Getting back into the game...I "should" be better

RoyalMustang

Ok, so I have been out for over 2 decades but have been back on the course or in the practice area pretty much every day for the past 2 months.  I haven't improved a lick since then.  Consistency is a huge issue; I had 7 penalty balls today. Numerous skulled chips.  Just dumb stuff and stuff that I can't seem to control (such as my driver).  

Here is the thing though: I have a nice swing.  I hit a 4-wood off the tee and it went 280.  I hit a 5-iron in from 200 and was putting for a 12-foot birdie. I hit a 4-iron from 220 and was putting for a 15-foot birdie (both full carry distance).  I am not the typical guy who is scoring 95.  I have had a couple of lessons and my coach really likes my swing and thinks I am on the cusp of playing really good golf.  Maybe I always will be.  I just can't put it together though: that was my problem when I played competitively as a 13-14 year old.  I would shoot a 76 one round and a 91 on the next.  My swing is on or it is way off; my misses are bad.  

I had hoped, being 2 decades wiser, that I would be smarter and be able to dial in my swing to eliminate the mistakes.  I am certainly stronger but I haven't gone anywhere the past 2 months: I doubt I broke 100 today as I stopped counting.  

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I can go to the range (as I did after my round tonight) and hit perfectly placed 170yd 8-irons within 12 feet of where I am aiming, yet I get on the course and swing too fast-too hard-out of balance-get distracted.  Maybe it is completely mental and I just need to relax and zone out.  

It would be easier if I didn't have those shots where my playing partners said "wow, I can't believe you just hit that shot!" when the rest of the time I completely suck.  

Disconnect your progress from your score. 

Go out with a goal that is not score based: hit every shot as low as you can be successful with. 

Hit one less club that is necessary on every iron shot. 

Make sure you take a deep breath before every shot. 

Whatever. It doesn’t matter really, just pick something and focus on that for the whole round. And go easy on yourself. It’s hard to go out for 4 hours and perform well for 4 hours. Give it time. 

1 minute ago, Dawgdude said:

Ok, so I have been out for over 2 decades but have been back on the course or in the practice area pretty much every day for the past 2 months.  I haven't improved a lick since then.  Consistency is a huge issue; I had 7 penalty balls today. Numerous skulled chips.  Just dumb stuff and stuff that I can't seem to control (such as my driver).  

Here is the thing though: I have a nice swing.  I hit a 4-wood off the tee and it went 280.  I hit a 5-iron in from 200 and was putting for a 12-foot birdie. I hit a 4-iron from 220 and was putting for a 15-foot birdie (both full carry distance).  I am not the typical guy who is scoring 95.  I have had a couple of lessons and my coach really likes my swing and thinks I am on the cusp of playing really good golf.  Maybe I always will be.  I just can't put it together though: that was my problem when I played competitively as a 13-14 year old.  I would shoot a 76 one round and a 91 on the next.  My swing is on or it is way off; my misses are bad.  

I had hoped, being 2 decades wiser, that I would be smarter and be able to dial in my swing to eliminate the mistakes.  I am certainly stronger but I haven't gone anywhere the past 2 months: I doubt I broke 100 today as I stopped counting.  

Has anyone else dealt with this issue? I can go to the range (as I did after my round tonight) and hit perfectly placed 170yd 8-irons within 12 feet of where I am aiming, yet I get on the course and swing too fast-too hard-out of balance-get distracted.  Maybe it is completely mental and I just need to relax and zone out.  

It would be easier if I didn't have those shots where my playing partners said "wow, I can't believe you just hit that shot!" when the rest of the time I completely suck.  

Fellow later 30s player here who just got back to player a year ago after many years off.  

The largest takeaway I can tell you is stop thinking about scoring and comparing your game today to the game you had - golf isn’t like riding a bike to play it at a very very high level.  

I too can bomb it. I can hit tour quality golf shots.  I can also double a par 4 yesterday (and worked for it/no penalty shots) and look like a 30 handicap and then proceeded to Eagle the next hole with a driver 6 iron to five feet on a 510 yard par 5.  Zero to hero - not consistent.  

