Is Bryson the most disliked us open winner?

bogeypro

35 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

Lots of speculation in there. But sounds interesting. 

Of course it's speculation, since I don't know Bryson DeChambeau.  You know who I do know though?  Me.  ? ?

I'll give you an example:

"What time should we leave?" is generally answered with "Around 12" and everybody's happy.

For guys like DeChambeau (if my assumption is correct), it's processed like this:

-We need to be there no later than 1230

-It takes 25 minutes to get there, so we need to leave at exactly 1159 to give ourselves a 6 minute cushion in case we catch that red light on Beltline Rd.  That light makes no sense.  It holds you at a red light when there's literally no cross-traffic and then turns green for you when all the cross traffic finally arrives to the intersection.  It's set up backwards and inefficient, and I wonder if the people down at Traffic Control know it's all jacked up.

-If we're leaving at 1200, then I need to shave/shower at 1130, which means I need to be finished eating by 1100 so I can feed the dogs and let them out.

-If I'm eating a late breakfast of bacon/eggs, then I need to start making breakfast at 1015.  If I'm going with a sandwich, then I can wait until 1040.  Check that.  Make it 1035 if I want the bread toasted.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-And...now we're 9 levels deep...

That's a perfectly normal thought process for him.  Those details matter.  That precision matters.  Nobody else gives a sh*t (a lot of people stop with the bolded part), but he doesn't realize it yet because the only brain he's ever lived with is his own.

Everyone else COULD think like that if they wanted to (he's not any smarter than they are), they just don't because it's not a normal thing for them to care about.

It's a brain function thing that is often confused with a personality thing or a reflection of character.

His obligation is to recognize it, learn from it, and pay careful attention to how it affects his interpersonal skills.  The people who see it for what it is probably experience a much better version of him than those who don't.

Edited by Kilo1545
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

Of course it's speculation, since I don't know Bryson DeChambeau.  You know who I do know though?  Me.  ? ?

"What time should we leave?" is generally answered with "Around 12" and everybody's happy.

For guys like DeChambeau (if my assumption is correct), it's processed like this:

-It takes 25 minutes to get there, so we need to leave at exactly 1159 to give ourselves a 6 minute cushion in case we catch that red light on Beltline Rd.  That light makes no sense.  It holds you at a red light when there's literally no cross-traffic and then turns green for you when all the cross traffic finally arrives to the intersection.  It's set up backwards and inefficient, and I wonder if the people down at Traffic Control know it's all jacked up.

-If we're leaving at 1200, then I need to shave/shower at 1130, which means I need to be finished eating by 1100.

-If I'm eating a late breakfast of bacon/eggs, then I need to start making breakfast at 1015.  If I'm going with a sandwich, then I can wait until 1040.  Check that.  Make it 1035 if I want the bread toasted.

-Etc.

-Etc.

That's a perfectly normal thought process for him.  Those details matter.  That precision matters.  Nobody else gives a sh*t, but he doesn't realize it yet because the only brain he's ever lived with is his own.

Everyone else COULD think like that if they wanted to (he's not any smarter than they are), they just don't because it's not a normal thing for them to care about.

It's a brain function thing that is often confused with a personality thing or a reflection of character.

His obligation is to recognize it, learn from it, and pay careful attention to how it affects his interpersonal skills.  The people who see it for what it is probably experience a much better version of him than those who don't.

I am not sure I see him as obsessive either. Analytical yes, obsessive no.. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

8 minutes ago, avrag said:

I think that most of the hate comes from people who hate intelligent and well-educated people. He is a smart guy and not afraid to show it. 

On the other hand, being really dumb and not afraid to show it is really popular in our day and age.

Sad but absolutely true

The guys that hate on Bryson probably love the John Daly approach

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I am not sure I see him as obsessive either. Analytical yes, obsessive no.. 

I wouldn't call it obsessive.  Obsessive would be if the details matter because of an emotional attachment to them.  They matter to him because that's the way his brain processes it.  It's a difference in the level of granularity of the thought process, not an emotional thing.

