2024 Houston Open WITB Photos ×

P7MC vs. JPX 921 Tour

eric61

Has anyone had a chance to test the TaylorMade P7MC and the Mizuno JPX 921 Tour? 

I'm specifically wondering:

• How would you compare the forgiveness of each of them? (Knowing of course that they're not designed to be particularly forgiving irons.) 
  • Feel-wise, how do they compare? 
  • Are there any particularly noteworthy design differences in terms of length or offset? 

I'm considering combo sets -- P770s and P7MCs vs. JPX 921 Forged 4/5 and Tour 6-PW (I'm a lefty, so that's the only option Mizuno offers there) -- and want to get some thoughts and comparisons before going in to do some more testing. I love the JPX Forged line (I'd just buy them throughout, if Mizuno offered that option for lefties) and have tested and gotten along well with P770s, but haven't tested the P7MCs or JPX 921 Tours. Thanks! 

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, collinsp11 said:

I tested both the 7MC and 921 Tour at a club fitting as well as P770. Full disclosure, I am currently gaming the P730, and I went into the fitting dead set on combo-ing the MC PW-6 with 770 5i and 4i.

The 921 Tour was noticeably more forgiving than the MC. But if you're chasing forgiveness, the P770 was easily the most forgiving. Feel wise, you're going to get the most feedback from the MC (good or bad). The fitter used the 921 Tour head to get his baseline numbers on me for shafts. I had never hit a forged mizuno club, and was exceptionally impressed with the feel of the 921 Tour. What they say is true, nothing feels like a mizuno but that is going to be a different preference for anyone. The 770 feels a little juiced/springy to me, which in a 5i and 4i would not be a bad thing.

Club head size and offset (while very minimal in all of these) were smallest in the MC, 921 Tour was in the middle, and 770 just marginally the largest. 

Something new to note with 921 Tour is the addition of a Gap wedge at 51 degrees. The lofts of the MC and 921 Tour are the same standard tour lofts. The 770 is about 2 degrees stronger. 

I hit 7i during the fitting in all 3 heads. The MC gave me the worst numbers in terms of distance (avg 170) and disparity (I was pretty disappointed as this is the best looking of the bunch). Off center hits are too severely punished for where I'm currently at with my ball striking. I would not suggest the MC to anyone that isn't a single digit hc/prolific ball striker. The 770 gave me the most distance (completely attributable to the loft differences). I was hitting the 7i in the 770 between 195-210, but I could not "feel" much of a difference in the strikes. The 921 Tour ended up checking all of the boxes. My average 7i over 10 shots was 182. It also produced the best peak and spin rates. Off center hits were only seeing +/- 10 yard variances and you can very much feel and hear the difference in strikes. 

Just wanted to say thank you for such a fantastic, helpful response. Your response about the MCs is a little disappointing because, as you note, it looks so great.

Focusing on off-center hits -- if I'm reading your comments right, it seems like in your experience there might not be a huge disparity between the type of player who could game the P770s and who could play the JPX Tours, is that fair? I was surprised to see that the Tours didn't punish off-center hits more.

Have you tested the JPX Forged, by the way? If so, any thoughts on how big the differences are between the Forged and Tours? 

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 LST 9* | Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

3W: Ping G430 Max @14* | Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 70X

7W: Ping G430 Max @20* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 8X (or sometimes G430 3H with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

4 Utility: Ping iCrossover @23.5* | Graphite Design Tour AD DI 95X (or sometimes G430 5H at 25* with Tour 2.0 Chrome 85S)

Irons: Ping i230 5-UW | Fujikura AXIOM 105X

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 54/12W@55/13W, 60/12X | Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Putter: Bettinardi 2024 BB1 Wide 

1 hour ago, collinsp11 said:

I tested both the 7MC and 921 Tour at a club fitting as well as P770. Full disclosure, I am currently gaming the P730, and I went into the fitting dead set on combo-ing the MC PW-6 with 770 5i and 4i.

The 921 Tour was noticeably more forgiving than the MC. But if you're chasing forgiveness, the P770 was easily the most forgiving. Feel wise, you're going to get the most feedback from the MC (good or bad). The fitter used the 921 Tour head to get his baseline numbers on me for shafts. I had never hit a forged mizuno club, and was exceptionally impressed with the feel of the 921 Tour. What they say is true, nothing feels like a mizuno but that is going to be a different preference for anyone. The 770 feels a little juiced/springy to me, which in a 5i and 4i would not be a bad thing.

