Stronger Players - 7 wood?

Sabzor

I ordered a used 90 something Big Bertha heavenwood to complete my set of 12, 16.5 and 21 degrees. I will probably make it .25" shorter than standard like my 4 wood and it will replace my 4 iron. I think(my course is hilly) my 12 deg carries 255, my 16.5 228 so I believe the 21 deg should be 210. I'll put a 80+ gram X shaft in it.

Big Bertha Titanium 9d - Big Bertha 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, DCI 962 4i, GW  - 8802

6 hours ago, B_of_H said:

they need to start making 100 gram wood shafts for these 7 woods.  why not a ventus whatever 100x for instance.  Just a thought.  a 22+* hybrid or high lofted wood with a short/heavy shaft is the blunderbuss of golf clubs.  If you play courses with lots of deep rough, trees, and forced carries it becomes something you can use from a huge range of distances/flights/ shot shapes very effectively with some practice.  I tried a 7w for a while but after a couple of shaft changes gave up on it.  I want it 41 or 40.5" with plenty of weight in the shaft but nobody makes a good wood shaft over 80g from what I can tell.  i'm still debating on pulling a DGx100 out of an old wood and throwing it in a 7wood.  the shorter shaft gives you a more steep AOA of course which makes the club far more effective out of the rough and much easier to control IMO.  Everyone is focused on distance so the options for people who want a heavy shafted 7 wood are out of luck apparently.  

There is a Ventus 9x and a 10x. Tour only but some of the custom guys have them ( JDs clubs/Will Peoples). I have a Ventus 9x Red in a Mavrik 4 Wood and it is phenomenal 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HateTheHighDraw said:

And to be clear I’m referring to fairway shafts, not hybrids

So is he. There are 9x and 10x Ventus .335 fairways.

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TS2 3W + BF 7 / TSi2 7W + Tour AD MJ 8 / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin +  KBS CT Tour PVD

On 7/1/2021 at 6:30 AM, chipa said:

I'm thinking about adding a 21 deg 7 wood as a replacement for my 4 iron, which I hit well but too low to hold the hard elevated greens at my home course. It would be for the two par 5's and one par three at 194 yards slightly uphill into a perennial breeze. I would also use it on numerous short par 4's where accuracy is important. I am also trying to swing easier for control.

What kind of distance can I expect? 205? My s.s. should be in the high 90's at 41.25". My 42.25" 4 wood goes 225 at a little over 100.

It is perfect for that scenario although it will go further than 4 iron.  Ive been hitting my new 7 wood into greens from 215-220 and it stops within a few feet!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping G400Max 9 deg Tour 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway Hzrdous Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway Hzrdous Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey 54.08M (@53) 

Vokey 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

TP5

8 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

So is he. There are 9x and 10x Ventus .335 fairways.

oh, I see i was misinformed.  nice.  now I have a new project for the fall.  thank you. 

TS3 9.5 @ 10.25 Hzrdus smoke black 60g 6.5 (C4 setting)

TS2 15* Hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (A1 setting)
TS3 18 degree @ 17.25 hzrdus smoke black 70g 6.5 (D1 setting)
P790 UDI 18* (KBS tour 130x)

818h2 19* @ 20* (ck blue 80x at 39.5) 16g neutral, c3 setting

TS3 21* 23* KBS Tour 130x at 38.5" (A3 setting)
Mizuno MP18 (7-Pw), SC (5-6), MMC (4) (KBS tour 130x)

Vokey sm8 50/12 KBS $ taper HT 130, Sm8 56/14 at 55, 60/8 KBS $ taper HT 125
1995 Scotty Cameron by Titleist Newport 35"/ Cameron Futura 6m

5 hours ago, buckethat72 said:

It is perfect for that scenario although it will go further than 4 iron.  I've been hitting my new 7 wood into greens from 215-220 and it stops within a few feet!

Thanks, I think I should be able to expect 210 or so, or 15 yards shorter than my 4 wood. This is just an estimate because I rarely have a stock yardage, my course has a lot of hills and a perennial 1-2 club breeze from the east as I live on an island. I will be using the 7 wood to tee off on the numerous short par 4's (7) and the approach on the two par 5's assuming I hit a really good tee shot. 