You have to really embrace that you’re “relearning” the game - you didn’t just pick up where you left off.  Alone with that I also think about “awakening”.  You start playing and practicing and you’re remember things about how to play and practice - random little things - the things only people who have played the game at a real high level understand.  You’ll only remember that if you approach this next chapter in golf with the mindset that you aren’t as practiced as you were and you’re figuring it out again. 

Remember being younger and making a swing change, getting worse for a while, then getting better - and then doing it again?   It’s the same thing now.  Once you score well and start working on your swing - you’ll regress again (which is the state I’m currently in).   At first I kind of freaked out like “wtf - I thought I just started playing some decent golf again??” Or “maybe I just can’t do this any more the way I want to” and then I realized it was a process before and it will be a process again. 

You, like me, may have needed a reminder to enjoy the process again - and we both know that process takes longer than a few months.   Just go play - and treat it like you’re figuring it out again. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HackDaddy360 said:

Fellow later 30s player here who just got back to player a year ago after many years off.  

The largest takeaway I can tell you is stop thinking about scoring and comparing your game today to the game you had - golf isn’t like riding a bike to play it at a very very high level.  

I too can bomb it. I can hit tour quality golf shots.  I can also double a par 4 yesterday (and worked for it/no penalty shots) and look like a 30 handicap and then proceeded to Eagle the next hole with a driver 6 iron to five feet on a 510 yard par 5.  Zero to hero - not consistent.  

You have to really embrace that you’re “relearning” the game - you didn’t just pick up where you left off.  Alone with that I also think about “awakening”.  You start playing and practicing and you’re remember things about how to play and practice - random little things - the things only people who have played the game at a real high level understand.  You’ll only remember that if you approach this next chapter in golf with the mindset that you aren’t as practiced as you were and you’re figuring it out again. 

Remember being younger and making a swing change, getting worse for a while, then getting better - and then doing it again?   It’s the same thing now.  Once you score well and start working on your swing - you’ll regress again (which is the state I’m currently in).   At first I kind of freaked out like “wtf - I thought I just started playing some decent golf again??” Or “maybe I just can’t do this any more the way I want to” and then I realized it was a process before and it will be a process again. 

You, like me, may have needed a reminder to enjoy the process again - and we both know that process takes longer than a few months.   Just go play - and treat it like you’re figuring it out again. 

Thanks!  That goes well with my experiences so far.  Swing changes....yeah.  My swing probably needed some updates as I am far more powerful than I was as a kid but less flexible.  And, like you, I had just shot my best round (83 with 12 GIR, so lots of promise) when I had my first lesson. I have been very inconsistent since then.  

It was always a process, but as a kid, the outlook was different. My time is more limited now and I have responsibilities; I want to be committed to improve and put things together.   I will be out of grad school this spring and likely taking on a very demanding job, so the next 6 months is really the time I have to hone my game; after that, it will maintenance and possible regression.  I view golf similar to skiing at a high level: mastering the arc and pressure required of a certain turn and really being fluid takes 20 days a year on the snow, minimum, for a good athlete. 40 days if not a good athlete.  To pressure the skis nearly perfectly just takes timing and rhythm: people who ski 10 days a year just can't operate at that level, even if they were at that level in the past.  The top skiers (talking older skiers here, the ones still fluidly arcing out short turns and using the energy and dynamics created by the skis) who are akin to 50-year old scratch handicaps are on the snow 120 days a year. 

Relaxing is a huge thing for me.  Rushing shots means skilled pitches around the green and poor swings everywhere else.  Just take my time and make a good swing-I have to remember that. 

I suppose I thought the process wouldn't take more than a few months!  My coach seems to be more optimistic than I am, but I appreciate the words.   

3 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

How many, not how far.  You really do seem all about how far. Get your coach out for a playing lesson, analyze your short game and putting as well (noticeably absent from your analysis). 

