Reed caught improving lie again

Dave D

22 hours ago, ThinkingPlus said:

WOver and over and over again in slow motion if necessary.

Exactly!!!

This is why between your statement and @davep043's, I too pay them no heed. 

Though I am in the minority that like Patrick(and Justine, lolol), there is no way that I would rationalize or defend him, or anyone else, if they were found to have been intentionally cheating. 

He jokingly made a comment that he has his own video monitor/observer in the truck who follows his every shot, from his first tee shot to his last putt, lolol

At least I thought that he was joking?

As an aside, and though it has absolutely nothing to do with this topic, since we've pretty much beat the sh*t outa both the topic and the horse, plus I'm overdue for a derailment, I think that Patrick's greatest achievement to date as a Professional was his successfully Monday Qualifying for SIX of EIGHT Tour Events back in the beginning!!

The few of ya that have tried that road can tell the rest just how incredibly unbelievably and virtually impossibly difficult just getting in on ONE Monday Q is, however, as I told him after a few pops, if it wasn't documented, I'd have called "bullsh*t," to 6/8 ??

Carry On?

Cheers?

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 4

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

"if the OVERALL VIEW is that what he did is against the integrity of the rule, how does that not support the argument?"

".considering THERE ARE MANY who agree it was not within the integrity or definition of grounding ones club."

?????

I absolutely ADOOOORE this place??????!!!

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends

RP

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Once a person has earned the reputation of being a liar, cheater, thief, or a coward, it's pretty tough to shake.  Reed earned his reputation as a cheater - not from a single incident, but from multiple incidents over time - and he's going to be playing defense for a long time, if not indefinitely, because of it.

It doesn't help that he comes across as not very likable.  Now, for the record, I'll give him the same benefit of the doubt that I have DeChambeau and some of the others.  Maybe he's really a decent guy and just seems unlikable, but there's some kind of vibe the guy gives off.  I was watching the 2018 Masters at my girlfriend's.  She has ZERO interest in golf, knows nothing about it, nor who any of the players are.  Reed popped up on the screen and she blurted out:  "Eeeww...that guy looks like he smells like a fart."  ? 

What I see in the video is something I avoid doing. I may let the weight of the club take effect. But, that looks like he's pressing down. That, in my mind, has always been the crossover from addressing the ball to improving one's lie. That said...I've seen many people on tours do what he's doing. (oh...and in before lock)

Edited by BeerPerHole

14 hours ago, BeerPerHole said:

What I see in the video is something I avoid doing. I may let the weight of the club take effect. But, that looks like he's pressing down. That, in my mind, has always been the crossover from addressing the ball to improving one's lie. That said...I've seen many people on tours do what he's doing. (oh...and in before lock)

I disagree, but I don't think either of us can tell for sure watching only a close-up view of the clubhead  My impression is that he's very gently lowering the club until it comes to rest.  That's the way I'd approach a difficult lie, lowering the clubhead slowly, watching to make sure I don't cause the ball to move.  If it starts to wobble (oscillate), I can stop the movement and avoid grounding the club for the shot.  If I CAN ground the club safely, I also learn a little bit about the depth of grass under the ball.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Kilo1545 said:

Once a person has earned the reputation of being a liar, cheater, thief, or a coward, it's pretty tough to shake.  Reed earned his reputation as a cheater - not from a single incident, but from multiple incidents over time - and he's going to be playing defense for a long time, if not indefinitely, because of it.

It doesn't help that he comes across as not very likable.  Now, for the record, I'll give him the same benefit of the doubt that I have DeChambeau and some of the others.  Maybe he's really a decent guy and just seems unlikable, but there's some kind of vibe the guy gives off.  I was watching the 2018 Masters at my girlfriend's.  She has ZERO interest in golf, knows nothing about it, nor who any of the players are.  Reed popped up on the screen and she blurted out:  "Eeeww...that guy looks like he smells like a fart."  ? 

The vibe is that of a driven type A.    He doesn’t walk around with a fake smile on kissing butt like most do.  I love that.  I suppose I just identify with that outlook on life.  It’s based in reality.  Vs the fake smiles and hand holding we see from others.  