Club head size and offset (while very minimal in all of these) were smallest in the MC, 921 Tour was in the middle, and 770 just marginally the largest. 

Something new to note with 921 Tour is the addition of a Gap wedge at 51 degrees. The lofts of the MC and 921 Tour are the same standard tour lofts. The 770 is about 2 degrees stronger. 

I hit 7i during the fitting in all 3 heads. The MC gave me the worst numbers in terms of distance (avg 170) and disparity (I was pretty disappointed as this is the best looking of the bunch). Off center hits are too severely punished for where I'm currently at with my ball striking. I would not suggest the MC to anyone that isn't a single digit hc/prolific ball striker. The 770 gave me the most distance (completely attributable to the loft differences). I was hitting the 7i in the 770 between 195-210, but I could not "feel" much of a difference in the strikes. The 921 Tour ended up checking all of the boxes. My average 7i over 10 shots was 182. It also produced the best peak and spin rates. Off center hits were only seeing +/- 10 yard variances and you can very much feel and hear the difference in strikes. 

I wish I wouldn't have read this since I just picked up some P-7MC's. Although, I am going to combo the P770 in 4 and 5. 

Edited by JStang
  • Like 3

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

No problem! That is correct, at least in my experience with the off center hits. Typically my miss is towards the toe of the club, which is why I probably perceived the 921 Tour to be noticeably more forgiving than the MC, since the 921 Tour is engineered to add stability out towards the toe. Hits towards the toe with the P770 and the 921 Tour were costing me about 10 yards in distance where the MC was 15-20 yards.

I do think the 921 Tour and the P770 are geared after a very similar player. With that being said, the 921 Tour seemed more workable as I could feel so much more both in my hands and audibly. Only having the 7i to go off does inhibit my ability to give a more in depth answer. I would like to see how the 9i and 5i performed in both clubs. My guess would be that the long irons in the P770 would be hot and buttery. While the long irons in the 921 Tour are probably marginally tougher to hit.

Have not hit the JPX Forged. However from what I've seen, I would expect it to perform as if Taylormade produced a model in between the P770 and P790. 

• Like 1

Epic Flash SZ 9 degree / Steelhead XR 3 wood / Srixon Z U65 3i / (Currently) Taylormade P730 PW-4i / (Ordered-in route) Mizuno 921 Tour GW-4i / Vokey SM5 52-56-60 / Seemore FGP Blade

21 minutes ago, JStang said:

I wish I wouldn't have read this since I just picked up some P-7MC's. Although, I am going to combo the P770 in 4 and 5. 

Oh man, don't let me put bad vibes in your head. I've been quite unsettled myself in debating my decision to go with the 921 Tour over the P-7MC, as I had fallen so in love with the MC's looks and have been playing Taylormade irons my entire life. You're going to love your MC's so long as this isn't your first go at playing a blade or muscle cavity. I'm currently gaming the P730 blade and just didn't notice enough/if any real added forgiveness with the MC vs what I'm currently gaming. The club head of the MC is slightly larger than the MB/730 though. 

I would 110% make sure to get fitted for your P770 5i and 4i and definitely bring your 6i and 7i MC to the fitting. The lofts are much stronger in the P770 than the MC and if you don't have them lofted down (or MC bent stronger which was my original plan), you will run into serious gapping issues. 

Epic Flash SZ 9 degree / Steelhead XR 3 wood / Srixon Z U65 3i / (Currently) Taylormade P730 PW-4i / (Ordered-in route) Mizuno 921 Tour GW-4i / Vokey SM5 52-56-60 / Seemore FGP Blade

4 minutes ago, collinsp11 said:

Oh man, don't let me put bad vibes in your head. I've been quite unsettled myself in debating my decision to go with the 921 Tour over the P-7MC, as I had fallen so in love with the MC's looks and have been playing Taylormade irons my entire life. You're going to love your MC's so long as this isn't your first go at playing a blade or muscle cavity. I'm currently gaming the P730 blade and just didn't notice enough/if any real added forgiveness with the MC vs what I'm currently gaming. The club head of the MC is slightly larger than the MB/730 though. 

I would 110% make sure to get fitted for your P770 5i and 4i and definitely bring your 6i and 7i MC to the fitting. The lofts are much stronger in the P770 than the MC and if you don't have them lofted down (or MC bent stronger which was my original plan), you will run into serious gapping issues. 

I have a 4 iron inbound that is 1 degree weak (.5 degree weak of the P-7MC 4 iron). I'm struggling to find a 5 iron to complete the set. 

