MEMBER REVIEWS: Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier Putters! See What Members Are Saying!

knudson81

hb-premier-testing-281-29.jpg.2ea9ddef44dcb1afbcd1dfc75211eb31.jpg

Thank you to everyone who applied to be a tester! The testers of the new Huntington Beach SOFT Premier putters are...

@crazygolfnut

@flyingmeese

@ShakeyT

@Chris5573

@VTHOKIM

@jasman29

@thevaporz

@Golfing Boiler

@dlow206

@Jut

Please feel free to ask any questions you might have to these testers. They will be happy to answer and discuss these new putters with you!

CJPSignatureV3.png.c58dade69e39827f99ae02c309fb82e2.png

Instagram  |  iTunes  |  SoundCloud  |  Spotify | YouTube

I'll jump right in with my first impressions since my #14 arrived at lunch (allowing me some brief play time and something to look forward to after work).  Please see pics as they're going to be, well, worth 1000 words (especially since I'm no wordsmith).  From the packaging to the putter itself, the presentation definitely says "premier".  Similar type putters I've gamed super-recently that are VERY comparable would be the Mizuno M Craft Type III, Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 10, and PXG Gunboat.  Without getting into trying to compare all four, I'll simply say that, at minimum, the Cleveland HB Soft Premier putter is as good, if not better, with regards to looks, accessories, initial feel and initial roll (still need to get it out on a real putting green).  The face-balanced #14 frames the ball beautifully (and it's a great size, not too big, not too small).  The Lamkin Sink Fit is an amazing stock grip.  The head cover fits snugly and looks sharp, matching the stealthy gray / black theme of the entire setup (my only beef, and it's a VERY small one, would be why not go magnetic versus velcro with the premier designation?).   With regards to feel / sound, I'd say the Cleveland HB Soft Premier most closely matches the Mizuno M Craft Type III (out of the putters I've recently gamed) and in actuality is even a bit softer at impact.  Not too soft, but no click either.  Pretty much music to my ears.  One thing that did jump out at me right off the bat was the weight of the putter.  It's hefty.  I'm not sure if the website states swing weight, but I measured it at just between an E4-E5. Putting so far (carpet only) has shown that this bad boy puts a SMOOTH roll (no skidding, no jumping) on the ball right from the strike.  Alignment is fantastic.  Overall, first impressions are SOLID!  I'll add the pics in just a second and add more performance information after I get her rolling on some southwestern Ohio greens.  Thanks Cleveland golf and GOLFWRX for this amazing opportunity!      

B9E58C6E-BD2B-4F91-8020-B2AB4F7CBFF0.jpeg

69D45A39-3B7A-41B0-A76D-63E50BD101C9.jpeg

185EC474-98C4-4E95-ACD1-0A99776553A1.jpeg

E820BFA7-6C24-4E49-ACD7-905A9E33852C.jpeg

D29B17C5-17B0-4CED-A5C1-D71538F2845E.jpeg

4FDC591F-7980-43FA-9E46-65FF75EB1F9A.jpeg

49AE659D-A7A3-4316-81A1-91996C35B84D.jpeg

A6E151E5-62AD-46CA-B857-12232642E330.jpeg

4D31A18E-0D50-459E-940E-BD7B3BB88842.jpeg

F4E58928-966C-4990-AE91-CA6F7F62B75E.jpeg

3C5E6D76-890E-4B42-B42A-96B2F53AE2FA.jpeg

8F1E9AD5-61DD-4418-BB97-28482B524CDF.jpeg

Edited by Jut

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Paradym Super Hybrid 15*

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Cleveland RTX Full Face 64/09

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

A few small items that I forgot to mention - #1  The putter looks SHARP, but I do fear the finish could get scratched / nicked up fairly easily if you're not careful and #2 - I LOVE that (at least with the #14 model) I can scoop up the ball easily without bending over (a nice feature for this aging mid-40 year old golfer).  

Also, I'll get some more face pics later to show the milling (completely slipped my mind).  

Edited by Jut

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1 

Excited to be testing/reviewing the 10.5C.

I chose the 10.5C because I've played center-shafted mallets for several years. My gamer has primarily been a Betti BB54, but sometimes I switch in the Itsy Bitsy Spider Stripe. Aside from both being center-shafted mallets, the other common themes for these putters is the lie angles have been bent to about 75* & the head weight has been increased to 390g. I've used putters with this type of set up since the anchor ban to help combat my shakey hands & the yips. With that said I'm going to play this putter at standard specs and see how it affects my game.

My hdcp index is currently a 7.4. I wouldn't say that I have any one facet of my game that is better than the rest, but I'm usually a pretty decent putter. Most rounds I'm going to have around 30 putts, +/- or few on either side. My miss with the putter is a pull. Especially in pressure situations & on putts I have to strike with more force.

I will be able to post my initial thoughts about the putter latter this evening. In the mean time, here are a few pics.

IMG_20200920_175808.jpg

IMG_20200920_175749.jpg

• Like 1

I received a Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 11 at 33 inches to compare with my current putter which is an 8-year-old Rife 400 Mid Mallet.  The putter has a Lamkin Sinkfit Pistol grip.

COLOR – Classy - This is the first black/grey putter that I have tried.  Cleveland calls the head color a Gray Satin Finish.  The shaft is black and the grip is a Lamkin Sinkfit Pistol which is a shade of grey/black.  When you put them all together, it is a very classy looking putter.  I really like how it looks.  

WEIGHT – For the fun of it, I took out a kitchen scale and weighed this putter against a couple of putters just to see what this difference would be.  This is not swing weight but overall weight. Not sure this means anything but I thought it would be fun to see.

• Odyssey Dual Force Rossie II =   17  7/8 oz.
  • Rife 400 Mid Mallet =   18  3/8 oz.
  • Cleveland Huntington Beach =   21oz.

Looks like the Cleveland is about 3 oz heaver.  I prefer a putter on the heaver side and comparing this to my current putter, it feels a little heaver which is what I like.  I also compered it to a couple of other putters that I have in the basement and they all felt lite compared to this.  Not sure if it is the swing weight or overall weight.

SHAPE – this is the 11 head with what I will call two fingers or wings coming out of the back side.  They are a little shorter than other manufactures which is fine.  I like the more compact wing shape.  One requirement that I have in a putter is the ability to pick the ball and I can do that with this shape.

ALIGNMENT – comparing my putter to this I was surprised on how similar they are.  Both have a center line and both have an extra sunken area that also helps to line up the ball. 

GRIP – this putter has a Lamkin Sinkfit Pistol grip and my current putter has a SuperStroke 2.0.  They feel totally different and almost immediately I like the Lamkin better.

PERFORMANCE – indoor on a putting matt I was very pleased.  Putt after putt went where I wanted it to go with almost no effort.  Looking forward to taking it out to the course and testing it. 

HEADCOVER – nice headcover that blends in.  I prefer this over gaudy ones.

FACE – there is a difference in the two faces.  The Rife that I currently use is milled with straight lines from side to side.  The Huntington Beach has a milled face but a very different design. 

OVERALL – At this point I do not know what else they could do to make it any better.  Once a play a couple of rounds using this putter I will know if it holds up well under pressure. 

After a few rounds, I will see how well I like this but for now, I think I do.  I posted pictures of the new putter and towards the end posted a couple to see how they compare to my current one.  

20200922_102651.jpg

20200922_102710.jpg

20200922_102758.jpg

20200922_103704.jpg

20200922_103711.jpg

20200922_103841.jpg

20200922_104350.jpg

20200922_104414.jpg

20200922_121858.jpg

20200922_140555.jpg

20200922_140510.jpg

Edited by crazygolfnut
  • Like 1

Driver _____ Ping G400 Max
Woods ____ Ping G410 3 & 5, Cleveland XL HALO 7
Hybrids ___ Titleist 818H1 5H
Irons ______ Titleist T300 6-GW
Wedges ___ Titleist Vokey SM9 52.08F & 56.10S
Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up
Ball _______  Titleist ProV1 Yellow
Distance __ GPS:  Bushnell Phantom 2,  Rangefinder:  Precision Pro NX7 Pro
GHIN ______ HCP floats between 10 and 12

Cool wins!  Can't wait to see all the different models.