• Like 1

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

17 hours ago, BeerPerHole said:

(oh...and in before lock)

Just out of curiosity, what posts or responses would lead ya believe that a lock is comin? I don't see one inflammatory or troll level nasty post

Everyone has been decent, some actually educational and none nasty??‍♂️

As always, just my .03 worth?

Cheers?

RP

Later Edit: 09/24/2020, 11:35am~ So much for my observation???RP II

Edited by Forged4ever
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, Forged4ever said:

Just out of curiosity, what posts or responses would lead ya believe that a lock is comin? I don't see one inflammatory or troll level nasty post

Everyone has been decent, some actually educational and none nasty??‍♂️

As always, just my .03 worth?

Cheers?

RP

The mere mention of PR throws people into a frenzy of finger-pointing.  

One minute we're talking about Bryson and the US open and how we dislike the USGA for things we can't control and the next minute someone mentions Reed and people start jumping on the pile, getting new tattoos and claiming a lockup.   

What's next a swarm of locust? 

• Haha 1

It happens all the time among other tour players. Just cause it’s Patrick Reed. He is a douchebag cheater. I’m not a fan of the guy. But I don’t hate him to put his game under a microscope each time. Weight of the club versus strands of grass. Come on now. Doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. 

Edited by I'_rather_be_golfing
  • Like 3

With the advent of camera angle and the details we can see, this to me isnt improving the lie. He was grounding his club like any player would do. He is taking a risk since like others have said, the ball might have moved. I did watch him pick something out of the bunker behind his ball during the US open and thought that was a penalty. Hey what we dont catch is allowed. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

13 minutes ago, llewol007 said:

With the advent of camera angle and the details we can see, this to me isnt improving the lie. He was grounding his club like any player would do. He is taking a risk since like others have said, the ball might have moved. I did watch him pick something out of the bunker behind his ball during the US open and thought that was a penalty. Hey what we dont catch is allowed. 

I suggest you read rule 12.2

removing loose impediments in bunkers is allowed and includes any reasonable touching or moving of sand while doing so.

Titleist TSR4 9° Tensei AV White 65

Titleist TSi3 strong 3w 13.5° Tensei AV White 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TSR3 24° Diamana Ahina

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

1 minute ago, Shilgy said:

I suggest you read rule 12.2

removing loose impediments in bunkers is allowed and includes any reasonable touching or moving of sand while doing so.

Ya but when he picked up the twig, he placed the ball on the tee and hit a marvelous wedge shot. Haaaaa haaaa

Thats what I mean, we see things and we dont see things. Depends what the camera angle gets you and if there is a camera following you. Im wondering how many players along with Reed, do little things that they probably did in college and never thought a thing of it. Kinda like that player who improves his lie on every shot and becomes so accustom to doing it, doesnt see it as wrong. Reed is your casual rule breaker and it is now becoming apparent. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I roll the ball when it's in a crappy, burned out area with no grass and I'm having a bad day with a bad back. And I move it from a footprint in the new no-rake traps.

I'll take a video and post it some day so y'all can scold me.

• Like 2

bought out by private equity.

capitalization, grammar and reasoning slashed as a cost reduction.

18 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

I have a confession to make. Sometimes I roll the ball when it's in a crappy, burned out area with no grass and I'm having a bad day with a bad back. And I move it from a footprint in the new no-rake traps.

And you know we will. 😉

23 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

You ain't done nothing if you did it half way.  If you're gonna raise hell, you better damn raise hell right...and just place your ball on the green!

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

1 hour ago, llewol007 said:

Ya but when he picked up the twig, he placed the ball on the tee and hit a marvelous wedge shot. Haaaaa haaaa

Thats what I mean, we see things and we dont see things. Depends what the camera angle gets you and if there is a camera following you. Im wondering how many players along with Reed, do little things that they probably did in college and never thought a thing of it. Kinda like that player who improves his lie on every shot and becomes so accustom to doing it, doesnt see it as wrong. Reed is your casual rule breaker and it is now becoming apparent. 

So on one hand you want to say he didn’t break the rule but want to add it’s apparent he is a casual rule breaker?  Even though you don’t know the rule but still insist he broke it? How does that make sense?

This is what you posted about Reed...

I did watch him pick something out of the bunker behind hisball during the US open and thought that was a penalty. Hey what we dont catch is allowed. 

6 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

So on one hand you want to say he didn’t break the rule but want to add it’s apparent he is a casual rule breaker?  Even though you don’t know the rule but still insist he broke it? How does that make sense?

This is what you posted about Reed...

I did watch him pick something out of the bunker behind hisball during the US open and thought that was a penalty. Hey what we dont catch is allowed. 

I am saying that you probably missed a lot of players grounding their club the same way and missing the same accusations. My example about the bunker was a bad one and was more of a joke because the camera angle didnt allow you to see what he was doing in the bunker when he reached down. Anyways, it really has become an issue with Reed and more and more that he tries breaking the rules, he will be penalized for it. 

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

27 minutes ago, llewol007 said:

I am saying that you probably missed a lot of players grounding their club the same way and missing the same accusations. My example about the bunker was a bad one and was more of a joke because the camera angle didnt allow you to see what he was doing in the bunker when he reached down. Anyways, it really has become an issue with Reed and more and more that he tries breaking the rules, he will be penalized for it. 

Got it...so you knew in your first post the addressing he ball was not a penalty.....and now know the bunker was a penalty...but double down saying Reed is trying to break rules.

32 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Got it...so you knew in your first post the addressing he ball was not a penalty.....and now know the bunker was a penalty...but double down saying Reed is trying to break rules.

One question I have is, why would Peter Kostis name him if there wasn't some real problems?  Kostis still teaches and likely wants to get clients, so he's not going to lob something like this willy nilly, I don't think.  That's a big red flag imho.

42 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

Well since you are so spot on it is as clear cut as some of the responses on this thread. Right?? Some say he is just grounding his club and some say he is improving his lie. This probably happens often in the course where a player sets his club down than backs away. Probably not caught on camera either. That’s my point. Not sure why the need to come off like you’re a rules official. 

Edited by llewol007

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

On 9/24/2020 at 7:57 PM, Juice1121 said:

I do not like Patrick Reed, but this is nothing. Really, this is not illegal at all, would you suggest everyone just hover at all times and never ground their club? 

I have to agree..  I see PGA pros doing this all the time.. Especially John Rahm...

I know it doesn't make it right, but I guess it's acceptable..  Since everyone does this.

Can a caddie carry a Weed Wacker in the bag?  

49 minutes ago, Bluefan75 said:

One question I have is, why would Peter Kostis name him if there wasn't some real problems?  Kostis still teaches and likely wants to get clients, so he's not going to lob something like this willy nilly, I don't think.  That's a big red flag imho.

I was referring to these two incidents. The grounding the club one was allowed by the rules. The bunker one was a post not knowing the rule. 
The earlier one, was it at the Hero(?), was clearly a flagrant violation. No question.

35 minutes ago, 8602081 said:

I have to agree..  I see PGA pros doing this all the time.. Especially John Rahm...

I know it doesn't make it right, but I guess it's acceptable..  Since everyone does this.

Can a caddie carry a Weed Wacker in the bag?  

It’s not just pros it’s acceptable to, its allowed in the Rules of Golf.  I would say he was approaching the line of allowable but not over it.

• Like 1

Someone may have already said it. Isn't that the same as guys in the rough pulling 3 wood -putting in down behind the ball 8-9 times and then grabbing an iron to hit ....kinda flattening the area behind the ball? 

Titleist  TSi2 8.0 TPT 14.5 LKP LT LW 
Ping G400 14.5* TPT 15 LKP LT LW 

Ping i210 4-PW TT Elevate Tour X
Cleveland tour raw 52, 56, 60 DG x100
Byron Morgan- HG-DH89
Titleist PV1x
Jones Utility Trouper-Carry
Ogio Silencer Alphard E-wheels

I would wager a guess that we all do the same every time we play as this current Reed issue. From above it looks like nothing...just assessing the lie...from the side and zoomed in with HD cameras and slo mo ? It looks completely different.