2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Stronger Players - 7 wood?

Sabzor

This season I switched out of 3 wood in favor of a 4 wood since I found 3 wood was getting too close to my driver off the tee making it kinda redundant. My SS is about 115+ and typically I carry D (295), 4W(250), 3h(220), then irons. Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same? Often you hear of it going too high but I feel that even the 4w is pretty optimal for me. My thought process is mainly around having 2 versatile distance woods starting around 250yds down - I figure off the tee if I need more than 250 I'm hitting driver anyway. Just curious with some of the pros we've seen lately doing the same thing.

• Like 1

I have 117 chs and when I bought my newest set I went with g400max driver @9 and g400 5 wood and 7 wood.

the 3 wood was going too far and decided I would rather play the 5 wood at 42.5 and the 7 wood at 41.5.

The setup worked well through winter and spring but once it got real hot and humid the 7 wood started going real far to the point I could literally leave either of the fairway clubs at home and be fine just with the other.  

eventually I determined the 7 wood was going too far and left too big of a gap between my 5 wood and 4 iron. 

I replaced it with a g400 4h @ 22 with a Aldila tour 110 gm shaft

5w-260

7w-240

4h-220

4i-210

Big fan of the 7 wood. Main thing is to get the right shaft — stiff enough — as they often come with softer shafts. Easy to hit and easy to stop. I have landed many 7 woods on greens that stopped dead. 

• Like 1

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

I expect I'm on the lower end of "stronger" for the younger guys but here goes - I have been working on a similar scenario. My driver is about 260 carry and my 4 wood about 235 and my home course is very short and mostly need only 220 off the tee for the tight holes so I have been looking at various options. I finally decided on a cheap 24 deg. hybrid component with a light head that I would put in what amounts to a 7 wood length shaft and use that for the tight holes 210-215. I chose this head because the face is square which is impossible(?) to find in a 7 wood and I draw the ball.  Unfortunately, the component company sent me the wrong head, they sent me a 5 wood instead haha. I guess I'll give it a try, it should be longer than my 7 wood but still not too long for tight holes on my short home course 

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning. 

Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focused have 7 woods with COG that are too low, and you can get high spinny flights. But the Titleist 7 woods (esp. TS2) have not been a problem for me. And obviously some of the TaylorMade guys are doing well with the SIM 7 wood.

Edited by uglande
  • Like 2

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

1 hour ago, Sabzor said:

Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same?

Dustin Johnson has a 7-wood. I think Singh, Dufner, Leishman and probably a few more Tour players have all played with a 7-wood.

http://www.golfwrx.com/630104/7-woods-are-back-did-they-ever-really-go-away/

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

I've played the 7w on and off for quite some time, SS is probably around 110 nowadays so a bit behind you. For me it plays like a 5w and was better than a hybrid for my game as those tend to hook on me. I've since taken it out of the bag in favor of the modern more hittable driving irons, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in the bag.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, uglande said:

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning. 

Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focused have 7 woods with COG that are too low, and you can get high spinny flights. But the Titleist 7 woods (esp. TS2) have not been a problem for me. And obviously some of the TaylorMade guys are doing well with the SIM 7 wood.

This is exactly what I was looking at - my TS2 4 wood currently has the T100 evenflow 6.5 75g and was no doubt going to use the same but in 85g for the TS2 7 wood. I guess its almost like 4/7 is the new 3/5 since those are flying so far. At a certain point if I'm 275 away from a green I'm probably laying up anyway.

I've had this thought recently as well. My swing speed range is roughly in the 115-120 range. I've played a three wood and a five wood for the last few seasons, but I rarely ever hit the three wood and I favor the five. I'm thinking of adding a SIM four wood, and a SIM Max 7 wood to the bag. The last hybrid I got along with was the 2009 Rescue TP, not for lack of trying. 

• Like 1

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

I keep thinking about a 7 wood. For the benefit of hitting it off the fairway as apposed to the Utility that I really love that is a bit of a one trick pony off the tee. I can hit it off the fairway as well but just not as consistent and it comes in really flat. 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I love the 4w, 7w combo.  Still have the Cally xr16 in both and can't get them out of the bag.  My only issue with the 7w is when there is a significant amount of headwind.  I do have a little bit of difficulty flighting it down.  This problem, however, is nowhere near bad enough to have me thinking of any kind of change.  That 7w lands like a raindrop on the green.

12 minutes ago, L29 said:

I love the 4w, 7w combo.  Still have the Cally xr16 in both and can't get them out of the bag.  My only issue with the 7w is when there is a significant amount of headwind.  I do have a little bit of difficulty flighting it down.  This problem, however, is nowhere near bad enough to have me thinking of any kind of change.  That 7w lands like a raindrop on the green.

Move it back in your stance — not much, 1 or 2 balls — and make a smooth swing and it will power through the wind!

• Like 4

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 10.5 w/Diamana TB 60S

PXG GEN6 5 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Yamaha RMX VD 7 wood w/Diamana S-plus 70 stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro hybrid (22) w/Aldila Tour Blue 85 stiff hybrid

Wilson Staff Model CB 5-G w/DG s300 shafts

Edel T grind 54 w/Nippon 125 wedge shaft

Fourteen RM-12 58 w/Dynamic Golds400

Axis1 Rose putter, 34 inches

If a player tends to be on the lower end of delivered/dynamic loft with fairway woods, the seven wood can be a wonderful tool. This is true particularly for a player that delivers less loft AND tends to struggle with hybrids.

• Like 1

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I am using a SIM 5 wood set 2* open (17*)@ 42.75" and a SIM Max 7 @ 42.25" woods both with Hzrdus Smoke Green shafts.  Best combos I have hit for a long time.  5 wood is so much easier of the deck and the 7 wood, I can dial it down to 210-215 or up to 225-230 on a full swing.  

Titleist TSr3 10*(-.75*) Ventus Blue TR 6

Callaway Paradym TD 18* (-2*) Ventus Red TR 7

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke TD 20* Ventus Blue TR 7

Titleist T350 4 Iron KBS $-Taper Onyx

Titleist T200 (23') 5-PW KBS $-Taper

Vokey SM9 W.W. RAW 48F/54M/58V KBS $-Taper Onyx  

Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K #7 CH

Not quite as fast as the OP but I've swapped one of my hybrids for a higher lofted fairway wood and I love it.

As some have said, shaft is gonna be key for the fast swinger. I'd go with something heavy and low launching in X-Stiff at your speed

Titleist TSR3 10* | Fujikura Ventus Black 6S

Titleist TSR2 15* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S

Callaway UW 19* | Graphite Design Tour AD MJ 8X

Titleist T350 4I | True Temper AMT Red S300

Titleist T200 5-GW | Project X IO 6.0 

Cleveland RTX6 Zipcore 54* Mid | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Callaway RTX6 Zipcore Raw 60* Low | Nippon Modus 115 Wedge

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 | BGT Stability Carbon

Srixon Z Star Diamond

I was using a 7 wood a few years ago.  It was an Adams Fast 12 7, however it was 19* which to me was always a 5 wood growing up.  What a great club.  

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

Considering today's long shafts and large heads, modern 5-woods serve the function formerly served by 3-woods, and current 7-woods equate to yesterday's 5-woods.

• Like 4

Cleveland TL310 10.5* driver

Cleveland HB Launcher 15* 3-wood

Srixon H65  19* 3 hybrid and 22* 4 hybrid

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, mvhoffman said:

I was using a 7 wood a few years ago.  It was an Adams Fast 12 7, however it was 19* which to me was always a 5 wood growing up.  What a great club.  

I remember them and the daft lofts they had, or should i say what they called each loft, 5 wood was 17* as well from memory

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

2 hours ago, Fairway14 said:

Considering today's long shafts and large heads, modern 5-woods serve the function formerly served by 3-woods, and current 7-woods equate to yesterday's 5-woods.

Exactly....my 7 & 9 woods are really just 5 & 7 woods from the '80s

• Like 1

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 9/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, QuigleyDU said:

I keep thinking about a 7 wood. For the benefit of hitting it off the fairway as apposed to the Utility that I really love that is a bit of a one trick pony off the tee. I can hit it off the fairway as well but just not as consistent and it comes in really flat. 

If you have a clear mind

Once you hit the 7 wood, it becomes quite apparent at the ease of use. Especially over that driving iron or traditional iron. My grouping with a 7 wood is far superior to any other option.

Take 7wd - driving iron- hybrid and traditional iron. Go to a par 3 that has water short as your miss. Guaranteed your grouping will be tighter with 7wd

• Like 4

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

7 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

If you have a clear mind

Once you hit the 7 wood, it becomes quite apparent at the ease of use. Especially over that driving iron or traditional iron. My grouping with a 7 wood is far superior to any other option.

Take 7wd - driving iron- hybrid and traditional iron. Go to a par 3 that has water short as your miss. Guaranteed your grouping will be tighter with 7wd

No disagreement from me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I replaced my 4i/4h with a 7-wood last year, and it's been great. It's a go-to club for me from 195-200, and will fly high and stop on greens. If I choke it down, I can turn it into a 180-185 club as well, if I need that shot to come in high, or carry a steep-lipped front bunker. I also find it's rarely very far off line.

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 7:14 AM, Sabzor said:

Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same?

I'm a medium-strength golfer that has played some variation of 4W + 7W for the past nine seasons. Right now, Rogues are making entry into bag.

Stronger players? We'll lead with pros and follow with amateurs.

First modern awareness of 7Ws came at the 2004 US Senior Open at Bellerive in St. Louis. Had a chance to look in bags at the warm-up range, and probably one-third of the field had a 3-5-7 setup in the fairway woods. This was right before the hybrids arrived with a bang across golfdom.

More recently, several pro players have used a 7W regularly - or occasionally - in tournaments. Last year 

Jason Dufner carried a 21° Titleist 915F, Keith Mitchell carried a 21° Titleist TS2. and Scott Stallings carried a 21° Titleist 917F2. Tommy Fleetwood, Bubba Watson and Marc Leishman also play 7W on occasion.

Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

As for amateurs, it depends on whether one likes FWs or hybrids best. In the case of Rogue 7Ws, finding on in R-flex is difficult. Plenty in Ladies and Amateur (senior). This is after sourcing both eBay and Callaway PreOwned. Then you jump to Rogue SubZero, and quite a few 7Ws with more robust shafts are available.

My experience with 7Ws: Blows the ball out of medium rough like nobody's business. Good for longer approach shots, especially if going into elevated greens if you need a softer landing. Can be used for longish par 3 holes, and occasionally for tight tee shot on those tiny par 4s with no real landing area. If in doubt, try this test...

On 9/24/2020 at 10:56 AM, animalgolfs said:

Edited by ChipNRun
Spelling.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

That spot in the bag was always problematic for me.  Hybrids went left.  Long irons were hard to hit and didn't go high enough or spin enough with my paltry swing speed.  Tried an old Nike 7w with an S200 steel shaft a few years ago.  It just ballooned like crazy.  Never seen anything like it.  Bought a 21° Titleist 917f with a stiff blue board shaft off eBay a couple months ago and it's money for me.    Same as goaliedad above, it's my 190-200 yd club.  

As I slow down in SS (108-110) I have struggled to find the right club for the 200-210 gap. I've tried the 4-iron, 21-25** hybrid, and the 21* 7WD. Thru trial and error and just flat out playing numerous rounds I've decided to go with the 7WD. For my game it's proven to be more reliable off the tee, from the fairway, medium to light rough, and even as a chipper around the green. 

Now to decide if testing a 9WD to replace the 5-iron is worth the test...

The answer to better golf is hit it better, farther, and make more putts.

Admittedly I have only been playing a few months after 25 years off, but I am in a similar scenario: Swing speed (Driver) of 112-115, hitting a 4-wood 275.  I went to a 2-iron from Mizuno (Hi-Fli MP18).  I hit that thing 250-255 and it is the sweet spot between the 4 wood and my 4-iron (220). I could theoretically swap out the 2 for a 3 iron I suppose, but I really like the consistency and feel of a forgiving long iron. The 4-wood is interesting as it just seems to fly off the club and hold up in the air forever.  I can hit more of a knock-down shot with the 2-iron.  Might be worth hitting several different clubs to see if you like the iron or the wood vs the hybrid.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

That spot in the bag was always problematic for me.  Hybrids went left.  Long irons were hard to hit and didn't go high enough or spin enough with my paltry swing speed.  Tried an old Nike 7w with an S200 steel shaft a few years ago.  It just ballooned like crazy.  Never seen anything like it.  Bought a 21° Titleist 917f with a stiff blue board shaft off eBay a couple months ago and it's money for me.    Same as goaliedad above, it's my 190-200 yd club.  

I have the 818 H2 3 19-degree and it is a great club!  I also have the 917 4Wood.  Consistently 240-250 for me on the 818 and somehow always seems to go straight, even with bad toe misses.  917 goes 275 and is also easy to hit.  I should just hit that off the tee each time as I am pretty much guaranteed to playing from the fairway.  I tried a TS3 based on how I liked those clubs and hated it.  

Edited by RoyalMustang