2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Is Bryson the most disliked us open winner?

bogeypro

Just now, jholz said:

On the flip side, there are tons of super good looking swings that haven't achieved huge levels of success - Adam Scott certainly comes to mind.

Oosthuizen is another.  Love his swing.

• Like 1

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

2 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

Bomb and gouge doesn't work for everyone.  Rory for example, can bomb as he outdrove Bryson for the week, but Rory wasn't strong enough to "gouge" it out of those bad lies in the rough. You just have to take what you have that week and figure it out.

I honestly didn't watch a the first three rounds other than a couple hours Thursday but even if Bryson was 7th in distance I'm sure Wolff and him are the 2 longest out there. Bryson probably hit 3 wood on some of the measuring holes. Rory is really turning into a sour puss and seems like his always has excuses now.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

It shouldn't.  His swing works for him and his body.  That's one of the premises of The Golfing Machine.  It does what YOUR body is designed to do.  His swing won't work for anyone else.  However Cobra keeps selling One Length stuff, which is a whole different conversation.  However HIS equipment works for him.

Isn't Bryson channeling Moe Norman's setup and swing?  It looks unorthodox for sure aka not Golfing Machine.

Are all his Cobra one length irons also carbon fiber shafts versus metal? 

Until this weekend - I thought his weakness was short game and not great putter.  I was wrong.  He had great touch.  Muscled it out of the rough but was cautious i.e. less of a gambler than say Phil on his shots.  It was an amazing performance.   The course was very long and hard.

I think Wolff was able to hang in there because he is long but he was amazing out of the rough.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OrangeGravy said:

I'm just glad Wolf didn't win. No legit reason to dislike him. Sometimes you just look at someone and  instantly don't the like the cut of their jib

I think Wolf may win multiple times at regular tour events, but I've seen enough to form the opinion that he doesn't have what it takes to close out a major. Maybe he'll mature as he gets older, but he doesn't have the mental game to be able to get over that hurdle at this point.

• Like 1

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
3W: TaylorMade M5 15* (standard setting) with Oban Devotion 8 O5 at 42"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"
4i-9i: Callaway '18 Apex MB's with KBS C-Taper 130X at 1/4" long
46: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
50: Callaway JAWS MD5 10S
54: Callaway JAWS MD5 8C
58: Callaway JAWS MD5 8W
Putter: Kari Lajosi Custom DD201WB

I think the fact that Wolfe is only 21 gets forgotten sometimes and he was only playing the US Open due to qualifying through a previous major. (If I remember correct)

He's young,  hugely talented so no reason why he can't win a major or two in the future. Hopefully he will learn form Sunday and next time he's in that situation he will be in a better mental position to close it out.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, clinkinfo said:

it’s not traditionalists, many people dislike HIM as a person, it’s going nothing to do with how he plays golf.  He’s got a track record of being abusive to referees, and broadcasters.  He’s been entangled in terrible slow play issues.  And honestly, he seems to have a terrible attitude at times.   But it’s not because of how he plays golf, it’s because of his growing track record of terrible interactions that people dislike him.

100%

I was a fan -  just appreciating that he brought something different to the tour.  But the little outbursts he has had, his slow play, his 20 extra lbs of fat that he claims is all muscle, it's just gotten really old really quick.  And as unfair as it is,  I think people get tired of the media saying dumb things about him all the time -  it makes me take a negative attitude towards him,  when that really isn't his fault. 

By the way -  his putter won him this tournament.  People spend too much time talking about his poor driving.  I also get annoyed with people talking about distance while seeing drives roll out 50+ yards.        Make the fairways softer and shaggier -   add some trees 320 out.    Problem solved. 

26 minutes ago, oldhamer25 said:

So let's see the guy has finished 2nd and 4th in his first two majors as a pro at the ripe old age of 21.  Oh and he won the 2019 NCAA individual by five strokes, but let's write him off as not having "it" already.  You might be right when it is all said and done, but a little premature in my opinion.

