Stronger Players - 7 wood?

This season I switched out of 3 wood in favor of a 4 wood since I found 3 wood was getting too close to my driver off the tee making it kinda redundant. My SS is about 115+ and typically I carry D (295), 4W(250), 3h(220), then irons. Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same? Often you hear of it going too high but I feel that even the 4w is pretty optimal for me. My thought process is mainly around having 2 versatile distance woods starting around 250yds down - I figure off the tee if I need more than 250 I'm hitting driver anyway. Just curious with some of the pros we've seen lately doing the same thing.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you have a clear mind   Once you hit the 7 wood, it becomes quite apparent at the ease of use. Especially over that driving iron or traditional iron. My grouping with a 7 wood is far supe

I find the Fw are just so more versatile.  If I choke up on the 7wood can get more on top of the ball and play it like a hybrid.   Great thing is that I can produce a controlling cut with a 7 wood    

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning.    Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focu

I have 117 chs and when I bought my newest set I went with g400max driver @9 and g400 5 wood and 7 wood.

the 3 wood was going too far and decided I would rather play the 5 wood at 42.5 and the 7 wood at 41.5.

The setup worked well through winter and spring but once it got real hot and humid the 7 wood started going real far to the point I could literally leave either of the fairway clubs at home and be fine just with the other.  

eventually I determined the 7 wood was going too far and left too big of a gap between my 5 wood and 4 iron. 

I replaced it with a g400 4h @ 22 with a Aldila tour 110 gm shaft

5w-260

7w-240

4h-220

4i-210

I expect I'm on the lower end of "stronger" for the younger guys but here goes - I have been working on a similar scenario. My driver is about 260 carry and my 4 wood about 235 and my home course is very short and mostly need only 220 off the tee for the tight holes so I have been looking at various options. I finally decided on a cheap 24 deg. hybrid component with a light head that I would put in what amounts to a 7 wood length shaft and use that for the tight holes 210-215. I chose this head because the face is square which is impossible(?) to find in a 7 wood and I draw the ball.  Unfortunately, the component company sent me the wrong head, they sent me a 5 wood instead haha. I guess I'll give it a try, it should be longer than my 7 wood but still not too long for tight holes on my short home course 

Macgregor M-38 9.5 - Mondeo 5w - Heater BMT-3 4i - Acer XV Tour 5i-9i, G, S - Maltby LW - Bionik 105

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning. 

Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focused have 7 woods with COG that are too low, and you can get high spinny flights. But the Titleist 7 woods (esp. TS2) have not been a problem for me. And obviously some of the TaylorMade guys are doing well with the SIM 7 wood.

Edited by uglande
  • Like 2

Titleist TS3 Driver (Ventus Blue)

Titleist TS2 3W 4W 7W (Ventus Blue)

Mizuno MP-20 Blades 4i-Pw (Modus 120)
Titleist Vokey SM8 54D 58M (Modus 120)
Titleist Scotty Cameron Flowback 5.5 | Pro V1x
1 hour ago, Sabzor said:

Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same?

Dustin Johnson has a 7-wood. I think Singh, Dufner, Leishman and probably a few more Tour players have all played with a 7-wood.

http://www.golfwrx.com/630104/7-woods-are-back-did-they-ever-really-go-away/

I've played the 7w on and off for quite some time, SS is probably around 110 nowadays so a bit behind you. For me it plays like a 5w and was better than a hybrid for my game as those tend to hook on me. I've since taken it out of the bag in favor of the modern more hittable driving irons, but I wouldn't hesitate to put it back in the bag.

1 hour ago, uglande said:

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning. 

Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focused have 7 woods with COG that are too low, and you can get high spinny flights. But the Titleist 7 woods (esp. TS2) have not been a problem for me. And obviously some of the TaylorMade guys are doing well with the SIM 7 wood.

This is exactly what I was looking at - my TS2 4 wood currently has the T100 evenflow 6.5 75g and was no doubt going to use the same but in 85g for the TS2 7 wood. I guess its almost like 4/7 is the new 3/5 since those are flying so far. At a certain point if I'm 275 away from a green I'm probably laying up anyway.

I've had this thought recently as well. My swing speed range is roughly in the 115-120 range. I've played a three wood and a five wood for the last few seasons, but I rarely ever hit the three wood and I favor the five. I'm thinking of adding a SIM four wood, and a SIM Max 7 wood to the bag. The last hybrid I got along with was the 2009 Rescue TP, not for lack of trying. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 9* @ 7.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 7x

TaylorMade SIM Ti 19* @ 17.5* / Fujikura Ventus Black 8x

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 (18*)  / Mitsubishi MMT UT 105tx

Mizuno CLK 4 (22*) / Fujikura Ventus Black 10tx

Mizuno MP-20 MMC (5-7) / ?

Mizuno MP-20 MB (8-PW) / ?

Callaway MD5 Jaws 50w / ?

Callaway MD5 Jaws 54x & 60lbw / ?

Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5 & Fastback 1.5

I keep thinking about a 7 wood. For the benefit of hitting it off the fairway as apposed to the Utility that I really love that is a bit of a one trick pony off the tee. I can hit it off the fairway as well but just not as consistent and it comes in really flat. 

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I love the 4w, 7w combo.  Still have the Cally xr16 in both and can't get them out of the bag.  My only issue with the 7w is when there is a significant amount of headwind.  I do have a little bit of difficulty flighting it down.  This problem, however, is nowhere near bad enough to have me thinking of any kind of change.  That 7w lands like a raindrop on the green.

12 minutes ago, L29 said:

I love the 4w, 7w combo.  Still have the Cally xr16 in both and can't get them out of the bag.  My only issue with the 7w is when there is a significant amount of headwind.  I do have a little bit of difficulty flighting it down.  This problem, however, is nowhere near bad enough to have me thinking of any kind of change.  That 7w lands like a raindrop on the green.

Move it back in your stance — not much, 1 or 2 balls — and make a smooth swing and it will power through the wind!

• Like 1

If a player tends to be on the lower end of delivered/dynamic loft with fairway woods, the seven wood can be a wonderful tool. This is true particularly for a player that delivers less loft AND tends to struggle with hybrids.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I am using a SIM 5 wood set 2* open (17*)@ 42.75" and a SIM Max 7 @ 42.25" woods both with Hzrdus Smoke Green shafts.  Best combos I have hit for a long time.  5 wood is so much easier of the deck and the 7 wood, I can dial it down to 210-215 or up to 225-230 on a full swing.  

Taylormade T.I. SIM 9.4* Tensei White CK Pro 60
Taylormade SIM 5 Wood (-1.5*) GD Tour BB 7
Taylormade SIM Max 7 wood Hzrdus Smoke Green 70 

Srizon u85 20* KBS Tensei White HY 90

Mizuno 921 HMP 4,5,6 DYG TI X100
Mizuno 921 Forged 7-PW DYG TI X100
Cleveland RTX ZipCore Raw 52M/58M DYG TI Onyx X100 
Bettinardi Tour Proto Hexperimental 6.0 Cresent Neck

Not quite as fast as the OP but I've swapped one of my hybrids for a higher lofted fairway wood and I love it.

As some have said, shaft is gonna be key for the fast swinger. I'd go with something heavy and low launching in X-Stiff at your speed

PING G410 LST 10.5* - Tensei AV RAW White 65TX

Callaway BB 816 Alpha 16* - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 18* - Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 8X

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X

PING G25 5-SW - Project X PXI 6.0

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 S200

PING Nome TR

I was using a 7 wood a few years ago.  It was an Adams Fast 12 7, however it was 19* which to me was always a 5 wood growing up.  What a great club.  

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Golf Pride MCC +4 Standard Blue with 2 wraps
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1
Putter Shaft/Grip:   Plumbers Neck - Custom PX 5.5 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion 2.0 XL

Flow Neck - Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0

Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3 Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

1 hour ago, mvhoffman said:

I was using a 7 wood a few years ago.  It was an Adams Fast 12 7, however it was 19* which to me was always a 5 wood growing up.  What a great club.  

I remember them and the daft lofts they had, or should i say what they called each loft, 5 wood was 17* as well from memory

DRIVER: Taylormade Sim Max 9*

3 WOOD: Adams Tight Lies TI 15*

5 WOOD: Taylormade SLDR 19*

HYBRID: Adams Pro DHY 21 & 24*

IRONS: Ping I500 6-PW

WEDGES: Titleist SM7 Raw 50/54/58*

PUTTER: Taylormade Dupage

BALL: Taylormade TP5x

On 9/23/2020 at 10:36 AM, QuigleyDU said:

I keep thinking about a 7 wood. For the benefit of hitting it off the fairway as apposed to the Utility that I really love that is a bit of a one trick pony off the tee. I can hit it off the fairway as well but just not as consistent and it comes in really flat. 

If you have a clear mind

Once you hit the 7 wood, it becomes quite apparent at the ease of use. Especially over that driving iron or traditional iron. My grouping with a 7 wood is far superior to any other option.

Take 7wd - driving iron- hybrid and traditional iron. Go to a par 3 that has water short as your miss. Guaranteed your grouping will be tighter with 7wd

• Like 3

Ping Sunday Bag
9 Clubs of Freedom

7 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

If you have a clear mind

Once you hit the 7 wood, it becomes quite apparent at the ease of use. Especially over that driving iron or traditional iron. My grouping with a 7 wood is far superior to any other option.

Take 7wd - driving iron- hybrid and traditional iron. Go to a par 3 that has water short as your miss. Guaranteed your grouping will be tighter with 7wd

No disagreement from me. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade SIM 9 Project X Green 60TX

Fairway Finder: Taylormade Original One 13.5 Ventus Red 9X
Taylormade Gapr low 2 ventus blue 9x
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
Wedges 50, 54, 60 Cleveland ZIPCORE
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; Bridgestone BX, OR Taylomade TP5x PIX

I replaced my 4i/4h with a 7-wood last year, and it's been great. It's a go-to club for me from 195-200, and will fly high and stop on greens. If I choke it down, I can turn it into a 180-185 club as well, if I need that shot to come in high, or carry a steep-lipped front bunker. I also find it's rarely very far off line.

• Like 1
On 9/23/2020 at 7:14 AM, Sabzor said:

Lately I've been interested in possibly swapping the hybrid for a 7 wood and wanted to see if there were any stronger players who did the same?

I'm a medium-strength golfer that has played some variation of 4W + 7W for the past nine seasons. Right now, Rogues are making entry into bag.

Stronger players? We'll lead with pros and follow with amateurs.

First modern awareness of 7Ws came at the 2004 US Senior Open at Bellerive in St. Louis. Had a chance to look in bags at the warm-up range, and probably one-third of the field had a 3-5-7 setup in the fairway woods. This was right before the hybrids arrived with a bang across golfdom.

More recently, several pro players have used a 7W regularly - or occasionally - in tournaments. Last year 

Jason Dufner carried a 21° Titleist 915F, Keith Mitchell carried a 21° Titleist TS2. and Scott Stallings carried a 21° Titleist 917F2. Tommy Fleetwood, Bubba Watson and Marc Leishman also play 7W on occasion.

Stallings said this in a Sept 2019 Golf Digest article (p. 36):

"My 7 wood is a more versatile than a utility iron. I can hit it high or low, and the height on full shots into par 5s is so helpful, especially when you're coming in from 240 to 260 yards. I've found a utility 2- or 3-iron doesn't stop very well from that distance."

As for amateurs, it depends on whether one likes FWs or hybrids best. In the case of Rogue 7Ws, finding on in R-flex is difficult. Plenty in Ladies and Amateur (senior). This is after sourcing both eBay and Callaway PreOwned. Then you jump to Rogue SubZero, and quite a few 7Ws with more robust shafts are available.

My experience with 7Ws: Blows the ball our of medium rough like nobody's business. Good for longer approach shots, especially if going into elevated greens if you need a softer landing. Can be used for longish par 3 holes, and occasionally for tight tee shot on those tiny par 4s with no real landing area. If in doubt, try this test...

19 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

That spot in the bag was always problematic for me.  Hybrids went left.  Long irons were hard to hit and didn't go high enough or spin enough with my paltry swing speed.  Tried an old Nike 7w with an S200 steel shaft a few years ago.  It just ballooned like crazy.  Never seen anything like it.  Bought a 21° Titleist 917f with a stiff blue board shaft off eBay a couple months ago and it's money for me.    Same as goaliedad above, it's my 190-200 yd club.  

As I slow down in SS (108-110) I have struggled to find the right club for the 200-210 gap. I've tried the 4-iron, 21-25** hybrid, and the 21* 7WD. Thru trial and error and just flat out playing numerous rounds I've decided to go with the 7WD. For my game it's proven to be more reliable off the tee, from the fairway, medium to light rough, and even as a chipper around the green. 

Now to decide if testing a 9WD to replace the 5-iron is worth the test...

JBeam Bullet 10* Ventus Black 6X
Exotics CBX 119 13.5* 3WD & 18* 5WD Accra TourZ 382 M5
Exotics CB2  21* 7WD Accra TZ5 85 M5  
MIURA CB57 5-9 Mitsubishi MMT-125TX
MIURA Tour Milled Wedge 48, 52, 56, 60 Fuji MCI 125 Solid

Bettinardi Innovai Tour DASS Flowneck Prototype

Admittedly I have only been playing a few months after 25 years off, but I am in a similar scenario: Swing speed (Driver) of 112-115, hitting a 4-wood 275.  I went to a 2-iron from Mizuno (Hi-Fli MP18).  I hit that thing 250-255 and it is the sweet spot between the 4 wood and my 4-iron (220). I could theoretically swap out the 2 for a 3 iron I suppose, but I really like the consistency and feel of a forgiving long iron. The 4-wood is interesting as it just seems to fly off the club and hold up in the air forever.  I can hit more of a knock-down shot with the 2-iron.  Might be worth hitting several different clubs to see if you like the iron or the wood vs the hybrid.  

1 hour ago, LeoLeo99 said:

That spot in the bag was always problematic for me.  Hybrids went left.  Long irons were hard to hit and didn't go high enough or spin enough with my paltry swing speed.  Tried an old Nike 7w with an S200 steel shaft a few years ago.  It just ballooned like crazy.  Never seen anything like it.  Bought a 21° Titleist 917f with a stiff blue board shaft off eBay a couple months ago and it's money for me.    Same as goaliedad above, it's my 190-200 yd club.  

I have the 818 H2 3 19-degree and it is a great club!  I also have the 917 4Wood.  Consistently 240-250 for me on the 818 and somehow always seems to go straight, even with bad toe misses.  917 goes 275 and is also easy to hit.  I should just hit that off the tee each time as I am pretty much guaranteed to playing from the fairway.  I tried a TS3 based on how I liked those clubs and hated it.  

Edited by RoyalMustang