Actually, putting has been pretty solid.  I had 34 putts yesterday.  Short game isn't bad either: I spend time around the greens working on soft hands and pitches; both areas are good enough at this point as not to do damage.  

I do have a coach I am working with: he has tweaked my swing quite a bit. I have introduced more club lag; when timed right, the ball comes off the clubhead perfectly.  My swing is a lot more upright now and I am reducing hand movement.  AOA is steep though, even steeper than it used to be for me, which means that if my weight distribution is off, I get a huge divot and 50-yard fat shot. We are going to work on a driver next, as I can't hit a driver with that swing.  

I really don't care if I hit that 8 iron 160 or 170 or whatever: When I hit the ball squarely, it goes 170.  Just what it is; these aren't "hard" swings.  As my coach said of my iron work: you make the swing look easy (when done well)-your power comes from your lower body.  But I have to fix the "wow, I just hit my divot further than the ball" or "my driver just went into the trees for the 6th time today" swings.  I can always just put the driver away and hit the 3-wood I suppose for now....when I was a kid, I certainly made mistakes, but following up an eagle opportunity on a par 5 with a drive I hit off of the hosel is kinda new for me.  I suppose I don't understand the variation that I now have but  didn't have before.  

Like Hackdaddy said, its about the process and the process starts with your preshot routine (PSR). From the time you select the club from the bag to the time you trigger your swing it should always be the same. It doesn't have to take a long time or anything extravagant, just do it each and every shot, including the putt. This is where a coach can really help you. From your original post it appears the physical skills are there. Take the time to work on the mental side and the PSR is a large part of that. 

The answer to better golf is work your butt off and learn how to hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

13 minutes ago, nitram said:

Like Hackdaddy said, its about the process and the process starts with your preshot routine (PSR). From the time you select the club from the bag to the time you trigger your swing it should always be the same. It doesn't have to take a long time or anything extravagant, just do it each and every shot, including the putt. This is where a coach can really help you. From your original post it appears the physical skills are there. Take the time to work on the mental side and the PSR is a large part of that. 

Ah, thanks!  I see your handle: lots of good golf in Oklahoma (I was a full schollie distance runner at OSU-no time for golf, but I wish I did have the time)

To me, golf will always be a journey and never a destination. We steadily improve, reach a plateau, seem to be stuck there for a while, then we see more improvement, hit another plateau, get stuck for a while, etc. All we can do is keep plugging away. 

For example, Jordan Spieth said the following: “There’s a lot that’s off. I’m not really sure. If I knew, I’d fix it. So I’m kind of just working through it and looking forward to having a little more time to figure it out. I’m late behind it. The second I try to get out in front, it’s hooking. Standing on a tee at the US Open and not exactly knowing where the ball is going to go is not a great feeling."

If a player of his caliber is going through something like this, where does that leave the rest of us? lol 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Dawgdude said:

Actually, putting has been pretty solid.  I had 34 putts yesterday.  Short game isn't bad either: I spend time around the greens working on soft hands and pitches; both areas are good enough at this point as not to do damage.  

I do have a coach I am working with: he has tweaked my swing quite a bit. I have introduced more club lag; when timed right, the ball comes off the clubhead perfectly.  My swing is a lot more upright now and I am reducing hand movement.  AOA is steep though, even steeper than it used to be for me, which means that if my weight distribution is off, I get a huge divot and 50-yard fat shot. We are going to work on a driver next, as I can't hit a driver with that swing.  

I really don't care if I hit that 8 iron 160 or 170 or whatever: When I hit the ball squarely, it goes 170.  Just what it is; these aren't "hard" swings.  As my coach said of my iron work: you make the swing look easy (when done well)-your power comes from your lower body.  But I have to fix the "wow, I just hit my divot further than the ball" or "my driver just went into the trees for the 6th time today" swings.  I can always just put the driver away and hit the 3-wood I suppose for now....when I was a kid, I certainly made mistakes, but following up an eagle opportunity on a par 5 with a drive I hit off of the hosel is kinda new for me.  I suppose I don't understand the variation that I now have but  didn't have before.  

