Help me pick an Iron Set - 5 Yr Layoff

Incognito

I'm coming back to golf after a 5 yr of putting it aside for work and career.  Due to the changes in the world ?, I find myself with more time, and the only real "free time" I get now is back on the golf course.  

SIDE NOTE:  I forgot how much I LOVE this game.

When I was playing my best, I was a 9 handicap.  I'm playing the same clubs I had for 10 years.  My 4th set of Pings.  Eye2, Gsomething, I15, and now S56.

Current Irons:  Ping S56 

After 2 months of practice and a few rounds, I'm striking the ball decently well.  Last round out, I put up a RUSTY 15 over on the front, but got in sync and shot 5 over on the back.  So, I'm feeling good about my progress after such a long break.

I think its time to invest in new clubs.  Irons are the first thing I want to replace.  

I'm 10 years older (38) than when I used to game the Ping's Player Irons (S56) and I dont play nearly as often as I did back then.  

I want to retain somewhat of a "players" look. But I would also like some of this new tech thats in the new clubs.  I could use some extra forgiveness and yards, as it seems that EVERYONE hits it further than me these days.  (I dont know my swing speed, but I carry my full 7 iron currently around 160 yds).

What do you equipment experts recommend I look at?  Something that retains the look, but will give me more room for error and a few extra yards.

Price is not a huge concern.  I've been fortunate to put myself in a good position to make an investment in my game and enjoyment of the game.  I've even looked at PXG, but wanted to get a few options before I commit to a fitting.  

Thanks for reading, and any advice is greatly appreciated.  

I was in a similar boat as you about 5 years ago.  IMO the biggest change in the past 5 years is the development and maturation of the "players distance" category.  I would bet you'll get a lot of feedback and recommendations that look very similar their signature blocks...LOL.  I'm just as guilty.  Many of the OEMs make a very solid product in this category.  

Stalwarts in this category are the TM P790 line, Mizuno JPX, Titleist T200, Callaway Apex, and Ping i210 or i500 (depending if you want "feel with very good distance" or "distance with a little feel").  TM P770 is the new kid on the block getting a lot of attention.  If I were you I would give these each a swing.  

I have gamed Apex 16, PIng i210 (and i200),  and now TM P770 in this category.  Also have gamed 3 versions of AP2 (712, 716, 718) and MP-18MMC.  It is hard to find a better combo of feel, looks, and meaningful forgiveness than i210.  I switched to P770 mostly for a more compact look and better turf interaction for my swing.  Gamed the i210 for 18 months with almost zero complaints.  Coming from Ping already, it would be an easy transition. 

Give them all a hit though.  Looks, feel, forgiveness, and spin vary quite a bit from brand to brand in this category, it's really critical to be fit for them.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Ping G430 MAX 10K 9*, Ventus Black 6X
Ping G430 MAX 3W 15*, Ventus TR Red 7X
Ping G430 MAX 7W 21*, Ventus TR Blue 8X 

Ping i230 4i DG 120 S300

Ping Blueprint S, 5-PW DG 120 S300

Titleist Vokey SM9 50F, 54S, 58M

Odyssey Ai-One Jailbird Mini CH /or/ Tri Hot 5K Seven CH

i just got fit for the PXG 0211. they are a progressive set so the longer irons have more offset and are more GI whereas the short and mids are closer to players distance. great deal on them now and recommend getting fit.

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

3 minutes ago, Hougz79 said:

I was in a similar boat as you about 5 years ago.  IMO the biggest change in the past 5 years is the development and maturation of the "players distance" category.  I would bet you'll get a lot of feedback and recommendations that look very similar their signature blocks...LOL.  I'm just as guilty.  Many of the OEMs make a very solid product in this category.  

Stalwarts in this category are the TM P790 line, Mizuno JPX, Titleist T200, Callaway Apex, and Ping i210 or i500 (depending if you want "feel with very good distance" or "distance with a little feel").  TM P770 is the new kid on the block getting a lot of attention.  If I were you I would give these each a swing.  

I have gamed Apex 16, PIng i210 (and i200),  and now TM P770 in this category.  Also have gamed 3 versions of AP2 (712, 716, 718) and MP-18MMC.  It is hard to find a better combo of feel, looks, and meaningful forgiveness than i210.  I switched to P770 mostly for a more compact look and better turf interaction for my swing.  Gamed the i210 for 18 months with almost zero complaints.  Coming from Ping already, it would be an easy transition. 

Give them all a hit though.  Looks, feel, forgiveness, and spin vary quite a bit from brand to brand in this category, it's really critical to be fit for them.  

Thanks for the reply.  I've been looking at the Ping i210 vs i500.  Ping is an easy transition for me as I've been playing a red dot for a long time now.

1 minute ago, Rbsiedsc said:

i just got fit for the PXG 0211. they are a progressive set so the longer irons have more offset and are more GI whereas the short and mids are closer to players distance. great deal on them now and recommend getting fit.

