Masters practice round + golf trip, what would you do?

I'm organizing a 2021 Masters trip and I was wondering what would you guys do if you had a couple of free days beside the one day at Augusta National. Playing golf at Kiawah? Pinehurst? Charleston area? Atlanta? If we fly from Europe to Atlanta would it be a very long trip to Kiawah?

All this if I can reach the US  because of the covid ?

Thanks for all the tips I will receive

imak

Edited by imakaveli
  • imakaveli changed the title to Masters practice round + golf trip, what would you do?
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did similar last year from Europe. Fairly sure you want to fly to Charlotte, not Atlanta, especially if you are looking at Pinehurst etc. Depends on your budget, we found plenty of decent courses arou

Posted Images

Have only been to one Masters in 2009, we went the practice day (Tiger didn't come out as it was too cold) and Thursday, we then headed up to Pinehurst, rented an Airbnb with a big TV, played golf in the morning, beers, BBQ and Masters in the afternoon. Wonderful town and ample opportunities for good golf.

Drive was easy but we are accustomed to longer travel, and being foreigners was good to have a look around. 

Drive time from Atlanta airport to Kiawah would be 5.5 hours. Delta does have direct flights from Atlanta to Charleston quite often. Flight about be like 30 minutes once you take off. 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: T.B.D.

LW: T.B.D. 

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

6 hours ago, imakaveli said:

I'm organizing a 2021 Masters trip and I was wondering what would you guys do if you had a couple of free days beside the one day at Augusta National. Playing golf at Kiawah? Pinehurst? Charleston area? Atlanta? If we fly from Europe to Atlanta would it be a very long trip to Kiawah?

All this if I can reach the US  because of the covid ?

Thanks for all the tips I will receive

imak

A lot depends on how much time you have.

When I went to the Masters we went to Pinehurst for a few days before and then the day before our Masters tickets we played a round in the AM and drove to where we were staying for the Masters in Columbia. About 4 hours from Pinehurst to Columbia IIRC.

Kiawah is about the same but the closest is probably playing some of the RTJ Trail courses.

If you fly into Atlanta you can get to the Grand National site in about 2 hours.  That would be my first recommendation.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

Did similar last year from Europe. Fairly sure you want to fly to Charlotte, not Atlanta, especially if you are looking at Pinehurst etc. Depends on your budget, we found plenty of decent courses around Charlotte at a good price, very nice smart city, but 2 hours to Augusta so we stayed around Columbia for the tournament itself. 

• Like 1

On 9/21/2020 at 12:27 PM, Malvern said:

Have only been to one Masters in 2009, we went the practice day (Tiger didn't come out as it was too cold) and Thursday, we then headed up to Pinehurst, rented an Airbnb with a big TV, played golf in the morning, beers, BBQ and Masters in the afternoon. Wonderful town and ample opportunities for good golf.

Drive was easy but we are accustomed to longer travel, and being foreigners was good to have a look around. 

thank you!

On 9/21/2020 at 2:37 PM, krtgolfing said:

Drive time from Atlanta airport to Kiawah would be 5.5 hours. Delta does have direct flights from Atlanta to Charleston quite often. Flight about be like 30 minutes once you take off. 

so probably the best would be to take a plane from ATL to CHA, rend a car there and then leave it in ATL at the end of the trip, thanks!

On 9/21/2020 at 4:53 PM, jvincent said:

A lot depends on how much time you have.

When I went to the Masters we went to Pinehurst for a few days before and then the day before our Masters tickets we played a round in the AM and drove to where we were staying for the Masters in Columbia. About 4 hours from Pinehurst to Columbia IIRC.

Kiawah is about the same but the closest is probably playing some of the RTJ Trail courses.

If you fly into Atlanta you can get to the Grand National site in about 2 hours.  That would be my first recommendation.

thank you! Grand National looks great, and it would save us a lot of time, do you have another course to recommend since we would like to play 2 days? Is there any nice city to stay close to that? 

On 9/21/2020 at 7:08 PM, postfold said:

Did this one year, spent four days in Pinehurst then drove down for the Masters practice round.  Stayed in Columbia, South Carolina as rates were reasonable and it was an easy drive in the morning to Augusta.  Very enjoyable all around.

Never been to Kiawah or Charleston.

thank you!