Easiest way to understand the variation is simply time spent/balls hit and expectations, in my mind. 

You sound like you’re where I was 4 months ago.  It all got better when I realized I’m not the player I used to be - and that’s not a bad thing.  I’m stronger, have more shots in the bag and more experience thinking about things in general.  Im also not a kid so I shouldn’t expect to think/feel/play like one.  I have kids.  I have a demanding career.  I am the sole provider for my family. I have a house, a dog, cars, property and responsibilities.   I’m a hell of a lot different than when I was 16.  My golf game will probably reflect that. 

Point there is your junior career was just that - your junior career.  

my junior career was quite good.  My college career sucked an egg.  My amateur career was non-existent until about 5 months ago.  So, I’m starting over.  

Think of this as a new chapter - not a continuation of where you were.   It will change your perspective and remove the “wtf!?l” factor after some shots and allow you to learn to play as you are today.  

look on the bright side - you’re not starting from square one.   I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to start playing in your 30s - there just so much to learn it would be challenging for more people to ever reach a low single digit handicap. 

keep at it!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, HackDaddy360 said:

Easiest way to understand the variation is simply time spent/balls hit and expectations, in my mind. 

You sound like you’re where I was 4 months ago.  It all got better when I realized I’m not the player I used to be - and that’s not a bad thing.  I’m stronger, have more shots in the bag and more experience thinking about things in general.  Im also not a kid so I shouldn’t expect to think/feel/play like one.  I have kids.  I have a demanding career.  I am the sole provider for my family. I have a house, a dog, cars, property and responsibilities.   I’m a hell of a lot different than when I was 16.  My golf game will probably reflect that. 

Point there is your junior career was just that - your junior career.  

my junior career was quite good.  My college career sucked an egg.  My amateur career was non-existent until about 5 months ago.  So, I’m starting over.  

Think of this as a new chapter - not a continuation of where you were.   It will change your perspective and remove the “wtf!?l” factor after some shots and allow you to learn to play as you are today.  

look on the bright side - you’re not starting from square one.   I can’t imagine how frustrating it would be to start playing in your 30s - there just so much to learn it would be challenging for more people to ever reach a low single digit handicap. 

keep at it!

Thanks!  I probably have high expectations and am used to overachieving compared to my talent level!  I hadn't been in school in 16 years and wanted to go back and get an MBA, so I studied my butt off (500 hours) and got a 730 on the GMAT.  I am that "intense" guy (not in personality, but certainly when learning and attempting to excel at a new skill).  I only like doing something if I can do it well and put in the requisite time.  I am used to seeing returns on time spent, which is why I am frustrated so far with my lack of consistency after probably 30 range sessions. 

I was going through something similar. I hadn't played in almost a decade, but grew up playing junior golf and was a mid single digit handicap most of my life. I got back into the game a few months ago and couldn't get any sort of consistency with my swing. It was infuriating.

Videoed my swing and sent it in for an online lesson. Turns out 90% of my issue came from my grip and setup. I also started videoing my swing whenever I went to the range. I was able to pick up on a few things that needed to be corrected or that I needed to work on. I'd recommend doing the same and seeing if there is anything you notice that looks out of whack.

Edited by MC21

3 hours ago, Dawgdude said:

You do hit far, but that’s non-consequential to answering your questions. It might be consequential to how bad your misses end up. Lol!

I played a horrible round the other day with a beginner, and he was “sympathetic” to my misses. Lol. When I forgot the tees we were playing, I ended up overshooting the green past a ditch onto a par 3 tee box. All I could say to him was “Lesson learned, don’t hit long until you can hit good” as other golfers  looked toward us with unhappiness upon their faces. Uhg, I knew some of them. Seriously though, it was overall still a fun round considering I almost birdied the most difficult hole from 4 feet immediately afterwards. Yes, I should have made that putt, but no practice greens during the pandemic made it somewhat excusable to miss.

