Stronger Players - 7 wood?

Sabzor

Bumping this thread. Just got a TSi2 21/7W turned to 20.25* with a HZRDUS smoke RDX black shaft in a used bin at a local shop of mine. On the sim wayyyy more accurate than a comparable hybrid and seems to have a favorable decent angle for approach shots…should have got one years ago 

• Like 1

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST TD LS 9° | TOUR AD UB 6X

CALLAWAY ROGUE ST LS 3HL 16.5° | DIAMANA TB 60TX

PXG 0211 7W 21°| TENSEI AV RAW WHITE 75X

SRIXON ZX5 5-6 | MODUS3 120

SRIXON ZX7 7-PW | MODUS3 120

CLEVELAND RTX ZIPCORE 51°/56°/61° | MODUS3 WEDGE 125

PING VAULT 2.0 VOSS

CALLAWAY CHROME SOFT X

So I did move to a 7 wood and played a couple of rounds so far. I am hitting it high and having it drop dead on the green.  Couldn't be happier with the move.  Getting 240 yard to the inch.  Had to drop the 3 wood as it was messing with my yardage....  so I carry 5 and 7 woods.

This new tech is also screwing with my yardage.... maybe head back to persimmons.

If my herniated neck and back behave then this is what I normally get of my clubs

Driver: 320

5 wood: 290

7: 240

4I: 220

Have to get a read on my swing speed. 

Suggestions, anyone

Just ordered a TSi2 7w with 80g Hzrdus Smoke RDX Black 80g. First time testing a 7w so will return with some feedback when it arrives. 

• Like 1

Stealth+ 9* @9.75, RDX Black 70g 6.5 | Stealth Plus 3W LAGP Trono 75x |Stealth Plus 5W RDX Black 80g 6.5 | 

G425 [email protected] 23.5* Hybrid GD ADDI 95x | JPX 921 Forged Modus 105S | SM8 50.08F, 54.12D, 60.10S

Odyssey Ten Srixon ZStar 

• 8 months later...

Has anyone with a 115+ swing hit/own the Cally Rogue ST Max 7W?  I'm looking at adding one to the bag after lofting up my SIM 5w and choking down an inch or so.  I like the idea of a small head that gets through the rough. PXG hybrid has been great, but we're ho's on WRX aren't we 🙄

TSR4 9*, LA Golf Trono 75X, 45"
T.I. Mavrik SZ 15*, Ventus Black 7X, 43" or

T.I. Mavrik SZ 16.5*, Graphite Design AD-DI 8X, 42.5"

Apex UW 19* (bent to 20*, 1* flat), AV Raw White 85X, 41"  or

X-Forged UT 2i (18*) Accra Proto 125X
TM P7MC 4i, Modus 125X

Mizuno MP20 5-P, Modus 130X

T20 50* Modus Wedge 125

Glide Forged Pro 54*S, 60*T Modus Wedge 125
Toulon San Diego 33.5" Callaway Chrome Soft X

31 minutes ago, aussieb said:

Has anyone with a 115+ swing hit/own the Cally Rogue ST Max 7W?  I'm looking at adding one to the bag after lofting up my SIM 5w and choking down an inch or so.  I like the idea of a small head that gets through the rough. PXG hybrid has been great, but we're ho's on WRX aren't we 🙄

Callaway has not made a “performance” 7w for better players in quite some time. Their most prolific 7w player - Xander - is still using his trusted mavrik SZ tour issue 20* 7w and has not switched to any new model. Before the mavrik he was in the rogue SZ tour issue 7w model.

oddly enough CPO just had some of these unicorn mavrik SZ heads but has since sold out 

all other callaway staffers who wants something in that range are moving to the apex UW but Xander has not because he loves the 7w.

