How to Ship a Single Golf Club or Driver?

Lowlowz

I am trying to put together a good resource for users on How to Ship a Golf Club or Driver

What have you found is the best and most cost effective way to ship a single club or driver?

Will a 6x6x48" box work for most drivers?

Have you found a cylinder or poster tube that is cheap and works well?

Which carrier do you use?

I've seen some people tape usps priority boxes together but didn't know if i should include a tutorial on how to do that haha.

TYIA

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lowlowz said:

I am trying to put together a good resource for users on How to Ship a Golf Club or Driver

What have you found is the best and most cost effective way to ship a single club or driver?

I've seen some people tape usps priority boxes together but didn't know if i should include a tutorial on how to do that haha.

TYIA

I always ship out clubs in the boxes I receive other clubs in. If I don't have a dedicated golf box lying around, I go to my local fitter or golf store and ask for a spare box. Golf stores almost always have spare golf boxes lying around that they will otherwise throw away and so they're happy to give them to you.

I would never ship a golf club in anything other than a dedicate box for golf clubs. It's easier, the dimensions are always correct, sometimes they come with certain protectors or foam pieces in there that hold the club safely in place.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, tgoodspe1991 said:

I always ship out clubs in the boxes I receive other clubs in. If I don't have a dedicated golf box lying around, I go to my local fitter or golf store and ask for a spare box. Golf stores almost always have spare golf boxes lying around that they will otherwise throw away and so they're happy to give them to you.

I would never ship a golf club in anything other than a dedicate box for golf clubs. It's easier, the dimensions are always correct, sometimes they come with certain protectors or foam pieces in there that hold the club safely in place.

Thanks! I'll have to stop by a shop this weekend. Do you use FedEx?

Just now, Lowlowz said:

Thanks! I'll have to stop by a shop this weekend. Do you use FedEx?

USPS Priority. They are usually the cheapest by a wide margin and still provide tracking. I haven't ever had an issue with lost or damaged packages. I used to use UPS a long time ago, but the prices for shipping larger items like golf clubs through UPS and FedEx has skyrocketed.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm sure people have their own stories. But UPS tends to cost twice as much for me, and they broke the last driver I shipped. Sticking with USPS. 

I tend to buy more than I sell, so I always have boxes around. 

• Thanks 1

PING G400 MAX 10.5*, HZRDUS HC Yellow

Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Wood - THE GOAT

Cobra F6 Baffler 18*, AD DI 8

Callaway Apex UW 21*, LA Trono 75

Srixon 585 5, Z785 6-PW Modus 120S

50/54/58 Cleveland Zipcore

I buy and sale quite a bit here and on eBay and I always package items as I would want them shipped to me. 

Couple ways I package - 
I use FedEx and Usps , depending on what it is and where it’s going. 
Anyone can order Usps boxes free of charge. I order the 38x6x6 boxes(driver generally doesn’t fit in these) and when shipping a single shaft I cut and use two. Close the first one completely after adding packaging I tape it, then cut a hole in the top and slide the shaft through. Cut the length needed from the other and tape very well with bubble wrap in the to box. Fedex has boxes free on site. Usps doesn’t stock the 48” box in my area so I get the larger Fedex box for drivers and either turn it inside out for Usps or use FedEx , depending on price and delivery time.    
If it’s a golf bag , I use a lamp box from Uhaul store for $4 , if I don’t have one. Appropriate shipping /package should be common sense , but I’ve received Items from members here and big stores with no packaging. Kind of blows my mind. 

• Thanks 1

I have found that if the head is able to be removed, you can save on overall length of the package.  Can sometimes save an additional $3-$5 on shipping.  

- KC 

• Thanks 1

Titleist TSi3 8° 

TEE EXS 220 3 Wood

Titleist TSi2 3 Hybrid

TEE C721 4-PW

Cleveland CBX ZipCore 50,54

Cleveland RTX ZipCore 58

Bettinardi XM Tour Proto

It's so hard to find a box. It would be nice if stores sold brand new boxes they purchase in bulk for something like $2 a piece. I can't help with the box but I keep shipping weight down by using air pillow/cushions.

I save every air pillow/cushion that I get from amazon and other online retail order and use those. Literally have mountains of them in my closet. That way I don't have to cram it full of packing paper/peanuts (too expensive!) or newspaper.

I don't buy used clubs often but the few times I did the boxes have almost always been filled with all sorts of trash or nasty newspaper for packing . Quite honestly disgusting and probably weighs more than using the air pillows.

Edited by Howshameless
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, bradski said:

if you can take the club apart.   the best thing I have seen shafts shipped in was pvc pipe.  then I would send the head separate 

You've found it cheaper to send them separate? Do you ship both priority or one priority and the other first class? Seems like one would arrive way sooner than the other if so  and be more expensive... boxes are not that hard to come buy. With the Covid deal , I can see it more difficult though.

• Thanks 1

On 9/22/2020 at 3:38 PM, Lowlowz said:

TYIA

Checked out the link , USPS and FedEx don't charge for boxes  , UPS does. USPS will deliver them to you for free if you sign in for a free account. FedEx , they have them free in store. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
52 minutes ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

FYI, I just shipped a driver at the UPS store. Had to buy the box from them and with $400 insurance, my total was about $72. Never again. Live and learn. 

Gotta be careful with the dimensions.  Probably an inch or two shorter, and the cost would have been way less

Yadi for President

I really like the box I got from Callaway Pre-owned when I bought my 5 wood. But it isn't big enough for a driver.

I shipped my last driver in a 6x6x48 box.