It’s normal for someone who doesn’t hit 500 balls a day to mishit or misjudge now and then. We’re not professionals, nor are there any expectations placed upon us. My regular playing partners have long since given up on me scoring consistently. Still, we have fun.

Have fun out there, and as others have mentioned, don’t worry about your current score. It is what it is.

I just got back to playing regularly this season after about 2 seasons where I only played once or twice on vacation and those rounds were just with my brother in law and wife's cousins so it was mostly just an excuse to get away from the wives and kids for a couple hours and drink beer so it wasn't anything serious.  I began playing at least once a week back in May and within the past 3 weeks I just began to start shooting around what I was scoring shortly before I went on a 2-3 year hiatus.  So it took me nearly 4 months of practice and playing at least 18-27 holes a week to get back to where I was.  I would be lying if I said I wasn't frustrated early on but I had way too many swing thoughts in my earlier rounds this season.   Once I stopped worrying about score and swing thoughts I gradually started improving.   I just think you are expecting too much from your game after being out of it for a considerable amount of time.

• Like 1

It's likely a tempo issue.  You get in a good tempo on the range, on the course, you don't.  You can have the fundamentals of a tour pro, but if you have bad tempo, you'll hit some wild shots.

Practice to a metronome, that's what's helped me.  I found a video of Seve Ballesteros on the driving range on youtube and timed his swing with a metronome - his tempo is a consistent 57 beats per minute from start of swing to impact with every club in his bag.   I put a metronome app on my phone and I stick a earbud in and groove my swing to the clicks.  It's gotten to the point that I can count it in my head on the course when things aren't going well.  It always gets me back on track. 

Edited by Dr. Block

I started playing regularly again in March after taking about 7 years off (playing once or twice a year and only w/ friends and usually a lot of beer, so not serious golf). I was a plus capper as a junior. I stopped playing because I was burnt out and not having fun and it was no longer worth it to me put in the hours to play at a competitive level. So when I decided to take the game seriously again, I promised myself that no matter what, my goal would be to have fun. To be clear, I care about my scores, chasing par is fun, but that's not the whole story. Everyone's game is different, but here is what I have learned and is working for me:

1) It took me 16 years to go from a beginner to a +2; it would be silly of me to think that I will be able to get back to scratch in a matter of months after an extended time away from the game. 

2) I am not the golfer I was at 18. As a teenager I could spend 8-12 hours a day in the summer playing and practicing and even during the school year I rarely played less than 126 holes/week. I will never be able to play/practice in that type of volume again, nor do I really want to. As a result, I am going to be less consistent.

3) I am more emotionally competent and intelligent than I was as a hot-headed teenager. What I've lost in repeatable-mechanics and touch I think I can more than make up for by playing smarter and maintaining self-control on the course.

4) I have completely abandoned thinking about my swing mechanics. Unless I develop a consistent and frequent miss I have no plans to take lessons, look at film of my swing, or practice specific motions. This doesn't mean I always hit perfect shots - I don't - but I trust that I still have a solid enough movement that can generate good to great golf shots. I do make sure that I am setting up to the ball with a correct posture, grip, and alignment, but don't think about anything other than tempo beyond that. In the absence of a clear fault, it doesn't make sense to spend the limited practice time I have improving something that already works well. 

5) Methodically identify the areas of your game that need improvement the most and focus on those. Alternatively, focus on what you know you can improve. By keeping very detailed stats and indexing those against tour averages, I know that I need to improve my make % from 8-15 feet and lag putting from outside 35 ft. I also know that my proximity to the pin from 5-75 yards is holding me back. I can/do practice the putting, but the pitching and chipping is more complicated as I do not have access to a short-game facility. Rather than just give up on that area, I practice the best I can, but also acknowledge on the course that this is a weakness and plan each hole accordingly. 

I started in march playing at about a 10-12 handicap and am down to 3-4, mostly through improving course management and relearning touch on the greens. My ball striking and driving has gotten a touch more consistent in the months sense, but isn't radically different than when I picked up the clubs again. Golf is about finding what works for you, not having the best and most consistent swing. 

