2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Ping i210 new version?

Compared to the S-55, where does the additional forgiveness begin in the longer irons with the i200?

I've played hybrids at 20 & 23º and would like to maybe go 21/24º. Reshaft the S-55's or is there something to be gained in say the 7, 6, 5i? @Onandigus which clubs are too offset? All of them, or just the longer irons? Where do yours stop?

11 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

Compared to the S-55, where does the additional forgiveness begin in the longer irons with the i200?

I've played hybrids at 20 & 23º and would like to maybe go 21/24º. Reshaft the S-55's or is there something to be gained in say the 7, 6, 5i? @Onandigus which clubs are too offset? All of them, or just the longer irons? Where do yours stop?

Really just 4, 5 and 6 that are noticeable to me.  I have 4-PW. 

Edited by Onandigus

Titleist TSR3 9 degree - Ventus Black Velocore Stiff
Bobra LTDx LS 15 3 wood - Diamana White Stiff 75
Titleist TSi3 19 degree - tensei white stiff. 
Srixon Zx4 2 iron - Recoil stiff
Srixon ZX5 4-6, ZX7 7-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, 58 DG S200
Scotty Cameron Newport 2 36", Evnroll 5Vs 35.5"
Titleist ProV1x

On 10/1/2020 at 8:56 PM, Aggielefty said:

How long are the ping i210 orders taking with Ping right now?

I ordered some i210s (4-UW) on September 3rd. They were delivered to me on September 30. So I had them 1 day short of 4 weeks from order. I think a lot of the timeframe depends on the shafts. Mine were regular DG X100s. 

2 hours ago, gbartko said:

Got mine with PowerSpec lofts and DGS300s. Perfect ball flight for me. I hope this doesn't get me banned from golfwrx but I actually like a bit of offset. And bounce too!

Hahaha I'm with you on the offset!  I currently play the iBlades, and I like them, but thinking about jumping on the i210 train.  

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

I played a borrowed set with X100 for 2 rounds last week and it made me wonder A. Why I never gave ping irons a chance and B. Why I wanna spend so much on Miura when I can spend 900 bucks on a set that will actually shave strokes off my game!!! I know we may see a new IXXX next year but It's hard not to want to just buy these. 

• Like 4

On 9/27/2020 at 3:06 PM, LukeDonaldsTiger said:

One cannot ignore the rave reviews, but the thicker sole and plastic cavity insert are holding me back. Does anyone have a comparison with the New Level 902? I have my mind set on those, but the i210 keep popping up left and right...

Old post, but most all the New Level stuff looks like it has a ton of offset built in all through the set...that's kind of Eric Burch's design ethos.

The i210 have a much more progressive offset with a bit in the longer irons and shorter irons pretty minimal.

Cobra LTDx LS Diamana B 70
TEE CB4 Tour 15° Attas T2
SLDR 3H Speeder HB 9.8

Honma TW 737 P 4 iron
Honma TR 20V 5-PW PX LS
Vokey SM7 52° & 58°
Tour Issue Toulon Austin

On 9/23/2020 at 4:27 AM, Houth393 said:

Thanks for the replies. Not sure i can wait until next summer! Heard such great things about the I210s. Still concerned I might have buyers remorse if the next version are even better

I wouldn’t worry about buyers remorse with the i210s. I was in your boat last December. I was fit for i210s but I was worried that Ping would announce something at the PGA Show so I waited (wasn’t playing in the winter anyway). As soon as they didn’t announce anything, I decided to buy. I got lucky and found the exact set I wanted on the bay for $510 that were hardly used.

I ended up with 5-U with all standard specs with Modus 120 Stiff. I could have easily gone PX LZ 5.5, too.

Probably the best golf purchase I have made. As another commenter pointed out, you maybe should be more concerned about missing out and having to find something used if Ping changes (or at least that’s how I would feel).

The consistency of distance is really amazing, almost unbelievable if you are coming from “hot” irons.  I am a 5-6 Hcp.  I just shot under par for the first time last week, largely by flagging iron shots.  I have never been a binge birdie player but I have had a round with 6 birdies and 3 rounds of 5 birdies in the past couple months.  A lot of that is the confidence to go at flags by trusting my numbers. 

if you’ve hit the i210s and know they work for you, I wouldn’t wait for the next-great-thing that may or may not work for you...

• Like 2

Driver: PING G410 Plus, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 6S
3W: Titleist D917 13.5 @ 15, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 7S
5W: Titleist D917 18 @ 18.75, Fujikura Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8S
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 21 @ 22, Diamana D+ 100 Hybrid
Irons: PING i210 (5-U), Nippon Modus 120S
Wedges: PING Glide (54 SS, 58 WS), PING CFS Wedge
Putter: PING Sigma 2 Arna
Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

12 hours ago, badboggs said:

What is the main component of a club feeling soft?  Is it vibration through the hands or is all a audible perception?