Its funny, because I've been out of golf so long, I didnt even know PXG was a real brand.  I drive by the PXG store in Atlanta all the time.  I thought it was just a fancy Golftec.  I just realized they were a high end golf brand 2 weeks ago. 

They've offered to bring their fitting truck to my local range, but dont want to ask them to come unless I'm ready to buy as I know they'll convince me.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Incognito said:

I want to retain somewhat of a "players" look. But I would also like some of this new tech thats in the new clubs.  I could use some extra forgiveness and yards, as it seems that EVERYONE hits it further than me these days.  (I dont know my swing speed, but I carry my full 7 iron currently around 160 yds).

I think this bit is the important bit... do you want to add distance or do you think the rust will shake off and you’ll regain some?

i, personally, hate the feel of distance irons... they tend to feel springy or hollow. Honestly, I’d start with a ping fitting. They tend to be low pressure and will give you honest feedback vs you s56. 

That should at least get you to what sort of clubs you are looking for... from there just find the brand you like most.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

3 minutes ago, Myherobobhope said:

I think this bit is the important bit... do you want to add distance or do you think the rust will shake off and you’ll regain some?

i, personally, hate the feel of distance irons... they tend to feel springy or hollow. Honestly, I’d start with a ping fitting. They tend to be low pressure and will give you honest feedback vs you s56. 

That should at least get you to what sort of clubs you are looking for... from there just find the brand you like most.

I think I'll get my swing back to manageable soon.  Just need more reps.  I'm a few years older, just that much more wiser and more patient.  

I never had and issue with my distance, even though I'm a relatively short hitter. But the courses just keep getting longer and everyone around me seems to hit it further and further.  Starting to understand the market demand for a "players distance" iron.

If you have the opportunity, GO GET FITTED. Once you feel like your swing is reasonably consistent, and close to where you want it, you'll benefit from that FAR more than asking for advice from people who have never seen your swing and know nothing about it.

Barring that, go to a big box store like PGTSS, Dick's, etc., and hit a bunch of clubs. Their club fitters can be hit or miss, but you'll at least be able to try a bunch of different brand/types of clubs, and get an idea of what type of clubs give you a feel you like and have launch monitor numbers to compare and back it up.

Once you get an idea of what you like and what works for you, check out some of the DTC lines. I just recently bought a set of irons from Sub 70 (699 Pros), and the experience could not have been better. Incredible customer service, and incredible clubs at well below what you pay for major manufacturer clubs. The CEO, Jason Hiland, even lists his own cell number on the site, and is more than happy to talk club tech with you. I had half a dozen conversations with him during the process of demoing clubs and eventually building my set. Great guy, great company, and a GREAT product. I've heard similar good things about New Level as well.

17 minutes ago, SecondandGoal said:

If you have the opportunity, GO GET FITTED. Once you feel like your swing is reasonably consistent, and close to where you want it, you'll benefit from that FAR more than asking for advice from people who have never seen your swing and know nothing about it.

Barring that, go to a big box store like PGTSS, Dick's, etc., and hit a bunch of clubs. Their club fitters can be hit or miss, but you'll at least be able to try a bunch of different brand/types of clubs, and get an idea of what type of clubs give you a feel you like and have launch monitor numbers to compare and back it up.

Once you get an idea of what you like and what works for you, check out some of the DTC lines. I just recently bought a set of irons from Sub 70 (699 Pros), and the experience could not have been better. Incredible customer service, and incredible clubs at well below what you pay for major manufacturer clubs. The CEO, Jason Hiland, even lists his own cell number on the site, and is more than happy to talk club tech with you. I had half a dozen conversations with him during the process of demoing clubs and eventually building my set. Great guy, great company, and a GREAT product. I've heard similar good things about New Level as well.

I intent to go get fit once I settle into a smaller set of choices.  Just dont want to test "everything".  Having an idea of brand helps choose the fitters, as most seem to push their brand over others.  

First things first, getting fit for the right shaft for your swing today is very, very important.  I LOVE my 718 AP2's with PX-LZ 6.0shafts.  I tried the exact same club with the stock AMT white shafts and absolutely hated the feel. 

When it comes to the irons though, the good news is there are tons of great options to pick from, none are bad clubs, more just a matter of what works for you so have fun with it and look at everything.  I live in Atlanta too, I would start by going to one of the PGASS's here in town that has demos of just about everything and hit 3 to 5 balls with every iron you can find that isn't a blade or a game improvement shovel.  My guess is you will immediately dismiss at least half and that 2 or 3 will immediately catch your eye, maybe even brands you weren't expecting like Srixon. 

From there you can see about which ones you really want to dig into but to start I would try to hold as many clubs as possible in the flesh and see which fit your eye.  In the end you may end up back w/ Ping but then again, you may not ?

Enjoy the hunt, that's the fun part!

P.S. sent you a PM with one other suggestion.

Edited by Jarlaxle

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

3 minutes ago, Jarlaxle said:

First things first, getting fit for the right shaft for your swing today is very, very important.  I LOVE my 718 AP2's with PX-LZ 6.0shafts.  I tried the exact same club with the stock AMT white shafts and absolutely hated the feel. 

When it comes to the irons though, the good news is there are tons of great options to pick from, none are bad clubs, more just a matter of what works for you so have fun with it and look at everything.  I live in Atlanta too, I would start by going to one of the PGASS's here in town that has demos of just about everything and hit 3 to 5 balls with every iron you can find that isn't a blade or a game improvement shovel.  My guess is you will immediately dismiss at least half and that 2 or 3 will immediately catch your eye, maybe even brands you weren't expecting like Srixon. 

From there you can see about which ones you really want to dig into but to start I would try to hold as many clubs as possible in the flesh and see which fit your eye.  In the end you may end up back w/ Ping but then again, you may not ?

Enjoy the hunt, that's the fun part!

thanks!  looks like I'm gonna have to be "that guy" at PGASS that just eats up a bay for an hour. ?

6 minutes ago, Incognito said:

thanks!  looks like I'm gonna have to be "that guy" at PGASS that just eats up a bay for an hour. ?

P.S. I wasn't kidding about Srixon.  Coming from Ping you may not like how they set up behind the ball but if you are looking for forged feel but with the help of a cavity back, they are definitely worth trying.

P.P.S. Also manufacturers are designing their irons intentionally to be blended so as you are checking out irons, consider your options there too.  I play AP3 long irons and AP2 from 6 down.  I'm not consistent enough to hit an AP2 4 iron but don't need the help of an AP3 on a 9 iron.  Combo set gives the best of both worlds.  Heck, Philly Mick blends 4 different Callaway irons. 

https://www.nationalclubgolfer.com/news/phil-mickelson-witb-2020/

Edited by Jarlaxle

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

16 minutes ago, Incognito said:

I intent to go get fit once I settle into a smaller set of choices.  Just dont want to test "everything".  Having an idea of brand helps choose the fitters, as most seem to push their brand over others.  

There are plenty of brand-agnostic fitters out there. Not a fitting cart for a manufacturer, but someone whose sole business is fitting. Club Champion is a nationwide chain that does it, though they have a tendency to push you toward more expensive clubs and shafts. 

Edited by SecondandGoal

Welcome back to Golf! 
Ping i210 irons are really good so most importantly is to find right shaft. Be sure to test Mizuno JPX 919 or 921 Forged or Hot Metal Pros !
Good luck on your search. 

Ping G430 Max 10K 9* as 10* HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 S

Taylormade BRNR  UST ProForce 65 Retro Burner R

Callaway Apex 21 Hybrid 20*  UST MAMIYA RECOIL 75 DART S

Ping i525   5 - Gap  Ping AWT 2.0 S

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 54*/10  KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 58* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115

Callaway PM Grind 19  Tour Grey 61* KBS HI-REV 2.0 115 

Odyssey Ai-ONE Rossie S Putter

Callaway 24'Chrome Tour Yellow/Titliest 24' AVX Yellow

I was in your shoes last year but after a 20 year layoff.  I went to get fitted and came back with i210s from Ping eye2s.  I love the heads, but I didn't really understand shafts at the time of the fitting.  Since then, I have had them reshafted, which wasn't cheap.  Make sure you get fitted first, and second, make sure you either go to a good a knowledgeable fitter that is going to spend a lot of time with you, or you research the SH!T out of every piece of the club, and learn how it effects flight.  Finding the right shaft and lie angle is every bit as important as the head itself and maybe more important

Edited by jpbova

Gunga Galunga Golf - Golf Photography

20 minutes ago, SecondandGoal said:

There are plenty of brand-agnostic fitters out there. Not a fitting cart for a manufacturer, but someone whose sole business is fitting. Club Champion is a nationwide chain that does it, though they have a tendency to push you toward more expensive clubs and shafts. 

thanks.  looks like they have 2 locations near me.  I'll check them out. 

21 minutes ago, Phil Major said:

Welcome back to Golf! 
Ping i210 irons are really good so most importantly is to find right shaft. Be sure to test Mizuno JPX 919 or 921 Forged or Hot Metal Pros !
Good luck on your search. 

thanks!  looks like I'm going to be doing 5 years of golf spending in 1 month.  ?‍♂️

• Like 1

Ping i210 or PXG 0211 ... you're welcome!

• Like 1

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver @ 12.0º Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w @ 21.5º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h @ 23.0º / 5h @ 27.0º Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 6-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag: Ping Eye2+ 3-SW Graphite

OP, sounds like you are a Ping guy?! i210s for sure are must to try. Other than that, go in with an open mind to a good fitter, use the Mizuno shaft optimizer and see where it takes you?! Lots of good stuff out there, just need to find that right head/shaft combo?!

Ping Hoofer Lite

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

Mizuno 243 5-GW

Mizuno T24 54/S, 58/D

Mizuno OMOI #2

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