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

1 hour ago, MC21 said:

I was going through something similar. I hadn't played in almost a decade, but grew up playing junior golf and was a mid single digit handicap most of my life. I got back into the game a few months ago and couldn't get any sort of consistency with my swing. It was infuriating.

Videoed my swing and sent it in for an online lesson. Turns out 90% of my issue came from my grip and setup. I also started videoing my swing whenever I went to the range. I was able to pick up on a few things that needed to be corrected or that I needed to work on. I'd recommend doing the same and seeing if there is anything you notice that looks out of whack.

What is the best way to capture video? Do you have some sort of i-phone holder, or do you use a tripod?  I agree: video feedback is key. When i was skiing a lot and trying to become a very good bumper, I used video once a week. 

1 hour ago, Lincoln_Arcadia said:

You do hit far, but that’s non-consequential to answering your questions. It might be consequential to how bad your misses end up. Lol!

I played a horrible round the other day with a beginner, and he was “sympathetic” to my misses. Lol. When I forgot the tees we were playing, I ended up overshooting the green past a ditch onto a par 3 tee box. All I could say to him was “Lesson learned, don’t hit long until you can hit good” as other golfers  looked toward us with unhappiness upon their faces. Uhg, I knew some of them. Seriously though, it was overall still a fun round considering I almost birdied the most difficult hole from 4 feet immediately afterwards. Yes, I should have made that putt, but no practice greens during the pandemic made it somewhat excusable to miss.

It’s normal for someone who doesn’t hit 500 balls a day to mishit or misjudge now and then. We’re not professionals, nor are there any expectations placed upon us. My regular playing partners have long since given up on me scoring consistently. Still, we have fun.

Have fun out there, and as others have mentioned, don’t worry about your current score. It is what it is.

Yeah, bad misses are a lot further out of line when the ballspeed is high!  If I just hit my 4-iron off the tee, I can't get into much trouble. I would rather be 220 in the rough vs 290 in the water. Not a bad strategy; I can still reach those long par 4s if don't screw up too badly. 

30 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

It's likely a tempo issue.  You get in a good tempo on the range, on the course, you don't.  You can have the fundamentals of a tour pro, but if you have bad tempo, you'll hit some wild shots.

Practice to a metronome, that's what's helped me.  I found a video of Seve Ballesteros on the driving range on youtube and timed his swing with a metronome - his tempo is a consistent 57 beats per minute from start of swing to impact with every club in his bag.   I put a metronome app on my phone and I stick a earbud in and groove my swing to the clicks.  It's gotten to the point that I can count it in my head on the course when things aren't going well.  It always gets me back on track. 

Great idea!  My wife is a percussionist and suggested something similar.  She said to "count in my head...1 eee and aahh 2..." just to keep my tempo easy and consistent. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, EDT501 said:

I started playing regularly again in March after taking about 7 years off (playing once or twice a year and only w/ friends and usually a lot of beer, so not serious golf). I was a plus capper as a junior. I stopped playing because I was burnt out and not having fun and it was no longer worth it to me put in the hours to play at a competitive level. So when I decided to take the game seriously again, I promised myself that no matter what, my goal would be to have fun. To be clear, I care about my scores, chasing par is fun, but that's not the whole story. Everyone's game is different, but here is what I have learned and is working for me:

1) It took me 16 years to go from a beginner to a +2; it would be silly of me to think that I will be able to get back to scratch in a matter of months after an extended time away from the game. 

2) I am not the golfer I was at 18. As a teenager I could spend 8-12 hours a day in the summer playing and practicing and even during the school year I rarely played less than 126 holes/week. I will never be able to play/practice in that type of volume again, nor do I really want to. As a result, I am going to be less consistent.

3) I am more emotionally competent and intelligent than I was as a hot-headed teenager. What I've lost in repeatable-mechanics and touch I think I can more than make up for by playing smarter and maintaining self-control on the course.