I guess its a bit of both, if you ask Mizuno its 80% sound

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5° @9.5°

Cobra Radspeed Big Tour @ 15.5°

Mizuno ST-Z 230 19°@20°

PING i230 4-U, +1/2", green dot
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54° Full Sole

Cleveland RTX Zipcore 60° Mid Sole

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

4 hours ago, Bunkersarebigcups said:

I guess its a bit of both, if you ask Mizuno its 80% sound

Correct. The majority of feel is sound.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

2 hours ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Shot my best round ever with the i210 the other day. So forgiving and feel great when hit out of the middle. Maybe not a Mizuno soft but I feel like I could hit these anywhere on the face and still get a good result.

Yeah the one thing I found with the i210s is no matter where you hit it, if you're a decent ballstriker the ball always seems to go about where you want it to. Thin's seem to get there, toe strikes and even heelish strikes all seem to fly about the same distance. For excellent ballstrikers that won't make much of a difference but everyone has a bad day

• Like 2

This is a dangerous thread... I just bought Apex Forged 19 a couple months ago and am not necessarily regretting the purchase - it was my first fit and what I have is light years better than what I was playing before - but I keep hearing so many good things about these i210s... I hit them well in the fitting but fitter didn't recommend them, not entirely sure why. Might have to keep my eyes open for a used set in my specs and give them a chance next spring. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

Lol, I'm in love with the i210s as well...just testing out a few different shaft options to decide which is best then I'll have a set or two back on the BST. 

One thing I love about Ping is the ability to send back for loft/lie adjustments for a reasonable fee. I'm playing the Retro-Spec and I dont notice the little amount of extra bounce from bending at all and the lofts are way more in line with my preferred gapping (coming from older Mizuno blades).

11 hours ago, okta said:

Yeah the one thing I found with the i210s is no matter where you hit it, if you're a decent ballstriker the ball always seems to go about where you want it to. Thin's seem to get there, toe strikes and even heelish strikes all seem to fly about the same distance. For excellent ballstrikers that won't make much of a difference but everyone has a bad day

This x 100.  I can't tell you how many times I have hit my i210s thin and walk up to the green and am hole high.  Sorcery.

I have adjusted my game to basically assume that a good strike is going the expected distance (crazy, I know). If I catch it heavy or not well, it will be 10 yards short.  The courses I typically play are dead over the back of greens so I don't need rocket balls, and I never get them.

• Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 10:28 PM, NorthStar7 said:

This x 100.  I can't tell you how many times I have hit my i210s thin and walk up to the green and am hole high.  Sorcery.

I have adjusted my game to basically assume that a good strike is going the expected distance (crazy, I know). If I catch it heavy or not well, it will be 10 yards short.  The courses I typically play are dead over the back of greens so I don't need rocket balls, and I never get them.

It really is sorcery. It kinda makes it really hard to put other irons in the bag. I'm not sure I'll get rid of them until they cave in. 

On 10/6/2020 at 10:28 PM, NorthStar7 said:

Man that's surprising.  I don't buy much into MPF numbers, but I do look at individual variables.  Vertical COG looks pretty high, I'd have thought they wouldn't jive with thin strikes.

48 minutes ago, RodrigoNicely said:

Not sure if it helps anything but was talking with my guy the other day and i210 replacement not coming till spring of 2022. He’s never been one to lead me astray as I’ve had some top secret stuff nobody else knows about so take it as you will 

Great Intel thanks. 

Well looks like I'm going to be ordering a set of i210s. Just need to decide whether I go PX LZ 6.0 shafts or DG 120 S300.

Anyone have any feedback on those 2 shafts compared to each other? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Houth393 said:

Great Intel thanks. 

Well looks like I'm going to be ordering a set of i210s. Just need to decide whether I go PX LZ 6.0 shafts or DG 120 S300.

Ooh! Yes, would love this comparison, along with Modus 120 if anyone's played those in these heads. 

Ping G430 LST, 9, Ventus Blue 6S

Titleist TS2, 15, Hzrdus Smoke Black 70, 6.0

Apex UW, 19, AD-DI 8S

Srixon ZX, 23

Ping i230, 5-PW, Modus 120x

Ping S159, 48.12 S (at 49)

Vokey SM10, 54.12 D

Vokey SM9, 60.12 D (at 59)

Odyssey Triple Track Ten S, 34"

Z-Star Diamond 

1 hour ago, Houth393 said:

Great Intel thanks. 

I’m not a dynamic gold fan myself. Lz will load easier like the modus. Lz launch should be a little higher than dynamic gold as well. My deal with dynamic gold was the harsh feeling but I’m getting to be an old man lol

6 hours ago, ThreeBoxers said:

Man that's surprising.  I don't buy much into MPF numbers, but I do look at individual variables.  Vertical COG looks pretty high, I'd have thought they wouldn't jive with thin strikes.

Don’t get me wrong.  If I straight up skull i210s there’s nothing any club can do....I am just surprised by how many times I end up hole high after a strike that was not very good. 

I looked at the VCOG MPF numbers before buying and they were a little concerning. But I hit a variety of clubs like JPX Forged, MP-20 MMC, MP-20 HMB, i500, Z785...for me, it wasn’t really close.  I could have gone Z785 but none of the others. 