That was an unbelievably bad take.  The kid doesn't win in his first try at a US Open, but finishes 2nd, shoots the low round for the week, and somehow we've seen enough to know he can't win a major?  There's no room for him to learn anything from finishing in the top 5 in the only to majors he's played as a pro?  Got it.

• Like 2

Tiger won his first major at 21 while this Matthew Wolff kid has only finished 2nd and 4th in his first two tries at the same age.  He clearly just doesn't have what it takes and never will.

My personal opinion is that it's the silent and unnecessary second F in his last name.  He needs to simplify things or he'll never make it on Tour.

Also, just like "fairways and greens", the game has evolved and moved beyond animals-for-names.  In the "bomb and gouge" era, it's all about initials.  BAD/BDC won because of it.

Edited by Kilo1545
  • Haha 2

This is from today's New York Post...admittedly a bit of a rag/yellow paper:

https://pagesix.com/2020/09/21/who-is-bryson-dechambeaus-girlfriend-sophia-phalen-bertolami/?_ga=2.52467752.1015487253.1600700889-208757969.1596912894

I know I'm older (55), but I grew up in NYC and was surrounded by kids with money...and most were very low key about their wealth...here we have two pictures which exist for the exclusive purpose of displaying their wealth (private jets) - I won't even get into the environmental impact, which seems important to young people unless it affects their lifestyle.

Plus...if you're going to show of your plane, make sure it's a GV or Citation X...not some puddle jumper!

3 hours ago, kmay__ said:

I don't think everyone dislikes him, I just think the people who dislike things tend to share their opinions more often. I like him, and I'm sure lots of others do as well. 

I'm one of those who likes Bryson D. He's a smart guy, and he challenges conventional wisdom with his methodical approach to the game.

Those who talk down on Byrson D. may feel jealous because he got good grades in physics class.

• Like 1

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

It didn't bother me as none of the couple guys in contention Sunday are my favorites.  Most were Americans so I pull for the home team. No reason to hate Bryson however.  He earned some respect from me when after the win he spoke with his parents and showed what a good family person he is.  Hopefully Patrick Reed watched and learned to let go of some of the anger in his heart.  Life's too short to carry negative baggage.  

• Like 1

Depends who you ask. I personally like him and never met the guy. I like how he has a different approach to the game but shows that it can be successful with the right player. Like others have said, there can be reason not to like somebody. All we can do is comment on what we are fed on television. Interesting how there is a dislike for Brooks but the players who play with him say he is a cool dude. The same can probably be said about Bryson.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

5 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I am a big fan of Bryson but there is so much of this brainiac stuff that needs to stop. He is not the smartest person in every room he is in. He is a very analytical player but not some super genius.. 

Since you obviously have a strong opinion about what I said, can you point out where I said he was the smartest person in every room or a super genius?

The theme of my post was "different", not "better", "worse", "smartest."  I simply commented on how he thinks "differently" than a lot of people and how that tugs on the way he interacts socially, sometimes causing friction.  I know this from 40+ years of experience seeing it firsthand.

Edited by Kilo1545
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, tbowles411 said:

I can tell you from people that actually know him.  He's been told for a long time, "You can't play golf that way."  The Golfing Machine theory was the first.  Then came the am success.  Then the single length stuff.  That works for HIM, not anyone else because it's none traditional. Then the body transformation because he wanted to protect himself from injury in bulking up.  The dirty little secret it's also the Golfing Machine was of swinging the club which stays inside what the body is already designed to do (Physics basically) that is also helping him protect his back.  He started breaking down and realized that he needed more mass and we frankly even had doubts, but thus far it's working.  He was able to muscle the ball out of some pretty gnarly lies, but he was smart in how he played his shots.  Under par on the final day, are you kidding me?  He played smartly, took his medicine and saved par a ton.  It was impressive.

I have to say I like your comment, even though I don't particularly like Bryson.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

1 hour ago, Philomathesq said:

I think Wolf may win multiple times at regular tour events, but I've seen enough to form the opinion that he doesn't have what it takes to close out a major. Maybe he'll mature as he gets older, but he doesn't have the mental game to be able to get over that hurdle at this point.

Would you have said the same thing about Tom Watson after the 1974 US Open at Winged Foot?

Or maybe you just don't like the cut of his jib. ?

Edited by gvogel
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

8 minutes ago, fawley said:

That was an unbelievably bad take.  The kid doesn't win in his first try at a US Open, but finishes 2nd, shoots the low round for the week, and somehow we've seen enough to know he can't win a major?  There's no room for him to learn anything from finishing in the top 5 in the only to majors he's played as a pro?  Got it.

I disagree. For me, it's a body language thing and it's a maturity thing. He looked like a fish out of water Sunday, and every time he hit a "bad" shot, he blamed it on something other than himself. Sure, he's only floundered in one major, but its the way he floundered, not the fact that he did. I'd have a totally different opinion if he went out, shot a +5, but looked like he was grinding the whole time. But, that's not what happened, at least not to my eyes.

Of the top ten players (by score) heading into Sunday, only Matsuyama shot a higher score than Wolff. Wolff could go on to win in the majors, but he won't be able to do it with the mental game he has now. He's 21, so he may mature and get over his immaturity. But unless and until he does, he won't win a major.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 8* (standard setting) with MCA Tensei AV Raw Orange 75TX at 44.5"
Hybrid: PXG Gen 2 0317X 19* (standard setting) with Oban Kiyoshi Purple Hybrid O5 at 39.5"

9 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

Since you obviously have a strong opinion about what I said, can you point out where I said he was the smartest person in every room or a super genius?

The theme of my post was "different", not "better", "worse", "smartest."  I simply commented on how he thinks "differently" than a lot of people and how that tugs on the way he interacts socially, sometimes causing friction.  I know this from 40+ years of experience seeing it firsthand.

Was not commenting towards your post per say. Just the idea of him being super duper smart is all. Not an attack on you directly. I just get a little tired of the physics major stuff. Especially since he was just a "declared" physics major. Never actually graduated etc etc.. 

I am sure he is bright guy. He for sure does things differently. Those are qualities I like. I think he is just awkward in interviews. He wants to come off as intelligent but just ends up using phrases wrong and comes off badly at times. 

I think he really really wants to be one of the cool kids but has not figured out how to do it yet.. 

Again, I am a big fan. 

• Like 4

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

15 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I am a big fan of Bryson but there is so much of this brainiac stuff that needs to stop. He is not the smartest person in every room he is in. He is a very analytical player but not some super genius.. 

Thank you.     Goodnight,  the level of some of these post.   Bryson is playing 8D chess,  he thinks 25 steps ahead.      Give me a break.    Everything about Bryson strikes me as someone that thinks he is smart, but really isn't. 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I agree.  He is what I call an omnologist.  He thinks that he knows everything about everything, when in fact he knows a little.

Really smart people never brag about their knowledge.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, gvogel said:

Would you have said the same thing about Tom Watson after the 1974 US Open at Winged Foot?

Or maybe you just don't like the cut of his jib. ?

I've never watched the '74 US Open, so I can't answer. But, as I said above, it's not Wolff's +5 that helped form my opinion, but the way in which he played the round and his reaction to "bad" shots. He looked like he didn't have the mental fortitude to buckle down when the going got tough. Also, and this is definitely a personal issue for me, but he seemed way to complacent during his post-round interview. He didn't seem like someone who just lost a U.S. Open. Lots of "I did my best," "It just wasn't meant to be," "little tiny breaks I didn't get," Bryson got better breaks than I did, etc. That's not a winner's mentality to me, but I'm just some keyboard warrior spouting his words all over the internet. Don't forget that. ?

3 minutes ago, gvogel said:

I agree.  He is what I call an omnologist.  He thinks that he knows everything about everything, when in fact he knows a little.