4) I have completely abandoned thinking about my swing mechanics. Unless I develop a consistent and frequent miss I have no plans to take lessons, look at film of my swing, or practice specific motions. This doesn't mean I always hit perfect shots - I don't - but I trust that I still have a solid enough movement that can generate good to great golf shots. I do make sure that I am setting up to the ball with a correct posture, grip, and alignment, but don't think about anything other than tempo beyond that. In the absence of a clear fault, it doesn't make sense to spend the limited practice time I have improving something that already works well. 

5) Methodically identify the areas of your game that need improvement the most and focus on those. Alternatively, focus on what you know you can improve. By keeping very detailed stats and indexing those against tour averages, I know that I need to improve my make % from 8-15 feet and lag putting from outside 35 ft. I also know that my proximity to the pin from 5-75 yards is holding me back. I can/do practice the putting, but the pitching and chipping is more complicated as I do not have access to a short-game facility. Rather than just give up on that area, I practice the best I can, but also acknowledge on the course that this is a weakness and plan each hole accordingly. 

I started in march playing at about a 10-12 handicap and am down to 3-4, mostly through improving course management and relearning touch on the greens. My ball striking and driving has gotten a touch more consistent in the months sense, but isn't radically different than when I picked up the clubs again. Golf is about finding what works for you, not having the best and most consistent swing. 

Thanks for the perspective!  That is kind of the progression I am hoping to make. I am not going be a scratch, but capable of shooting mid 70's is an attainable level.  I got into the groove during one round and hit something like 9 greens in regulation in a row: 6 pars, a birdie, and 2 bogeys was the result.  The difference: I was relaxed, confident, and swinging easy.  I wasn't searching for something.  I would tee off with my 3 hybrid and take 250 in the fairway if a driver were risky.  Of course, then I made a mental error, started pressing, and got a triple bogey.

I will just keep at it and keep working-you have a lot more swing experience than I do, but the coaches here who have seen me swing keep telling me that "you will be in the 70's in no time-your swing is already there".  At some point, I would like that to be true! 

10 minutes ago, Dawgdude said:

What is the best way to capture video? Do you have some sort of i-phone holder, or do you use a tripod?  I agree: video feedback is key. When i was skiing a lot and trying to become a very good bumper, I used video once a week. 

Honestly, I just position my phone so that it sits between two headcovers in my bag, but there are attachments that you can buy that mount your phone to your bag. 

https://www.amazon.com/SelfieGolf-Record-Golf-Swing-Accessories/dp/B07PRJK85J/ref=asc_df_B07PRJK85J/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1919634013051159735&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003743&hvtargid=pla-693949958050&psc=1&tag=&ref=&adgrpid=68258019599&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvadid=343227706686&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1919634013051159735&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9003743&hvtargid=pla-693949958050

7 minutes ago, Dawgdude said:

Thanks for the perspective!  That is kind of the progression I am hoping to make. I am not going be a scratch, but capable of shooting mid 70's is an attainable level.  I got into the groove during one round and hit something like 9 greens in regulation in a row: 6 pars, a birdie, and 2 bogeys was the result.  The difference: I was relaxed, confident, and swinging easy.  I wasn't searching for something.  I would tee off with my 3 hybrid and take 250 in the fairway if a driver were risky.  Of course, then I made a mental error, started pressing, and got a triple bogey.

I will just keep at it and keep working-you have a lot more swing experience than I do, but the coaches here who have seen me swing keep telling me that "you will be in the 70's in no time-your swing is already there".  At some point, I would like that to be true! 

It sounds to me like you have all the physical skills you need to play single digit golf. I think you'll find the answers to what it takes to get to the next level out on the course rather than on the driving range. If I were you, I'd spend the next several rounds thinking of each hole as its own game and finding the strategies that fit your game and give you the best chance to make birdie without bringing double bogey into play. There are some resources that can teach you the basics of course management, but everyone really needs to learn for themselves when it makes sense for them to be aggressive and when it makes sense to avoid the big number. 