Titleist TSi2 9° - Mitsubishi Tensei White 60 X

Ping G400 14.5° - Matrix Black tie 7M3 SG

Ping G400 17.5° - Aldila HM-40 Tour Gold Tour 95 S

Titleist 818 H1 22° - Aldila NV 95 X

Callaway Rogue Pro 4-PW - True Temper XP 95 ST15 S300 (Black)

Vanilla Wedge 50°, 55°, & 60° - KBS 610 Wedge S

Scotty Cameron Golo s5 34"

Member of #teamjetspeed - December 2013

First of all want to say thanks to GolfWRX and Cleveland for this opportunity to review this putter. 

Here are the Specs of my putter:

Putter Hand:  Right 
Model:   Huntington Beach Soft Premier (the black/Grey one) 11S Putter   
Length:   33.5
Lie:  69  (-1 flat)
Loft:  3

For me, the weight (370 grams) for this putter feels very solid in my hands. I like a heavier putter as I currently game Scotty Cameron Squareback 1.5 with 25gram weights. I have only taken to putting green and not got it on the course yet, however here are my putting green impressions.

Very very nice deep gray color with black shaft, for me, frames the ball very nicely when looking down. I really love the looks on the putter.  

With the 11S (Slant neck version) It has the thicker blade like look to it, similar to my Squareback, with the addition of wings similar to the JT putter. The head is also a little more compact compared to my gamer but it didnt take anytime to get used to it and was comfortably rolling putts on the putting green.  It felt really easy to square the putter and make a confident stroke and speed control was fairly easy given that the weight is same as my gamer. 

I really liked the feel and sound of the face of this putter with the optimized milling you get a more muted audio feedback, which I really like, that allows me to release the putter. With the slant neck it promotes that slight arc stroke that I have in my putting game and I was releasing the putter nicely in the practice putting green. 

The one thing that I am going to change tomorrow is the grip. I have a grip puller so to give an honest assessment of how this plays on the course compared to my game I will have to put a Super Stroke 2.0 mid slim on this bad boy. If I had to, I could play the grip it came with but I know my game and I have the most confidence when playing the SuperStroke 2.0 mid Slim.  

I am playing both sat and sun which will give me a good initial on course impression of this putter. Below are a few pics on the putting green. I will update this thread after the weekends games. 

IMG_5363.HEIC IMG_5364.HEIC IMG_5365.HEIC IMG_5366.HEIC IMG_5367.HEIC IMG_5368.HEIC IMG_5369.HEIC

Edited by jasman29

Corba Aerojet LS 9 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 60X 
Taylormade Stealth Plus 15 Mitsubishi Chemical Kai'li 70X

Taylormade Stealth2  3 Rescue 19 Fujikura Ventus Blue 9X Velocore
Titleist T200 4 DGTI X100
T100S 5-PW DGTI X100
SM9 50F DGTI, SM9 54D DGTI, SM7 60D DGTI

EVNROLL EV5.1B - Mid Slant Hosel 34 

Scotty Cameron 2012 Select GoLo 34

L.A.B. DF3 Dodger Blue 35/70 Heavy (On its way!!)

Very exciting opportunity - thank you to GolfWRX and Cleveland! 

Looks:  First impressions are that this is a nice looking putter!  I love the darker finish and the blacked out shaft.  As others mentioned, there were a couple splotches on the putter - after taking pics, I rubbed the putter down with some gun oil and they disappeared.  I like the cavity - reminds me of the old Cameron Oil Can Oval Track Newport 2.  I'm not a huge fan of a flange line on putters, but with the dark finish of the club and the black line, it is not so bad.  The bumpers are a little more squared off even than the Newport 2

Feel: It feels a bit lighter than my regular putters (Studio Stainless Newport 2 and TeI3 Newport - both standard 35" 330G).  The grip is pretty thick for my liking, I'll be switching it to the Pingman grip that is on my other putters.  When hitting a put, it definitely feels softer than both of my Camerons - both of which have had the milling sanded down.  

Sound:  Much more of a muted thud sounds than my other regular putters, I kind of like it.  

Performance: So far, it performs very well - it does seem to be more forgiving on off-center hits - I purposely hit some putts off the toe and heel and the distance and direction loss aren't as severe as with my Camerons

I'm looking forward to continuing to test this putter.  It definitely would have a chance to make my rotation.

IMG_3374.jpg

IMG_3375.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

IMG_3378.jpg

IMG_3424.jpg

IMG_3426.jpg

IMG_3425.jpg

Edited by flyingmeese

Titleist TSI3 10.0* 
Titleist TSI1 15* 

Titleist TS2 18*
Titleist T100S Black 4-PM
Vokey SM8 48F

Vokey SM8 54F
Vokey SM9 60T
Ping Anser 2D

My putter came in Sunday night. When I unboxed/unwrapped it, I was surprised to see the darker spot on the face where the plastic was not covering it (see pic in my previous post). When I wiped my thumb across the spot, rather than wiping it off, the dark spot spread where I moved my thumb. The spot wouldn't wash off, so I assumed it was just an oil stain of some sort. I ended up just wiping my finger back & forth across the face until it was all the darker color. It's no big deal, but I didn't expect the discoloration.

I took the putter to the putting green at my home course Sunday evening and putted for about 45 minutes. As I mentioned before, the set up and specs of the putter aren't what I'm used to, so I spent the 1st 15 minutes working on finding a set up (ball positioning, grip and hand placement) that I felt comfortable with. I settled on left hand low, with the ball just in front of my center line and hands in closer to my legs than normal. This set up seemed to give me the most consistent take away, contact & alignment.

The next thing I want to talk about is the feel when the ball comes off the center of the face. The best way I can describe it is that it feels dense. Just a solid, heavy contact that gets the ball going in a hurry. Contact on the toe side of center produced a slightly higher pitched sound and I could feel the difference in my hands.  

I putted around the green until it got too dark to see the breaks. Lag putting was surprisingly good considering my normal putters are considerably heavier than this one. I'll save more thoughts for another time.

Thank you Golfwrx and Cleveland golf for the opportunity to test the Huntington Beach Soft Premier 11S putter!  I just got the package about 15 minutes ago and will be following up with my impressions once I’m able to get on the practice green/course this weekend. 

Driver: Epic SZ 10.5 665 Speeder

3 Wood: Epic Flash 
Hybrids: Epic 3 wood and 3, 4, 5 hybrids
Irons: Yamaha Inpres X V Forged Recoil 80 
Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, PM Grind 54/11 and 58/10
Putter: Cameron 2016 Golo 3

Ok, had to pull the putter out of the box and here are my initial impressions... it’s a damn good looking putter and feels solid.  In my brain, I’m already thinking, I could game this!  Now that’s based on looks and feel.  Here are some pics:

B9AA78AB-8458-4990-9074-56F6D6C62945.jpeg.a2c5e8955b279c7ec02dc0c3faa67955.jpegF2BCAE41-BE7D-4A9F-915E-5535AF747983.jpeg.86bd1d0a69d293c33fbe2c8059f5b156.jpeg38E3D113-409E-4FCF-A057-F2D70853D175.jpeg.698f16a67687886dc1c402b00782be87.jpegBEAFD0D3-103D-4DE3-8228-7FB74D51E455.jpeg.b5e11c69a5b7fd77afd160a0ee902988.jpeg3C2ACE0E-D0D0-451F-894D-46C733615D41.jpeg.4466418a39f5e011afe88323312e6c38.jpeg

In order for me to game a putter, here are my absolute must have’s:

1) Looks:  I have to like the way it looks, if not, it will not last.  Then once I put the putter down behind the ball, it must stay square.  Imo, there’s nothing worse than a putter that closes or opens at address.  This putter passed this criteria with flying colors!  To be honest, I like it more than my current gamer that’s been in the bag for over 3 years, Scotty Cameron GOLO 3 2015.  When setup side by side, all the specs seem to match with the naked eye and that’s good enough for me.  Length, lie angle, and loft all seemed identical to my current putter.  

2) Feel:  This I break down into 2 categories.  How the putter feels when making a stroke and how the ball feels coming off the face.  I personally like a putter with a little weight to it that’s feels solid, sorry I’m not scientific with a specific SW, head weight, MOI, etc but for me it’s just a feel.   Feels a lot like my current gamer, which is Great!!!  In regards to how the ball feels off the face.  I like a softer metallic feel, never been an insert putter guy as that’s typically too soft for me.  Deeper milled steel putters is what I typically favor.  I also do not like hard feeling putters either.  This putter felt great rolling my Prov1x on the carpet. Exactly the feel I like.  Another !

3) Sound: I cannot and will not game a putter that makes the following type of sound: Any pinging/high pitched sounds, that’s a deal breaker for me.  I’ve noticed this style putter has a tendency for this sound and I was honestly nervous this would be the case!  Based on initial carpet putting, nothing... I’m so damn happy!!!  If anything there was a muted, solid thwack type sound... love it!  It’s actually more muted than my current putter which shocked me a little.  

4) Alignment: In this area, I just need to feel comfortable that I can easily align the face with my line.  I don’t care about crazy alignment aids.  What I will say, the dark finish frames the golf ball nicely and the simple single alignment line with the fangs really allows for easy alignment. ANOTHER !

5) Performance/Forgiveness: In this area I’m primarily focused on consistency on distance control and forgiveness on mishits.  If the putter seems to be better on fast or slow greens.  When I get a chance to take it out on the course this weekend, I’ll report back with my impressions.  But as you all can see, I’m PLEASANTLY surprised!  

Also let me say, I’m not one to hold back my feelings about something, even if it’s negative but at this time, I cannot say a bad thing. 

Edited by VTHOKIM

Received my #11 today and just took it out of the box. I had ordered 32" and 2 degrees loft, but it came in at 33" and standard loft. That's ok, I can live with the putter at 33". Haven't had a chance to take pics, but rolled 4 putts on my indoor 12 foot Birdieball putting green, and made all 4. Feels like the ball comes off a bit softer than my Odyssey Triple Track 2 ball, but need to spend more time with it and do a better comparison. Will provide a much extensive review with pictures, but wanted to give some initial thoughts based on receiving the putter 30 minutes ago.

Received my putter on Monday and took it out to the putting green today after work.  I currently have a #9 style putter, but I always like the look of this Newport 2/Anser 2 style blade....or in this case, the Cleveland HB Soft Premier #4.  I ordered mine at 35" and standard specs.  This putter looks great at address, has a nice shape to it and I really like the dark gray color.  I had a Cleveland Classic in the past and to me the feel was about as good as any milled putter out there.  I think the Lamkin grip on this putter is nice, definitely better than the oversized Cleveland grips they had on the previous HB Soft putters.  The headcover looks sharp and is a quality build, but it has a velcro closure which I personally don't care for.  Minor detail I I know, but if I was going to game this putter I'd have to use a different cover.

Screenshot_20200924-050620_Gallery.jpg.5ffee727eedbc0f63e722b5cc79ff3bf.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050406_Gallery.jpg.1fdec7e871318a7e1e759b42deab3cc6.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050710_Gallery.jpg.af99498bfa0b4643fa6db82a3998b919.jpg

20200923_153202.jpg.0b6250d52062a6b3021daf0043aefb7a.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050701_Gallery.jpg.44ef2eb1ccabd32bcebc88d2811660f1.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050651_Gallery.jpg.0b114c734d96271ce6585fc364c647d1.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050642_Gallery.jpg.f8f76e29cbfea574b1e831b511e19d1e.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050613_Gallery.jpg.2aa531d6f06ebf8d51bed4a54a417cd7.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050634_Gallery.jpg.ac41c7904664a096e00e4035631babd2.jpg

Screenshot_20200924-050627_Gallery.jpg.ad27955a3a3c294604e03321223712ff.jpg

The feel off the face was firmer than I expected.  It was still good, not harsh at all, but I was a little surprised.  I hit several putts in the 4-6' range and I would say I made about the same amount as I would with any blade putter, which is probably a little less than I was hoping for!  That's me not being totally confident with this style putter though.  On the long 40' lag putts, the distance control was very good.  It was not difficult to get a feel for how hard to swing the putter to get the ball close from long range.  I also did a test several times where I hit 2 balls in the center of the face, 2 off the toe and 2 off the heel and even though the off-center hits felt pretty bad, there was not much, if any, loss of distance.  

