2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Single length Re-Boot

disco111

On 9/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, disco111 said:

Since DeSham won the Open in convincing style, is anyone thinking of re-trying SL irons and/or if you never tried them, thinking about giving them a go? 

my fitter told me these are a gimmick and only a unicorn can pull them off. The lies will need to be adjusted on every club and if you have a slow swing speed, they will not do anything for you. Try them a your own risk.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

6 minutes ago, xkilgorextroutx said:

Your fitter is making massive generalizations. Multiple threads here about successes with single length clubs. My driver tops out at 95 and when I tried out SLs when my buddy loaned me his set while he was injured, within a few range sessions I was far more consistent than with my "regular" clubs. Plenty of height. Seriously considering a set of Cobras for next season.

There are also dual length concept sets on the market now, also.  Should help with those who have issues with elevating the lower lofts in SL sets.

• Like 3

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I would be worried about my distance gaps. I have good gaps now, i would think single length shafts would cut into those.

I've never felt i couldn't make good contact with the clubs at their current lengths. If it works for him that's great. I've never thought of changing

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I wouls say try them, to each his own. That said, thinking success in the professional ranks rarely passes down to the everyday amateur especially in equipment. I would suggest golfers stop comparing themselves to the professional players, and while you may think you can play like the new US Open champion with clubs like these,  reality, begs to differ.

• Like 2

Play Golf.....Play Blades......Play Something Else.....Just Go Play.....

4 HC

I set about this summer to make the game easier through club setup. To do so, I was going to either get the cobra forged tec blacks one length or the Ping G410's. I went with the one lengths (4-G) to give them a try. I haven't found problems with gapping thus far, but the short irons are a bit of a challenge. I am a high ball hitter and they hit it incredibly high; so high that I have had a bit of a problem in the wind. I also found that my 54 and 60, which are still variable length, became less consistent with half shots due to the differences in length. Overall, my scores haven't changed much (still mid to low 70's) as they are generally predicated on how I am driving the ball because my iron play generally sucks. 

I would like to try a hybrid version. Use normal setup through the 7 or 8 iron and then go single length from there. I think it would definitely help ball striking with the longer irons to have a shorter shaft length. Don’t think I would like the longer shaft lengths in the short irons. Would be an interesting experiment anyway. 

3 hours ago, Rbsiedsc said:

my fitter told me these are a gimmick and only a unicorn can pull them off. The lies will need to be adjusted on every club and if you have a slow swing speed, they will not do anything for you. Try them a your own risk.

Get your fitter to tell Wishon that he is also wasting his time and clearly knows nothing.

• Like 1

What's In The Ping Moonlite:
Ping Rapture '14 13*
Ping Rapture DI 18*
Titleist 690.CB 4/6/8/PW
Vokey TVD 54*
Odyssey Tank V-Line

This thread got me. Have a set of F8 OL irons in the backup bag. Just ordered a JumboMax Ultralite grip. I think I'm going to put it on the PW and give them another test.

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

I would add this thought.  A 2-5 iron in a hollow bodied 'utility club' design would be effective for most golfers in the 38-39" length range.  This puts those irons squarely in the 'standard' 5 iron length of 38" or a 'standard 3 iron' at 39" long.  If you build these clubs at +/1 .5" you have a lot of fitting variation for different sized golfers.  I also think the design of these utility iron heads would allow a golfer to be better suited at hitting these clubs, but with more precision than a wood type hybrid.

Currently the top of my bag has a 16* hybrid (2 iron equivalent), 19* hybrid (3 iron equivalent) and a 22* (4 iron equivalent).  They are older Kasco K2K hybrids and are SUPER easy to hit high and straight, but for their loft, they are IMO, about a club short.  What they are not so good at it is keeping the ball down to hit a wind cheating stinger.  They are not so good out of any sort of rough.

I am re-thinking the top of my bag at the moment.  I just ordered an 18* Tour Edge Exotics CBX 119 hybrid...it is a low flying spin killer.  It will have one job...hit a tee shot that flies low and under control about 210-230 yards for me.  I am also looking at the Srixon U85 and the soon to be released ZX utility irons.  What I am thinking is a utility 4 and 5 iron at 38.5" long.  This puts the 4 iron at 'standard' and puts the 5 iron at +.5" over 'standard' and allows me to feel more comfortable over both clubs.  You could probably build yourself a 'single length' long iron set using this approach.  a 2, 3, 4, 5 iron at 38.5" or 39" is doable and would alleviate the 'low flight/gapping' issues most golfers get at the top of the bag and still net you some more control.  For a guy like me, that allows me to build the bottom half of my irons to fit ME.

From my own experience, I love the SL concept.  To take it to the 'next level' would require a break from SL to a 'dual' SL set up.  SL for my long irons and SL for mid/short irons/wedges, and you could even have a third part with your wedges.

I want to try out OL, I think it will work for someone at my height and size especially in the shorter irons. The issues are options and money, do I want to spend the money on a trail? Most likely not. 

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

4 hours ago, MattM97 said:

I want to try out OL, I think it will work for someone at my height and size especially in the shorter irons. The issues are options and money, do I want to spend the money on a trail? Most likely not. 

Matt, you can buy a Pinhawk or something like that in 6, 8, and PW for pretty cheap and try them out before taking the plunge.

My initial trial was far less 'in depth' but I had a friend build me a 37" long PW...and on the first swing it was love at first swing.  I then built a junker 8 iron to 37" long.  The Swing weights were 10pound sledge hammer and 5 pound sledge hammer...seriously, it was ridiculous, but for 'trial' purposes they fit the bill just fine.

I LOVED the extra length in the 8 and 7, and I was unconcerned with the 5 iron.  This 'trial' and my local Edwin Watts ridicule of the SL Concept as 'a gimmick' and not knowing how to fit someone for SL irons, I decided to get fit by Edel Golf.  I cannot find my write up of that experience as it must be lost by the sight software change over.  Regardless...I would do it again.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

With all due respect, your fitter is full of Sugar Honey Ice Tea.  All of my irons are 37.5" long, all of them have the same head weight, all of them have the same lie angle.  The fitting I went through was exhaustive and covered almost every possible combo that Edel golf had to offer.  In the end, it was like an eye glass fitting Hit this...do you like it?  Ok now hit this.  Better, or worse...now hit this...repeat until I get the desired result.

Are SL irons different than VL...absolutely.  I made the switch 2 years ago and as a birthday gift, got fitted by Edel Golf.  I posted the entire fitting experience here in GWRX. It was AWESOME. I have played numerous rounds, hit lots of balls, and I will say this...I am sold on the SL concept, but with some variations.

My iron set is 5-GW.  I saw my iron play REALLY improve with the 7-GW.  I am a taller golfer, and have never ever felt comfortable with clubs shorter than a 7 iron, and my old irons were +1" long, so a 38" 7 iron.   My irons are all 37.5" long and I really really dig the performance of the 6-GW.  I hit the ball more consistently, straighter, and predictably than I did with VL irons.  I feel BETTER over the ball on full shots, short shots, chips, pitches, bumps and runs, etc. than I ever did before.  I am pretty much the exact OPPOSITE of most people playing SL irons.  Most folks want to see SL in their 3-6 irons and then VL from 7iron down.  If I could do this again...I would make my set 3-GW and have the 3, 4, an 5 iron built at 38.5" and the rest of my clubs at 37.5" long as I have now.  So technically my irons would not be SL, but I would have two 'SL sets' to make one set if that makes sense.  Don't get me wrong, just because I do not hit the 5 iron very high does not mean it's not useful for me either.  

I think there is a place for SL irons.  I think that place is for taller golfers that require over length clubs.  I think that a 3, 4, 5, iron that start at 39" and work up to 40" long are too long for most amateurs to control and make consistent contact.  I think making them 8 iron length will promote solid contact, but will reduce performance to an acceptable level.  I think building the 3, 4, and 5 iron in the 38-39" range and the 6-GW in the 36.5'-37.5" range would promote the best of both worlds.

There are some really good and technically knowledgeable golfers here that will echo the same sentiments for taller golfers that I am espousing here.

Regardless...try them out and see for yourself if you can if it's something you're interested in.  

Your post reinforces what I was going to say. Equal length certainly is a viable option for many but....there is a greater cost involved. Most players can get a serviceable set of clubs off the rack and enjoy the game. Equal length would be a better fit more for serious players that are willing to make a greater time and financial investment in their game. I do not believe a player can buy the Cobra SL off the rack and get much out of it. There is more idiosyncrasies in the tech needs at single length for loft and lie to achieve proper gapping.

• Like 2

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

6 hours ago, Shilgy said:

Your post reinforces what I was going to say. Equal length certainly is a viable option for many but....there is a greater cost involved. Most players can get a serviceable set of clubs off the rack and enjoy the game. Equal length would be a better fit more for serious players that are willing to make a greater time and financial investment in their game. I do not believe a player can buy the Cobra SL off the rack and get much out of it. There is more idiosyncrasies in the tech needs at single length for loft and lie to achieve proper gapping.

A friend of mine has done exactly that, Cobra F7 One Length, with the only change to completely off the rack being DGS shafts.  And he loves them.  He's always had a problem hitting long irons, finally able to do so with the Ones.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Those who say "if they worked, the pros would all be using them" clearly do not understand the culture of golf and the golf industry.

