VOTE - Best Career So Far Volume 1: Zach Johnson Vs Henrik Stenson

VOTE - Best Career So Far Volume 1: Zach Johnson Vs Henrik Stenson  

37 members have voted

1. 1. To this point, whose career would you rather have?

• Henrik Stenson
    • Zach Johnson

A couple of 44 year olds who have both had incredible careers. My guess is that this will go to Zach, but I think it should be closer than most might initially think...

Victories

Zach - 12 (12 PGA Tour, 1 European)

Henrik - 16 (5 PGA Tour, 11 European)

Major Championships

Zach - 2 (The 2007 Masters, 2015 Open)

Henrik - 1 (2016 Open)

Team Appearances

Zach - 6 Ryder Cup (10-8-2 Overall and 4-1-1 Singles)

Henrik - 5 Ryder Cup (10-7-2 Overall and 3-2-0 Singles)

Zach - 4 Presidents Cup (10-6-1 Overall and 2-2-0 Singles)

Earnings

Zach - PGA Tour - $45,119,172, European Tour (I can't find any earnings for him on the European Tour Website???)

Henrik - PGA Tour - $31,406,590, European Tour - $32,940,363

Other Wins

Zach - 2013 Hero World Champion (Not included in his win total)

Henrik - 2013 Fed Ex Cup Champion, 2013 Race To Dubai Champion, 2016 Silver Medal at the Olympics and 2019 Hero World Champion, which isn't included in his win total.

The Case for Zach

He has more PGA Tour Victories and another Major Championship. His record in Team Appearances is astonishingly good considering he's been on the losing side of 5 out of his 6 Ryder Cups. Zach will likely be inducted to the World Golf Hall of Fame due to having won multiple Major Championships. 

The Case for Henrik

He is a Fed Ex Cup Champion. He is the first to ever win both the Fed Ex Cup and Race to Dubai in the same season. It appears as though his career earnings are significantly higher. His PGA Tour Victories are some of the most prestigious: The Players Championship, The Tour Championship, WGC Match Play. Having a Silver Olympic Medal is pretty cool, too.

Who Would you take?

Edited by gunmetal
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So there will be a lot more of these? ?    Spiderman vs. Chuck Norris - wait that's not even a contest.   Superman vs. Chuck Norris - oops, not a contest either.   Honest

Chuck Norris vs Mike Austin?  

That's a tough one.  But I'll go Chuck.

27 minutes ago, Hawkeye77 said:

So there will be a lot more of these? ? 

Spiderman vs. Chuck Norris - wait that's not even a contest.

Superman vs. Chuck Norris - oops, not a contest either.

Honestly, they both have exceptional careers and are entitled to everything they've earned. 

I don't ever sit around thinking I'd want someone else's life or career.

Still, may be fun for some so have at it!

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Dr. Block said:

• Like 2
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
1 minute ago, tbowles411 said:

They're probably related, lol.  They ought to both get together and give Brooks "the bruce" Koepka a blanket party

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Dr. Block said:

They're probably related, lol.  They ought to both get together and give Brooks "the bruce" Koepka a blanket party

I'd be on board with that!

• Like 2
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
PING Bruzer

ZJ won at the home of golf and at Augusta.  Even if those were his only two wins I'm taking his career over Stenson's 100 times out of 100.

I'd rather have Henrik's ball striking ability and swing though.

• Like 1

10.5 Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero Triple Diamond Evenflow Blue 65
Callaway Epic Flash 3 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Epic Flash 5 wood Tensei Blue 75
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-PW Project X 6/0
Callaway MD 4 Forged 50, 54
MD PM Grind 58 and 64
Odyssey MXM 9 HT
Taylormade TP 5 X

Oh, I'd take Stenson's career, but Zach is probably more well known, at least to us. LOL

G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
4 minutes ago, tbowles411 said:

Oh, I'd take Stenson's career, but Zach is probably more well known, at least to us. LOL

I agree. I think Zach probably ends up in the Hall of Fame on account of the two majors. If we didn't look at majors like we do, I'd take Henrik's career. I think, lol.

Stenson has the edge if you look att the OWGR, right?

He was no. 2 for a while and was top 20 in 2007-2010 and a consistent top 10 player 2013-2017. Except a dip in 2011-2012 he has been ranked higher than Zach since 2006.

• Like 1

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?

Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17°
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° and 24°
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

Zach has never stripped down to his underwear during a tournament but he does have the reflexes of a cat.  Honestly, I just used this as an excuse to post that video of the air horn.  Priceless.

Edited by kozubs
  • Like 1
49 minutes ago, ebk said:

Chuck Norris vs. Monte?

Colin Montgomery?  In what, a pie eating contest?  If it’s a pie eating contest I’m taking Tim Herron 

Edited by Dr. Block
12 hours ago, ebk said:

Monte, not Monty...

Norris's hair was always kind of flat and lifeless - point Monte.

But probably because staying fit, kicking butts and hours on the workout machine rendered hair product superfluous - multiple points Chuck.

Monte's only chance is when they face off Chuck makes the mistake of saying, "this feels weird" - at that point Monte will annihilate him.

This is a tough one. Johnson has the second major, although he didn’t win either in the manner Stenson won his. Stenson had that spectacular career collapse and then resuscitation to win the FedEx and Open and is a great character know for his dry wit and practical jokes. 

On the career, Johnson, marginally. On who I’d rather have a few drinks and a chat with, Stenson all the way. 

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik 10.5 (+1), HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
Callaway Epic 15 (+1), HZRDUS Yellow 6.0
Callaway Apex 19 hybrid, PX Catalyst 70 6.0
Srixon 585/785 4-PW, NS Pro 980 S
Cleveland 50/54/58, NS Pro 980 S
Edel E-2

On 9/22/2020 at 11:07 AM, Hawkeye77 said:

So there will be a lot more of these? ? 

Spiderman vs. Chuck Norris - wait that's not even a contest.

Superman vs. Chuck Norris - oops, not a contest either.

Honestly, they both have exceptional careers and are entitled to everything they've earned. 

I don't ever sit around thinking I'd want someone else's life or career.

Still, may be fun for some so have at it!

100% - I wasn't trying to imply that we should all want to ditch our careers/lives for one of these two guys', but I certainly could have worded the the title/question a little better. It was just a comparison between a couple of 44 year old Professional golfers who have both had great careers but depending on how you measure success you could argue that one has been more successful than the other. 

Henrik feels like a way bigger talent, but he had seal the deal problems, whereas Zack in his prime was a winner. Zack putted for the dough. Better golf brain gave him surprisingly many victories. Poisonous player. Comparing their victories, I’d say that FedEx and Dubai weighs up the extra major. Did Zack have any really big wins outside the majors like Henriks Players(biggest scandinavian win by a male at the time)?

39 minutes ago, gunmetal said:

100% - I wasn't trying to imply that we should all want to ditch our careers/lives for one of these two guys', but I certainly could have worded the the title/question a little better. It was just a comparison between a couple of 44 year old Professional golfers who have both had great careers but depending on how you measure success you could argue that one has been more successful than the other. 

Your posts in this thread displayed a certain "level of vicariousness" when compared to your other posts.  

Here's my take - either way I'm in the HoF, my family is financially set for life multiple generations down, and I can be proud of what I've accomplished professionally and personally (i.e. neither player had any lingering regrets on the course nor personal scandals off of it).

But Zach gets to go back to Augusta every year.  For the rest of his life.  That's my guy.

Titleist 915D4 9.5*
Titleist 909f3 15*
Titleist 913h 19*
Cally RAZR MB 4-PW
Edel 50/54/58
Lajosi DD201

1 hour ago, Ferguson said:

Your posts in this thread displayed a certain "level of vicariousness" when compared to your other posts.  

Yeah. Maybe that could be why I indicated I could have worded the question a bit better.

35 minutes ago, Fairway14 said:

Zach Johnson because the Champions Dinner at Augusta National would be a fun annual happening.

That actually could seal the deal for me. Getting to back every year and compete (even if you've fallen off a bit a la Mike Weir/Trevor Immelman) would be special but that dinner table?!?!? Unbelievably cool.

ZJ has the better trophy case but I'd take Henrik's career.  He was a legitimately great player.  ZJ was a good player for a long time who being honest overachieved a bit.  To me there's value in Henrick's run of being one of the best players in the world and knowing you have a chance to win every week.  I'll remember Stenson's performance at Troon holding off Phil and Stenson's 3 wood shots more than I'll remember anything about ZJ's career even though his venues for major wins are incredible.

We shouldn't undermine some Stenson's other win such as:

• Players Championship
  • WGC
  • 2 FedEx Cup tournaments

Also he has won:

• The FedEx Cup
  • 2 x Race of Dubai champion

Johnson has only won 1 FedEx tournament. It feels the Masters win has swayed many people including myself! ?

• Like 1