I have no idea why callaway hasn’t made a proper replacement 

Edited by third-times-a-charm

Rogue ST MaxTC 9.2° + GP 6 / 🦄 MAVRIK MaxTC 14.7°@+1 + GP 7 / Apex21TC 19.6°@+1 + HY 85 / P790 21° + LIN-Q 100 / P770 + DG 105 / MD5 Forged / Las VegasTC H3+ All In || DetourMod + CT Tour

After a horrible tee shot yesterday, I had a good lie in the rough, and with a little bit of an uphill launching pad. I had 195 to the flag, over a red penalty area, dead into a 20 mph wind. Struck the 7w perfectly, and watched it fly directly over the flag, hitting a boulder  behind the green and bouncing sky high into a GUR / no play zone (flower bed). I must have carried it 215 into that wind .... at least I got up & down from the drop area for my par!

I continue to love having a 7w in my bag instead of a 4i!

I put the 7-wood (Callaway Epic Flash, set at -1 or 20* loft) back in my bag a little more than a week ago. In 2.5 rounds of golf, it has helped me to score 37 in my 9-hole league with a birdie and an eagle on two par 5 holes during that round, plus to save pars after a couple of poor tee shots on long par-4 holes. I also made a birdie on the opening par-5 in an 18-hole match last Tuesday after hitting the 7-wood on my second shot from the rough and leaving the ball about 5 feet short of the green.

Needless to say, that 7-wood is staying in my bag — at least until I go to northern England and Scotland in July.

Edited by dmael

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2022 at 9:58 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

Callaway has not made a “performance” 7w for better players in quite some time. Their most prolific 7w player - Xander - is still using his trusted mavrik SZ tour issue 20* 7w and has not switched to any new model. Before the mavrik he was in the rogue SZ tour issue 7w model.

oddly enough CPO just had some of these unicorn mavrik SZ heads but has since sold out 

all other callaway staffers who wants something in that range are moving to the apex UW but Xander has not because he loves the 7w.

I have the epic speed 7 wood and I’d say that’s considered a better players fairway.  Like it a lot. 

On 5/30/2022 at 6:58 AM, third-times-a-charm said:

I'd love to find the Mavrik SZ heavenwood (20*) , I've got the Mavrik but love the idea of a lower spin 7w. Although sometimes on long par 3s and approaches that spin is helpful to hold a green. Anyway can't say enough good things about the Callaway woods in general.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bmurr7 said:

I'd love to find the Mavrik SZ heavenwood (20*) , I've got the Mavrik but love the idea of a lower spin 7w. Although sometimes on long par 3s and approaches that spin is helpful to hold a green. Anyway can't say enough good things about the Callaway woods in general.

You just missed them 

Rogue ST MaxTC 9.2° + GP 6 / 🦄 MAVRIK MaxTC 14.7°@+1 + GP 7 / Apex21TC 19.6°@+1 + HY 85 / P790 21° + LIN-Q 100 / P770 + DG 105 / MD5 Forged / Las VegasTC H3+ All In || DetourMod + CT Tour

1 hour ago, third-times-a-charm said:

You just missed them 

Ya I feel crappy I didn’t pull the trigger when I saw them. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with Ventus Black 6x 44.5"

3W: Rogue ST LS 16.5 '22 Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: Callaway Apex UW 21* 80s MMT

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 1/4" long 

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: 2021 Scotty Cameron Phantom X5 (Testing DF2.1)

Ball: Srixon Z-star XV

On 5/30/2022 at 11:58 PM, third-times-a-charm said:

Interesting that Xander has now added the Apex UW to his bag per Johnny Wunder.  I've also decided to go this route as the Rogue ST Max 7w wasn't a good fit, but bending a UW 19* weak and flat a degree each has worked out for what I needed between 3w and 4i.

Not sure the Fuji Pro TS 7X is enough shaft at 41", so looking at Ventus Red 8X or 9X and other options. Hard to find the UW here in Australia as Callaway has decided not to import it, or allow orders from the US.

Edited by aussieb

TM P7MC 4i, Modus 125X

T20 50* Modus Wedge 125

26 minutes ago, aussieb said:

Interesting that Xander has now added the Apex UW to his bag per Johnny Wunder.  I've also decided to go this route as the Rogue ST Max 7w wasn't a good fit, but bending a UW 19* weak and flat a degree each has worked out for what I needed between 3w and 4i.

Not sure the Fuji Pro TS 7X is enough shaft at 41", so looking at Ventus Red 8X or 9X and other options. Hard to find the UW here in Australia as Callaway has decided not to import it, or allow orders from the US.

I had a UW but moved into xanders 7w head. I like it better than the UW but my circumstances are different than his in that I can use that 7w going forward and he’s probably being pressured into a newer setup.

7 hours ago, third-times-a-charm said:

I had a UW but moved into xanders 7w head. I like it better than the UW but my circumstances are different than his in that I can use that 7w going forward and he’s probably being pressured into a newer setup.

Doesn't sound like it from this post.  I found very similar in testing over other options (though limited to lefty). Very consistent across the board for speed, spin and launch.  Hard to believe Cally would force a player into newer gear unless it wasn't theirs, or better for them?!? That's something I've heard of TM and Srixon, but not from Callaway staffers.

https://worldofwunder.callawaygolf.com/w-o-w-breaking-news-xander-scahuffle-swaps-his-trusty-7-wood-for-an-apex-uw/

TM P7MC 4i, Modus 125X

T20 50* Modus Wedge 125

1 hour ago, aussieb said:

Doesn't sound like it from this post.  I found very similar in testing over other options (though limited to lefty). Very consistent across the board for speed, spin and launch.  Hard to believe Cally would force a player into newer gear unless it wasn't theirs, or better for them?!? That's something I've heard of TM and Srixon, but not from Callaway staffers.

https://worldofwunder.callawaygolf.com/w-o-w-breaking-news-xander-scahuffle-swaps-his-trusty-7-wood-for-an-apex-uw/

I didnt say forced, I said pressured. Even thats probably too strong of a word and 'suggested' is maybe better. The Mavrik is a 2 year old club, now, and he's a marquee player for them. Of course they wouldnt make a player put something in their bag that didnt work. The tour issue Mavrik 7 woods showing up on CPO means that they were phased off of the tour truck. I dont doubt they saved a few of his 7w for him and the Apex UW was probably on his radar as a replacement, but it took him almost a year to adopt the UW since it has come out. If Callaway had a suitable 7 wood I bet he'd be in it instead of the UW but thats just IMO.

Just changed up some clubs and put a 7-Wood back in the bag.  It just fits perfectly for those 215-220 yard shots that I seem to have often on the courses I play.  Great off the tee also when a short drive is the best play.  Wouldn't say I'm a strong player though.  105 driver swing speed.  I play a HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 in my fairways woods

Driver: PXG Gen4 0811X

3 Wood: Ping G425

5 Wood: Ping G425

Hybrid: Ping G425

Irons: Ping i525 
Wedges: Ping Glide 4.0 (54 & 58)
Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

Ball: TBD

I think you will enjoy a 7 wood if you find the correct head/shaft combo.  I don't know that I qualify as a strong player, but I don't have issues hitting a 2 iron.  I just like the versatility of the 7 wood over the 2 iron.  I have mine set up with a 5 wood length shaft which I prefer.  Having the option to hit the high shot when you need it is great.  You can also learn to flight them down.  On super windy days, I might still opt to put the 2 iron in, but in general the 7 wood has been a great addition for me.

Callaway  Tour Issue FT-Tour 9.5* - Fubuki 53x5ct X

Callaway  X2hot Pro 2Deep 12.5* - Aldila Tour Green X

Callaway  TA X-Tour Utility Iron 18* & 21* - PX 6.5

Callaway  Razr X MB 5 - PW - PX 6.5

Cleveland  RTX-4  54* - KBS Wedge
Callaway  Sure Out 58* & 64* - KBS Wedge
Tad Moore  1997 Pro 1G Giraffe Bye Bye

Clicgear  6+ Black, 3.5 Black

• 2 months later...

I’m trying out a ping g410 20.5* I purchased a while back but didn’t get along with the stock shaft. Couldn’t feel the club face at times and would block it right on seemingly good swings. 

I am retrying this club by putting a tensei raw Av 75x (wish it was heavier but had it on hand) tipped 1” to play at 41.5”. Added a little bit of lead tape to the head and it feels good swinging in my backyard, but need to see how it performs.

I will hit this club on more difficult shots into par 5s or long par 3s so I will either love it or lose confidence with it pretty quickly. 

SIM 8* Ventus Black 7x
Ping G25 3 wood Diamana D+ X

NLU 18* DI Ventus Black 10X
Muira 1957 4-PW X100 120
Vokey SM8 M 50*/Vokey SM4 S 56*/Vokey SM8 T 60*
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 35” 
Tour BX S

• 3 weeks later...

Pondering a 7 wood…. Whats everyone liking these days..?

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

3 hours ago, DNice26 said:

I had been using a Callaway Epic Flash 7-wood for several years, but I damaged the carbon crown and repaired it with black epoxy about two years ago. That epoxy repair started to fail a couple of months ago, so I ordered a Sub 70 949X 7-wood with a UST ProForce V2 Black F4 (stiff) shaft, and it is great! That Callaway 7-wood was my favorite fairway wood, but the new Sub 70 7-wood is so good that I also got myself a matching 949X 4-wood with a matching shaft that is now battling it out with my 4 year old Titleist TS2 4-wood for that spot in my bag.

3 hours ago, DNice26 said:

Epic speed 7w. Draw goes 250-260, high cut anywhere from 200-220 depending on how much I choke down. Straight about 230-235. One of my favorite clubs in the bag. 

• Like 1

10.5* LTDx w/ Ventus Black 6x

3W - Rogue ST LS | Ventus Red 7x

7W Epic Speed | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x or T200 3i w/ PX LZ 6.5

3-PW T200/T100 Combo | PX LZ 6.5

SM8 50/12F, 54/12D, 60/12D | S200

Tri Hot 5k Double Wide

22 minutes ago, Z1ggy16 said:

Epic speed 7w. Draw goes 250-260, high cut anywhere from 200-220 depending on how much I choke down. Straight about 230-235. One of my favorite clubs in the bag. 

You clearly have a bit more clubhead speed than I do, as I get 200-210 max from the turf (fairway and light rough), with 200 yards being the norm. I’ve managed to get 215 off of a very short tee on shorter par-4s and a couple of par-5 holes where control and hitting to a specific layup area is required off the tee, but that is my limit with a 7-wood, unless I have a wind assist or a downhill shot.

3 hours ago, dmael said:

You clearly have a bit more clubhead speed than I do, as I get 200-210 max from the turf (fairway and light rough), with 200 yards being the norm. I’ve managed to get 215 off of a very short tee on shorter par-4s and a couple of par-5 holes where control and hitting to a specific layup area is required off the tee, but that is my limit with a 7-wood, unless I have a wind assist or a downhill shot.

Yes probably I do but the Speed head is a bit low spin and highly workable. I wouldn't be able to use that much loft unless it was lower spinning head. Flies incredibly straight with a stock flight.

10.5* LTDx w/ Ventus Black 6x

3W - Rogue ST LS | Ventus Red 7x

7W Epic Speed | Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 8x or T200 3i w/ PX LZ 6.5

3-PW T200/T100 Combo | PX LZ 6.5

SM8 50/12F, 54/12D, 60/12D | S200

Tri Hot 5k Double Wide

Bought a Ping G425 7 wood last year and had never used it nor hit any balls with it ever.  Decided on a whim to throw it into my bag to replace my 3 iron and WOW, why haven't I tried it before?  Rough, no problem, long, straight and high.  Need to hit a tight fairway? Tee it up and let it fly.  Threw in my G425 5 wood in yesterday as well (to replace my G410 LST 3 wood I've been playing all year inconsistently) and hit a 256 yard drive with it.  Crazy good fairways....

DRIVER - PING G425 LST

FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G425 5W & 7W

IRONS - PING i230 4-UW

WEDGES - PING GLIDE 4.0 54S & 58E

PUTTER - SCOTTY CAMERON SS NEWPORT 2

Picked up a PXG 7 wood this year and I'm questioning why I didn't do this years ago. Towering shots and significantly more forgiving than my old hybrid. Best move I made in years.

Callaway Epic Max LS (10.5*)

Mizuno ST-Z (15*)

PXG 0341 X Proto (21*)

PXG 0311 T GEN3 (4-PW)

TBD

Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7