Apex vs. Apex Pro... Similarities and Differences

wpduck

I am in the process of searching for a set of Callaway Apex 19 irons with Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts. They are difficult to find, and I have thought about considering and have been offered an Apex 19 Combo set (4-7 are Apex 19s and 8-AW are Apex Pro 19s) with that shaft. I have hit the Apex 19s and am very comfortable in getting these, but I have not had the chance to hit the Apex Pro, so I am very hesitant. My main question is for those who have hit both or have a combo set, what are the similarities and differences? How much harder are the Pros to hit? Is the technology in each similar enough so they go similar and consistent distances and ball flights? Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!  

So, please take my info with a grain of salt, as I am going through a lot with my swing and have only been back playing for about 2.5 months now.  

I have both sets (bought used here, one with Ctaper 130X and one with Modus 3 130X).  The feel really isn't that different: the Apex will have a little more feel on mis-hits and the Pro lets you know it, just like the cavity backed blade type it is.  

Distance: I have the Pro dot (weaker lofts) and the Apex is fairly strong: I would say + 5 yards compared to my Mizuno MMC.  The Pro dot is about 5 yards weaker than the MMC-10 yards vs the Apex.  Does this matter?  No, not really.  The Apex Dot for me is about 170-175 on a good swing 7-iron (92mph swing speed) whereas the MMC is 175-180 and the Apex usually flies 180+. I have carried it well over 190.  

Accuracy: I couldn't tell a difference, but I am not quite at a point to do so.  My misses are bad misses (think 50 yards short) and no club is saving me there.  The most consistent club I have is the MMC, but that could be due to the shafts too (DG 120 100x).  They both go straight when hit well.  If you have a good swing, you have a good swing: I haven't found an appreciable difference in any of these top-end irons.  Any issues are user error, not equipment error.  

I did find on a monitor that the Pro dot gets the nod with spin. MMC is close behind. Apex has a lot less spin.  Depending on your game, that may or may not matter.   Yesterday I played the MMC and I had backspin on every long iron green hit.  It was great to see a 175 yard 7-iron stop and spin back a couple of feet on a pretty tight pin placement.  

Again, this is coming from someone who is capable of hitting 2/3 of GIR from back tees but also susceptible to bad mistakes and shooting 100.   I have had enough well-struck balls with these to know they are all very good clubs.  The Mizuno feels the best however; striking that well is like listening to an uplifting part of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".  

53 minutes ago, wpduck said:

I am in the process of searching for a set of Callaway Apex 19 irons with Nippon Modus3 Tour 105 stiff shafts. They are difficult to find, and I have thought about considering and have been offered an Apex 19 Combo set (4-7 are Apex 19s and 8-AW are Apex Pro 19s) with that shaft. I have hit the Apex 19s and am very comfortable in getting these, but I have not had the chance to hit the Apex Pro, so I am very hesitant. My main question is for those who have hit both or have a combo set, what are the similarities and differences? How much harder are the Pros to hit? Is the technology in each similar enough so they go similar and consistent distances and ball flights? Any thoughts and ideas are greatly appreciated!  

I have owned both, at the same time.  Actually I bought the Apex Pro 19s first and then decided to tinker.  It's in my nature.  I started picking up some used Apex CF19 individual irons on CPO to create my own mixed set.  I actually completed the set and eventually sold them on eBay.  As far as playing the Apex 19 felt almost as good as the Pros.  Just a little more of a click sound and a tiny bit firmer feel.  However, they were very playable for me.

The Apex Pros 19 are actually relatively forgiving.  The Apex CF19 may be marginally more forgiving.  I did a re-shaft on the Apex CF19 with KBS Tours (R+) and liked that combo in them.  I had the Apex Pro 19s reshafted as well and had the Nippon Modus 105s in them in stiff.

Do the pros have cup face? I assume not because none of the sides where the Forged have CF'19 from 4-7i say that,  only have '19 on hosel on all clubs.  

Driver: PXG 0811x 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 Evolution IV 
Irons: Mizuno 921 Forged 4-PW, Recoils 95 F4*
Hybrids: PXG 0317X 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: Ping Vault 2.0 Ketcsh (solid black)  
Bag: Mizuno K1-LO white/staff blue (something new is coming, cant decide.)
Ball: Titleist Pro V1, Snell MTB-X, Maxfli Tour

10 hours ago, Dawgdude said:

So, please take my info with a grain of salt, as I am going through a lot with my swing and have only been back playing for about 2.5 months now.  

I have both sets (bought used here, one with Ctaper 130X and one with Modus 3 130X).  The feel really isn't that different: the Apex will have a little more feel on mis-hits and the Pro lets you know it, just like the cavity backed blade type it is.  

Distance: I have the Pro dot (weaker lofts) and the Apex is fairly strong: I would say + 5 yards compared to my Mizuno MMC.  The Pro dot is about 5 yards weaker than the MMC-10 yards vs the Apex.  Does this matter?  No, not really.  The Apex Dot for me is about 170-175 on a good swing 7-iron (92mph swing speed) whereas the MMC is 175-180 and the Apex usually flies 180+. I have carried it well over 190.  

Accuracy: I couldn't tell a difference, but I am not quite at a point to do so.  My misses are bad misses (think 50 yards short) and no club is saving me there.  The most consistent club I have is the MMC, but that could be due to the shafts too (DG 120 100x).  They both go straight when hit well.  If you have a good swing, you have a good swing: I haven't found an appreciable difference in any of these top-end irons.  Any issues are user error, not equipment error.  

I did find on a monitor that the Pro dot gets the nod with spin. MMC is close behind. Apex has a lot less spin.  Depending on your game, that may or may not matter.   Yesterday I played the MMC and I had backspin on every long iron green hit.  It was great to see a 175 yard 7-iron stop and spin back a couple of feet on a pretty tight pin placement.  

Again, this is coming from someone who is capable of hitting 2/3 of GIR from back tees but also susceptible to bad mistakes and shooting 100.   I have had enough well-struck balls with these to know they are all very good clubs.  The Mizuno feels the best however; striking that well is like listening to an uplifting part of Vivaldi's "Four Seasons".  

Thank you DawgDude! I think I got the main ideas you are trying to make and that helps solidify my thinking. 

10 hours ago, jimb said:

I have owned both, at the same time.  Actually I bought the Apex Pro 19s first and then decided to tinker.  It's in my nature.  I started picking up some used Apex CF19 individual irons on CPO to create my own mixed set.  I actually completed the set and eventually sold them on eBay.  As far as playing the Apex 19 felt almost as good as the Pros.  Just a little more of a click sound and a tiny bit firmer feel.  However, they were very playable for me.

The Apex Pros 19 are actually relatively forgiving.  The Apex CF19 may be marginally more forgiving.  I did a re-shaft on the Apex CF19 with KBS Tours (R+) and liked that combo in them.  I had the Apex Pro 19s reshafted as well and had the Nippon Modus 105s in them in stiff.

Thank you for your reply jimb! Your thoughts should help me make my decision. How do you like the Pros with the Nippon 105s in them? 

I really wanted a combo set thinking the pros wouldn't be forgiving enough as they look kind of intimidating heel to toe.  Hit the  entire set yesterday as my buddy just got a new set this week and I was very surprised how forgiving the pros were.  The 4i was so smooth.  It looks great with a thin top line and hardly a smidge of offset.  Now, I hit off mats. I need to hit off grass before believing.  

I am very interested in these now but want a few more yards out of them.   I'm afraid to bend them strong and ruin the turf interaction.  

11 hours ago, wpduck said:

Thank you for your reply jimb! Your thoughts should help me make my decision. How do you like the Pros with the Nippon 105s in them? 

Honestly, I do better with the mid weight shaft.  I have better timing with them so the Modus 120 works better for me.  That said, the 105 was a very smooth feeling shaft.  I does fly a little higher than the 120 version.  If you like a lighter weight shaft they are a great choice.

11 hours ago, wpduck said:

Thank you DawgDude! I think I got the main ideas you are trying to make and that helps solidify my thinking. 

Sure, no problem. I actually just ordered a set of Apex Pro (not Dot though) from Callaway pre-owned. I want to see if the Catalyst 6.5X 100 shaft is right for me.  I had a great experience hitting recoils but they were way too light and had way too much height on the ball.  I like the idea of graphite shafts and given the technology and engineering that can be loaded into composites these days, I am shocked that more/most shafts aren't graphite.  

What is "dot"? Less loft? 

id want a degree strong, I think. 

There are two different Apex Pros, one without dot and one with dot. With dot, they’re Tour performance without cup face.  Apex Combo have 8-PW Apex Pro with strong lofts to match Apex 7 -4 ( no dots).

APEX pro sets are retro loft.

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrick 10.5 GD Tour AD IZ 6 S

Callaway Epic Flash 16* GD Tour AD DI 6 S

Callaway Epic Flash Hybrid 18* Recoil  F4

Callaway Apex 19 4 iron Steelfiber fc90 S

Callaway Rogue Pro 5 -PW Recoil ES 780 F4

Ping i210 U Wedge 48* DG 105 S

Callaway PM Grind 19 Black 54* Steelfiber fc115cw S

Callaway PM Grind 19 Black 60* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Scotty Cameron Select Square Back 34 Putter

Yellow ProV1 & ProV1X