• Like 1

TSR3 TSi3 3 Wood | 915H 18 |  T150 4-PW Vokey SM9  50, 54, 58 |  Ping PLD Anser 2D

5 minutes ago, gambit said:

What’s the estimated lag time from order to delivery with Mizuno nowadays? Couple of months or more?

My fitter in Nashville quoted 3 weeks.

Eric61, I have hit the 921 tours and the 770s but not the MC (haven't yet seen one lefty). I didn't like the feel of the 770s at all. They feel like a smaller, better looking 790 but feel similar to me. The 921 T (or SEL) was very good and seemed as forgiving as you can get out of this type of club. Seriously considering switching to the 921 tour/SEL in the spring even though they are pretty similar to current irons (16 apex pro)  but look sweet to my eye. I would guess the MC will feel pretty good but probably isn't as forgiving as the 921T. i would recommend sticking to either the 921t or 770 as you prefer. A little bit of help is probably more important than the last bit of control for almost all of us. Good luck.

I tested both today and found them to be very similar in both feel and distance. The p7mc’s really surprised me with how good they felt. I thought in that department it would be a no contest but it was very close. The blade length and top line look very similar at address and both are very pleasing to the eye. The tours look to have a slightly thicker sole than the mc’s. 
My miss is a thin shot and the Mizuno were definitely less forgiving on those shots, not that either were particularly forgiving on that kind of shot. 
I was however pleasantly surprised at how easy both were to hit (I’m a 6 handicap) and my iron play definitely needs some work. I’m currently making a few swing changes so didn’t purchase either.  I really couldn’t choose between them at the minute but will be doing so once I’ve ironed out a few flaws. 

if you’re needing forgiveness the Mizuno forged or 770’s are the way to go. Neither have the feel that the clubs mentioned above do but that’s the sacrifice to be made for gaining forgiveness. I would pick the 770’s over the forged without a second thought. The forged looked too long in blade length and had too thick of a top line for my liking but were easy to hit.

I would pick whichever club is going to benefit your game most over the coming year or however long you keep your irons. This is golfWRX after all! 

What I did find odd was that in standard length clubs the Mizuno tour appears to be around a quarter of an inch longer in length than the Taylormade mmc. Has anyone else found this to be the case? 

I went into this buying season with the 921 forged until I found out they only offer them in the SEL setup with the 921 tour for lefties as mentioned  by OP......

I've hit 790 before and TO ME the clicky sound/feel has been removed somehow with the 770s.....didn't get a chance to swing the MC as there wasn't a demo head available..... the 921 tour impressed me for the size and profile ...... but I'm old and need help WITHOUT clickiness ......so 770 it is......forgiving,  great looks and feel and left handed availability......

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Guru of the greens said:

I tested both today and found them to be very similar in both feel and distance. The p7mc’s really surprised me with how good they felt. I thought in that department it would be a no contest but it was very close. The blade length and top line look very similar at address and both are very pleasing to the eye. The tours look to have a slightly thicker sole than the mc’s. 
My miss is a thin shot and the Mizuno were definitely less forgiving on those shots, not that either were particularly forgiving on that kind of shot. 
I was however pleasantly surprised at how easy both were to hit (I’m a 6 handicap) and my iron play definitely needs some work. I’m currently making a few swing changes so didn’t purchase either.  I really couldn’t choose between them at the minute but will be doing so once I’ve ironed out a few flaws. 

if you’re needing forgiveness the Mizuno forged or 770’s are the way to go. Neither have the feel that the clubs mentioned above do but that’s the sacrifice to be made for gaining forgiveness. I would pick the 770’s over the forged without a second thought. The forged looked too long in blade length and had too thick of a top line for my liking but were easy to hit.

I would pick whichever club is going to benefit your game most over the coming year or however long you keep your irons. This is golfWRX after all! 

What I did find odd was that in standard length clubs the Mizuno tour appears to be around a quarter of an inch longer in length than the Taylormade mmc. Has anyone else found this to be the case? 

https://www.taylormadegolf.com/on/demandware.static/-/Sites-TMaG-Library/en_US/v1600934792266/TaylorMade/Product_Specs/TM19_PSeries_Length_Measurement_Notice.pdf

Taylormade recently changed the way they measure their P-series club lengths. 

• Like 1

On 9/23/2020 at 1:13 PM, collinsp11 said:

Thanks for sharing this. These 3 irons - are exactly my contenders for 2021.  

• 3 weeks later...

Hit both of these again tonight after being fit two weeks ago and my fitting had 921T come in on top with p7-mc a close second, both hit in the kbs $taper 130x.

hit 6i during the fitting and hit 7i tonight. Results tonight mirrored what I saw two weeks ago which is nice because it gives me some confirmation. I am coming from my classic Adams cb2 idea pro black irons which have stayed in my bag for years and honestly there are still only marginal improvements. Anyway on to what I found. I am a +1.0 Hcp and feel like I hit the ball well and I feel like these irons fall into a 0-6 handicap category. Warmed up and hit 5 shots with each iron

7i            Adams cb2     P7mc.       921T

Ball sp      123.4.          123.7      126.6

Spin           6372.         6293.       6570

offline.         3.2L.         15.66L       1.9L

Total yrds.   194.6          189.2       198.3

*gc quad
*club speed 94.2

i had much more data from my trackman fitting but in general the numbers were similar. To be honest the feel out of both of these irons are quite similar. Both extremely workable more so than my cb2’s. I found the forgiveness was in the window I needed with the 921 and clearly wasn’t with the p7mc’s.  So it’s a clear winner although those Adams irons still hold they’re own.

Edited by LIGHT THE CANDLE
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've tried both, looking at going into 921T 5i-P/921F4i or P7MC 5i-P/P770 4i. I'll throw my bias out first, as I'm currently gaming JPX 900T. I play to 14HCP, but strike irons pretty well (can't get off the tee).

921T is definitely the more forgiving iron (maybe slightly tougher to fade for me), but MC was still a little more forgiving than I anticipated. Really expected them to be unplayable for me, but I wanted to hit them anyway, really glad I did! (edge miz)

I'd give the edge on feel to 921T, but that may be due to familiarity. Center strikes on both were amazing, off center, 921T is noticeably better. (slight edge miz)

They say you shouldn't care about looks in the bag, but I do, and though both are great looking, the MC in chrome is tough to beat. I'd probably worry more about dinging them up than I normally would but beauty is beauty! (slight edge TM).

With all those both being so similar, I could really game either, but the biggest difference for me was the combo club. 921F 4i looks decidedly better than P770 down by the ball, in my opinion. More compact, thinner top, slightly less offset, and because I play it relatively forward I see more of the backside with P770 at address. I don't love the feel of P770, but it's not the worst. I didn't get to hit 921F, but I have a 900F 4i, currently, and the feel is decent, and better than the P770.

• Like 2

DRIVERS (TBD):  PXG BLACK OPS TOUR 8*,  BLACK OPS TOUR 10.5*,  BLACK OPS STD 8*;  Vanquish 4TX / Diamana WB 53x / GD AD-VF 5s / Ventus TR Black 5x / Kaili White, Blue, Red 60x / Tensei AV White/Blue 65x / Diamana S+ 60x

FAIRWAYS:  TAYLORMADE STEALTH 2+ FAIRWAYS/HYBRIDS:  R13.5( FW Rocket TI), 12.8*, Kaili White/Blue 70X;  #3 FW, 15.0*, Kaili Blue 70X/Red 75X;  #4 FW TI, 16.6*, Kaili White 70TX;  #6 FW TI, 20.3*, Kaili White 80TX;  #3 HY 19.5*, Kaili White 90TX; #4 HY 22*, Kaili White 90X

PXG GEN5 0311X, Black Label Elite, 22*, Accra TZFive, 105DI, M5

PXG 0317T, Xtreme Dark, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG  GEN6 Two Sets 0311XP, Double Black and Xtreme Dark, 4 - LW, LAGP L Series, X

TAYLORMADE P7TW, 5 - GW, LAGP L Series, X

PXG 0311 Sugar Daddy II Milled Wedges, Xtreme Dark, 54*/10, 56*/10, 58*/10, 62*/10; // LAGP L Series, S

SCOTTY CAMERON CONCEPT X 7.2 LTD,  LAGOLF P 135g shaft // LAGOLF BEL-AIR X Forged Carbon Putter // TOULON GARAGE - Austin Custom Rose Gold // STEWART GOLF Q Follow Electric Cart..Carbon // SKYCADDIE SX550 // COBALT Q6 Slope

On 9/23/2020 at 9:01 AM, eric61 said:

Has anyone had a chance to test the TaylorMade P7MC and the Mizuno JPX 921 Tour? 

I'm specifically wondering:

• How would you compare the forgiveness of each of them? (Knowing of course that they're not designed to be particularly forgiving irons.) 
  • Feel-wise, how do they compare? 
  • Are there any particularly noteworthy design differences in terms of length or offset? 