I also adjusted my swing a bit with i210.  Basically, I had to focus more on getting through the ball more.  I guess you could argue I was adjusting to the VCOG. But, really, that’s just swinging better in general. 

My experience with i210s has me believing more and more that turf interaction is king. They just suit me ... whereas Mizunos are like foreign objects in my hands. I don’t know if Maltby quantifies that, but that may be more interesting than VCOG. 

19 hours ago, Houth393 said:

Great Intel thanks. 

I’ve used both (and several other shafts) and what I will say is there’s something that clicked for me with the LZ 6.5s and the i210s. It’s my new favourite steel shaft and I won’t be moving to anything else. It’s slightly softer than the PX and gives a bit more of a higher flight. 

14 hours ago, NorthStar7 said:

Don’t get me wrong.  If I straight up skull i210s there’s nothing any club can do....I am just surprised by how many times I end up hole high after a strike that was not very good. 

I looked at the VCOG MPF numbers before buying and they were a little concerning. But I hit a variety of clubs like JPX Forged, MP-20 MMC, MP-20 HMB, i500, Z785...for me, it wasn’t really close.  I could have gone Z785 but none of the others. 

I also adjusted my swing a bit with i210.  Basically, I had to focus more on getting through the ball more.  I guess you could argue I was adjusting to the VCOG. But, really, that’s just swinging better in general. 

My experience with i210s has me believing more and more that turf interaction is king. They just suit me ... whereas Mizunos are like foreign objects in my hands. I don’t know if Maltby quantifies that, but that may be more interesting than VCOG. 

This is where picking out specific numbers compared to how an iron performs as a whole gets confused. It’s like torque or shaft flex. They’re important but not in the context of just one measurement.

I don’t put much stock into Maltby’s numbers. PING has always been the king of forgiveness and iteration and if they rank low on the scale (especially the i210s which are quickly becoming one of their most successful irons in recent memory) then there’s something wrong with the scale.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 12:52 PM, Houth393 said:

Great Intel thanks. 

I would say the LZ will probably feel a little smoother, but the DG 120 ( I have them in my i210s) are pretty nice feeling in their own right... but I am a DG fan... Weight should be close, LZ may launch a little higher and for me, I can manipulate ball flight much easier with the DG than the LZ.   The i210 head will take some of the shaft harshness that exists, it's pretty soft feeling overall.  These irons are fantastic.

Ping G430 10k 9*  Ventus blue 6x

Ping G430 LST 15* HZRDUS smoke yellow 70s

Ping G430 19* Tour Chrome 2.0 85s

Nike VFP  4i KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping i230 5-P KBS CTL 115x ss1x

Ping s159 50/12s, 54/10h, 58/8b  KBS Tour
Ping Anser Milled 2  34"

i am a current i200 player, and have been holding out to see what ping announces, but getting itchy to try some new sticks.  

last weekend at golf galaxy i saw a used set of i210 and a set of i200, so i was just sort of comparing them to see if the i210 was a noticeable difference.  if anything, i sort of felt the i200 had a bit smaller profile.  wasn't a huge difference, but also not what i was expecting.

anybody made the 200->210 leap and care to comment?  i love the 200... is it worth keeping the 210 in the competition for next?  

WITB:

D - Titleist TSi2

3w - Titleist TSi2

3h - Titleist TSi2

4-9i - Titleist T100s

45*, 49*, 54*, 58* - Artisan Golf

P - Artisan Golf 0117

23 hours ago, okta said:

I’ve used both (and several other shafts) and what I will say is there’s something that clicked for me with the LZ 6.5s and the i210s. It’s my new favourite steel shaft and I won’t be moving to anything else. It’s slightly softer than the PX and gives a bit more of a higher flight. 

This is where picking out specific numbers compared to how an iron performs as a whole gets confused. It’s like torque or shaft flex. They’re important but not in the context of just one measurement.

I don’t put much stock into Maltby’s numbers. PING has always been the king of forgiveness and iteration and if they rank low on the scale (especially the i210s which are quickly becoming one of their most successful irons in recent memory) then there’s something wrong with the scale.

I mean no offense by this, but the problem is that you're paying attention to the wrong numbers in MPF.  The final score isn't a forgiveness measure.  It's really just a grade of how close that clubhead design is to the things Ralph Maltby believes in.  His thing is a low CG as far away from the hosel as one can move it.

Actual forgiveness is displayed by the MOI measurement.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

12 hours ago, toothysaw2 said:

i am a current i200 player, and have been holding out to see what ping announces, but getting itchy to try some new sticks.  

last weekend at golf galaxy i saw a used set of i210 and a set of i200, so i was just sort of comparing them to see if the i210 was a noticeable difference.  if anything, i sort of felt the i200 had a bit smaller profile.  wasn't a huge difference, but also not what i was expecting.

anybody made the 200->210 leap and care to comment?  i love the 200... is it worth keeping the 210 in the competition for next?  

I am in the same boat. I have played the 200’s for a couple years now, and am intrigued by the 210’s. But not sure there will be much of a difference. A little softer feeling, etc. It all sounds pretty good to me. Might be worth demoing the 210’s, or waiting to see what the new year holds. 

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5