More forgiving FORGED head than JPX 921 forged?

ateupwithgolf

Can someone point me to a head that is more forgiving than the 921 forged that is still forged?

Currently hit JPX 800 pro/GS95 S, Mizuno optimizer recs modus 105x. Quality strikes check all boxes on spin, descent angle, etc, height could be a little better however.  Thinking I need more forgiveness.

Mizuno 919 or 921 Hot Metal Pro are forgiving and long! Feels really soft with Modus3 105 or 120!

You can find good price on 919 HMP set! I got mine from 2nd Swing for 650.00 new set!

Callaway Apex 19 are really forgiving for forged . If you re low handicap, go for Apex combo.

Edited by Phil Major
  • Like 1

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

Total outliers:

Maltby PTM

Maltby TE 

Dude, just order one of each. PTM lofted more like Forged. TE is old school lofts. I've owned a ton of irons and these are as good as anything. In the past 12 mos. I've OWNED 585,785, 0311 GEN3, P790, 919 Forged, T200, i500 and what I'm telling you is going to save you thousands. DO IT! 

• Like 1

If you want an iron that is truly forged versus one that cleverly says ‘Forged’ on the chassis only, that’s a different list. A lot of these clubs being listed are fake forged —- forged body with a laser-welded steel face. It’s just marketing. They stamp forged on the particular part of the head that is forged because they know it helps sales. The face is not forged, it is an inserted thin face to add ballspeed. To make contact with the forged part, you’d have to hit the ball with the back of the club. 

So don’t expect forged feel or sound from clubs like the standard Apex or Srixon 5xx series. Some cast clubs feel better than those IMO, especially Pings, which is one reason I don’t worry about forged vs cast. 

Hit a Srixon 585 and a 785 side by side and you’ll feel the difference. All the Hot Metals are nice, but none of those are forged. 

The 921F really is forged though it pays a bit of a price in feel with the back-milled internal cavity. A cast Ping s55 feels better to me. The Maltby clubs listed are true forged irons and are a nice value. May also want to look at New Level irons. Several forgiving options, all legitmately forged. 

• Like 3

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

30 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

If you want an iron that is truly forged versus one that cleverly says ‘Forged’ on the chassis only, that’s a different list. A lot of these clubs being listed are fake forged —- forged body with a laser-welded steel face. It’s just marketing. They stamp forged on the particular part of the head that is forged because they know it helps sales. The face is not forged, it is an inserted thin face to add ballspeed. To make contact with the forged part, you’d have to hit the ball with the back of the club. 

So don’t expect forged feel or sound from clubs like the standard Apex or Srixon 5xx series. Some cast clubs feel better than those IMO, especially Pings, which is one reason I don’t worry about forged vs cast. 

Hit a Srixon 585 and a 785 side by side and you’ll feel the difference. All the Hot Metals are nice, but none of those are forged. 

The 921F really is forged though it pays a bit of a price in feel with the back-milled internal cavity. A cast Ping s55 feels better to me. The Maltby clubs listed are true forged irons and are a nice value. May also want to look at New Level irons. Several forgiving options, all legitmately forged. 

I'm looking for the feel I have of the JPX 800 pros i reckon, but added ball speed and more forgiveness. That might be the 921 forged, but I wasn't sold on it. It's hard for me to justify the cost of buying new 921 forged over what I have, but I lost my 6 and 7 iron in my current set (had them since 2011) and wanted to upgrade. I will look into the Maltby.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dmeeksDC said:

This is truth.  Well written. The fact is that you want something that feels good but is still forgiving. I think z585 felt a tad clicking. I was shocked how soft Cleveland UHX felt. If you want that butter, nothing there, feel, your going to have to find a true carbon steel pounded into shape club IMHO. 

PING G410 LST 9° Ping Tour 65 S

PING Tisi Tec 14° Fairway Aldila 350 S

Cobra Aerojet Hybrid 19° KBS PGI S

PING iCrossover 22° Ping Tour 85 S

Mizuno JPX 923 Pro 5-G DG 105 S

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 52° DG Spinner 115

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 58° DG Spinner 115

Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2.5

20 hours ago, ateupwithgolf said:

I'm looking for the feel I have of the JPX 800 pros i reckon, but added ball speed and more forgiveness. That might be the 921 forged, but I wasn't sold on it. It's hard for me to justify the cost of buying new 921 forged over what I have, but I lost my 6 and 7 iron in my current set (had them since 2011) and wanted to upgrade. I will look into the Maltby.

I hear ya. I liked the JPX pro series. I guess those became the 900/919/921 Forged lineup.

You should definitely look at New Level. Direct to consumer like Hogan and Sub70. Lots of forged options and a hollow head in the lineup for those long irons. Great prices.  The 902 is sneaky long too. Sub70 has an excellent lineup — the 699 Pro (cast, polymer filled) in a combo with the 639 CB (forged) could work for you. Also very affordable.

Another cost-effective method I prefer is to buy a generation behind or even two generations. Irons do not change all that much, the OEMs just want us to think they do. The JPX 900 Forged is the best of that

Mizuno bunch to me. I think it’s one of the all-time greats. May want to look at those. Thought they felt better and had a better leading edge than the two that came after them. Mizuno could not keep the blunted leading edge on the 919/921 because it would have been too close

to the milled internal cavity on those heads. 

Or look at the original TM770. All forged. Tungsten help in the long irons. Destined to be a TM classic. And then there is Bridgestone. Usually cheaper because they’re not as known. Great irons. The TourB CB is forged,’the Tour B CBP is a hot face that is more like the Hot Metal version. 

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

The only time forged vs. cast makes a difference is if the heads are designed exactly the same and that is because of the typical metals that are used for forging and the typical metals used for casting.

Head design has arguably a bigger impact on feel than the metal used does.  Forged isn't any softer than cast, it is just that no one casts 1020 or 1025 carbon which is softer than 8620, 431, 17-4, or other stainless.  So back when clubs had similar designs the misnomer came about that forged was softer, it wasn't then, and it isn't now.  Two identical clubheads and one forged from 8620 and one cast from 8620 will feel exactly the same.  This is proven and the test was with PGA tour players.  I know this is WRX where over half of the posters can tell a .25 CPM difference between shafts and the difference between different thicknesses of brands of tape with their three or four wraps.

So, with that out of the way, the OP is looking for a super soft feeling GI type of iron.   The Titleist T100 is soft by almost every account that I have seen, and when I tested I agree.  They have pretty decent ball speeds from what I have seen as well.  Depending upon the metal used and how the polymer is set and type of polymer some of those heads feel pretty good too.  For instance the P770 felt softer to me than the P790.  Two of the PXG heads feel horrible to me, the Cobra was so so, and the i500 felt like an aluminum baseball bat, it is the worst feeling Ping iron currently made, to me.  The 21 Forged didn't feel better than the 770 or the T100.  The 21 Tour did though.  Again, this is my interpretation of feel, since metal used, club head design, type and brand of shaft, and grip and thickness all play a part in feel when hitting a ball for almost everyone.

TBH honest most everyone interprets feel a bit differently, some strictly vibration, some via sound, and many even equate feel to ballflight, so the best bet is to go to a store and hit a bunch of irons with different shafts and determine what you think feels "soft" enough and still gives the performance you want.

• Like 2
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One