I'm considering combo sets -- P770s and P7MCs vs. JPX 921 Forged 4/5 and Tour 6-PW (I'm a lefty, so that's the only option Mizuno offers there) -- and want to get some thoughts and comparisons before going in to do some more testing. I love the JPX Forged line (I'd just buy them throughout, if Mizuno offered that option for lefties) and have tested and gotten along well with P770s, but haven't tested the P7MCs or JPX 921 Tours. Thanks! 

I hit both and hands down hit the JPX better. More forgiving, softer feel, better sound IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

I've hit both and P770 in fitting at CC the other week. Man they both feel great!

In terms of "softness" yes, the 921 Tours feel ever so slightly softer. But if you hit them both in the center they are nearly indistinguishable. Feel is very subjective though. For me, I actually got better dispersion with the P7MC. It was more of a feel/swing weight thing for me. I play slightly counterbalanced clubs to begin with as something I tried out on a whim 7 ish years ago and it stuck. I currently game Vapor Pros 5-PW (Pro combo 3/4) at D0. The weight distribution of the P7MC head is more weight distributed behind the sweet spot and up to the middle of the face. Hence slightly higher COG which honestly felt it swing "lighter" to me. Versus the 921T has some extra weight out on the toe (for forgiveness I know), but that can also be felt on swings as the weight is "further away" and hence slightly "heavier" to me. Also hit the X Forged CB with that weight port and pretty heavy weight directly in the middle, the COG felt much lower in the head as far as weight distribution so this also felt "heavier" to me on the swing.  I know it's splitting hairs here, just providing my opinion on how it felt swinging the club. Also **potentially?** due to this head geometry, the P7MC had lower spin numbers (6i testing) than the 921 Tour. 

all in all, the P7MC just felt more comfortable for me on the swing. With shafts, $taper lite brought that spin number back up compared to Nippon Modus 105, C taper lite, DG 105, etc. So that ended up with the winning combo for me. I ended up choosing P770 in the 3/4 iron as that iron in testing launched higher with more spin and were definitely more forgiving. So I thought why not get the extra help on those two long irons. 

Also if topline is a thing for you for what it's worth, the 921 Tours have probably the thinnest top line out there in that MC category. I have a picture side by side of the 921 Tours and P7MC unsure if its allowed to post. Long time lurker not so up to date on the rules of posting....

Now apparently back ordered until January... can't wait!

Edited by lil_dRew
  • Like 2

TaylorMade Sim 2 - Fuji Pro 2.0 50 stiff
TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti 3 Wood 15 deg- MCA Blue 65 stiff

TaylorMade Sim 2 Rescue 17 deg - MCA Blue 80 Hybrid stiff

TaylorMade P770 - 3/4 Iron - KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

TaylorMade P7MC - 5-PW - KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Raw - 54 - KBS 610 Wedge stiff

Callaway Mack Daddy Forged - 58 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff

Nike Method Converge B1-01

34 minutes ago, lil_dRew said:

I've hit both and P770 in fitting at CC the other week. Man they both feel great!

In terms of "softness" yes, the 921 Tours feel ever so slightly softer. But if you hit them both in the center they are nearly indistinguishable. Feel is very subjective though. For me, I actually got better dispersion with the P7MC. It was more of a feel/swing weight thing for me. I play slightly counterbalanced clubs to begin with as something I tried out on a whim 7 ish years ago and it stuck. I currently game Vapor Pros 5-PW (Pro combo 3/4) at D0. The weight distribution of the P7MC head is more weight distributed behind the sweet spot and up to the middle of the face. Hence slightly higher COG which honestly felt it swing "lighter" to me. Versus the 921T has some extra weight out on the toe (for forgiveness I know), but that can also be felt on swings as the weight is "further away" and hence slightly "heavier" to me. Also hit the X Forged CB with that weight port and pretty heavy weight directly in the middle, the COG felt much lower in the head as far as weight distribution so this also felt "heavier" to me on the swing.  I know it's splitting hairs here, just providing my opinion on how it felt swinging the club. Also **potentially?** due to this head geometry, the P7MC had lower spin numbers (6i testing) than the 921 Tour. 

all in all, the P7MC just felt more comfortable for me on the swing. With shafts, $taper lite brought that spin number back up compared to Nippon Modus 105, C taper lite, DG 105, etc. So that ended up with the winning combo for me. I ended up choosing P770 in the 3/4 iron as that iron in testing launched higher with more spin and were definitely more forgiving. So I thought why not get the extra help on those two long irons. 