• Like 1

Big Bertha Titanium 9d - Big Bertha 4, 7w - Titleist DCI 990B 5i-PW, DCI 962 4i, GW  - 8802

1 hour ago, chipa said:

Thanks, I think I should be able to expect 210 or so, or 15 yards shorter than my 4 wood. This is just an estimate because I rarely have a stock yardage, my course has a lot of hills and a perennial 1-2 club breeze from the east as I live on an island. I will be using the 7 wood to tee off on the numerous short par 4's (7) and the approach on the two par 5's assuming I hit a really good tee shot. 

Agree I do that too - basically look at the gap relative to my 4 wood.  It also stops a lot quicker.

• Thanks 1

Ping G400Max 9 deg Tour 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5 deg fairway Hzrdous Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0

Titleist TSi2 21 deg fairway Hzrdous Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0

Titleist AP3 4-PW+48 Tour AMT white x100

Vokey 54.08M (@53) 

Vokey 58.08M

Taylormade Spider EX putter

TP5

Can anyone recommend a 7 wood that doesn’t have a super low CG?  I have a sim max 3 wood that I love and I tried the matching 7 wood with the same riptide 70 stiff and it seemed to spin too much and launch crazy high.  So I sold it.  Seems like the better player fairways don’t offer 7 woods as an option.  Was gonna try the epic speed as it has a weight that’s more up front in the head.  Any other suggestions?  I just don’t want a hybrid anymore.  Thanks.  

6 minutes ago, ttm27 said:

Can anyone recommend a 7 wood that doesn’t have a super low CG?  I have a sim max 3 wood that I love and I tried the matching 7 wood with the same riptide 70 stiff and it seemed to spin too much and launch crazy high.  So I sold it.  Seems like the better player fairways don’t offer 7 woods as an option.  Was gonna try the epic speed as it has a weight that’s more up front in the head.  Any other suggestions?  I just don’t want a hybrid anymore.  Thanks.  

Taylormade M3 5W lofted up one click with the sliding weight toward the toe still sits open and is low launch/low spin and a smaller profile than most 7 woods offered these days.

• Like 1

Ping G425 LST 10.5 Aldila Rogue White 60TX
Ping G 3 Wood Aldila Rogue Black 110 70TX
Taylormade M3 5W Aldila Rogue Black 80X

Srixon ZXU 4 Recoil F4
Bridgestone Tour B X-CB 5-PW Nippon Modus 120X
Vokey SM6 Black 50F, SM6 54S, SM6 60S
Ping Scottsdale Anser Antique Finish Tungsten Weights to 350G
Scotty Cameron 08 Studio Select Newport 2
Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless NP2 350

On 9/23/2020 at 8:03 AM, dmeeksDC said:

Big fan of the 7 wood. Main thing is to get the right shaft — stiff enough — as they often come with softer shafts. Easy to hit and easy to stop. I have landed many 7 woods on greens that stopped dead. 

this is my issue… I’m wanting to experiment with a 7w to replace my 3hy but I don’t want to pay $300 for a new one just to experiment and used ones all have senior or super lightweight shafts…

default_callaway-small.jpg.0667322081ba61f1e13fcf849463e542.jpg

Epic Speed 9 degree (8°)- Hzrdus Yellow Handcrafted
Epic Flash Sub Zero 3W (16°)- Hzrdus Smoke
Apex 3 (20°) & 4 (23°) Hybrid- Kuro Kage
'18 Apex MB (8-PW) and '19 Apex Pro (5-7i) Nippon Pro Modus 105 s
MD3 Black 50°, 54° (S Grind), 58° (PM Grind)
Toulon Design Odyssey Chicago (with Atlanta and Las Vegas rotations sometimes)
Ball: Chromesoft X Triple Track or Bridgestone Tour BXS 

5 hours ago, ttm27 said:

I have an Epic Flash 7 wood that I reshafted with a D+ 80 and it is surprisingly low-launching for me.  It's more of a mid-high flight, but for a 7 wood I'd consider it low.  It has quickly become one of my favorite clubs in the bag.  It is pretty hard to find a 7 wood without a senior or regular flex shaft, but it's really easy to install a new shaft.  Or you could always have a club maker do it for you.  Trust me, it's totally worth it. 

