Single length Re-Boot

disco111

5 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Relatively little inventory is the reason. I don't believe Cobra ever produced a large volume of one length sets, and as such there is little supply of used inventory.

Maybe true.  I truly think the higher cap guy in a well fitted 6-pw with hybrids up top would benefit.  But the well fitted part is where the investment comes in.  

I’ve just always been a bargain shopper ,   I purchase everything  for my business and have saved untold amounts of money in 20 years by not buying through the easiest Chanel’s.  But these irons have stopped me cold.  Lol. I’ve not seen one set in 2 years that screamed “ good deal “.   

Edited by bladehunter
  • Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've been playing with a set of Cobra King Tour One for 2 seasons now and I've seen nothing but positives.  I had been aware of them for a while and the logic of one set up for a whole set of irons made so much sense, but I was hesitant.  I'm a single digit capper and have been playing since I was 13 - I doubted if it was possible to change and be successful. 

The assistant at my club was experimenting with them, had a split one length set and suggested I just try wedges first.  So I set up my gap, sand and lob the same length as my PW.  They worked well so after a year I started with 6-PW in the Cobra OL.

My major worry was gapping and trajectory.  After one session on the range and a round of golf I was convinced they were going to be good.  I ordered a 4 & 5 to go with it (I've since switched the 4 out for a utility).  The only fitting I've had to do with them is flatten the lies, but I have do that with all my sets (monkey arms).  I have left my specialty wedges at 35.75", 37.5" just feels too weird.

My iron play is more consistent and I love that I can pull out any club on the range and it swings like the others.  I'm sure your results may vary but for me, they are just the ticket.  I can't wait for the next iteration from Cobra. Talked to a rep this spring before COVID & they were supposed to release an MIM OL set to replace the Forged Tour/One ?

• Like 2

TaylorMade M5 10.5° /  Project X HZRDUS Smoke 60 S
Cobra King Speedzone 18.5@17° / Project X HZRDUS Smoke 70 S
TaylorMade  M3 3/19° Rescue/ Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 80H S
Callaway X Forged Utility 21°@22° /  TT Elevate 95 S

Honma T//World Rose Proto MB 5-10 / N.S. Pro Modus3 120TX
Edison 51° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 56° / DG Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T22 60° / DG Tour Issue S400
L.A.B. B.2 Brass/ BGT Stability Tour Black
Maxfli Tour X

2 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Maybe true.  I truly think the higher cap guy in a well fitted 6-pw with hybrids up top would benefit.  But the well fitted part is where the investment comes in.  

I’ve just always been a bargain shopper ,   I purchase everything  for my business and have saved untold amounts of money in 20 years by not buying through the easiest Chanel’s.  But these irons have stopped me cold.  Lol. I’ve not seen one set in 2 years that screamed “ good deal “.   

I believe most low handicap players who have tried one length sets are discouraged by two primary factors:

1) the mid and long iron trajectory is too low, and , or, not enough carry distance difference between clubs.

2) the long wedge shafts make it too challenging to play wedge shots the way they want to play them.

• Like 1

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 minute ago, Fairway14 said:

I believe most low handicap players who have tried one length sets are discouraged by two primary factors:

1) the mid and long iron trajectory is too low, and , or, not enough carry distance difference between clubs.

2) the long wedge shafts make it too challenging to play wedge shots the way they want to play them.

I can see that.  But I suspect the tall guys are the exception.  We’re born either crouching way over to play a wedge or lengthening them.  I can’t get down to hit full shots with a off the rack lob wedge. I mean can’t be done.  Not with any consistency.  Which is why I’m curious.  I’m a 0.7 index at the moment and the idea doesn’t scare me. The long irons is what I want to hit.  But if they are way lower as you say , that’s a non starter.  I had thought maybe they launched higher?  if a set gapped at 5 iron flying say 200-205 minimum and/or 4 iron at 210-215 I could gap that nicely with the hybrid options I own.  

seems to me like if you have the speed the shorter length long iron should launch higher than normal.  Since your swinging more on top of it like a wedge and down the line.  All these are questions I won’t know unless I hit one. Lol. 

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Could the SL clubs have helped Bryson with Winged Foot's rough if this line of thinking is correct.... With deep rough we all know you need to take a more lofted club than normal so reaching the green is a sacrifice for getting the ball out. With Bryson's SL irons the shorter irons, used to get out of the rough, are longer. e.i. his 9i is longer than everyone else's and can generate more clubhead speed. More loft mixed with more speed means he gets out of that thick rough and his ball flies further reaching more greens. Does this make sense? 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, OsnolaKinnard said:

Matt, you can buy a Pinhawk or something like that in 6, 8, and PW for pretty cheap and try them out before taking the plunge.

My initial trial was far less 'in depth' but I had a friend build me a 37" long PW...and on the first swing it was love at first swing.  I then built a junker 8 iron to 37" long.  The Swing weights were 10pound sledge hammer and 5 pound sledge hammer...seriously, it was ridiculous, but for 'trial' purposes they fit the bill just fine.

I LOVED the extra length in the 8 and 7, and I was unconcerned with the 5 iron.  This 'trial' and my local Edwin Watts ridicule of the SL Concept as 'a gimmick' and not knowing how to fit someone for SL irons, I decided to get fit by Edel Golf.  I cannot find my write up of that experience as it must be lost by the sight software change over.  Regardless...I would do it again.

Looked them up, found a local distributor figure my total cost per club built would be about $120 Canadian a club for everything plus build cost. Hmm... I'd have to think about that, plan on building a cheap backup bag and I can snag an iron set for not much more than that. 

• Like 1

Lefty - WITB Thread

Driver: 10° Cobra LTDxLS | AD-IZ 6X 

3W: 15° Callaway Paradym X | AD-IZ 7X

3H: 19° Ping G410 | Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: PXG 0311P 4-6 | 0317CB 7-PW | DG 120 X100

Wedges: SM9 50° - 54° - 58° 

Putter(s): Ping PLD Anser 4K | CMD Gauge R | and more. 

Ball: TP5X 2024

Bag: Ghost Katana

1 hour ago, MSB16 said:

I think an over looked aspect of OL sets is loft gapping. Club fitters/manufacturers will let people end up with 2-3* loft gaps within some clubs, especially up near the long irons. At one length, this isn't enough of a gap for proper gapping. I've had success at 4-5* gaps with the same gap between all clubs, giving me more proper distance gaps throughout the bag. Bryson's lofts have changed throughout the years, but if you compare his gapping to the stock sets, you'll see that he has larger gaps per club on average. 

A stronger 4 or 5 iron with weaker P and G will solve the problems most people find with one length.

I think it quite interesting that he is using big game improvement speedzone irons in the 4 and 5 irons.  Is this the solution to the SL problem of getting the right gapping in the longer irons?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2020 at 7:19 AM, Rbsiedsc said:

my fitter told me these are a gimmick and only a unicorn can pull them off. The lies will need to be adjusted on every club and if you have a slow swing speed, they will not do anything for you. Try them a your own risk.

But that's the entire basis for the one length iron. All of the lies are adjusted correctly to the length, and all of the head weights are adjusted correctly so that the swingweights match. That's why you can't just take standard heads and make a one length set.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Twism86 said:

Could the SL clubs have helped Bryson with Winged Foot's rough if this line of thinking is correct.... With deep rough we all know you need to take a more lofted club than normal so reaching the green is a sacrifice for getting the ball out. With Bryson's SL irons the shorter irons, used to get out of the rough, are longer. e.i. his 9i is longer than everyone else's and can generate more clubhead speed. More loft mixed with more speed means he gets out of that thick rough and his ball flies further reaching more greens. Does this make sense? 

I think that's a very good observation. I predict SL irons will be soon taking off.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

1 hour ago, Twism86 said:

there are a couple things at play. First, Bryson already has more swing speed than just about anyone. But yes, his PW club head speed is going to be even faster because of the the longer shaft length. He also plays his clubs upright, which means less shaft and hosel coming through the long grass. So there is an advantage to his setup. But the longer length also means a more shallow delivery. A shorter club is much easier to hit down steep on and minimize the interaction with the grass, whereas a wedge on 7 iron length is going to sweep a bit more and interfere with the grass for longer. 

• Like 1

PING G400 MAX 10*, Ventus Blue 6X

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 17,5*, AD DI 8S

Cobra F7 Hybrid 21.5*, AD DI 95S

Srixon ZX5mk2 5, ZX7mk2 6-PW Modus 120x

50/54/60 Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore DG Spinner

7 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

there are a couple things at play. First, Bryson already has more swing speed than just about anyone. But yes, his PW club head speed is going to be even faster because of the the longer shaft length. He also plays his clubs upright, which means less shaft and hosel coming through the long grass. So there is an advantage to his setup. But the longer length also means a more shallow delivery. A shorter club is much easier to hit down steep on and minimize the interaction with the grass, whereas a wedge on 7 iron length is going to sweep a bit more and interfere with the grass for longer. 

Good observation, however, Bryson's swing speed is lower than quite a few other players, he was like 6th in driver distance.

BTW, based on the results of Bryson's ability to hack it out of the rough with ease while others struggled apparently the clubhead velocity is more important than the angle. This destroys the notion that the angle is the most important facor of getting out of rough. BTW, all things being equal a 6 iron clubhead speed is about 10 mph faster than a wedge for the average pro, that is significant increase in energy using standard physics equation because the force increases exponentially(to the power of 2) with a linear increase in speed.

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I've been playing Cobra OL clubs now since March 2019.  I'm 6'2" tall, a youthful 71,  and play off 14 with a lifetime low handicap of 11.  My standard iron setup was and continues to be 1" over, and either 2 or 3° degrees up.  In March 2019, I ordered a set of the Cobra F9's, 5-GW, in regular graphite shafts, mid-size grips, and 1" over + 3° up + 1° strong.  I had been playing with TM p790s which I liked, and the OL set was very much an impulse purchase.  

The day they arrived, I hit a dozen balls on the range, and joined my regular 4-some in Texas and promptly shot 82 back when my handicap had crept up to 17.  I was thrilled and they've never left the bag.  I did struggle with playing the TM MG wedges in std + 1" length however.  I also ordered a 19° OL hybrid which is still a work in progress.  I can't get it up in the air sufficiently which I imagine is a result of my slower swing speed.  I do live much of the year in Scotland however, and the club is a secret weapon on a very blowy day since it goes the same distance but never gets more than head high.  It goes in and out of my bag.  Lately mostly out, replaced by an old Callaway 5-wood.

When Cobra released the ForgedTec OL clubs, I loved the look since they were so much like my P790s, and I ordered a set with the same spec's except for standard lofts and I switched to the JumboMax Str8Tech grips in Medium.  Compared to the F9s, I find these fly a bit lower, and are a bit more demanding to hit than the F9s.  They are my Scottish set, and the lower ball flight is perfect over here.  

This June, when the MIM SL wedges finally became available, I've put both 56 and 60° wedges into both sets.  I've also switched over to all JumboMax Str8Tech grips in a medium size--still quite large although I have large hands, and I love the feel of these grips.  JM is planning on a super-lightweight set of these grips which are not tapered but without the pocket for the Arrcos device.  When they are available, I'll switch over to them which should up my swing weights a bit.    

I love these clubs and it seems very likely that I'll never gravitate back to variable length.  Making the same swing with each club is a Godsend.  In terms of the wedges, despite all the noise about not being to use them well, my experience as a tall guy has been just the opposite.  For the first time, I don't have to reach way down to hit a chip or pitch, and can make a miniature version of my full swing.  These wedges have literally knocked 2 to 3 strokes off my typical score with many many fewer skull/chunk errors that had plagued me as my nerves aged.  They are also great out of bunkers, something we have plenty of in coastal Scotland links golf.  

I urge anyone who is thinking of these, particularly taller guys, to give a set a try.  As others have said, very few sets are returned so they are hard to find in the used market.  If you don't like them, you should be able to get rid of them easily.  I would also caution people to buy Cobra or Edel (much more expensive and bespoke) so that you get the required engineering.  I'm sure there are people out there who decided to make their own OL set by putting 7-iron shafts into an old iron set.  This will NOT do the job, and will lead to much frustration and unhappiness--undoubtedly the source of some of the naysaying.   One of these days, I may go completely wild, and when in Texas drive myself up for a fitting of a custom set of Edel OL irons.  They are pricey, but as my neighbour says, "I've never seen a trailer on the back of a hearse."  

Cheers.

• Like 4

taking the F8 OL irons to the driving range today for some testing. From previous experience I struggled launching the 5 iron with 22.5 loft. When I was living in Oregon I didn't mind it as much, as it was a sneaky good "out from under the trees club." But here in Phoenix it just had issues holding firm greens, and didnt carry much more than my 6 iron. But now I am a playing a 23 degree hybrid and would start this set out at the 25.5 degree 6 iron.  I also remember having some distance control issues on partial shots with the GW, but I think I will look the drop the OL after PW. 

Also does anyone knows Brysons iron lofts?

We know he is playing a 47* GW. His highest lofted wood is at 13.5*

The stock specs on his irons would be:

SZ 4: 19.5

SZ 5: 22

6: 29 

7: 33 

8: 37 

9: 41

PW: 45

So with the stock specs, working back his PW is too close to the GW, so I'm sure it playing strong at closer to 42-44*. And his 4 iron might need to be stronger as a 13.5 wood to a 19.5 iron has to have a massive gap at his speed especially. Then you obviously have a huge gap between the 6 and 5 iron in the stock specs that are surely different.

So is he playing with an ultra loft jacked set like this?

4: 17

5: 21

6: 25

7: 29

8: 33

9: 38

PW: 43

I don't understand why people are calling single length a "gimmick". How is playing your iron set at the same length any different from playing your irons +1" or -1/2", it's just the length of a golf club. What's "gimmicky" about changing a club's length?

Also, he just won the US Open with this method. Can't get much better verification than that...

I personally don't think anything that enables people to play better golf and shoot lower scores is a gimmick. I don't care if you have a full bag of single-length Square Strike wedges if it made you play good golf lol

• Like 1

I tried and failed earlier this summer.  Bought a set of Cobra Forged One Length (same heads BD plays, I believe) with KBS Tour stiffs.  I'm a 98-100mph driver guy, hit a 7 iron about 160.  I couldn't hit the one lengths to save my life.  I don't know if there was some adjustment I needed to make or what, but it was ugly shot after ugly shot, and they felt terrible.  I gave up after 3-4 range sessions and 3-4 rounds after seeing nothing encouraging.  Went back to my Apex/Apex Pro combo set.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond/Mitsubishi Pro White Tensei 1k

Callaway Epic Speed 3w

Honma TR21 5w
Callaway Rogue JDM 21 & 24 hybrids

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-AW

Callaway MD5 52/Full-Toe 58

Odyssey O-works #7s

40 minutes ago, scooterhd2 said:

Also does anyone knows Brysons iron lofts?

We know he is playing a 47* GW. His highest lofted wood is at 13.5*

The stock specs on his irons would be:

SZ 4: 19.5

SZ 5: 22

6: 29 

7: 33 

8: 37 

9: 41

PW: 45

So with the stock specs, working back his PW is too close to the GW, so I'm sure it playing strong at closer to 42-44*. And his 4 iron might need to be stronger as a 13.5 wood to a 19.5 iron has to have a massive gap at his speed especially. Then you obviously have a huge gap between the 6 and 5 iron in the stock specs that are surely different.