I'd also be willing to bet that he probably doesn't beat around the bush much when answering questions or making statements.  He just spits out facts/details, because that's what's in his head, and comes off like a jerk in the process.  Like I said, brain function and not a personality/character thing.  I'm not excusing it though - it's his responsibility to recognize it and mold his behavior a little.

**I could be wrong and he might just be an arrogant *****.  I don't know the guy.  I'm just giving my take on it, based on my experience with myself.

• Like 2

I'd also challenge what we use as a criteria to determine whether or not someone is good/bad, likable/unlikable.  Usually, it's a single criterion - "how do they make me feel?" - and we ignore all other criteria that maybe we should be considering.

Who's the "better" person?

The guy who wins the tournament and says the usual gracious "Everyone played great out there.  I just got a few more breaks than the other guy and I'm fortunate to get the win", then on his way home, passes someone stranded on the side of the road and doesn't stop to help because that's not his problem...

...or...

The guy who robotically/autistically says, "I played better than the other guy so I won", then on his way home, stops to help the stranded person, offers them a ride and $20 for gas, and then helps them get on their way?

• Like 2

Not sure anyone has mentioned this yet, but...

Bryson games the most upright clubs a pro has ever played.

Perhaps this gave him an advantage out of the rough.

Combined with his amazing—and amazingly consistent—carry numbers, this may indeed have granted him an advantage over the field.

As far as likability goes, I find Bryson fascinating. He doesn't have that magnetic charisma (Magic Johnson), the "reliable assassin" gene (Michael Jordan), or the hero story (Tiger), but he has certainly brought some freshness to a game that's often criticized as "stale."

In my view, the "Broadway play" of golf is better for having a character like Bryson in it.

• Like 2

Callaway Fusion 9º •• Matrix 75M4 X
TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65X
Callaway Apex 20º •• PX Evenflow Black 80HY X
Adams CMB 24º–46º •• DG TI S400
TM MG 50º •• PX LZ 5.5
TM MG 54º •• DG S200
Mizuno T20 60º/06º •• DG S400
Toulon Atlanta 35"

It's the announcer portrayal of him that turns me off... is he smart? i don't know, but they all talk about him like he's going to win the Nobel Prize in physics

Is he big? yes, but he's nowhere near a middle linebacker or full back like I hear multiple times this week

Does he bomb it? Absolutely, but so do a handful of other guys, so stop fawning over every tee shot

And I'd rather listen to the Tiger fan boys than the BDC fan boys

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Ventus Black 8-X

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

4 hours ago, FakeClubPro said:

Isn't Bryson channeling Moe Norman's setup and swing?  It looks unorthodox for sure aka not Golfing Machine.

It's TGM, not a Norman single plane.  It's the way he's figured out how to come into the ball that is not only efficient for him and gets every bit of power out of the club he's using.  There's a saying in the TGM world, "All roads lead back to TGM."  LOL

• Like 2

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

38 minutes ago, jwhite86 said:

It's the announcer portrayal of him that turns me off... is he smart? i don't know, but they all talk about him like he's going to win the Nobel Prize in physics

Is he big? yes, but he's nowhere near a middle linebacker or full back like I hear multiple times this week

Does he bomb it? Absolutely, but so do a handful of other guys, so stop fawning over every tee shot

And I'd rather listen to the Tiger fan boys than the BDC fan boys

When Phil gives him credit for learning things from him...I give him credit for being pretty smart. 

The announcers need something new to talk about because nobody but Bryson is doing anything really interesting so I get it..I definitely agree they go over the top most of the time just like with Tiger. 

No way would I rather hear Tiger’s fan boys..there’s way too many of those even thou he has definitely earned them. He’s not even close to the same golfer now so it’s kinda sad to hear everyone hyping him up when obviously he had very little chance this week due to his driving capabilities. 

I don’t dislike him but I also didn’t watch any of the final round after Rory went +3 on the first 4 holes.  He’s using the advances in science and technology to win golf tournaments..very smart to do so. But as Rory eluded to..what’s the end game?  Everyone on tour in 15 years having minimum swing speed of 130, having a similar stature of Tony Finau, and playing on 8000 yard courses.  With ever increasing population and rising real estate prices to go along with that how much longer till simulator pga tour? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

It's TGM, not a Norman single plane.  It's the way he's figured out how to come into the ball that is not only efficient for him and gets every bit of power out of the club he's using.  There's a saying in the TGM world, "All roads lead back to TGM."  LOL

What is TGM?   Stack & Tilt?   Not sure what TGM? ?

1 hour ago, miamistomp said:

Sad but absolutely true

The guys that hate on Bryson probably love the John Daly approach

A little unfair to Daly and I like both players.  John was incredibly talented.  Even people like Tiger said so.  He just did not have all the mental skills and focus to stay in the PGA.  Wine women and song have hurt many men.   If Daly had the focus and discipline of a Tiger, Phil or others - he would have had an amazing career.    It is not easy to be a top player in stay on top on the tour.

"I think that most of the hate comes from people who hate intelligent and well-educated people. He is a smart guy and not afraid to show it. 

On the other hand, being really dumb and not afraid to show it is really popular in our day and age."

I'd say it was a popular trend 2020.....People now wear dumbness like badge of honor.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, FakeClubPro said:

What is TGM?   Stack & Tilt?   Not sure what TGM? ?

The Golf Machine.  A book by Homer Kelly, and a bunch of followers who thought teaching it was the only way.  Ben Doyle taught Bobby Clampett TGM.  And more.

• Like 1
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

30 minutes ago, gvogel said:

The Golf Machine.  A book by Homer Kelly, and a bunch of followers who thought teaching it was the only way.  Ben Doyle taught Bobby Clampett TGM.  And more.

It's physics based to get the body moving the way it's designed to.  It's not only more efficient, but can also help prevent injury.  Bryson has played using this theory since he was an amateur.  It's not the only way to learn the golf swing, but a lot of instructors teach it, but few are certified in it.  However, his instructor Mike Schy is a certified master instructor and an all round nice guy.  He's been with Bryson for a really long time.

It's all science-y and stuff.  He likes that!  LOL  But it's solid.  Some thinks it's crap, but I've seen it work in a lot of folks, including juniors and older players.  It takes what you can do and adjusts for the player, not the "method."  Pretty cool actually.

Edited by tbowles411
  • Like 2

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

3 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

-If we're leaving at 1200, then I need to shave/shower at 1130, which means I need to be finished eating by 1100 so I can feed the dogs and let them out.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-Etc.

-And...now we're 9 levels deep...

That's a perfectly normal thought process for him.  Those details matter.  That precision matters.  Nobody else gives a sh*t (a lot of people stop with the bolded part), but he doesn't realize it yet because the only brain he's ever lived with is his own.

I didn't read all that, but oh, the time working on that someone will never get back.

What a ridiculous thread. I know I'm coming around on Bryson. Once it became obvious Justin or Rory were not going to win I started rooting for Bryson. He seems like a decent guy and I think he has matured some. I'm glad he won. For the haters he is nowhere near anything like Patrick Reed. He is certainly changing the game. Not sure if I'm just getting older or just not that interested in the game as much as the way they kill the ball. I just don't care. They made the decision long ago to let them hit it a mile so I say bring on the 700 yard drives evenif it means most classic courses are toast. The players are doing what they should to win and what else can we expect? Looking forward to Augusta. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

Not an attack on you directly. I just get a little tired of the physics major stuff. Especially since he was just a "declared" physics major. Never actually graduated etc etc.. 

... I think he is just awkward in interviews. He wants to come off as intelligent but just ends up using phrases wrong and comes off badly at times. 

You may want to reconsider why he "never graduated". In 2015, he won the NCAA individual championship. He skipped his senior to turn pro because SMU athletics received a no post-season penalty for 2016 sports.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/ncaa-bans-smu-postseason-play-violations/

He would not have been academically eligible to compete if he was not making good progress towards degree. Plus, his analysis of the golf swing and his productivity with it shows he can apply math and physics to real life.

As for interviews, it might be awkward trying to explain science concepts without charts and drawings.

4 hours ago, QuigleyDU said:

I think he really really wants to be one of the cool kids but has not figured out how to do it yet.. 

Once you win the US Open, you redefine who the "cool kids" are. ?