PXG 0211 with Hzrdus Black RDX 60

PXG 0211 5 and 7 wood 

Adams Pro DHY 3

Haywood MB irons 4-PW

Mitsubishi Kuro Kage 80g iron shafts

Haywood 52/10 and 56/12 wedges

Nike Blue Chip 002 putter

Golf Pride Concept Helix grips 

"You're not good enough to get mad at your bad shots!" - Bill Murray

On 2/19/2021 at 5:53 PM, BYK said:

Gotta be careful with the dimensions.  Probably an inch or two shorter, and the cost would have been way less

Yep.  And never pay that much to ship any golf clubs, just leave and do some research.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Wilson FG62 5, 7, 9

Vokey SM7 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

1 hour ago, lefthack said:

I really like the box I got from Callaway Pre-owned when I bought my 5 wood. But it isn't big enough for a driver.

I shipped my last driver in a 6x6x48 box.

One way of getting around that is taking off head.  Lots of times you can wrap the head and send it securely in a smaller wood box

Yadi for President

Anyone but USPS priority - single club price hovers around $20 insured these days.  Don’t fall for cheaper claims posted here using that service.  FedEx or UPS will likely be cheaper provided you trim down box length.  FedEx will be a little quicker delivery wise over UPS for the same price.

Edited by Buzzkill

Handicap:  3

16 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

Anyone but USPS priority - single club price hovers around $20 insured these days.  Don’t fall for cheaper claims posted here using that service.  FedEx or UPS will likely be cheaper provided you trim down box length.  FedEx will be a little quicker delivery wise over UPS for the same price.

It all depends on the size of the box. I almost choked when she told me total price to ship the driver one state away. 

1 hour ago, Buzzkill said:

Update: Just crunched some numbers for the following services.  Everything is based on weight of 3lbs, box size of 4x4x46, insured $400, going from Colorado to Florida.

USPS = $23.20, add $6 for signature, $29.20 total

Fedex = $24.80, add $6.70 for signature, $31.50 total

UPS = $26.45, add $5.25 for signature, $32.00 total

***prices very close imo, surprised that USPS was the lowest, wouldn't use them though at the moment with their documented substandard delivery performance***

You could knock off about 5 bucks on each carrier if you didn't insure, the world certainly is full of idiots.

Edited by Buzzkill

21 minutes ago, Buzzkill said:

Update: Just crunched some numbers for the following services.  Everything is based on weight of 3lbs, box size of 4x4x46, insured $400, going from Colorado to Florida.

USPS = $23.20, add $6 for signature, $29.20 total

Fedex = $24.80, add $6.70 for signature, $31.50 total

UPS = $26.45, add $5.25 for signature, $32.00 total

***prices very close imo, surprised that USPS was the lowest, wouldn't use them though at the moment with their documented substandard delivery performance***

You could knock off about 5 bucks on each carrier if you didn't insure, the world certainly is full of idiots.

That can't be right. The driver I shipped was in the same size box you mentioned and went from PA to NJ via UPS Ground. My total was $72

One other thing you can do is ship the shaft in pvc tube and head in a smaller box.  Cuts down big time.  Usually you can use UPS one rate that way too.  Or use the triangle USPS Priority mailers cutting two together and again ship shaft separate.  This slims dimensions down too.  Check it out sometime.

order all your USPS packaging free on the USPS site.  Whatever you want all free and they will deliver them to your house.

Edited by Cleveland_Rocks

7 minutes ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

That can't be right. The driver I shipped was in the same size box you mentioned and went from PA to NJ via UPS Ground. My total was $72

You got screwed, or your box was too long.  Even 1 inch can sky rocket you into balloon rates.  UPS is very afordable.  I've been using them over USPS a lot lately.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Wilson FG62 5, 7, 9

Vokey SM7 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

9 minutes ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

Don’t know what to say.  Punched in same numbers all 3 sites and I know for a fact those numbers are spot on.  Shipped way to many clubs and always calculate my cost before dropping off.

1 hour ago, Cleveland_Rocks said:

One other thing you can do is ship the shaft in pvc tube and head in a smaller box.  Cuts down big time.  Usually you can use UPS one rate that way too.  Or use the triangle USPS Priority mailers cutting two together and again ship shaft separate.  This slims dimensions down too.  Check it out sometime.

order all your USPS packaging free on the USPS site.  Whatever you want all free and they will deliver them to your house.

They don't have boxes big enough to send drivers or even irons unless you put two together, which does not make a good appearance in my opinion, although i have done it in a pinch.

Edited by wobgon

9 minutes ago, SkrappyHacker1 said:

Would they allow people to tape 2 of the triangular tube boxes together? 

You need to cut the end off one and slide one down inside the other to make preferred length and then tape, But not something i would do on a regular basis.

Edited by wobgon

7 minutes ago, wobgon said:

You need to cut the end off one and slide one down inside the other to make preferred length, But not something i would do on a regular basis.

I've done this on many occasions, when done right it's actually significantly more structurally sound than a single triangular box.  The problem is that not many people take the time/effort to do things right so it can be an epic fail.

Edited by brew4eagle
  • Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 PNT 19*

Wilson FG62 5, 7, 9

Vokey SM7 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

That’s good you don’t.  It works great as long as you take the time to do it right.  I’ve done it plenty of times with no complaints.  Use some bubble wrap and some strengthening inside the joint and taping securely there are no issues at all.  I’m not talking about “ Country Fried Videos” this thing together.  It can be done properly with some common sense and care.

• 6 months later...