Also if topline is a thing for you for what it's worth, the 921 Tours have probably the thinnest top line out there in that MC category. I have a picture side by side of the 921 Tours and P7MC unsure if its allowed to post. Long time lurker not so up to date on the rules of posting....

Now apparently back ordered until January... can't wait!

Post those pics!!!

really nothing special! 921 Tour on the left P7MC on the right. 

921T is just slightly thinner

IMG_2055.jpg

• Like 2

TaylorMade Sim 2 - Fuji Pro 2.0 50 stiff
TaylorMade Sim 2 Ti 3 Wood 15 deg- MCA Blue 65 stiff

TaylorMade Sim 2 Rescue 17 deg - MCA Blue 80 Hybrid stiff

TaylorMade P770 - 3/4 Iron - KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

TaylorMade P7MC - 5-PW - KBS $-Taper Lite stiff

Callaway Mack Daddy 5 Raw - 54 - KBS 610 Wedge stiff

Callaway Mack Daddy Forged - 58 - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 stiff

Nike Method Converge B1-01

On 10/12/2020 at 10:15 PM, LIGHT THE CANDLE said:

Hit both of these again tonight after being fit two weeks ago and my fitting had 921T come in on top with p7-mc a close second, both hit in the kbs $taper 130x.

hit 6i during the fitting and hit 7i tonight. Results tonight mirrored what I saw two weeks ago which is nice because it gives me some confirmation. I am coming from my classic Adams cb2 idea pro black irons which have stayed in my bag for years and honestly there are still only marginal improvements. Anyway on to what I found. I am a +1.0 Hcp and feel like I hit the ball well and I feel like these irons fall into a 0-6 handicap category. Warmed up and hit 5 shots with each iron

7i            Adams cb2     P7mc.       921T

Ball sp      123.4.          123.7      126.6

Spin           6372.         6293.       6570

offline.         3.2L.         15.66L       1.9L

Total yrds.   194.6          189.2       198.3

*gc quad
*club speed 94.2

i had much more data from my trackman fitting but in general the numbers were similar. To be honest the feel out of both of these irons are quite similar. Both extremely workable more so than my cb2’s. I found the forgiveness was in the window I needed with the 921 and clearly wasn’t with the p7mc’s.  So it’s a clear winner although those Adams irons still hold they’re own.

Had a similar experience to this on quad yesterday. Very strong ball speeds from 921 Tour with CT 130x. 

• Like 1

I did not test the p7mc, but I also saw really good ball speeds and spin deviation with 921 tours.  Some of the best spin consistency I’ve seen when testing.  I was just striking it better.  Was using kbs $ taper 130.  Great feeling shaft!

Really making me think about putting them in the bag.  Just had an incredibly consistent ball flight.  

Edited by wam78
  • Like 1

Mizuno   STZ 230 9.5*   Tensei Raw White 65x

Taylormade   Tour Issue Stealth  3 HL Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5

Taylormade   Stealth+ 5w   Diamana OG Kai’Li 70x  

Wilson   Staff CB 7-P / D9 Forged 5-6  Modus 120x

Searching…

Searching…  

Srixon Z Star 💎  OR   Bridgestone Tour B X 

29 minutes ago, wam78 said:

I did not test the p7mc, but I also saw really good ball speeds and spin deviation with 921 tours.  Some of the best spin consistency I’ve seen when testing.  I was just striking it better.  Was using kbs $ taper 130.  Great feeling shaft!

Really making me think about putting them in the bag.  Just had an incredibly consistent ball flight.  

Agree. My spin was the same on nearly every shot. The C taper X is also incredibly straight so that helped. Ball speed was great even on slight miss hits. Very soft. Perfect flight window. Just a solid one piece forged players stick. 

• Like 3

• 3 months later...

I think forgiveness can be measured in many ways. I play off 12 now, or I should say that was my last official HC before lockdown - having come down from 22 at the start of last year. I was previously using what was a game improvement iron, and due to an unfortunate set of circumstances I was forced to borrow a friends set of JPX 919 Tours for a golf day. I played the best round ever, from a much smaller and ‘less forgiving’ head. 

My point here is that something may suit your eye better and may suit your swing better, or any of the other negotiable s that there are with golf where an explanation can’t really be found. 

If you like hitting something and it helps you enjoy the game more, regardless of handicap, then just go with it. Blade, muscle back, game improvement - baseball bat?! I don’t think it matters. Enjoy yourselves. 

• Like 1