Really smart people never brag about their knowledge.

I have met a couple really smart people that brag.. The smartest guy I know really likes to tell people how much smarter he is than everyone. I am not one of those really smart people... Haha. 

• Haha 1

BALL; Chrome Soft X

6 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Was not commenting towards your post per say. Just the idea of him being super duper smart is all. Not an attack on you directly. I just get a little tired of the physics major stuff. Especially since he was just a "declared" physics major. Never actually graduated etc etc.. 

I am sure he is bright guy. He for sure does things differently. Those are qualities I like. I think he is just awkward in interviews. He wants to come off as intelligent but just ends up using phrases wrong and comes off badly at times. 

I think he really really wants to be one of the cool kids but has not figured out how to do it yet.. 

Again, I am a big fan. 

?  When I say he's 9 levels deep while others are on the surface, it's not because he's smarter than they are or they're not capable of going there.  It's that they don't care to go that deep.  It's usually not necessary, so it's not how they function.  They're "normal."  For guys like DeChambeau, it's probably not a choice.  His brain works that way and probably doesn't ever stop, so he just winds up there.  If we're being honest, once people like that realize they're different, they usually wish they weren't and would rather be "normal" like everyone else.

He'll eventually figure out that while he's been that way his whole life and it seems normal to him, he's actually the outlier.  I guarantee you he has a lot of awkward interactions where he leaves genuinely confused why he rubbed someone the wrong way, or wondering why they were giving him that "WTF are you talking about look?" because, in his mind, everyone's in the weeds like he is.  Reality is they aren't, but he doesn't know it.

He's in his 20's.  It takes people like that awhile to figure out how to adapt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

?  When I say he's 9 levels deep while others are on the surface, it's not because he's smarter than they are or they're not capable of going there.  It's that they don't care to go that deep.  It's usually not necessary, so it's not how they function.  They're "normal."  For guys like DeChambeau, it's probably not a choice.  His brain works that way and probably doesn't ever stop, so he just winds up there.  If we're being honest, once people like that realize they're different, they usually wish they weren't and would rather be "normal" like everyone else.

He'll eventually figure out that while he's been that way his whole life and it seems normal to him, he's actually the outlier.  I guarantee you he has a lot of awkward interactions where he leaves genuinely confused why he rubbed someone the wrong way, or wondering why they were giving him that "WTF are you talking about look?" because, in his mind, everyone's in the weeds like he is.  Reality is they aren't, but he doesn't know it.

He's in his 20's.  It takes people like that awhile to figure out how to adapt.

Lots of speculation in there. But sounds interesting. 

BALL; Chrome Soft X

14 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

people hated Jack when he beat Arnie at Oakmont

Johnny Miller?

On another website some 20-somethings got into a big debate over whether Ben Hogan was a nice guy. Uhhh... none of these guys every met Ben Hogan. He was a bit aloof, in part because his physical situation after he survived the near-fatal auto accident in 1949. In order to be loose enough to play a round of golf, Hogan had to soak in a hot tub for a half-hour to be loosen up. 

Johnny Miller ruffled feathers mainly after he became an announcer. He said things that others were thinking... but were afraid to say.

As for Nicklaus vs. Palmer, part of this has to do with clash of social class. Arnie was the son of a golf pro and greenskeeper, whereas Jack was the son of a prominent Ohio amateur golfer and pharmacist. This came at a time when Palmer helped expand golf's reach into the middle class.

Also, Nicklaus was simply not as gregarious as Palmer.

Years ago, I served as forecaddie at Old Warson CC (St.  Louis) in an exhibition match between Nicklaus and English star Tony Jacklyn. Nicklaus showed up, made small talk with the club principals, hit a few practice shots and went to the first tee. Once he teed his ball and stood up, he was in the Golf Zone. He was never curt or unfriendly, but he was clearly in the zone to play golf. Not much small talk, tremendous focus.

Not everyone has to be an Arnie or a Lee Trevino.

Edited by ChipNRun

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |