“Winter is coming.”

Playing up in New England (Maine), you need to be prepared for the cold fall mornings that change to 70 deg by noon.

What kind of equipment changes (if any) do you make when in the cold? Played our first round in “cold” this weekend, teed off at 6:45 and 42 deg. We all noticed about 10 yds of difference and by the end of the round we were about back to normal yardages. Ball felt as hard as a rock early on!  Looking forward to our first snow round!

Edited by Foreright6
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Switch to cheaper/softer golf balls. Main reason is tend to lose more and no point losing a $5 ball in soft ground or under leaves when you walk over it 15x.  

Also swinging in many layers isn't as good. Kinda hate playing bundled up but kinda hate not playing more. 

You guys that keep your balls in your pocket are better men than I am. ?

Posted Images

Having played a lot of winter golf out west in 40 degree weather I think the most important thing is don’t leave your golf balls in your car overnight. Warm golf balls fly further than cold ones. On occasion I would alternate balls between holes from in play to in my pocket trying to keep the balls warm. 

1 minute ago, Isaac_Newton said:

Having played a lot of winter golf out west in 40 degree weather I think the most important thing is don’t leave your golf balls in your car overnight. Warm golf balls fly further than cold ones. On occasion I would alternate balls between holes from in play to in my pocket trying to keep the balls warm. 

I always alternate golf balls when the weather gets cooler, I think I read it in Golf Digest when I was a kid.  

• Like 1

Switch to cheaper/softer golf balls. Main reason is tend to lose more and no point losing a $5 ball in soft ground or under leaves when you walk over it 15x.  

• Like 2

Lefty WITB

Driver: 9° Ping G410 Plus - Tour 65S

3W: 13.5° Ping G410 LST - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 75X

3H: 19° Ping - Tensei CK Pro Orange 90TX

Irons: 4i - 7i Srixon 585 / 8i - PW Srixon 785 - AMT Tour White S300

Wedges: 51° MD3 - 56° Glide 2 - 60° PM2

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

I'm in northern central Ontario and often play into the second week of November before the courses close, temperatures sometimes as low as 1°C .

As said before, keep a ball or two in your pocket to keep them warm and switch out every couple holes. Having lower compression balls also helps, especially since they tend to disappear in softer ground if you miss the short grass.

Also, remember that the colder weather affects you on two fronts: ball compression and air density. When the temperature gets down around freezing, it can be nearly a two club difference from summer behaviour as far as carry distance goes.

Clothing-wise, I usually just wear a long-sleeved t-shirt under a golf shirt, with maybe a vest if the wind is biting. With really cold weather or rain, I have a light jacket that stays in my golf bag. Recently switched to always wearing golf pants because I don't have to apply sunscreen in the summer and modern wicking fabrics feel the same as shorts with respect to temperature but are warmer in late fall.

Good luck.

Edited by Bubbtubbs
Just now, Bubbtubbs said:

I'm in northern central Ontario and often play into the second week of November before the courses close, temperatures sometimes as low as 1°C .

As said before, keep a ball or two in your pocket to keep them warm and switch out every couple holes. Having lower compression balls also helps, especially since they tend to disappear in softer ground if you miss the short grass.

Also, remember that the colder weather affects you on two fronts: ball compression and air density. When the temperature gets down around freezing, it can be nearly a two club difference from summer behaviour as far as carry distance goes 

Good luck.

Also swinging in many layers isn't as good. Kinda hate playing bundled up but kinda hate not playing more. 

• Like 2

Lefty WITB

Putter(s): TP Mills Handmade - SIK Pro Tour Proto - MannKrafted MA/66 LN - and more. 

1 minute ago, MattM97 said:

Agreed. I did finish editing my post to talk about clothing just moments after you replied.

I usually err on the side of being underdressed with options to add if it's too frigid out and I'm tensing up. Really hate swinging in a jacket, though, so I try to avoid it if I can.

Just now, Bubbtubbs said:

Agreed. I did finish editing my post to talk about clothing just moments after you replied.

I usually err on the side of being underdressed with options to add if it's too frigid out and I'm tensing up. Really hate swinging in a jacket, though, so I try to avoid it if I can.

Yeah I'll try and play until courses close but gonna be doing more simulator golf. I know a lot don't like it but reps vs no reps for how long the off season is in Canada is huge for playing good golf when the season starts again. 

• Like 1

Lefty WITB

The weather in my area is reasonable for golf year round, although some years February can be pretty raw. I just wear more clothing layers and maybe toss a handwarmer in each pocket on the coolest days. If the wind chill is below 40-ish I just wait for a warmer day to come around. Other than that, it's golf as usual during the winter. A cool day in January is easier to deal with than the heat in August, for me.

Play later in day. 

• Like 1

Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 set to 9.5
3 Wood Epic Flash set to 16 degrees
3-5 Hybrids Epic Flash 18 20 23 degrees
6 hybrid Big Bertha 26 degree 
7-AW Callaway Mavrik Irons 
50 degree GW Vokey SM7
56 degree SW Vokey SM7
Odyssey White Hot V-Line Fang

I also play less expensive balls in the fall here in MN.   Once the leaves fall it’s easy to lose a ball right in the middle of the fairway.  I tend to play lower compression balls in the cold.  The slight loss of distance is more tolerable than losing a PV1 or TP5x right out of the sleeve in the middle of the fairway because it is buried under a leaf......

TaylorMade SIM 10.5*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
TaylorMade SIM Max 3W 15*, HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g 6.5
Titleist 818H1 21*, Tensei Pro White 90S
Taylormade P770 4-PW, KBS Tour 120 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50F, 54S, 58M

TaylorMade Spider X
SM 4.5LS 14 Way

I broke down and picked up a feather balloon vest for cooler days. The pros wear them! Also will be using thin wool socks as well. Any suggestions for a good beanie??

Edited by platgof

another day, and a different game shows up

Ping Max 10.5

Cobra F9 5,7 wds

RBZ 4,5 hybrids

G700 5-AW irons

MD5 54 10S

Toulon Columbus

Maxfli Tour

Lower compression balls and take more club.

• Like 1

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

Best cold weather piece of clothing you can get are the lines sweaters. Can wear those as winter coats that stay so warm and do not require a bunch of layers. 

walking helps a ton. Keeps your legs and back lose, temp up, etc. last year I walked 18 in my lined sweater at 45*.  Got home and as drenched in sweat. Had no idea, plenty warm every step of the way. 

Hogan has been credited as the one who would keep hot hands (today’s name brand) in his pocket with a golf ball to help with distance. 

Edited by Stetson

Driver: Ping G410 LST (Diamana ZF)
5w:  Titleist TS2 (Ventus Blue)
3H: Titleist 818 H2 (Ventus Blue HB)
or 3i: Cobra King Utility 21* (Tour AD DI)
4-P: PXG 0311T (KBS $-Taper)
Wedges: 51* Edel TRP, 55* Edel DVR, 60* Cally MD5
Putter: PXG Mini Gunboat H

?

• Haha 1

RomaRo 435LX 10*-Quadra FEX 65SX 

PRGR Egg HD 14.5*-Fubuki 75S 3W
PRGR EGG 20* - M-43S 7 wood

RomaRo iBrid 2 22* - Crazy Hybrid 

Miura PP9003SN 5-G - Modus 125S 

Miura HB12 @ 55* - Modus 125 W

2015 PM Grind 60* - KBS Tour V

Axis1 Rose - Garsen Quad Tour grip

16 hours ago, Asics10 said:

1.)Bring your whole bag in overnight, keep all the sticks and balls warm.  2.)Play later in the day, tell your wife you'll be late to the stupid 2:00 kid party

3.) buy a mizuno windlite or two

Lol @ #2

put handwarmers in the ball pocket of your bag. keeps them toasty. alternate balls every hole. 

Switch to a yellow ball once the leaves have fallen off. 

PING G410+ 9* TPO 60S

Adams XTD 17* Fubuki 

Callaway Apex 20* AD DI 85s

Callaway Apex 23* OBAN Kiyoshi Purple

5-6 Srixon Z585 Modus 120S

7-PW Srixon Z785 Modus 120S

52 Ping Glide 3.0

56 and 60, TM Hi Toe

EVNROLL ER3

On 9/21/2020 at 8:04 PM, Isaac_Newton said:

Trying to keep the balls warm sounds like a great idea!

Joking aside, a good vest and fleece layer maintain your range of motion and keep the core warm- the most important thing. I like the Bridgestone Extra Soft balls in the winter, too. And I avoid blades, mishits sting especially bad when it’s colder...

I guess this is where real wrx comes out as well and having a second set of woods for silly season weather.  I don't play my gamer woods/hybrids below 8* really.  I've cracked a couple drivers years ago in cold weather, so not doing that again.  And it's not like you can get really serious in the shoulder seasons given you can lose a ball in the fairway to plugging or leaves...

SM 3.5 Bag:

TM Sim 10.5* w/ Ventus Black 6x Velocore

TM Sim 14* w/ Kai'Li 80X

Titleist TS3 19* w/ T1100 S

Ping I210 4-UW w/ Rifle 6.5 SSx1

Ping Glide 2.0 54 SS & 58 TS

Odyssey Tank Cruiser 

I typically play right through the winter, if there's no snow on the ground in the Boston area.  Limited courses are open but you can play down  into the 20's as long as you layer up your clothing correctly, play a softer yellow ball and bring some hand warmers.  Very quiet and peaceful and you can have some fun with the crazy bounces, etc. you'll find on the course. It's more about your swing than it is about scoring as it gets colder.  Hearing that we'll have a mild winter which is always good for golf too.

• Like 1
On 9/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, Foreright6 said:

Playing up in New England (Maine), you need to be prepared for the cold fall mornings that change to 70 deg by noon.

What kind of equipment changes (if any) do you make when in the cold? Played our first round in “cold” this weekend, teed off at 6:45 and 42 deg. We all noticed about 10 yds of difference and by the end of the round we were about back to normal yardages. Ball felt as hard as a rock early on!  Looking forward to our first snow round!

IMOP the ball , the wilson duo best cold weather ball out there 

SIM 8* AD TP 7tx 1.25" 
SIM 15* ADDI 90x tipped 2"
Titleist 2i 19.5* T-MB AD DI 105x (Tipped 2.5”)  Sans 2i R15 5w Fit on Pro 95XX (tipped 2.5”)
Titleist MB 620 3-PW (48* PW) Tour Issue X100s (HSx1) -1* Weak loft -2* flat 620mb specs 
TMAG MG2 52(@53*) SB 10* , 58(@59*) LB 9* bounce  - Tour Issue S400 (62* Lie angle) 
Piretti Potenza Sight Dot 365g |Bettinardi BB8 Trisole bare 348g | or Toulon San Diego Sight Line  - 68* Lie angle 2* of loft 
All woods & 2i hot melted, GP Tour Velvet . 580 Ping Hoofer 

Equipment wise for me my driving iron is left at home. There is no run in the fairways so carry is king and that is much easier with a hybrid. My wedges also get taken out of the bag and an older set gets popped in there. No sense in wearing out newer grooves when the ball drops and stops regardless. The past however many years, I have kept using the same ball but I may switch out this year and give something softer a go.

Beyond that, clothing wise - three layers on most days, four on the really cold days and if it’s any colder than that, I am not playing. We are relatively lucky here in that most courses don’t close down during the winter months but we will have to get used to winter tees most days, winter greens when it is really cold or has frosted and you either play from mats in the fairway or kick to the side and playing from the semi rough which in fairness is cut down pretty low.

Titleist TS3 8.5 Stiff Diamana D+
Titleist 915Fd 15 Stiff Rogue Black 
Titleist 915Hd 17.5 Stiff Diamana S+
Titleist T100 4-PW Stiff Project X LZ
Titleist Vokey SM6 50.08 & 54.10
Titlesist Vokey SM7 60.04
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1x 2019

Put a couple balls in each pocket with hand warmers.

1285928214_handwarmers.JPG.a037ff21feaf08a5aa9ecfdff95f3383.JPG

• Like 1

M2 or M3 or M4 or ... M5 or SIM
Some driving iron for Links courses
Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s or Callys 
A Vokey wedge or 2 or 3
I love/hate every one of my 17 putters

23 hours ago, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

Trying to keep the balls warm sounds like a great idea!

Joking aside, a good vest and fleece layer maintain your range of motion and keep the core warm- the most important thing. I like the Bridgestone Extra Soft balls in the winter, too. And I avoid blades, mishits sting especially bad when it’s colder...

I still play my irons in the cold. '94 Hogan Apex blades, 4-P

• Like 1

QStar Tours are excellent winter balls.

Callaway B21 10.5° - Fuji Speeder 569 IV

Callaway B21 3W - Fuji Speeder 661 IV

Mizuno JPX 900 5W - Fuji Speeder 661 II

Mizuno MP32 (4-PW) - DG S300

Titleist Vokey SM5 52°/12° F Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 58°/11° K Grind 

Titleist Vokey SM5 62°/8° T Grind 

Titleist Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2