Best Launch Monitor for Dome Range

Hi Guys - Looking for a recommendation as there seems to be quite a few options out there now.

For the off season, I'll be hitting range balls in a golf dome which is roughly 120 yards long. Really only looking to measure ball speed and club head speed but as accurate as possible. If it includes spin as well, that will be a bonus.

Which monitor(s) do you think I should look at? SC300? SC200+?

Thanks!

Hey OP! been researching a LOT on Personal LM's so bear with me.

You are looking for Ball speed and Head Speed for data mostly? Well you got a bunch of good options based on Price already on the first page.

Yupiteru, PRGR are the most BUGET friendly choice at about $120 average.  They measure exactly what you want.  I have found MOST Personal LM's measure ballspeed well but ok wit swing speed, so just take those with a grain of salt.

The next Step up would be the SC100 range if you can still find one.  These would be in the used market but $150 and up.  I got mine USED years ago for $160 on the bay and used it up until current. (Got a replacement)  This measures ball speed, club speed.  the SC100 for me personal testing is AWESOME in ball speed measurements.  distance and club speed so so.  Its finicky due to the preset launch calculations. (Spin, Launch angle, environment, loft per club)  You select the club, hit and the SC100 presets data to your ball speed and gives you your distance.  You must hit a ball for it to read/register.

OK Next steup is the SC200 (plus model)  These are $250ish and up.  Difference with the SC100 is you can change your LOFTS per club setting.  This will change the distance calculations BUT it still has preset launch angles, spin and environments.   The PLUS model only, allows you to get club head speed WITHOUT hitting a ball. (Bonus)

Next Step up, SC300, Mevo & Ernest Sport ESB1 $500 range.  All of these have about the same data,  (Ball speed, Club speed, smash, Launch angle, Spin) An extra could be peak height.  When reaching this level of $500 it comes to personal preference.

I would say MEVO all the way, just by pure functions, test and results.  Next would be the ESB1 for me only because I (just got an ES14) the ESB1 is the replacement. The reason I chose over the SC300 is you need to have the app running to get spin numbers.  I personally wanted spin as a choice.  If I take the unit to the range. I dont want to have to set extra things up, sometimes I use my phone with headphones to listen to music.  the MEVO requires to have an app running its not just the unit itself to spit out data. like the ESB1 or the SC300.  But again the SC300 wont give spin without the app.  So the ESB1 is all in one, you take it to the range and it has an LCD screen to give you all the data no other stuff to setup.

Sorry lots of info,

120y dome just want ballspeed and club speed, $120 PRGR or Yupiteru as mention in further threads, read about there reviews

Want to pay the $500  Mevo or ESB1,  Mevo first because of function and data BUT you have to have device/app to run it, you cant just take it to the range.  ESB1 is bigger/bulkier  but you turn it on, select the club and hit away.

if you can get a CHEAP used SC100 or SC200 and when i say cheap under $200 than those would work just as well,  But just checked the bay and DAMN there are some biddings going on with the ES14,  I got mine used for $340 I wonder what the next 3 on the bay will end up bidding for.

GL!  

• Like 1

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Thanks man, appreciate the detailed response. I have traditionally lofted irons, so wonder if that would mess up some of the calculations for the LM that have preset lofts?

My other concern with the golf dome was it is relatively low light and the balls are terrible. I'm guessing that'll mess with ball speed a bit?

1 hour ago, Habitual Flipper said:

Thanks man, appreciate the detailed response. I have traditionally lofted irons, so wonder if that would mess up some of the calculations for the LM that have preset lofts?

My other concern with the golf dome was it is relatively low light and the balls are terrible. I'm guessing that'll mess with ball speed a bit?

When you say traditional as in 46* PW, you are ok!  Its the 44* PW you should be concerned about. the SC100 as even older lofts programmed 47*PW.  The trick though is to Just pick the stronger club. Example.

If you are hitting your PW and your distance numbers are off, select the 9iron on the LM.  Instead it will artificially beef up the carry numbers.

ALL in all though it reads ball speeds well.

As for beat up balls that is another work around.  I have found distance limited balls (actual distant limited) is about a 10% ballspeed drop off,  So say you have driver swing speed of 100mph the limited flight would give 90mph and then based your "driver carry" on 90mph just pay attention.  regular balls are true to the number or pretty darn close.

Face it you will have some junk balls at the range, but when you hit enough balls you figure it out pretty quickly!  

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

9 minutes ago, Exactice808 said:

When you say traditional as in 46* PW, you are ok!  Its the 44* PW you should be concerned about. the SC100 as even older lofts programmed 47*PW.  The trick though is to Just pick the stronger club. Example.

If you are hitting your PW and your distance numbers are off, select the 9iron on the LM.  Instead it will artificially beef up the carry numbers.

ALL in all though it reads ball speeds well.

As for beat up balls that is another work around.  I have found distance limited balls (actual distant limited) is about a 10% ballspeed drop off,  So say you have driver swing speed of 100mph the limited flight would give 90mph and then based your "driver carry" on 90mph just pay attention.  regular balls are true to the number or pretty darn close.

Face it you will have some junk balls at the range, but when you hit enough balls you figure it out pretty quickly!  

Traditional as in 47* PW (718CBs), so that's great!

Definitely makes sense, you can probably develop a bit of a feel for it. Maybe even sprinkle in a few old retire pro v1s at the range to see differences and benchmark their range balls.

I've been watching videos on the Garmin G80, that has my interest piqued. Any experience with that one? 

Just now, Habitual Flipper said:

Traditional as in 47* PW (718CBs), so that's great!

Definitely makes sense, you can probably develop a bit of a feel for it. Maybe even sprinkle in a few old retire pro v1s at the range to see differences and benchmark their range balls.

I've been watching videos on the Garmin G80, that has my interest piqued. Any experience with that one? 

No luck on that one outside of the Rick Shiels video.  

But at $400-$500 range, might as well get MEVO, SC300 or ESB1, more data, recoding function.

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Just to add, (agree with all the above) there’s a few other YouTube reviews of the G80, and the numbers do look pretty spot on, very neat easy to use device.

But, it doesn’t read spin, so unless you happen to need a new GPS unit for the course as well, it’s pretty expensive when for 50 dollars more you can have a couple of the spin measuring devices. 

• Like 2

So i have the yupiteru atlas and a sc200. For just carry, club speed, I think the yupiteru would be just fine. Keep in mind I've not used the sc200 in a dome yet, that will be this winter, but the couple of times I used it on the course seemed to work well. 

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft

also the yupiteru has preset lofts that are traditional so you'll have no problem in that regard. Main problem I had with yupiteru were some weird readings I was getting but that could be due to keeping it in my bag in the car. Other small quibble I had is the speed was in meters/second.

D-Taylormade SIM MAX D Diamana PD 50r

3w- Honma TW-XP1 

17° Adams XTD Ti super hybrid

4h-5h- Tour Edge Exotics ex9

6-AW- Cleveland Launcher XL Nippon Zelos 7

56°- Cleveland CBX Zipcore

60°- Lazrus

P- Odyssey eleven tour lined stroke lab shaft