Bag 1                                                                               Bag 2                                                    Bag 3

PING G400 MAX 10.5 GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X         Titleist 905R 9.5* Speeder S             Cleveland Classic 310 GD Pershing 60 S

PING G25 16.5* 4 Wood UST Attas 4U 7 TS                Titleist 906F2 15* YS6+ FW S           Callaway Warbird 3, 5, & 7 Woods Memphis 10 Steel

Callaway Epic Flash 7 Wood UST Attas 4U 8S            Titleist 906F4 18.5* NV 75 FW S       PING Zing BeCu 5-SW AMT Tour White Black Onyx S300

Titleist 915H 24* & 27* DG S300                                  Titleist 904F 22* DG S300                PING Eye 2 XG 56* & 60* DG S300

PING i210 6-UW DG TI S400                                         Mizuno MP30 4-PW DGS300           PING Sigma Tyne H

PING Glide 3.0 Eye 2 54* & 58* DG TI S400                Mizuno T20 54* & 60* DG TI S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 2 Ball Blade w/Triple Track          Odyssey White Steel #5

7 minutes ago, drumdude96 said:

I have an Epic Flash 7 wood that I reshafted with a D+ 80 and it is surprisingly low-launching for me.  It's more of a mid-high flight, but for a 7 wood I'd consider it low.  It has quickly become one of my favorite clubs in the bag.  It is pretty hard to find a 7 wood without a senior or regular flex shaft, but it's really easy to install a new shaft.  Or you could always have a club maker do it for you.  Trust me, it's totally worth it. 

I also have an Epic Flash 7 wood with a DI 8x and I don't find it to be super high launching. Yes it goes high but the launch and spin numbers are in my proper window

For a stronger player using a 7 wood, I think a heavier 80-90g shaft is a must

PING G410 LST 10.5* (9.5) - Fujikura Ventus Black 6X

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 16* - Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Callaway Epic Flash 21* (20) - Fujikura Speeder 952TR X-Stiff

PING G410 22* - Tensei CK Pro White 90X

Srixon ZX5 5-AW - Nippon Modus3 Tour 105X

Cleveland CBX2 54* - DG 115 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw X Grind 60* - DG 115 Wedge

Odyssey White Hot OG #7S

15 hours ago, ttm27 said:

My solution was to go with a Callaway Epic Flash Sub-Zero 5w and loft it up to 20* while installing a shaft at 41.5" long.  This is approximately a 7-wood loft and length (it's actually shorter than many current 7-woods).  It certainly has a higher and forward COG and it works great for me as a slightly strong 7-wood.  I play this club in conjunction with a 16.5* 4w and it covers my fairway wood gaps beautifully, plus this club doesn't give me any high "moon balls", but it still gives me a high enough peak trajectory to hold greens when I use it on par-5 approaches and for tee shots on long par-3s.

On 7/1/2021 at 12:38 AM, chipa said:

I ordered a used 90 something Big Bertha heavenwood to complete my set of 12, 16.5 and 21 degrees. I will probably make it .25" shorter than standard like my 4 wood and it will replace my 4 iron. I think(my course is hilly) my 12 deg carries 255, my 16.5 228 so I believe the 21 deg should be 210. I'll put a 80+ gram X shaft in it.

I like the idea of some older model clubs to fill that slot. 

I recently bought a 19* Adams Tight-lies (2013) 5 wood. I was rummaging through my moms garage that has many of my grandfathers and my old sticks looking for my old 19* Titleist 904f 5wood, but the Adams was in great shape and only $20. I just bought an 85g Evenflow Black to put in it, but haven’t made my way to the golf shop yet to do so. 