So is he playing with an ultra loft jacked set like this?

4: 17

5: 21

6: 25

7: 29

8: 33

9: 38

PW: 43

It's in a story on the WRX home page, "inside the bag of Bryson DeChambeau."  His lofts are pretty jacked.

• 4i @ 18°
  • 5i @ 22°
  • 6i @ 25°
  • 7i @ 29°
  •  8i @ 33°
  • 9i @ 37°
  • P @ 42°
  • G @ 47° (A
  • S @ 52°
  • L @ 58°

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, Rogue Black 75X -or- TM Stage 2 Tour 3w, NV105 X -or- TEE E8 Beta 12*, Rogue Silver 70X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S -or- TEE CBX 17*, HZRDUS 85 6.0

2 iron:  Arias D-23, Modus3 120 S; Mizuno MP-20 HMB, NS Pro 950 R

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; testing: Arias D-23 5i w/Modus 120 S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3), Wilson Triad

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

38 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

It's in a story on the WRX home page, "inside the bag of Bryson DeChambeau."  His lofts are pretty jacked.

• 4i @ 18°
  • 5i @ 22°
  • 6i @ 25°
  • 7i @ 29°
  •  8i @ 33°
  • 9i @ 37°
  • P @ 42°
  • G @ 47° (A
  • S @ 52°
  • L @ 58°

Nice find. I was pretty close. I guess in a OL set you care even less about the number stamped on the head since the irons have the same length and lie. It really is just a matter of loft, and obviously some of the construction of the head to help with launch and spin windows. 

5 hours ago, scooterhd2 said:

Well, his irons aren't just upright, they're 72 degrees. That's 8 degrees more upright than most pitching wedges. IMHO that might be a big reason for his effectiveness out of the rough, even given his strength.

I'm barely 5'8" and my normal flat swing is pitiful out of the rough. I have a set of Pinhawk heads that I fooled with last winter in AZ with limited success. But we're headed back and I have some ideas. One being playing them at shorter length

I play one length irons and honestly score very similarly with those to variable length irons. 

I hit variable length slightly longer, I have tested on trackman and it is very slight until you get to at least a 4 iron everything else is identical distance. 

I get less truly bad shots with single length i'm just more accurate, more prone to practice wedges, and more consistent. 

I'm currently playing OL and I'm a 2.7-3.7 index. 

• Like 3

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

2 hours ago, ken1putt said:

Well, his irons aren't just upright, they're 72 degrees. That's 8 degrees more upright than most pitching wedges. IMHO that might be a big reason for his effectiveness out of the rough, even given his strength.

I'm barely 5'8" and my normal flat swing is pitiful out of the rough. I have a set of Pinhawk heads that I fooled with last winter in AZ with limited success. But we're headed back and I have some ideas. One being playing them at shorter length

He doesn't play his irons at 72 degrees anymore, they are more like 4 up now I believe. 

• Like 1

WITB: 

Aerojet 10.5 Ventus 7S

Cobra Tec 17, 21, 24 hybrids

New Level 623 CB 5-PW

Mizuno S23 52, 56, 60

I've played F8 OL for two seasons. No big difference in scoring. A fitting showed I lack the speed to take advantage of long irons and hybrids if they are 7i length only with low lofts. 

Moved back to traditional this season and scoring has improved. Hitting long irons much better (higher and longer), while short irons and wedges took a bit to get used to again. 

Even if you go 4-PW in one length, you still will have 50% of your bag in variable length with the need to adjust. Maybe better to have a smooth transition from top end to low end of the bag? Also, do you really want to swing a 4i the same as your PW? The corresponding shots required are likely to be very different. 

My bottom line is don't expect miracles. They might help you or not. I actually think they'll work best for good players with a lot of speed, but those are the ones who don't really need them for consistency's sake. 

SD

Edited by SteelyDan
  • Like 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym X w/ HZRDUS Silver 50 5.5
5W: Callaway Mavrik Max w/ Riptide 60 5.5
5i: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3 

6i-GW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal Pro w/ Recoil ESX 460 F3
52*: Mizuno S23 S-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
58*: Mizuno S23 D-Grind w/ Nippon Pro Modus 3 105 
Putter: Yes! Hannah

On 9/21/2020 at 7:03 AM, disco111 said:

Since DeSham won the Open in convincing style, is anyone thinking of re-trying SL irons and/or if you never tried them, thinking about giving them a go? 

I don't even think of him as the guy playing SL irons anymore. In fact, until it got brought up again after he won, I had completely forgot that he did. The beefed up hit it long version of Bryson has overtaken the SL irons Bryson. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, branson87 said:

I’ve always been interested in trying them, but not cobras. Theirs are too long. I don’t love hitting a 6 iron so why would I want all my clubs that length. Makes sense for taller people imo where it’s a 7 or more so an 8 iron length for them. I would try wishons 

Cobras are based on 7 iron length, not 6 iron.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, bladehunter said:

I can see that.  But I suspect the tall guys are the exception.  We’re born either crouching way over to play a wedge or lengthening them.  I can’t get down to hit full shots with a off the rack lob wedge. I mean can’t be done.  Not with any consistency.  Which is why I’m curious.  I’m a 0.7 index at the moment and the idea doesn’t scare me.

How tall are you ?

I played a round of golf with 6'4" Dan Forsman. His address posture includes lots of hip/waist bend so that his shoulders/arms are well out in front of his feet.

The late George Archer was 6'5" and his posture was to have a pronounced knee bend at address. 

So, two tall players who used different address posture techniques to get down to the ball.

I talked to 6'7" Phil Blackmar about this subject and he did not advocate using longer than standard length clubs, but instead to do as either Forsman or Archer did, which is find an address posture that works well with standard length clubs. Blackmar did not like like over length wedges or irons because they become too heavy, which is counterproductive.

My belief is that most tall players are best served by adopting a posture relatively close to the ball, bending slightly from the hips (thereby creating space for the path of the arms-hands), and then the final part of the process is flexing the knees a bit to get the club head down to the ground, behind the ball. Tiger is 6'1", so not extremely tall, but this is the address posture method he used , especially during his teenage and earl pro career years. 6'3" Davis Love uses the same method, which is textbook.

I like the Tiger-DLIII posture because it keeps the upper body relatively vertical, from which making a backswing body turn-pivot relatively level and  easy.

The tall players who bend a great deal from the hips-waist, such as Forsman or 6'2" Keegan Bradley, are set up to make more of a vertical shoulder turn, which is less natural to the body and can promote more of an "arms swing" than a true body turn-pivot.

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

On 9/21/2020 at 10:16 AM, Loki said:

No, but I think more of his success is due to the arm lock than single length clubs.

Yeah, he actually was seventh for the week in driving distance. Rory and 5 others outdrove him. And single length to me is a disadvantage in short irons for most players. 

The putting is a massive difference. Using armlock, he is making 91 percent of his putts from 10 feet and in, which is an incredible number. It’s a legal form of anchoring — I think it is more anchored than using the chest — and it works. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

25 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

And single length to me is a disadvantage in short irons for most players. 

The way Bryson made short work of the US Open's rough will have a lot of people, including pros, reconsidering one length. IMO, a more upright back position promotes a faster swing speed based on the observation that most pro don't swing their short irons as fast as their longer irons. Looking at the Trackman PGA stats and I would say that Bryson's velocity with his wedges is probably 15 mph more than the tour average, and that couple with a steep enough angle on incidence made his technique successful. This 15 mph additional speed generates an exponentially increase in clubhead energy(not linear). However, at some point a flatter angle would override the clubhead speed advantage. I think Byson has found the optimum combination.

Notes: