I had my clubs all regripped with Winn DriTac grips not too long ago. I would say I have played 10 rounds with them at most and one short range session. I have already worn a spot on my 3W were my right thumb rests and its torn the top layer of the grip. I can see similar spots starting to wear that bad on my driver and a few other clubs that get the most use. Has anyone had wear issues like this with these grips? I love the feel and softness but if they are going to get torn up so fast im annoyed that I will have to regrip everything so soon. 

Also, I know that I grip a bit too tight and have to work on that so I wont say the issue isn't entirely my fault but the amount of use is still so low I can justify it being only me. Im OCD about all my clubs having matching grips, so just getting a new 3W grip will only solve this issue for a short time and im going to have to move on to something more durable. Will upgrading to a 14-way divider bag help? 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do a lot of grip replacements at work and the Winns customers bring in always look really badly worn.  I don't think any of their grips are very durable.

It's a nice market niche. For a huge swath of the (generally older IMO) golf market they are very popular. And they have to be replaced constantly. And they are not cheap. Ideal product from Winn's pe

The tradeoff on this grip is the comfort it provides for hand pain vs the lack of durability.  You will be lucky to get a full season out of them without wear marks if you play regularly.  But if you suffer from arthritis or other joint issues might b worth the cost of changing more regularly.

11 minutes ago, golfschnell said:

The tradeoff on this grip is the comfort it provides for hand pain vs the lack of durability.  You will be lucky to get a full season out of them without wear marks if you play regularly.  But if you suffer from arthritis or other joint issues might b worth the cost of changing more regularly.

I dont have those issues so perhaps the benefit is not worth the comfort for me. 

3 minutes ago, cristphoto said:

How are these grips during light rains, or sweaty hands?

I havent noticed anything with sweaty hands but mine dont get that bad and I always have a towel to dry mine. I have not played with them in the rain but after I cleaned them with a damp rag I noticed they were SLICK for a while until they were bone dry. Slick as snot, so my guess is that they will not be very good in the rain. 

Thanks for the quick reply.  So I guess the DriTac name is a bit confusing.  You can try the Golf Pride Tour Wrap 2G grips.  Soft and long lasting. Only problem is when they get wet - like squeezing a wet bar of soap.

Edited by cristphoto
1 hour ago, Twism86 said:

...I love the feel and softness but if they are going to get torn up so fast im annoyed that I will have to regrip everything so soon. 

Also, I know that I grip a bit too tight and have to work on that...

I have read this complaint about the Winn DriTac before. I suspect contributing factors could be an individual difference thing on tight grip pressure / the acidity of a person's sweat / People who just drop their wedges on the sandy greenside ground while putting / People who get sugary drink or snack residue on their grips, which acts as glue for sand particles.

I played Winn DT for about four years and they lasted through the season (for me). I really enjoyed them, and the soft feel. In fact, I would always squeeze the grip firmly before a shot, and then release the tension right as I started my backswing. It improved my grip pressure. From April through September I would get in maybe 25 rounds plus a couple of light practice sessions a week.

Note: I washed them well about three times a summer, and usually had stained water when I finished, so I was getting grit out of them. They lasted through the season, but definitely needed replacement at holiday time.

(I may end up back with Winn DT if I get new irons in January)

What's In The Bag (Summary as of October 2020)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° set +1°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i-9i

Wedges:  Calla MD3: 48° and 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter: Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced)

Ball: Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

For details see:  Pending (need protocol to embed file list).

They are not a durable grip. I used them for a couple seasons for the comfort. I don't have a tight grip and still wore through the outer layer quickly. I've switched to the Golf Pride CP2 pro and find them soft enough, yet durable. My elbows have not flared up since the change and no hand pain, have arthritis.

On 9/23/2020 at 9:15 AM, Twism86 said:

I had my clubs all regripped with Winn DriTac grips not too long ago. I would say I have played 10 rounds with them at most and one short range session. I have already worn a spot on my 3W were my right thumb rests and its torn the top layer of the grip. I can see similar spots starting to wear that bad on my driver and a few other clubs that get the most use. Has anyone had wear issues like this with these grips? I love the feel and softness but if they are going to get torn up so fast im annoyed that I will have to regrip everything so soon. 

Also, I know that I grip a bit too tight and have to work on that so I wont say the issue isn't entirely my fault but the amount of use is still so low I can justify it being only me. Im OCD about all my clubs having matching grips, so just getting a new 3W grip will only solve this issue for a short time and im going to have to move on to something more durable. Will upgrading to a 14-way divider bag help? 