I think some of the older model 5 woods would be a great alternative to a 7 wood replacement. They are smaller, more compact, not focused on piercing the atmosphere back then, and you could always throw a modern shaft in them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Plus with a 7 wood,  ball speed isn’t nearly as important as hitting a consistent number with it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, cmatthews77 said:

this is my issue… I’m wanting to experiment with a 7w to replace my 3hy but I don’t want to pay $300 for a new one just to experiment and used ones all have senior or super lightweight shafts…

You can buy a component 7 wood with a good shaft for less than $100 shipping. For such a small head the difference in technology isn't going to make any real difference. I put my own clubs together and have figured out that the shafts I use make a lot more difference than I thought, for example I generally hit shafts 20-30 grams heavier than most high hc, but I hit them straighter. If I can't get a shaft with the weight and price I want I just use backweights, which can be changed out easily enough, that way I get the specs that help me hit the ball straighter.

3 minutes ago, chipa said:

You can buy a component 7 wood with a good shaft for less than $100 shipping. For such a small head the difference in technology isn't going to make any real difference. I put my own clubs together and have figured out that the shafts I use make a lot more difference than I thought, for example I generally hit shafts 20-30 grams heavier than most high hc, but I hit them straighter. If I can't get a shaft with the weight and price I want I just use backweights, which can be changed out easily enough, that way I get the specs that help me hit the ball straighter.

I’ve considered going the component route as well to fill that spot. 

what interested me, but I ended up going a different route was the Maltby KE-4 ST-h 

it seems to be a middle ground between the hybrid and fairway wood. 

The Taylormade Sim2 Max hybrid is very wood like too. I didn’t want to pony up the money (my wife didn’t want me too, I did 😝 ), but I got and old school wood feel from the 19* Sim Max 2 Hybrid. 

http://ralphmaltby.com/products/maltby-ke4-st-h-hybrids/

• Like 1

This thread is gold.

For me, I am leaning towards 3w, 6/7w, 3 iron and removing my sand wedge.

TaylorMade SIM2 Driver 7,25° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 60 6.0, 45,25"

TaylorMade SIM2 Max Fairway 3 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 70 6.0 42,75"

Ping G425 Hybrid 3 19° Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro 80 Orange S 40,25"

Miura Giken CB-1008 Raw Black 4 23° - P 46° Project X LZ Blackout 5.5

Miura Tour Raw Black 50° Project X LZ Blackout 5.5 35,5"

Vokey SM8 Jet Black 54° 10S TT DG S200 35,25"

Vega VW-10 Raw 58° TT DG TI S400 35"

Nordberg Long neck BGT Stability Tour 35"

5 hours ago, Drivingrangehero said:

I’ve considered going the component route as well to fill that spot. 

what interested me, but I ended up going a different route was the Maltby KE-4 ST-h 

it seems to be a middle ground between the hybrid and fairway wood. 

The Taylormade Sim2 Max hybrid is very wood like too. I didn’t want to pony up the money (my wife didn’t want me too, I did 😝 ), but I got and old school wood feel from the 19* Sim Max 2 Hybrid. 

http://ralphmaltby.com/products/maltby-ke4-st-h-hybrids/

The latest two generations of Tour Edge Exotics hybrids (EXS220 and C721 models) also fit that description of “tweeners”.  They play like a mix between a traditional hybrid and a fairway metal.  I hit the 19* C721 hybrid about the same as I hit my 20* 5/7 wood.

I am a higher swing speed.  But I don’t really spin the ball a ton. 

i would hit a 7w waaaayyyyyyyy to far. 

Taylormade Sim2 (set at 8.25*)Fuji ventus black 6x

Mizuno STZ 3w 14* atmos black 6x

Srixon zx 3 iron recoil 95x 
Srixon z945 4-PW PX6.5 
Cleveland RTX4 50/54/58 s400 TI
Oddessey 7CS Tour 

I don’t generate a huge amount of spin with my golf swing, but I find a 5 or 7 wood to be ideal for me on shots between 205 and 220 yards.  My driver clubhead speed is just a hair less than 100 MPH at age 72, and I generate about 93 MPH of clubhead speed with a 5 or 7 wood.

Blueboard 73x in 7w and just back from the range with the g400 9w …. with a tour issue Blueboard 93x dropped that I found on eBay … the 4h is going to sit on the bench

love high lofted fairways 

Ping G400 Max 11.1* Project X 6A4 7.0

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Blueboard Ion 73x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Project X 7B4 6.5

Cally Apex '19 4h PX HC-1 & 5h 26* PX HB-6

Srixon ZX7 6 - PW PX Catalyst 100 6.5 
Ping Glide 50* 54* 60* Tour W 64* TS 

Scotty GoLo 7 (35g weights)

I've been waffling between a 21 degree hybrid and fairway doing testing for a while now. I think they both have their place.

For me and my home course a 7W is awesome.

I picked up a used TS2 7W to mess with and see how I like the 21deg 7W thing going on. I initially played it at stock specs with an older Diamana B series 80. On good strikes it showed real promise and I was loving the 7W but I found I wasnt loving the shaft even though I have the BF in my 3W.

In an odd turn of events I picked up an 'over tipped' Diamana Thump shaft to test out and its been money in a new TSi2 7W head I picked up for cheap on eBay. Currently playing the Thump F75 tipped 1.5" (stock spec is .75" for a 7W) and its been nothing but straight boring mid flight balls down the middle on exactly my number for this club.

It's playing like a hybrid at .5" short so plenty of control, but the tipping on the Thump somehow working for me and providing a nice mid flight thats slightly higher then a hybrid and still stops on greens like a fairway.

A lot of people have trouble filling the spot between the 4 iron and 3 wood and I would highly recommend a PROPERLY FITTED 7W.

Edited by third-times-a-charm
  • Like 1

Epic Speed + ZF 6 / TS2 3W + BF 7 / TSi2 7W + Tour AD MJ 8 / GAPR Lo 4 + MMT UT 105  / Apex 19 Pro + Modus3 120 / MD5 / Toulon JDM Austin +  KBS CT Tour PVD

On 7/8/2021 at 3:56 PM, cmatthews77 said:

Easy solution: Buy a cheap one and reshaft it.

• Like 2

Driver: TM R510TP

Fairways: TM V-Steel

Hybrids: Nickent 3DX RC

Irons: Maltby TE Forged

Wedge: Acer XB Satin

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #1

I love my 7w, can hit it anywhere from 195-220 based off grip/ball position

• Like 1

GAMER SETUP:

Titleist TSi3 9* | GD Tour AD GP7x 

Titleist TSi2 3W | Project X Hzrdus RDX Smoke Black (Tip'd 1")

PXG Gen2 0341X 7W | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Yellow(Tip'd 1")

PXG Gen2 0311P Black 3i | GD Tour AD AD-95 X +3/4”

PXG Gen3 0311T 5i-G | KBS CTaper Lite X +1"

Titleist 54* RAW Vokey SM8 | KBS CTaper Lite X +1"

PING 58* Glide 3.0 | Nippon Z-Z115 +3/4"

TM MySpiderX | 36" - 71* - 3*

23 minutes ago, animalgolfs said:

One on the nameless site $69

Saw that, need X flex tho 

TM SIM 10.5* | Diamana D Limited 60tx

TM SIM 15* | Diamana D Limited 70tx
TM M3 19* | Tensei PW 80tx
Apex Pro '19 | KBS $-Saper 125
Vokey SM8 50|55|60 - KBS $-taper 125
Toulon Palm Beach
TP5x 

So, it’s technically a 5 wood, I guess it would be a HL 5 Wood in modern loft since it’s 19*, but my Adams Tight lies 2013, is my new favorite club. I put an 85g Evenflow 6.0 black in it, and it’s playing length is 41.5 inches. I usually like my clubs a bit higher swingweight, but I won’t be adding any lead tape to this one. It’s perfect as is. 

It checks all the boxes for me. 

1. Small foot print, under 140cc is appealing to me

2. Shallow face/ boost confidence/  Easy to launch 

3 fills gap between 4 wood and 4 iron

4. Great decent angle and spin too hold greens 

5. Bonus I can work it both ways with ease (I’m not a fader generally) 

Another favorite aspect is that it’s a flat grey instead of black because it’s a women’s club. 👍