On 9/21/2020 at 7:19 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

Spend the money the day before for scalped tickets after lunch. Prices go down and get more time to walk the course, etc. Or at the end of the day see if any bargains for the next day, but that’s less likely. 

how does that work? you just go outside the gate and ask if anybody is willing to give you tickets? thant would be for the Monday round, around what price can you get that ticket after lunch?

On 9/22/2020 at 9:45 PM, milesgiles said:

Did similar last year from Europe. Fairly sure you want to fly to Charlotte, not Atlanta, especially if you are looking at Pinehurst etc. Depends on your budget, we found plenty of decent courses around Charlotte at a good price, very nice smart city, but 2 hours to Augusta so we stayed around Columbia for the tournament itself. 

which courses did you play?

33 minutes ago, imakaveli said:

which courses did you play?

Springfield, red bridge, linrick and one other I can’t find. All public courses $40_$50 ish. Convenient for where we were staying. 

NB.. they had had a very wet and cold spring and the fairway grass was dormant. Further south this might not have been an issue, go on the travel section on this site, explain your budget/plans and they will clue you in..

2 hours ago, imakaveli said:

how does that work? you just go outside the gate and ask if anybody is willing to give you tickets? thant would be for the Monday round, around what price can you get that ticket after lunch?

You'll see "scalpers" starting right at 2700 feet from the entrance to the main lot (the legal minimum). We went in '16, and no Tiger, but for the Monday practice round I'd think you'd get a decent price and sounds like you are going all day Tuesday? Look for "Butch" - he's usually right there and near TBonz if he is still at it. Great guy.  I think I paid $600 total for two tickets about 1 p.m or a little after, but it's been awhile.  It was worth it to us.  Our regular tickets were for Wednesday and we planned to watch a lot of the par 3 tourney, so getting in for the remainder of the day on Tuesday allowed us to walk almost all the course, see plenty of players (but most had been out earlier in the day), spend time at the range and take care of all of our merchandise purchases - really freed up Wednesday.  Again, no idea what those kind of tickets would go for now and maybe the uncertainty of waiting to find out vs. getting out and golfing isn't worth it, but just an idea.  

Recommend highly, if they are still around, the Frog Hollow Tavern for a super nice dinner if you are looking.  I called them well in advance of the tournament, outside their posted reservation times, and was able to make a reservation.  We had to monitor our pimento cheese sandwich intake that day, lol, so we were ready for a nice dinner.  Probably one of the more expensive dinner options, but the food was fantastic and cheap food at Augusta National keeps eating costs low!

Butch . . . .

fullsizeoutput_a19.jpeg

3 hours ago, imakaveli said:

thank you! Grand National looks great, and it would save us a lot of time, do you have another course to recommend since we would like to play 2 days? Is there any nice city to stay close to that? 

I would actually spend two days at Grand National and play both courses twice. When I travel I like to play each course multiple times so that I can get a feel for them, see different pin positions.

If you want to play some other courses I'd recommend going to Capitol Hill. The three courses there are very good to. It's about an hour drive from Grand National so an easy morning trip.

I stayed at the hotel attached to Grand National when I went but you can probably get a pretty good AirBnB in Auburn.

Cobra RAD Speed 9* : Ventus Blue 6-S

Cobra RAD Speed 3W : Graphite Design AD TP8-S

Cobra ForgedTec 3-iron : Ventus Blue HB 8-S

Srixon Z785 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 120-S

Cleveland RTX3 50, 54: Nippon 115-S Wedge

Cobra MIM Black 58 : Nippon 125-S Wedge

Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

If you're only doing one day in Augusta, I would gravitate towards Tuesday for practice round if you have the choice.  Wednesday is a bit different with the par 3, and I just find it not that exciting - unless you want to see Jack and Gary and other old guys let their grand kids play.  Tuesday everyone has their game face on and everyone plays at least 9 holes.  Monday is decent, but a bit quieter.