I've been playing them for a couple years now, and have found them to be about as durable as any other grip I've used. I typically get about a season out of them, but I play A LOT, I'm already well over 100 rounds this year. I've got oversized on my woods and midsized on my irons, specifically to help with gripping the club more lightly, so maybe that's a factor, but I've had no problems with durability.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:19 AM, cristphoto said:

How are these grips during light rains, or sweaty hands?  

My hands sweat, quite a bit. I use Finger Ten hot weather/rain gloves. Recently played down in South Carolina, where it was 85 degrees and 98% humidity every day, got a bit of rain. Humidity was to the point where I almost pulled my rain gloves out. During rain/extreme heat, I'll wipe my grips with a towel occasionally, but haven't had any problem with the DriTacs at all. 

5 hours ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

They are not a durable grip. I used them for a couple seasons for the comfort. I don't have a tight grip and still wore through the outer layer quickly. I've switched to the Golf Pride CP2 pro and find them soft enough, yet durable. My elbows have not flared up since the change and no hand pain, have arthritis.

Just looked at the CP2s today in store. I like the look and feel. Even though I have smaller hands (M/L glove) I think the midsize grips could help with some grip pressure. I guess I will be getting new grips over the winter, im too cheap to swap these out now. 

19 hours ago, Twism86 said:

Just looked at the CP2s today in store. I like the look and feel. Even though I have smaller hands (M/L glove) I think the midsize grips could help with some grip pressure. I guess I will be getting new grips over the winter, im too cheap to swap these out now. 

They certainly aren't cheap so maybe trying one might be a good approach. That way you can compare how they feel to the Dri Tac's.

3 hours ago, sunbeltgolfer said:

They certainly aren't cheap so maybe trying one might be a good approach. That way you can compare how they feel to the Dri Tac's.

Not a bad idea since my 3W is already wearing fast. I could try the CP2, and if I like it do my 5W and driver so all my "wood" clubs match first. 

2 hours ago, obsessed_golfer said:

I do a lot of grip replacements at work and the Winns customers bring in always look really badly worn.  I don't think any of their grips are very durable.

Same here. They always look terrible. I just replaced a guy's Dri Taks after a month of playing and they were already worn badly. But a lot of people like them. My best seller.

Glad im not the only one! Amazingly comfortable but they wont be on my sticks much longer. Once im not stuck in a condo and can have a proper workshop and do my own grips, I can see going back if I can get a whole bunch of them cheap. 

Edited by Twism86
On 9/26/2020 at 11:41 PM, DArnie said:

Same here. They always look terrible. I just replaced a guy's Dri Taks after a month of playing and they were already worn badly. But a lot of people like them. My best seller.

It's a nice market niche. For a huge swath of the (generally older IMO) golf market they are very popular. And they have to be replaced constantly. And they are not cheap. Ideal product from Winn's perspective!

• Like 1

I would say the issues that OP is experiencing are quite common.  I regrip a lot of clubs for friends and they are one of the worst grips I have ever seen for premature wear.  Many other better options out there if you want something soft and easy on the hands and joints.

I have been playing winn grips for many years, and have been using dirtacs the last couple of years.  The do wear quicker than many other grips, but not much quicker than other companies comparable offerings.  I think they are at least as durable if not more so than the super stroke traxion tour and cross comfort.  I have a traxion wrap on my 3wd and that lost any tackiness in a couple of weeks and i don't use my three wood that often.  I do my own grips with air and if need be can rotate 90 degrees and get more life out of them, but usually don't bother.

I usually try and stock up on different models when i find sales.  I don't think i have payed over $4 a grip for a dritac in a couple of years and even what used to be cheap grips (GP tour velvet) are up to like $6 each so winns are not that pricey anymore.  Since they are mainly on my irons, i only need 6 at a time so if i find a good price on a 13 pack i am set for at least a year and i probably play 6-8 rounds a week during the shortened michigan golf season.  The main reason i use them is a despise wearing a glove and only will when extremely humid and my hands are too sweaty to hang on.  This is also the main reason i went to the grip master leather grip for my driver. 

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* Rogue White 130 60X
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5* Hzrdus Yellow 70X

Titleist 818 H2 21* Tensei White 90X
Srixon 5(565), 6-7(795) 8-PW(965) KBS 120 S
Fourteen RM 21 Satin 48.08 KBS Tour 120S
Fourteen RM 12 Raw 52.10 KBS Hi-Rev S
Fourteen RM 21 Black 56.08W KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 black chrome
Titleist Vokey SM5 Black 60.04 KBS Hi-Rev 115 S
Odyssey O Works black 1WS