To sum up my 45 mins on the putting green, I would say:

PROS                                                                                   

• Look, including shape, color and milling pattern
  • Grip
  • Distance control
  • Forgiveness, (no loss of distance on off center hits)

CONS

• Feel was not as good as I anticipated
  • Felt a bit light to me
  • Headcover has velcro closure

As has been the case since the last update, I am struggling with posting pics.   I took several and not sure why I can't get them all on here!

Edited by Chris5573
Pic trouble

16 hours ago, VTHOKIM said:

Ok, had to pull the putter out of the box and here are my initial impressions... it’s a damn good looking putter and feels solid.  In my brain, I’m already thinking, I could game this!  Now that’s based on looks and feel.  Here are some pics:

B9AA78AB-8458-4990-9074-56F6D6C62945.jpeg.a2c5e8955b279c7ec02dc0c3faa67955.jpegF2BCAE41-BE7D-4A9F-915E-5535AF747983.jpeg.86bd1d0a69d293c33fbe2c8059f5b156.jpeg38E3D113-409E-4FCF-A057-F2D70853D175.jpeg.698f16a67687886dc1c402b00782be87.jpegBEAFD0D3-103D-4DE3-8228-7FB74D51E455.jpeg.b5e11c69a5b7fd77afd160a0ee902988.jpeg3C2ACE0E-D0D0-451F-894D-46C733615D41.jpeg.4466418a39f5e011afe88323312e6c38.jpeg

In order for me to game a putter, here are my absolute must have’s:

1) Looks:  I have to like the way it looks, if not, it will not last.  Then once I put the putter down behind the ball, it must stay square.  Imo, there’s nothing worse than a putter that closes or opens at address.  This putter passed this criteria with flying colors!  To be honest, I like it more than my current gamer that’s been in the bag for over 3 years, Scotty Cameron GOLO 3 2015.  When setup side by side, all the specs seem to match with the naked eye and that’s good enough for me.  Length, lie angle, and loft all seemed identical to my current putter.  

2) Feel:  This I break down into 2 categories.  How the putter feels when making a stroke and how the ball feels coming off the face.  I personally like a putter with a little weight to it that’s feels solid, sorry I’m not scientific with a specific SW, head weight, MOI, etc but for me it’s just a feel.   Feels a lot like my current gamer, which is Great!!!  In regards to how the ball feels off the face.  I like a softer metallic feel, never been an insert putter guy as that’s typically too soft for me.  Deeper milled steel putters is what I typically favor.  I also do not like hard feeling putters either.  This putter felt great rolling my Prov1x on the carpet. Exactly the feel I like.  Another !

3) Sound: I cannot and will not game a putter that makes the following type of sound: Any pinging/high pitched sounds, that’s a deal breaker for me.  I’ve noticed this style putter has a tendency for this sound and I was honestly nervous this would be the case!  Based on initial carpet putting, nothing... I’m so damn happy!!!  If anything there was a muted, solid thwack type sound... love it!  It’s actually more muted than my current putter which shocked me a little.  

4) Alignment: In this area, I just need to feel comfortable that I can easily align the face with my line.  I don’t care about crazy alignment aids.  What I will say, the dark finish frames the golf ball nicely and the simple single alignment line with the fangs really allows for easy alignment. ANOTHER !

5) Performance/Forgiveness: In this area I’m primarily focused on consistency on distance control and forgiveness on mishits.  If the putter seems to be better on fast or slow greens.  When I get a chance to take it out on the course this weekend, I’ll report back with my impressions.  But as you all can see, I’m PLEASANTLY surprised!  

Also let me say, I’m not one to hold back my feelings about something, even if it’s negative but at this time, I cannot say a bad thing. 

So with the excitement of my initial impressions and thinking maybe this putter could be a possible replacement of my gamer by checking all the boxes mentioned earlier, I went to the putting green last night.  Then it happened, about 50% of the time I could hear the high pitched pinging sound.  I do not know what it is about this style putter, but I’ve always noticed this sound to be present, even with soft insert style manufacturers and I struggle with it.  My assumption has always been the design and resemblance to a tuning fork with the wings.  I was there with 4 of my good golfing friends and some could hear it while others did not.  So maybe I’m just hyper-sensitive to the sound but for me, it was there.  Has anyone else ever noticed this sound with a putter?

Besides the sound, everything else was great.  Performance/Forgiveness was all there, distance control on all length of putts, the ball appeared to get rolling immediately, and even on slight toe or heal strikes no noticeable difference on direction or distance.  We played a 9 hole stroke play putting game and I won by a stroke.  The distance of putts ranged from 10 to 80 feet.  I three putted from 60 feet with a severe right to left break up a slope but holed a 25 footer slightly downhill slider.  Everything else was a 2 putt, pretty impressed but once again the sound keeps lingering in the brain.  

So here’s my plan, play 2 18 hole rounds with the putter and then report back on my feelings. 

Edited by VTHOKIM

11 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Is it my eyes, or is the #11 (middle) more face balanced than the Scotty and the 2-ball below? All three are supposed to be "face balanced". Sorry for bad picture quality.

IMG_7214.JPG.d5e7ad9a877ec3a52e8422daf7b42208.JPG

Maybe a little but not by much.  Do they all have similar style grips on them?  I’m thinking that could be the slight difference maker as the stock Pistol grip on the Cleveland would be different than a super stroke grip.

Edited by VTHOKIM

2 hours ago, VTHOKIM said:

Maybe a little but not by much.  Do they all have similar style grips on them?  I’m thinking that could be the slight difference maker as the stock Pistol grip on the Cleveland would be different than a super stroke grip.

The Cleveland and the Odyssey both have Lamkin sinkfit grips, though the Cleveland has the rubber one and the Odyssey has the polyurethane version. My miss on a straight putt tends to be a slight push. I was wondering if even that tiny bit of difference between the toe hang on the Cleveland vs. the Odyssey could make a difference because on my indoor putting mat, I am not pushing putts as much with the Cleveland. 

I got out & played 15 holes last night & used the Cleveland HB Soft Premier (CHBSP from now on) exclusively. 

Early on, I was putting really well. So well that I was on track to shoot one of my lower scores on this course. With that said, it's normal for me to start feeling the pressure to keep it up & not miss putts down the stretch. That's when the lighter weight of this putter, as compared to my gamer, really starts to be noticeable.

I missed makeable par & birdie putts on the last 3 holes I played because I couldn't make a smooth, deliberate stroke. Without the extra headweight I'm used to, the head got twitchy.

At 365g the headweight is 20-25g less than what I normally play. (Yep, my putters are sledgehammers).

I recognize that for the vast majority of people this wouldn't be an problem, so I wouldn't expect anyone else to have this issue.

In order to give a better review, I'll be caking lead tape on the sole to make it more of an apples to apples comparison with what I'm used to.

I have practiced indoors on a mat and yesterday I played a course that I have not been on in a few years.  I did not read the greens very well so my putting was not very good.  Not the putters fault.  This is the first time in many years that I have changed out my putter so it is going to take a few more rounds to figure it out.  I am playing the next three days at my home course so that should give me a better idea if it is going to work for me. 

Putter _____ Odyssey Dual Force Rossie 2 or Rife 2-Bar w/ Nickel Putter Golf Ball Pick-Up

I have only been able to get two rounds in due to weather.  The first round was on a course that I have not played in years and I did not read the greens very well.  My second round was at my normal course.  Here are my thoughts to date. 