I am slightly biased, but I think Pinehurst is one of the absolute best places to play golf in the US.  It's a very manageable trip from Augusta (~3.5 hours) and there are more courses at more price points than Kiawah.  PH #2 is awesome, but if you don't want to pay the ridiculously high greens fees, you have so many other options.  At Kiawah, the Ocean Course has spectacular views and is just as expensive as #2.  The downside is the other options just don't compare to the other options in the Pinehurst area

One other potential would be Reynolds Plantation, which has a bunch of courses, but I think it becomes corporate central during Masters week.  But as far as convenience, it can be beat - it is half way between Atlanta airport and Augusta.  Might be worth seeing what they have to offer during Masters week for a smaller group   

Edited by medicoreMAgolfer
On 9/24/2020 at 11:25 AM, milesgiles said:

Springfield, red bridge, linrick and one other I can’t find. All public courses $40_$50 ish. Convenient for where we were staying. 

NB.. they had had a very wet and cold spring and the fairway grass was dormant. Further south this might not have been an issue, go on the travel section on this site, explain your budget/plans and they will clue you in..

Thanks!

On 9/24/2020 at 1:55 PM, Hawkeye77 said:

You'll see "scalpers" starting right at 2700 feet from the entrance to the main lot (the legal minimum). We went in '16, and no Tiger, but for the Monday practice round I'd think you'd get a decent price and sounds like you are going all day Tuesday? Look for "Butch" - he's usually right there and near TBonz if he is still at it. Great guy.  I think I paid $600 total for two tickets about 1 p.m or a little after, but it's been awhile.  It was worth it to us.  Our regular tickets were for Wednesday and we planned to watch a lot of the par 3 tourney, so getting in for the remainder of the day on Tuesday allowed us to walk almost all the course, see plenty of players (but most had been out earlier in the day), spend time at the range and take care of all of our merchandise purchases - really freed up Wednesday.  Again, no idea what those kind of tickets would go for now and maybe the uncertainty of waiting to find out vs. getting out and golfing isn't worth it, but just an idea.  

Recommend highly, if they are still around, the Frog Hollow Tavern for a super nice dinner if you are looking.  I called them well in advance of the tournament, outside their posted reservation times, and was able to make a reservation.  We had to monitor our pimento cheese sandwich intake that day, lol, so we were ready for a nice dinner.  Probably one of the more expensive dinner options, but the food was fantastic and cheap food at Augusta National keeps eating costs low!

Butch . . . .

fullsizeoutput_a19.jpeg

Thanks for all the tips!!

On 9/24/2020 at 2:47 PM, jvincent said:

I would actually spend two days at Grand National and play both courses twice. When I travel I like to play each course multiple times so that I can get a feel for them, see different pin positions.

If you want to play some other courses I'd recommend going to Capitol Hill. The three courses there are very good to. It's about an hour drive from Grand National so an easy morning trip.

I stayed at the hotel attached to Grand National when I went but you can probably get a pretty good AirBnB in Auburn.

thank you!

On 9/25/2020 at 5:36 PM, medicoreMAgolfer said:

If you're only doing one day in Augusta, I would gravitate towards Tuesday for practice round if you have the choice.  Wednesday is a bit different with the par 3, and I just find it not that exciting - unless you want to see Jack and Gary and other old guys let their grand kids play.  Tuesday everyone has their game face on and everyone plays at least 9 holes.  Monday is decent, but a bit quieter.

I am slightly biased, but I think Pinehurst is one of the absolute best places to play golf in the US.  It's a very manageable trip from Augusta (~3.5 hours) and there are more courses at more price points than Kiawah.  PH #2 is awesome, but if you don't want to pay the ridiculously high greens fees, you have so many other options.  At Kiawah, the Ocean Course has spectacular views and is just as expensive as #2.  The downside is the other options just don't compare to the other options in the Pinehurst area

One other potential would be Reynolds Plantation, which has a bunch of courses, but I think it becomes corporate central during Masters week.  But as far as convenience, it can be beat - it is half way between Atlanta airport and Augusta.  Might be worth seeing what they have to offer during Masters week for a smaller group   

Thanks, we talked about this with my friends and I think they prefere Kiawah since they want to stay close to the ocean, probably we will do back to back Ocean course, not cheap at all but since we are doing a trip from Europe probably it makes sense 🙂 

3 hours ago, imakaveli said:

I dropped a couple of mails to this guys https://www.charlestongolfguide.com/ but received no answer... 

Does anybody know other companies who offer Ocean Course packages? We are thinking about 2 rounds in two days on the OC, or you just ask the club? Thanks! 

Why not just call Kiawah Island directly?? They will probably be able to offer the best prices / accommodations. 

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: T.B.D.

LW: T.B.D. 

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5