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

7 hours ago, dlygrisse said:

The only thing that really bothered me about him was the “don’t ruin my brand” comment he made to the camera operator. That’s on you bro, not the guy doing his job for way less than you earn. Other than that I find his quirkiness interesting, it’s nice to see some differentiation between the players out there. Makes things more interesting 

Agree with this, I'm sure given the chance, he'd take a mulligan on that.   The other thing people point to is the fence ruling he didn't get at the Memorial/or workday, I forget which week it was.   But he was fighting for a ruling, just like you see guys do every week on tour, they will use the rule to their advantage if they can.   He didn't get the ruling, but I didn't see him being abusive to the referee.   And I know  some media and tour caddies that are out on the tour full time and haven't heard anything negative from them. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

6 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

You may want to reconsider why he "never graduated". In 2015, he won the NCAA individual championship. He skipped his senior to turn pro because SMU athletics received a no post-season penalty for 2016 sports.

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/golf-central-blog/ncaa-bans-smu-postseason-play-violations/

He would not have been academically eligible to compete if he was not making good progress towards degree. Plus, his analysis of the golf swing and his productivity with it shows he can apply math and physics to real life.

As for interviews, it might be awkward trying to explain science concepts without charts and drawings.

Once you win the US Open, you redefine who the "cool kids" are. ?

I know why he didnt graduate. It is the same reason most pro athletes don't graduate. "Making progress" is debatable. He declared a major whether he actually took any courses towards that major I have no idea. But as a collage athlete I know you do not have to be taking courses towards your major to be eligible. You just have to be passing the courses you are taking.. 

The point is, declaring a major does not make you smart or a scientist.. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

7 minutes ago, Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Agree with this, I'm sure given the chance, he'd take a mulligan on that.   The other thing people point to is the fence ruling he didn't get at the Memorial/or workday, I forget which week it was.   But he was fighting for a ruling, just like you see guys do every week on tour, they will use the rule to their advantage if they can.   He didn't get the ruling, but I didn't see him being abusive to the referee.   And I know  some media and tour caddies that are out on the tour full time and haven't heard anything negative from them. 

TV can make a liar out of anyone and show them in a different light.  Positive or negative and we know what sells...

• Like 2

Dislike ... I don't believe as many pros dislike other players as is talked about on this board.  I might not like something someone does or conflict with what he/she said, but disliking someone over a disagreement is not how I was taught.  NOBODY is perfect and only children tend to overreact because their panties are riding up.  Probably why many of my friendships are over fifty years old.

Edited by Pepperturbo
  • TSR2 9.25° Ventus Velo TR Blue 58
  • TSR2 15° AD VF 74
  • T200 17 2i° Tensei AV Raw White Hybrid 90
  • T100 3i to 9i MMT 105
  • T100 PW, SM9 F52/12, M58/8, PX Wedge 6.0 120
  • SC/CA Monterey
  • DASH -ProV1x & AVX

22 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

I didn't read all that, but oh, the time working on that someone will never get back.

Sorry, the next time I'm working from home and have lag time waiting on other people, but not enough time to actually switch gears and do anything else, I'll check with you to see if the 5 minutes it takes to type out a post would be better spent some other way.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Kilo1545 said:

Sorry, the next time I'm working from home and have lag time waiting on other people, but not enough time to actually switch gears and do anything else, I'll check with you to see if the 5 minutes it takes to type out a post would be better spent some other way.  

If it takes 5 minutes to type a post, anything thing else would be better - just saved you the time involved in checking!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

I know why he didnt graduate. It is the same reason most pro athletes don't graduate. "Making progress" is debatable. He declared a major whether he actually took any courses towards that major I have no idea. But as a collage athlete I know you do not have to be taking courses towards your major to be eligible. You just have to be passing the courses you are taking.. 

The point is, declaring a major does not make you smart or a scientist.. 

Well I like that he does constantly ask if there is a better way and tries to find the answer.    He questions the orthodox method and he is curious which is a good thing.

As far as I know unless it is a joke college - you cannot just say I am going to take physics.

Kudos to Matthew Wolff for going back to his alma mater (U of Ok?) and raising money for the golf team.  This was the week before the US Open.  Did he finish college or leave early to join the tour?

• Like 1