to play a fast round. You're going to lose that every time. Now it sounds like you're trying to change your primary objective to dealing with slow play. 

My 2 cents -- the problem isn't learning to deal with pace of play. The problem is your objective. Your focus should be on putting up your best score. That's it -- if it's not, maybe you shouldn't play in tournaments (not trying to be mean -- it doesn't sound like you are enjoying it). From what you shared, pace of play is more important than your score. 

There's many things you can do while you are waiting for your turn that can improve your score. Are you considering different shot options (trajectory, shot shape, club), the lie, the wind, best place to miss, visualizing the shot, etc.? Are you watching and learning from other players' shots (how elements are affecting distance, getting a read on the green when their ball lands, etc)? Do you have a pre-shot routine? From what it sounds like, you're probably not doing this -- you're just focused on how long the other guy is taking to do those things. You're definitely not focused on your best score if you are 4-putting multiple times.  If you take time to do these things, it won't seem so long while waiting your turn. 

Btw, if your group is slow and you're 4-putting and putting up the worst score in the tournament, people are not going to give you credit for trying to speed up the group anyway. 

Well, odds are more like 75%.

And wouldn't go as far as to say that my primary objective is to play a fast round, i.e., I don't put my tee in the ground on the first hole and think to myself, let's see how fast I can play today.  I just play fast without actively thinking about it.  So when other players are going through their routine, take a practice swing, and then suddenly stop, turn around, and stare at another player wondering whose turn it is, I get a little annoyed by it.  And it's probably further aggravated when my score goes to poop right off the bat.

I do have a pre-shot routine that is probably the most consistent thing I do.  It's just that I can do most of it, to include the shot analysis and practice swinging, while others are hitting, so when it's my turn to hit, I can immediately address the ball and hit.  Are you suggesting I wait until everyone else is done playing their shot before I start my routine?

I don't need credit for speeding up the group.  Making my contribution is fulfilling enough for me.

PXG Darkness Operator

You sound like a buddy of mine who invites me to his member guest at his club every year. He gets terribly nervous...

Now I get that you being hyper aware of others and letting slow play get to you is a bit different but... my prescription remains the same. 

I make him go to the bar and do a shot and drink a beer before we tee off. 

RELAX 

• Haha 1

Some flavor of the month driver.
Some driving iron for Links courses.

A hybrid to save my bad shots.
Titleist blades when I feel lucky otherwise something more forgiving.
A Vokey wedge or 2.
I hate every one of my 17 putters.

1 hour ago, PepsiDuck said:

.  Are you suggesting I wait until everyone else is done playing their shot before I start my routine?

I don't need credit for speeding up the group.  Making my contribution is fulfilling enough for me.

I would try waiting till at least the player whose turn is last person to hit before it's your turn is about to hit.

2016 M1 9.5 tuned to 7.5
TM r15 3 wood
Adams Idea Pro 2h/4h
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind