Chromesoft or AVX etc

Trying to find the best ball for me. Have used AVX and Chromesoft off and on and enjoy them both but would love some input. 

7 hdcp. I hit my driver about 230-40, and my 8 iron is my 150 club. I naturally hit the ball very high. 

My ideal ball is a low spin ball off the tee to maximize distance, but good spin around the green, and a soft feel off the putter face. Pipe dream, I know. 

I am able to keep my handicap where it is due to my short game and putting so that feel is important to me. 

however I can lose a TON of distance with a high spin ball off the tee due to my occasional fade/slice. 

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

just play the Snell MTB Black.....its the complete ball

I play both and for me the AVX feels a little firmer off the tee then the Chrome Soft  but still has great spin around the greens and approach shots. I switch back and forth still because I like the T

It's not an issue of CS inherently spinning too much off driver; no way anyone loses 20 yards from one ball to the next on equally well struck shots. Sorry, but what you're seeing is variance in strik

Similar issue here- our distances are about the same. I like them both and have gone back and forth. I have found the AVX to be a bit more consistent than chromesoft, so that is my very slight preference. 

The other ball I like is the Srixon Q star tour- not the panache of the other 2 but I do like that spinskin cover. Maybe give that a go if it cools off where you are (lower compression than AVX I believe).

I played the 2017(?) (or 2018) version of the Truvis Chrome Soft Yellow/Black for a couple of season and switched to AVX in late '18. Feel for the 2 balls was pretty similar with the AVX going a bit farther.

Surely was turned off by the out of balance cores we saw of the CS.

Been trying the new CST and it's really good (again). I've been trying the premium balls (Tour B), V1X, TP5X) for the last 10 weeks or so and have decided to go back to the Y/B Truvis.

Want more posters to read and reply ? "[EMBRACE] THE LINE BREAK"

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9.0 Tour AD TP-6 Stiff

Ping G400 hybrid, 19*, 70 gr Stock Stiff

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, 52, 60, DGS300

Vokey SM8 56/08 (Thanks WRX !!!)

Seemore MT7 Face Balanced (Today)

Chrome Soft Truvis Yellow/Black

On 9/21/2020 at 8:06 PM, Jsellers23 said:

Trying to find the best ball for me. Have used AVX and Chromesoft off and on and enjoy them both but would love some input. 

7 hdcp. I hit my driver about 230-40, and my 8 iron is my 150 club. I naturally hit the ball very high. 

My ideal ball is a low spin ball off the tee to maximize distance, but good spin around the green, and a soft feel off the putter face. Pipe dream, I know. 

I am able to keep my handicap where it is due to my short game and putting so that feel is important to me. 

however I can lose a TON of distance with a high spin ball off the tee due to my occasional fade/slice. 

any suggestions would be much appreciated!

TP5 or BXS both seem like they would be good fits. They don't spin much more of the driver, have lots of spin, and are on the softer side of premium balls. 

• 2 weeks later...

Having been in this exact situation, I find for me the AVX spins less off my driver, and feels good off my putter. Anything in between has been a toss up in performance across 4-5 different balls I have tried. I tried those balls over the course of 5 rounds each. It was not scientific by any means, but I found that I could expect the AVX to perform exactly the way I wanted it to when I put a good swing on it. Also, I did find that I could play any of those other balls and not be disappointed. The one factor that decided it for me was the lower spin off the driver which led to straighter and longer balls off the tee. As short as I hit it now, I need all the distance I can get. That is not to say I am giving up anything anywhere else from tee to green, but one or two of the other balls might have been just a bit better off the irons, or a bit more spin around the greens. I feel that the AVX has the best all around performance though.

Once again, your mileage may vary...

For the last year and half the AVX and Chromesoft have been my primary golf balls, occasionally would use Srixon Z-Star and Q-Star tours as well.  I found the Chromesoft about 5-7 yards longer on a well struck shot with my 5 iron and maybe 3-5 yards longer consistently with lower irons as well as higher ball flight.  Both feel good to me and both perform well.  However the last couple weeks I had been running low on both so I dipped into my half price stash of Z-Stars and it has made me re-think my choices.  The greenside control I had with chip shots has been phenomenal (not that I really noticed either the Chromesoft or AVX were bad at chipping)  I did lose a couple yards of distance overall but I am going to use the Z-Stars for now until something else shiny and new comes along.

• 2 weeks later...

Both of those balls are on complete different spectrums as far as soon goes. The avx being the low spin longer ball, the chrome soft being the spinniest golf ball I've ever tried to play (check txg reviews)

It all depends on what you are looking for. I'd sacrifice a couple hards of driver and iron distance to be able to put check on my wedges into greens. AVX is super low spin around the greens and will not work for my style of play. 

AVX for me, although I also play the Snell MTB-X as well.  Chromesoft spins way too much and I lose up to 20 yards with driver on a solid hit which isn't acceptable to me. 

TM SIM MAX 9* w/Ventus Black 7x

TM SIM 15* w/Ventus Blue 8x

TM Tour Issue Deep Face Ghost Proto 2 HB  w/Thump 105x

Vega VDC-01 4i w/Recoil Proto 125 F5

New Level 623-M 5-PW w/MMT 125 TX

54* Miura HB w/KBS 610 S+, 58* Miura w/KBS Tour Black

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1

Brother, youse guys got me all confused now.

CS spins "way too much" ?!?!?! :classic_ohmy:

I find both of these balls incredibly similar. I'm playing the CS now and I'm finding my drives in very similar places to the AVX.

I also find them both about the same in greenside spin and control on chips and pitches. Putting I find the CS ever-so-slightly more lively off the putter but still very close.

Same thing with impact "feel". Again very close.

Now I'm going to have to go into a LM booth with both balls and hit the driver and see for myself. I'd be very surprised if the spin rate was more than 200 rpms different on well hit drives which is negligible. Launch might be interesting though.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

It's not an issue of CS inherently spinning too much off driver; no way anyone loses 20 yards from one ball to the next on equally well struck shots. Sorry, but what you're seeing is variance in strike quality. NSX, you find the balls incredibly similar because that's exactly what they are. AVX was released so that Titleist could offer a product much like CS because CS was hurting their market share. The two balls are about as identical as it gets, so it's going to come down to which one you prefer for whatever reason you see fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

5 hours ago, bcflyguy1 said:

It's not an issue of CS inherently spinning too much off driver; no way anyone loses 20 yards from one ball to the next on equally well struck shots. Sorry, but what you're seeing is variance in strike quality. NSX, you find the balls incredibly similar because that's exactly what they are. AVX was released so that Titleist could offer a product much like CS because CS was hurting their market share. The two balls are about as identical as it gets, so it's going to come down to which one you prefer for whatever reason you see fit.

Trackman doesn't lie.  Next time I get to access to one and if I have the both balls available, I will put up numbers. 

3 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

Trackman doesn't lie.  Next time I get to access to one and if I have the both balls available, I will put up numbers. 

TrackMan doesn't lie, that's true. However, player inconsistencies most certainly do.

To be clear, very happy for you to play whatever ball you like and post all the TrackMan screen caps you like. Won't change the fact that such a large discrepancy in your results clearly show that what you're measuring is not a difference in performance of the two golf balls in question but rather differences in your delivery and strike quality.

Your results showed a difference of 20 yards. Independent robot testing showed driver carry distance for CS and AVX to be within a yard of each other. Player testing with a + handicap with a 120+ CHS showed 2020 CS and '19 ProV1 (which is faster/longer than AVX) to be within 5 yards of each other for both carry and total distance. Knowing that AVX is slower/shorter than ProV1 (which is well established), it's reasonable to assume that 2020 CS and AVX will perform VERY similarly as well.

Your results, while fine for you, are an outlier and not consistent with testing done with smaller/fewer variables. When you try to pass them off as anything other than an anomaly, it only muddies the water for everybody reading this thread.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

5 minutes ago, bcflyguy1 said:

TrackMan doesn't lie, that's true. However, player inconsistencies most certainly do.

To be clear, very happy for you to play whatever ball you like and post all the TrackMan screen caps you like. Won't change the fact that such a large discrepancy in your results clearly show that what you're measuring is not a difference in performance of the two golf balls in question but rather differences in your delivery and strike quality.

Your results showed a difference of 20 yards. Independent robot testing showed driver carry distance for CS and AVX to be within a yard of each other. Player testing with a + handicap with a 120+ CHS showed 2020 CS and '19 ProV1 (which is faster/longer than AVX) to be within 5 yards of each other for both carry and total distance. Knowing that AVX is slower/shorter than ProV1 (which is well established), it's reasonable to assume that 2020 CS and AVX will perform VERY similarly as well.

Your results, while fine for you, are an outlier and not consistent with testing done with smaller/fewer variables. When you try to pass them off as anything other than an anomaly, it only muddies the water for everybody reading this thread.

There will be variances as human golf swing is never the same every single time.  I want to make one thing clear.  I did say up to 20 yards short.  It wasn't a consistent pattern.  Most balls were 5-10 yards short which I should've mentioned so that was my mistake. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, phizzy30 said:

There will be variances as human golf swing is never the same every single time.  I want to make one thing clear.  I did say up to 20 yards short.  It wasn't a consistent pattern.  Most balls were 5-10 yards short which I should've mentioned so that was my mistake. 

If you do the test be sure to compare like-for-like.

i.e. your launch angle and ball speeds should be very close before you go comparing spin rates and overall carry distances.

Smash factor would help as well I guess to establish quality of contact.

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

1 minute ago, nsxguy said:

If you do the test be sure to compare like-for-like.

i.e. your launch angle and ball speeds should be very close before you go comparing spin rates and overall carry distances.

Smash factor would help as well I guess to establish quality of contact.

Yes of course.  I looked at my numbers and I only picked out the ones that had similar numbers.  The one that was 20 yards short was an anomaly.  Most were 5 to 10 yards short.  I realize that I should've worded it more carefully. 

Two very different balls.  AVX is a soft ball designed to launch lower and spin less on driver.  Although having a urethane cover, the iron spin and greenside spin will be significantly less than a chromesoft.

• Thanks 1

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 8.5° A-4 setting Graphite Design YS-6+stiff

Wood:  Titleist 980F 17° Aldila NV stiff

Hybrid: Titleist 909H 21° Aldila Voodoo stiff 

Irons:  Titleist 716 AP2 4- W  DG AMT S300

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7  54°,  58° DG S200

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot #1 Tour

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

14 minutes ago, phizzy30 said:

Yes of course.  I looked at my numbers and I only picked out the ones that had similar numbers.  The one that was 20 yards short was an anomaly.  Most were 5 to 10 yards short.  I realize that I should've worded it more carefully. 

I saw where you said that. It would still be interesting though - if you decide to do it. 👍

Ping G20, 5-PW, DGS300

my game is about the same except the hcp.

I play Snell MTB Black and Bstone B RX.  both long and straight off driver.  enough spin off iron.  excellent green side performance.  Here are the comparison between two balls.

MTB Black - Clickier feel, more spin with little backspin on green, higher trajectory

B RX - Softer feel, less spin with check & stop on green.  lower trajectory than MTB X.  the best wind fighter

I tried AVX, CS, Duo Pro, QST and many other balls but MTB Black and B RX fit my game the best for me.

The Callaway Chrome Soft has won me over from the Titleist Pro V1. The feel is terrific and the spin control around the green is superior. My fall/winter ball is the Callaway Hex Tour Soft. It’s a bargain price at Costco and has a similar feel to the Chrome Soft. It doesn’t produce the amount of spin control around the green as the Chrome Soft. 

Edited by Moonlightgrm
Typo
  • Like 1
8 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

Aren't we only talking about 2-500 revs between the Chromesoft and AVX (Driver thru Wedge)???

There's quite a noticeable difference in performance for woods when you add or subtract 500 rpm.  For irons, not so much. 

6 hours ago, phizzy30 said:

There's quite a noticeable difference in performance for woods when you add or subtract 500 rpm.  For irons, not so much. 

I went back and looked at the MyG*lfSpy ball test. With driver they listed approx 200 rpm differences between the Chromesoft and AVX. 500rpm differences between Chromesoft and AVX with the wedges. Should have been clearer.

d: Mavrik | f: Rogue Sub Zero | h1: X Hot | h2: CLK | i: 699 Pro | w: MD4 | p: Chalk Spider X SB

3 hours ago, rondre3000 said:

I went back and looked at the MyG*lfSpy ball test. With driver they listed approx 200 rpm differences between the Chromesoft and AVX. 500rpm differences between Chromesoft and AVX with the wedges. Should have been clearer.

For me, neither is my choice.  CS spins too much and AVX runs away like surlyn balls.