LOOKS – The more I look at this putter the more I like it.  The gray color is very classy looking and several fellow golfers also brought up how much they like the looks.

GRIP – I really like the Lamkin Sinkfit Pistol grip more that my current putter grip. One fellow player picked up the putter and mentioned how heavy the putter grip was. 

WEIGHT – This putter feels heavy compared to other putters that I have tried.  In fact, it might be just a little too heavy for me.

PERFORMANCE – The balls rolls very nice, no skipping or hopping and on short putts I did not have any issues.  My main problem is on longer putts.  I was not able to get the ball to the hole or when there was a breaking putt, I was not able to hit the “sweet spot” needed for the break.  I usually came up very short or way over hit the ball. 

OVERALL – For me this putter is a definite maybe.  I believe that If the putter was a little lighter, I might be more successful.  I feel like I need a couple of more rounds to come to a conclusion. More in the future. 

On 9/22/2020 at 1:36 PM, Jut said:

I'll jump right in with my first impressions since my #14 arrived at lunch (allowing me some brief play time and something to look forward to after work).  Please see pics as they're going to be, well, worth 1000 words (especially since I'm no wordsmith).  From the packaging to the putter itself, the presentation definitely says "premier".  Similar type putters I've gamed super-recently that are VERY comparable would be the Mizuno M Craft Type III, Odyssey Stroke Lab Black 10, and PXG Gunboat.  Without getting into trying to compare all four, I'll simply say that, at minimum, the Cleveland HB Soft Premier putter is as good, if not better, with regards to looks, accessories, initial feel and initial roll (still need to get it out on a real putting green).  The face-balanced #14 frames the ball beautifully (and it's a great size, not too big, not too small).  The Lamkin Sink Fit is an amazing stock grip.  The head cover fits snugly and looks sharp, matching the stealthy gray / black theme of the entire setup (my only beef, and it's a VERY small one, would be why not go magnetic versus velcro with the premier designation?).   With regards to feel / sound, I'd say the Cleveland HB Soft Premier most closely matches the Mizuno M Craft Type III (out of the putters I've recently gamed) and in actuality is even a bit softer at impact.  Not too soft, but no click either.  Pretty much music to my ears.  One thing that did jump out at me right off the bat was the weight of the putter.  It's hefty.  I'm not sure if the website states swing weight, but I measured it at just between an E4-E5. Putting so far (carpet only) has shown that this bad boy puts a SMOOTH roll (no skidding, no jumping) on the ball right from the strike.  Alignment is fantastic.  Overall, first impressions are SOLID!  I'll add the pics in just a second and add more performance information after I get her rolling on some southwestern Ohio greens.  Thanks Cleveland golf and GOLFWRX for this amazing opportunity!      

B9E58C6E-BD2B-4F91-8020-B2AB4F7CBFF0.jpeg

69D45A39-3B7A-41B0-A76D-63E50BD101C9.jpeg

185EC474-98C4-4E95-ACD1-0A99776553A1.jpeg

E820BFA7-6C24-4E49-ACD7-905A9E33852C.jpeg

D29B17C5-17B0-4CED-A5C1-D71538F2845E.jpeg

4FDC591F-7980-43FA-9E46-65FF75EB1F9A.jpeg

49AE659D-A7A3-4316-81A1-91996C35B84D.jpeg

A6E151E5-62AD-46CA-B857-12232642E330.jpeg

4D31A18E-0D50-459E-940E-BD7B3BB88842.jpeg

F4E58928-966C-4990-AE91-CA6F7F62B75E.jpeg

3C5E6D76-890E-4B42-B42A-96B2F53AE2FA.jpeg

8F1E9AD5-61DD-4418-BB97-28482B524CDF.jpeg

Me again.  Quick update after getting a full round in today.  Everything about the 14 is great, except that heavy E4-E5 swing weight.  It’s difficult for me to judge distance with such a heavy putter.  I’m wondering if a grip change might help....

Ping G430 LST 10* 

Callaway Apex UW 19*

PXG 0211 XCOR2 Dark 5-L

Ping PLD Oslo 3

Titleist Pro V1