The OEMs are built on a model of a "stock" shaft and "specialty" heads (different lofts, weights, lies).  That's how clubs are made, so that's how they're used.

In connection with that, instruction is predicated on the equipment being produced.  Different length irons increases the lesson time to devote to "wedges, short irons, mid-irons and long irons."  Right?

Bryson pierced the veil.  A pro golfer's "inventory" is practice and conditioning time.  Bryson's SL irons, allow him to spend less time and energy practicing irons, and devote more time to conditioning, driving and putting.  Whether intended or not is irrelevant.  That is the result.  As far as the masses, current variability in iron lengths creates additional instruction time and fees.  One length irons means less lesson time.

Will the industry change?  Follow the money!  Right now, the culture of golfers reflects the industry.  The traditional country club blue bloods with the money for the latest annual OEM full bag purchase hate BD's swing and equipment (and how dare he wear Hogan's cap)!  But, that core group is dwindling.

• Like 3

On 9/21/2020 at 7:16 AM, Loki said:

No, but I think more of his success is due to the arm lock than single length clubs.

Yes and no. DeChambeau won lots of tournaments using single length clubs before he went to arm lock putting technique. But I do agree arm lock was a primary factor to his great putting en route to winning the US Open. And I expect that if he can keep putting well he will win many more tournaments.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I think an over looked aspect of OL sets is loft gapping. Club fitters/manufacturers will let people end up with 2-3* loft gaps within some clubs, especially up near the long irons. At one length, this isn't enough of a gap for proper gapping. I've had success at 4-5* gaps with the same gap between all clubs, giving me more proper distance gaps throughout the bag. Bryson's lofts have changed throughout the years, but if you compare his gapping to the stock sets, you'll see that he has larger gaps per club on average. 

A stronger 4 or 5 iron with weaker P and G will solve the problems most people find with one length.

• Like 2

I have never played one length Irons. I have always thought that this idea has helped Bryson play his way with his unique swing. The only down fall that may have held him back was the uneven lies one may get from 30 yards and in. But in Brson fashion he seen the problem then solved it.

I am however happy to eat my words that he would never win a major, Bryson is an incredible talent that does whatever it takes to make him the best he can be!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Shilgy said:

There are a enough good cheap SL alternatives like Pinhawk.

Also, SL is a very good option for people with back problems. Maybe after Bryson's win people will notice that SL isn't just to make the swing simpler, it can allow people to play with less back pain.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I have a set of f9's 6-gap. I liked them fairly well but always go back to the Apex c16 irons. I just enjoy the feel of the Apex better. But I might try buying some jumbo grips and try those on the f9's.  It would be my anti Apex set but I enjoy experimenting.  ? 

My senior bag.......

Taylormade Sim Max  9* driver reg
Callaway Rogue 3 & 5 fw woods reg
Callaway Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids reg
Sub 70 699 pro's 6-pw
Ping Glide 50*, 54* & 58*
Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putter
Sub 70 Staff bag

I find these sets to be a conundrum.  Hear me out.

im a tall guy. I already play my wedges at around 36.5 inches. My pw-LW has been same length for several years.  So that’s no issue.  Loft will make gaps especially with wedges.    And my irons only step 1/4 between each from pw-7 iron.  Then 3/8 from 6-3 iron.  And I’m prone to choking  down a touch on the 3-4 depending on lie etc. overall set is 1/2 inch over ping standard. But the short irons lengthened to 3/4 over to make them work with my reach etc.  

anyway.  I said that to say that I don’t think single length would be a huge jump in learning curve.  Wedges being the supposed hardest part.  The idea of a 7 iron length 4 iron is appealing to me if it launches.  Since it has to be easier to hit.  Right ?  So that’s why the idea interests me.  But here’s the rub.  

ive looked for a couple years and cannot seem to find a set for sale at anywhere near a decent price.  Keep in mind I’m just wanting heads as I’d have to reshaft likely since most sets I see are R flex or super light etc.  I see edel for $700-1200 used.  I see cobra for no cheaper than $500 if it’s 4-pw.   But you can get cobra brand new for $799.  And choose the shaft.  $800 minimum is a rough pill to swallow .  What i cannot figure out is why there hasn’t been any fire sale prices on used sets yet ?  I’d expect a first gen cobra one length set to be out there for $200 by now.  

in my opinion cobra needs a demo program similar to hogan.  A 4 and an 8 iron demo for $40 for a month.  They’d sell more sets if they did this.  Anybody else find this the holdback for trying it ?  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

What i cannot figure out is why there hasn’t been any fire sale prices on used sets yet ?  I’d expect a first gen cobra one length set to be out there for $200 by now.  

Relatively little inventory is the reason. I don't believe Cobra ever produced a large volume of one length sets, and as such there is little supply of used inventory.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter