2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

Stronger Players - 7 wood?

Sabzor

1 hour ago, dmael said:

You did mean to lower the loft with the hosel adapter, correct?  I have my Epic Flash 7w set at -1 (20* loft), and that's about perfect for me to play in conjunction with a 4-wood that I can adjust from 15.75* to 17.5* loft (I currently have it set at 15.75*, but I often play it at 16.5*).

No I meant add, but not to fix the flight height. Want it to not go as far so I'm playing it at +1 right now.

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

• 3 months later...

I recently put a TSi2 4 wood (16.5) in the bag which is the first fairway Ive had since starting golf 5-6 years ago.  Previously Ive used a 17 deg hybrid in this spot and played an extra wedge.  Its been so good Ive been looking at replacing my hybrid with either a 7 wood (21), 3 hybrid (18-19) or utility iron (like the U510 or TM Sim UDI).

After much testing including on trackman at titleist and TM fitting days etc, the TSi2 (21) 7 wood is an absolute standout for me. I was especially surprised by the difference in dispersion of the 7 wood compared to the TSi2 3 hybrid.  Very forgiving.  I have struggled with accuracy with my hybrid for the last 12 months.  I can now see the 7 wood is clearly the way to go for me.  Launched the highest of the 3 types of club, with good spin numbers and landing angle.  Gapped perfectly between my 4 wood and 4 iron.  I wont have trouble stopping it on the green from 220 yards.  I could also flight it down and hit it both ways.  Really looking forward to putting the 7 wood in the bag.

Edited by ChrisO72
  • Like 3

Cobra LTDx VA Composites Drago 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway VA Composites Drago 75S

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey SM9 54.10S (@53) 

Vokey SM9 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

ProV1X

Last year I added a Tour Edge XCG7 21 degree 7 wood to my bag to go with my 4 Tour Edge Ex 10 16.5 degree 4wood.  BOth have 60 gram Fujikura Fuel Red Stiff shafts in them.

I took out my Titleist 818 H1 21 degree hybrid.

The 7 wood is good off the tee, but is better off the deck.  It is my 215 yard club.  It also doesn’t hook on me like a lot of hybrids.  Definitely has improved my launch and carry distance.  Overall distance is about the same.  

Has made a big difference in my confidence and improved my scoring from 200 + yards. 

• Like 2

Cobra LTDx LS 9 deg. @ -1 with Diamana ZF 60S

Tour Edge C723 13 deg. with Diamana Thump f75 S

Cobra LTDx 15 deg @ +1.5 with Graphite Design Tour AD DI 70 S

Tour Edge E723 21 deg. with Diamana Thump f85 S

Cobra LTDx 24 deg 5 hybrid with Fujikura Fuel 85 S

Corey Paul Cavity Back 5-6 with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul Muscle Back 7-PW with KBS $-Taper 120 S

Corey Paul 50, 54 with KBS Tour V Wedge 125g S

Corey Paul 58 with BGT ZNE 130g Stiff

Odyssey O-Works Black #7 with BGT Stability Tour

7 hours ago, ChrisO72 said:

I recently put a TSi2 4 wood (16.5) in the bag which is the first fairway Ive had since starting golf 5-6 years ago.  Previously Ive used a 17 deg hybrid in this spot and played an extra wedge.  Its been so good Ive been looking at replacing my hybrid with either a 7 wood (21), 3 hybrid (18-19) or utility iron (like the U510 or TM Sim UDI).

After much testing including on trackman at titleist and TM fitting days etc, the TSi2 (21) 7 wood is an absolute standout for me. I was especially surprised by the difference in dispersion of the 7 wood compared to the TSi2 3 hybrid.  Very forgiving.  I have struggled with accuracy with my hybrid for the last 12 months.  I can now see the 7 wood is clearly the way to go for me.  Launched the highest of the 3 types of club, with good spin numbers and landing angle.  Gapped perfectly between my 4 wood and 4 iron.  I wont have trouble stopping it on the green from 220 yards.  I could also flight it down and hit it both ways.  Really looking forward to putting the 7 wood in the bag.

I put the TS2 4 wood into my bag early last year, I struggled for 10 years to find a wood I liked after my driver.  It was a game changer for me.  I tend to find a three wood club and play it for 6 years or so, so I have not even looked at the TSi2.  However I bought a cheap Epic 7 wood last year to experiment with, and it has been good, but not that good.  I keep my eyes out for cheap TS2 7 woods (don't care about the shaft since it is impossible to find them in X flex and I have a shaft for it already), but similarly Ias good as the TS2 4 wood has been I imagine the TS2 7 wood being great too.

I play a hybrid all winter and as the greens and fairways get drier I swap out to the 7 wood, however I am not sold on the Epic.

• Like 1
  • Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - GW Cobra King Tour - Axiom 105X
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

5 minutes ago, driveandputtmachine said:

I put the TS2 4 wood into my bag early last year, I struggled for 10 years to find a wood I liked after my driver.  It was a game changer for me....

Exact same experience for me with the same club. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. It flies with a slightly higher trajectory than my previous 3 wood and about as far. 

I also then dropped my 5 wood and replaced it with the TM SIM Max 7 wood...what a cannon from 210-220 yards out and better landing angle into greens. It replaced my 3 iron which I could never hit as consistently as the SIM-7. 

I should have made those bag changes years ago, damn it

• Like 4

Just got a EX10 7 wood and took it out today for 18 holes. 

Super easy to hit and used it on a lot off the tee on shorter par 4s and an approach on a par 5. Launches high and easy to work both ways.

Already one of my favorite clubs in my bag and fits perfectly between my 16.5 4 wood and my 4 iron. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:05 AM, rmiller_ny said:

Exact same experience for me with the same club. I could kick myself for not doing it sooner. It flies with a slightly higher trajectory than my previous 3 wood and about as far. 

I also then dropped my 5 wood and replaced it with the TM SIM Max 7 wood...what a cannon from 210-220 yards out and better landing angle into greens. It replaced my 3 iron which I could never hit as consistently as the SIM-7. 

I should have made those bag changes years ago, damn it

Now u just need to ditch the 4 iron and just use go high loft on 5 wood and 7 wood

• Like 2

Radspeed 8, 13.5, 17.5/hzrdusgreentx                                                           Radspeed 21/tz4100m5+
Utility one length 3,4 iron/mmt105tx
                                                              Forged one length 6-9/x100 wedge onyx

vokey 46*8, 54*8, 62*8/s400 wedge onyx                                                    phantom x5/stabilitytour

1 hour ago, aquapig said:

Just got a EX10 7 wood and took it out today for 18 holes. 

Super easy to hit and used it on a lot off the tee on shorter par 4s and an approach on a par 5. Launches high and easy to work both ways.

Already one of my favorite clubs in my bag and fits perfectly between my 16.5 4 wood and my 4 iron. 

EX10 fairways are still among the best that Tour Edge has ever produced. I still have several of them, and quite a few guys that I play golf with are still playing EX10 fairways that I fitted them for.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dmael said:

EX10 fairways are still among the best that Tour Edge has ever produced. I still have several of them, and quite a few guys that I play golf with are still playing EX10 fairways that I fitted them for.

Good to know.

For me it was a complete shot in the dark as I couldn't find many 7 woods with stiff shafts. I saw the EX10 listed with a Tour AD shaft and it was only 70.00. Figured I've heard good things about both TEE and the shaft so I pulled the trigger. 

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone who has gamed a SIM Max 7 wood what was the face angle like?

I had a g400 9 wood I set down a degree with blueboard 83X and loved it had to give it back eventually. 

Currently messing around with a SLDR 5HL but not keen on the short face length.

Have found some heavier axivcore green on eBay 85 or 95 which I may get to try in something.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 6:56 AM, aquapig said:

Good to know.

For me it was a complete shot in the dark as I couldn't find many 7 woods with stiff shafts. I saw the EX10 listed with a Tour AD shaft and it was only 70.00. Figured I've heard good things about both TEE and the shaft so I pulled the trigger. 

The EX10 stock shafts are made for shafts and about a flex weak.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2021 at 9:12 AM, SwingMan said:

The EX10 stock shafts are made for shafts and about a flex weak.

And, if I am not mistaken, that Tour AD shaft that was offered in the EX9 and EX10 driver and fairways was a 54 to 56 gram "made for" shaft that had both a high torque rating and played quite weak.

1 hour ago, dmael said:

And, if I am not mistaken, that Tour AD shaft that was offered in the EX9 and EX10 driver and fairways was a 54 to 56 gram "made for" shaft that had both a high torque rating and played quite weak.

Yes - move up a flex and/or get re-shafted

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi Golf Shaft @45 in. (coming soon)
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18/ TPT Golf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H/TPT Golf
  • Ping i230 5-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 or Ping Glide Forged Pro, Both with Nippon 105 
  • Putter:  LAB DF3 TPT Shaft (waiting)
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

6 hours ago, Kruegs_4 said:

If your 7 wood and hybrid are the same degree they should go relatively the same distance but I feel like the 7 wood would offer more workability than a hybrid

How so? The shaft on the 7 wood is generally an inch or more longer, producing greater clubhead speed. For example, a Ping G425 7 wood (20.5 deg) has a stock shaft that's 42". The 4h (22 deg) has a shaft that's 39.75" long, and the 3h (19 deg) has a shaft that's 40.25" long. If one adjusts the 3h to 42 degrees, you're looking at over an inch difference. 

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 7:38 AM, Argonne69 said:

How so? The shaft on the 7 wood is generally an inch or more longer, producing greater clubhead speed. For example, a Ping G425 7 wood (20.5 deg) has a stock shaft that's 42". The 4h (22 deg) has a shaft that's 39.75" long, and the 3h (19 deg) has a shaft that's 40.25" long. If one adjusts the 3h to 42 degrees, you're looking at over an inch difference. 

I agree that a 7-wood will hit the ball further than a hybrid with the same loft.  In my case, I have a Callaway fairway wood with 20* loft (41.5" playing length) and a 20* Tour Edge Exotics hybrid (40" playing length).  The fairway wood is good for about 210 yards all day long and 215+ if I really "jump on it", while the 20* hybrid maxes-out at just short of 200 yards with my best swings.

I'm curious about moving to one after seeing them seemingly taking over on the PGA. Switching to a 4 wedge setup and need to combine my hybrid and 3 iron into 1 club. 

Edited by TLUBulldogGolf

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X
Titleist TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I returned a defective club to CPO recently, and they gave me a damn gift card instead of cash back, so I HAD to buy something from them.  I ended up getting a like-new Epic Flash 7 wood and reshafted it with a D+ 80 at stock length.  So far, I'm pretty impressed with it.  I get a nice ball flight out of it that doesn't go too high and it still gets through the wind decently.  I lofted it down to 20* to help with any possible hooking issues and to gap better with my 16.5* 4 wood.  So far, so good.  

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

For the last 15 years or so, I carried Driver, 3w, hybrid or utility iron, 4-P,G,S&L.  The hybrid and utility irons had pro's and cons.  The utility iron was long and accurate from the tee and fairway but misses came out low and the club wasn't that useful from the rough.  The hybrid was better out of the rough and overall more forgiving but always felt like a big hook miss was waiting.  I tried a 5w and the gap was a little too big in between my 4i.  This season I tried a 7w, Epic Speed, and it's turned out to be a very useful club.  It's great for long approaches or long par 3 where you need to hit it and stop it quickly and it's very effective out of the rough and bad lies in general.  It's less susceptible to the hook and very forgiving.  Unless you're playing links style golf, a 7w makes a lot of sense for stronger players especially since the manufacturers are now making models aren't purely game improvement style.  All of the big boys now make a good looking, neutral performing 7w head.  The epic speed, TSi's, G425 and SIM Max all fit the bill.

6 hours ago, RobS said:

For the last 15 years or so, I carried Driver, 3w, hybrid or utility iron, 4-P,G,S&L.  The hybrid and utility irons had pro's and cons.  The utility iron was long and accurate from the tee and fairway but misses came out low and the club wasn't that useful from the rough.  The hybrid was better out of the rough and overall more forgiving but always felt like a big hook miss was waiting.  I tried a 5w and the gap was a little too big in between my 4i.  This season I tried a 7w, Epic Speed, and it's turned out to be a very useful club.  It's great for long approaches or long par 3 where you need to hit it and stop it quickly and it's very effective out of the rough and bad lies in general.  It's less susceptible to the hook and very forgiving.  Unless you're playing links style golf, a 7w makes a lot of sense for stronger players especially since the manufacturers are now making models aren't purely game improvement style.  All of the big boys now make a good looking, neutral performing 7w head.  The epic speed, TSi's, G425 and SIM Max all fit the bill.

Exactly!  And don’t overlook the TourEdge Exotics C721 when you are looking at adding a 7-wood to the bag.  Although I still (slightly) favor the Epic Speed because of its adjustability feature, the C721 has a lot of positives going for it.

7 woods are the jam these days. I love mine. It is freaking easy and brainless for all shots..

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

I just picked up a tsi2 7 wood to give it a shot.  Patiently waiting for its arrival.  Never played one before, but am super excited about its potential.  My previous 5 wood was too long and approaching 3 wood length.

My bag will have a 7 wood and 4i UT.  Different uses, but really intrigued with this set up for versatility.  Finally got rid of the 2i spot that was in my bag for years.  Hopefully I can get a little of that back with the way I set up the 4i UT, but obviously it will not be exactly the same.  But the potential of the 7 wood can really help my game and balance it out.

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

The g400 9w turned down to 22.5* is also quite a weapon

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 3w 15.1* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Blueboard Ion 63x

Ping G425 4h 22* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i & s55 7i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

I'm thinking about adding a 21 deg 7 wood as a replacement for my 4 iron, which I hit well but too low to hold the hard elevated greens at my home course. It would be for the two par 5's and one par three at 194 yards slightly uphill into a perennial breeze. I would also use it on numerous short par 4's where accuracy is important. I am also trying to swing easier for control.

What kind of distance can I expect? 205? My s.s. should be in the high 90's at 41.25". My 42.25" 4 wood goes 225 at a little over 100.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

20 minutes ago, chipa said:

I'm thinking about adding a 21 deg 7 wood as a replacement for my 4 iron, which I hit well but too low to hold the hard elevated greens at my home course. It would be for the two par 5's and one par three at 194 yards slightly uphill into a perennial breeze. I would also use it on numerous short par 4's where accuracy is important. I am also trying to swing easier for control.

What kind of distance can I expect? 205? My s.s. should be in the high 90's at 41.25". My 42.25" 4 wood goes 225 at a little over 100.

A 21 deg 7 wood will go substantially farther than a 21 deg 4i due to the shaft length and weight. You may pick up swing speed and with the length 20-25yds over the 4i.

In theory, anyway.

• Thanks 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + CQ6 / MVRKTC 15° + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

On 6/26/2021 at 8:11 PM, cardoustie said:

The g400 9w turned down to 22.5* is also quite a weapon

I Play 7wd in small - as well....both are weapons.

I think I hit my 9wd farther downwind .......never had a club get up & go,  like this G400 9wd.

9 Clubs Sunday Bag

UST Mamiya - Lamkin - RXS 

https://forums.golfwrx.com/topic/1840618-witb-731-full-bag/

On 9/23/2020 at 8:50 AM, uglande said:

I've got a TS2 7 wood with a Ventus Blue 7x shaft and it's phenomenal. Nice height but no ballooning. 

Shaft is important but so is the clubhead. Brands that are more game-improvement focused have 7 woods with COG that are too low, and you can get high spinny flights. But the Titleist 7 woods (esp. TS2) have not been a problem for me. And obviously some of the TaylorMade guys are doing well with the SIM 7 wood.

I now have have the Ping G425 7 Wood in the same shaft (Ventus Blue 7x) and love it. I was worried that the more shallow-faced Ping model would launch too high. It doesn't. This combo is giving me a nice high flight for a soft landing but no ballooning and good distance. My driver SS is 108-111 and I hit the 7W about 230-235 in the air with almost no rollout.

Titleist TSR3 08.75 – AD DI 65x

Titleist TSR2 14.50 – AD DI 75x

Titleist TSR2 17.25 – AD DI 85x

Titleist TSR2 21.00 – AD DI 95x

Titleist T150 4i-6i – X100 Tour

Titleist T100 7i-9i – X100 Tour

Titleist SM09 Pw-Lw – S400 Tour

Titleist Pro V1 – White Hot OG5

I go 3W, 19* 5W strengthened to 18* and a shorter-shafted 19* hybrid weakened to 20.5*, which replaces my 4i. The hybrid can go just as far as the 5W into the wind or rolling out in the fairway, but is easier to work or hit a little harder/softer into par 3s. Down wind the 5W flies forever but goes really high and lands soft. 

I hit driver off the tee almost exclusively. Pull the 3W from the fairway when I need as much distance as possible with plenty of room to miss, and the 5W or hybrid if I want to advance it more conservatively or have a long approach. 

7 minutes ago, bpdhlbrg said:

I go 3W, 19* 5W strengthened to 18* and a shorter-shafted 19* hybrid weakened to 20.5*, which replaces my 4i. The hybrid can go just as far as the 5W into the wind or rolling out in the fairway, but is easier to work or hit a little harder/softer into par 3s. Down wind the 5W flies forever but goes really high and lands soft. 

I hit driver off the tee almost exclusively. Pull the 3W from the fairway when I need as much distance as possible with plenty of room to miss, and the 5W or hybrid if I want to advance it more conservatively or have a long approach. 

I am almost the polar opposite of you in my club selection. After the driver, my next club is a 16.5* Titleist TS2 4-wood (42.75” long). Then, I carry one of the following three clubs: Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 5-wood, set to 20* loft (41.75” long); Callaway Epic Flash 7-wood, set to 20* loft (40.75” long); or TourEdge Exotics C721 19* hybrid @ 40.25” long.  I also use any of these three clubs from the tee on par-4 and even some par-5 holes.  If I hit driver on more than 5 holes in an 18-hole round, it is a lot.  I get a consistent 230+ yards with the 4-wood, and between 200-215/220 yards with the shorter and higher-lofted Callaway fairways (and with the TEE 19* hybrid). Whenever I want to position my tee shot in a specific portion of the fairway or avoid certain hazards and/or bunkers with my tee ball, I hit the 5-wood, 7-wood, or hybrid.

they need to start making 100 gram wood shafts for these 7 woods.  why not a ventus whatever 100x for instance.  Just a thought.  a 22+* hybrid or high lofted wood with a short/heavy shaft is the blunderbuss of golf clubs.  If you play courses with lots of deep rough, trees, and forced carries it becomes something you can use from a huge range of distances/flights/ shot shapes very effectively with some practice.  I tried a 7w for a while but after a couple of shaft changes gave up on it.  I want it 41 or 40.5" with plenty of weight in the shaft but nobody makes a good wood shaft over 80g from what I can tell.  i'm still debating on pulling a DGx100 out of an old wood and throwing it in a 7wood.  the shorter shaft gives you a more steep AOA of course which makes the club far more effective out of the rough and much easier to control IMO.  Everyone is focused on distance so the options for people who want a heavy shafted 7 wood are out of luck apparently.  

TSi3 10 @ 10.75 Ventus Black 6x 45"

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 43"

TS3 18* Hzrdus smoke black RDX  80g 6.5 41.5"

New Level NLU-01 22* and 25* Hzrdus smoke black rdx 100g 6.5
New Level 902-OS 6-P (KBS tour 130x) -1* weak on each

Vokey sm8 50@49/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm9 54@53/10S,

58/4T KBS $ taper HT 125 or 58/8m DGx100 mid TI
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 35"/ 69* Press II