Titleist TSi3 - Diamana ZF, 60tx

Mizuno MP Titanium 15* & 18* - Diamana Kai’li, 70 & 80x

Ping G410 22* hybrid - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Mizuno MP68 (raw) 4i-PW - Steelfiber i110cw, x

Some stuff I ground myself (raw) - Steelfiber i110cw, x

3DP Design Long / Slant Neck custom Morris - OG Whiteboard, 83x

Lamkin Crossline Cord | ProV1 | MacKenzie Original Walker

What course are you playing that has 500 yard par 4s? Unless read that wrong and that's your previous golf life?

Edited by SNIPERBBB

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

3 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

What course are you playing that has 500 yard par 4s? Unless read that wrong and that's your previous golf life?

I must have mis-typed!  I have played 480 Par 4s (my course as a kid had an insanely long opening hole; Forest Hills in Reedsport OR) but they moved the tees up since. I think it plays 450 now. The par 5 was something like 565.  I don't think I have played a 500yd par 4 but it would be fun!  

2 minutes ago, Dawgdude said:

I must have mis-typed!  I have played 480 Par 4s (my course as a kid had an insanely long opening hole; Forest Hills in Reedsport OR) but they moved the tees up since. I think it plays 450 now. The par 5 was something like 565.  I don't think I have played a 500yd par 4 but it would be fun!  

It wears off...unless the guys you're playing for money need two drivers and a wedge to get there.

• Haha 1

SIM 2 Max 9.0 turned 7.0
TM Sim2 Titaniu, 13.5
TM RBZ 19* hybrid

TM RBZ 22* hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 HM 5-PW
Vokey SM7 48* F Grind
Vokey SM7 54* F Grind
Vokey SM7 58* M Grind

31 minutes ago, SNIPERBBB said:

It wears off...unless the guys you're playing for money need two drivers and a wedge to get there.

Uhhhh ... that would be me. LOL

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

Mid-late 30's here just getting back into the game as well.  Same situation, good swing, capable of a decent touch around the greens and reasonable putting.

Been out of things for a couple of years and just got back on a kick where I shot an 83 (edit: my previous low when I was playing was 86) on a 130 slope course.  Had four or five good rounds and then this weekend went out and fatted and skulled my way around the course like I'd never seen a golf club in my life.

These things happen, takes some time and patience and making golf a time and effort priority in your life to get back into.  Some people are lucky and it comes back with no real effort, just playing, but most of us have to work at it with some degree of dedication and frustration at the ups and downs of the process. 

Edited by Replant

I know the feel, man. I was off for about 20 years. When I was in my teens and spent practically every non-school moment playing or practicing, I was usually around par every round. My dad - my constant playing partner - passed away suddenly when I was 21 and the first round I played following, shot a 75 while basically crying the whole time. Then just stepped away aside from occasional range sessions and the odd round here and there. 

I've played more in the last two months than I did from 1999 till 2018. 

When I came back, it was a struggle to even get near breaking 100. Everything FELT the same to me in terms of my swing but the results were far from it. What I really had to come to grips with is ... a golf swing is not like riding a bike. And, ya know, a 41 y/o body (at the time - closing in on 43 now) ain't a 21 y/o body. So I went back to the fundamentals and put in a lot of work for building everything back but to fit a considerably less flexible guy. Took a lot of work but after about a year or so, I was firmly playing to a 5. Low round last year was 74 and I was rarely more than 80 by the end of the year.

2020 was SUPPOSED to be the year I was gonna knock those 5 off ... or really, really try. Then COVID happened and ... well, plans were delayed. But I HAVE continued to build on what I was working on and after a recent Trackman session where I hit the same clubs I played in high school, it hit me - I'm longer and more accurate than I was then. 

It's my short game that needs the most help to get back to the scores I used to see. 

2 hours ago, Dawgdude said:

Great idea!  My wife is a percussionist and suggested something similar.  She said to "count in my head...1 eee and aahh 2..." just to keep my tempo easy and consistent. 

And on that note ... those 20 years between were spent being a drummer. A waltz might be a better thought. ?

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept