What's coming next from the USGA and R&A...

mvhoffman

10 minutes ago, smashdn said:

It is in relation to the conjoined argument that the ball can be rolled back for pro swing speeds but would impact everyone.  Making a course play well for shorter hitters is infinitely easier and cheaper than making it play well for hitters too long for the longest tee boxes.  IF you intend to keep features in the driving ranges of those longest players. 

The thing is, making course longer is a pointless and does not create the appropriate challenge or thought. If you kept everything the same, shortend courses and made the wider. Distance is less of a premium as hitting a wedge vs. someone else 9 iron is not that big of a difference. The only question then, is are we trying to protect par? And why?? 

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I really don't see dialing back as hurting because most everyone could move forward a set of tees.  Also if they dialed back the ball, it presumably would impact upper mid to tour level ball, not the softer ball that slower swings speeds should be using. 

That's purely a somewhat uneducated opinion on my behalf but seems logical to me at least.

The majority of women and more enlightened senior men beg to differ.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Hate to come at this from a "holier than thou" standpoint but the average consumer is easily duped.  The "game improvement" iron lofts are strong,  The traditional blades to a much lesser extent, or at least you could buy them closer to traditional lofts a while back.  So you got a set of players who just care about their 7i going farther regardless of the fact that they now need to go buy another wedge or the set they just bought comes with this funny A or G club at the bottom end of the set.  And another set where the most important thing is getting the ball to stop where they want it.

I played in a work scramble the other day.  I was paired with a younger guy (I'm 35 so he was probably early 20's) and he was constantly asking me what club I was hitting then kind of chuckling that I was using too much club.  My irons are maybe 8 years old forged cb's.  Still pretty close to "traditional" lofts.  

I hate to pick at your wife's logic but swimming and timed events on a standardized arena/play area are different.  I don't think anyone begrudges people getting better or faster at their sport by working out.  When you involve equipment advances it gets hairy.  (Didn't they get rid of the full body swim suit things in competition?)

Where it really takes a left turn is when the playing field is designed to examine a player's abilities to hit certain shots, to test certain attributes of their games.  That seems to be the real playability issue to me.  Then you throw in the extra yardages required to continue to do that at the upper performance levels and the extra area/acreage you need to do that with the extra inputs (fertilize, water, fungicides, etc.) it starts to get unpalatable not only from a cost standpoint but you start to lose the argument for golf with non-golfers if golf courses aren't sustainable.

I am not sure if this is a good analogy but let me give it a try.  Steeplechase.  With horses not runners.  If for some reason there was some great advancement in horses that made them jump 5 feet higher, would all of the steeplechase jumps also need to be raised to create a challenge commensurate with the intent of the sport?  Without the real risk of knocking down a log steeplechase devolves into barrel racing and it becomes who has the fastest horse.

Without putting real challenges in front of professional golfers, it devolves into a driver/wedge/putting contest.  The only place left to test a long iron is on a par 3.  Four par threes over 200 yards I don't think is anybody's idea of good, thought-provoking golf architecture.

I think the USGA would be well served to not care as much what is going on with the pros.  Have your handful of events where the pros (men and ladies and senior) are eligible.  Set them up best you can and continue to spend the bulk of your efforts on the ams and recreational golfers and keeping golf sustainable and affordable.

Yes, the average customer is easily duped...but, they move product and inject money into R&D programs (BTW, I sliced open a Callaway ERC and the core was still off-center even after their hundreds of thousands of dollars in revamping).

The analogies to swimming are also poor because, even on a world stage, the time records that were set with the uber spacesuits in the 2008 Olympics have been shattered with "normal" race suits.  If that were analogous to golf, that would mean that Bryson's performance a few weeks ago would've had to be done on a persimmon driver with a wound ball.  By talking about limiting distance on a golf ball or golf club, the better analogy (as I see it, and as I've digested and understood the information) would be either putting Michael Phelps into some baggy Old Navy boardshorts, or putting a parachute on Katy Ledecky.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

Irish open announcers went on a rip this morning about long putters and distance. Lol. Calling for bifurcation live on air.  

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

5 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

There are two kinds of people. Those who embrace change and those who resist change.

Agree. And The true path is usually in the middle.  Sometimes change is good. But should be examined from all sides before adopting.  Unfortunately the USga hasn’t done that since the 70s or better. It’s been a free for all.  

the person who embraces change because it pokes a finger in the eye of tradition is no better than the person who holds onto the past with both hands for fear of facing the future.  

• Like 1

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I've expressed this on other forums as well:

I'm worried about shorter golf courses and their fates in the middle of this "distance" narrative.

The 6200 yard county course I love, they are just licking their chops to bulldoze and develop.

The "distance" narrative will claim such courses are no longer "valid" and they'll use that as the final excuse to bulldoze and develop the land.

Golf courses are often the LARGEST inner-city parcels of land which remain. I fear their time is limited, and this all feeds into it.

• Like 4

I expect if the usga does anything it will be thru the conditions of competition like the groove rule, so bifurcation but not bifurcation.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they roll out the revised standards at the Masters. No other course has been revised as often to try to keep the same shot values into the greens. Maybe they are tired of buying land...

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

I get you are being sarcastic but...

Go back to 1980.  The drives were shorter, but they fit the courses.  The balls did spin more, and the game was played differently as a result, there was a concession to accuracy and control over distance.  The rounds did not take longer to play.  Just as with advancing technology and driving it farther, the rounds have not gotten quicker.

If anything, rounds take longer today than in 1980.

• Like 2
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Mo Golfers... Mo Problems.

• Like 1

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

1 hour ago, QuigleyDU said:

The thing is, making course longer is a pointless and does not create the appropriate challenge or thought. If you kept everything the same, shortend courses and made the wider. Distance is less of a premium as hitting a wedge vs. someone else 9 iron is not that big of a difference. The only question then, is are we trying to protect par? And why?? 

I wouldn't say pointless.  If the intention is to put the landing area of long hitter's drives back into an area of the fairway that they were in 10-20-30 years ago, then moving tee boxes backwards makes as much sense as anything.  We can argue if attempting to carry out that intention is pointless however.

Are we protecting par or are we attempting to keep the course playing as it was designed to some extent?  A dog leg for instance is most always designed where some portion of players can "cut it" and gain an advantage at somewhat of a risk.  If everyone now has the length to accomplish that and that smaller percentage who could before is now blowing it by with no risk, you sort of destroy the intent of the challenge.  There are oodles of things like that.  So in some instances a long hitter loses his advantage by virtue of most everyone gaining that advantage.  Though he may also gain by not carrying into an area of risk.  I don't get the impression many archies are too worried about bunkers 360 off the tee, they'd be more likely to gobble a second shot most places than a drive, so they don't go to the expense to build them.  You carry that bunker back there at 290 it is smooth sailing down the fairway.  If the bunker was in the "traditional" 260 range and guys now carry it 300 no problem, that bunker doesn't concern them in the least.

Some folks tend to think that rolling the ball (or other pieces of equipment) back is meant to somehow "punish" long hitters.  Not the case in my view.  It is meant as an attempt to maintain interest and shot values and a balance of advantages gained from distance versus or in concert with accuracy.

1 minute ago, smashdn said:

I wouldn't say pointless.  If the intention is to put the landing area of long hitter's drives back into an area of the fairway that they were in 10-20-30 years ago, then moving tee boxes backwards makes as much sense as anything.  We can argue if attempting to carry out that intention is pointless however.

Are we protecting par or are we attempting to keep the course playing as it was designed to some extent?  A dog leg for instance is most always designed where some portion of players can "cut it" and gain an advantage at somewhat of a risk.  If everyone now has the length to accomplish that and that smaller percentage who could before is now blowing it by with no risk, you sort of destroy the intent of the challenge.  There are oodles of things like that.  So in some instances a long hitter loses his advantage by virtue of most everyone gaining that advantage.  Though he may also gain by not carrying into an area of risk.  I don't get the impression many archies are too worried about bunkers 360 off the tee, they'd be more likely to gobble a second shot most places than a drive, so they don't go to the expense to build them.  You carry that bunker back there at 290 it is smooth sailing down the fairway.  If the bunker was in the "traditional" 260 range and guys now carry it 300 no problem, that bunker doesn't concern them in the least.

Some folks tend to think that rolling the ball (or other pieces of equipment) back is meant to somehow "punish" long hitters.  Not the case in my view.  It is meant as an attempt to maintain interest and shot values and a balance of advantages gained from distance versus or in concert with accuracy.

My point is that if the reaction to length is more length. Then the test of golf becomes how can I get longer. 

You have to find a way to test them with something other than length. There are some courses that are very able to do that. Now they are unique and maybe not how you would want to play week in and week out. But, it can be done. Royal Melbourne, Harbor town, I would say Augusta. There is more. Where length of course helps, but is not required. 

If you played Harbor town every week. Then Web Simpson would be the greatest player in the world. If you set up courses where the only answer is to get longer. Then players will get longer. You have to ask them to do something different. 

• Like 3

BALL; Chrome Soft X

I haven’t said this in other times. But I have this gut feeling this time they are going to drop a bomb and change in a big way.  

• Like 2

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, munichop said:

I expect if the usga does anything it will be thru the conditions of competition like the groove rule, so bifurcation but not bifurcation.  It wouldn’t surprise me if they roll out the revised standards at the Masters. No other course has been revised as often to try to keep the same shot values into the greens. Maybe they are tired of buying land...

Augusta has spent approximately $200 million over the past 20 years on adjacent land and very little of that has been for the purposes of expanding the primary course. In reality, it has been more for infrastructure expansion, lodging, and building a larger privacy buffer (I have also heard that they have aspirations to build another course).

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, smashdn said:

That's my point.  It is a fallacy to think that driving it shorter will slow down rounds.  Bill Yates work showed what you just pointed out, driving distance increases have added to round times.

The USGAs report attributed only an average of 1-1.5 minutes per additional 100 yards. Do longer courses increase round times? Yes, but you are greatly exaggerating the impact it has on pace of play. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smashdn said:

I get you are being sarcastic but...

Go back to 1980.  The drives were shorter, but they fit the courses.  The balls did spin more, and the game was played differently as a result, there was a concession to accuracy and control over distance.  The rounds did not take longer to play.  Just as with advancing technology and driving it farther, the rounds have not gotten quicker.

I am assuming that you, like me, are old enough to remember what it was like to play using 1980 equipment. The game was much more difficult. The conditions of the courses was a lot different. I'm 66, and don't want to go back to the "good old days". There are millions of golfers today that have never used anything except big drivers, solid balls, and jacked up irons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of them quit if the governing bodies decide everything needs to be rolled back. Even if equipment is rolled back, they can't roll back future generations getting bigger, stronger, and more athletic. And, really, there was one bomber and gouger under par at the US Open. I wouldn't think the USGA and R&A need to overreact, and do anything.

Edited by caniac6
  • Like 4

All the "changes," and we've essentially come full circle. Bring back big grooves, bring back the long putters. Reign in the ball like they should have.

It was all for naught. New USGA campaign slogan: "We were wrong. We're sorry."

If the USGA will admit as much, they will have my respect again, and return to some semblance of credibility. That is the biggest thing they could do for me right now that I would consider "monumental." Get over themselves. How many ways can they make it apparent they want the game to be more elite with fewer participants? Bunch of rich guys. Thanks a lot.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

I haven’t said this in other times. But I have this gut feeling this time they are going to drop a bomb and change in a big way.  

I hope it’s bifurcation. The pros might hit it too far, but none of the guys I play with have ever complained that they hit it too far.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, QuigleyDU said:

My point is that if the reaction to length is more length. Then the test of golf becomes how can I get longer. 

You have to find a way to test them with something other than length. There are some courses that are very able to do that. Now they are unique and maybe not how you would want to play week in and week out. But, it can be done. Royal Melbourne, Harbor town, I would say Augusta. There is more. Where length of course helps, but is not required. 

If you played Harbor town every week. Then Web Simpson would be the greatest player in the world. If you set up courses where the only answer is to get longer. Then players will get longer. You have to ask them to do something different. 

Wholeheartedly agree.  Length of course begets more length from the players.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Wholeheartedly agree.  Length of course begets more length from the players.

Long and narrow with long rough is a terrible set up. Literally only the longest will survive as everyone, event the straightest hitters will miss fairways. Widen the fairways, firm everything up, make creativity and precision as important as length. 

EDIT*** None of this requires a rollback.. Just FYI. It just takes some acceptance the game is evolving. If you roll back the ball.. Just like the anchor ban and groove rule. 

Edited by QuigleyDU

BALL; Chrome Soft X

1 hour ago, storm319 said:

The USGAs report attributed only an average of 1-1.5 minutes per additional 100 yards. Do longer courses increase round times? Yes, but you are greatly exaggerating the impact it has on pace of play. 

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  You mis-read what I typed.  Somehow you turned "driving distance" into "longer courses."  Pump the brakes and absorb what you are reading please.

Driving distance creates more waiting.  Waiting attributed to having to wait for driveable par fours and reachable par five holes to clear.  This creates the pacing issue, which in turn creates a time to play issue.  Pace and time to play are different things.

Slide 32/35 in this > https://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/pace of play/pace-of-play-at-pinehurst-no-2-during-the-us-open.pdf

More instances of driveable par fours and reachable par fives (3 more holes for the women in the 2014 US Opens at Pinehurst) resulted in 97 more instances delays attributed to waiting for a green to clear to hit.  They experienced more delays despite playing a course that was about 1100 yards shorter.

A cardinal sin in course design is to begin a course with a par five and follow it with a driveable four or par three.  That is a pacing issue which turns into a time to play issue, or more accurately, it becomes a perceived time to play issue.  Another finding of Bill Yates was that golf consumers aren't as affected by length of the round as they are the flow of the round.  A round that takes 4:30 to play is tolerable if you never wait.  A round that takes 4:05 is unbearable if you are constantly waiting on the group in front of you.

Please, what are you saying I am exaggerating the impact of?  Is it pace of play, round times or increased delays due to waiting?  Then I would say that it isn't so much that I am exaggerating the impact but I was just relating the results found out by Bill Yates' work.  I'd say take it up with him but he has unfortunately passed.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/25/2020 at 11:19 AM, caniac6 said:

I am assuming that you, like me, are old enough to remember what it was like to play using 1980 equipment. The game was much more difficult. The conditions of the courses was a lot different. I'm 66, and don't want to go back to the "good old days". There are millions of golfers today that have never used anything except big drivers, solid balls, and jacked up irons. I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of them quit if the governing bodies decide everything needs to be rolled back. Even if equipment is rolled back, they can't roll back future generations getting bigger, stronger, and more athletic. And, really, there was one bomber and gouger under par at the US Open. I wouldn't think the USGA and R&A need to overreact, and do anything.

I'm 35 so missed out on the conditions but do play the equipment currently.  I got tired of the big drivers, and so on.  I picked up some beat up Hogan blades and Hogan persimmon woods and started walking with them.  You have to play differently with the old clubs.  It isn't bad or wrong it is just different.  And you either enjoy the difference or you do not.  I find it to be a very fulfilling way to play the game.  When you score well and hit good shots with the older clubs it is an accomplishment.  If you want to keep your shots with those clubs on the hole you are playing, you better throttle down and make hitting the ball squarely a priority over hitting it far.

^That sounds very hipster-esque but I can assure you I am not.  Overall it has made me a better player with modern tech clubs.  I also have a baseline to compare it too.  It is easy to realize how different (most cases easier) it is to get good results from modern clubs versus the old stuff, especially the woods.  With the old clubs I am also hitting those woods a bunch more.  Some because of distances left for second shots, some because you want to throttle back and get in the fairway.  Hitting a persimmon driver is hard not so much because of the distance you give up, but more so the forgiveness.  And it isn't really about forgiveness, it is about the lack of result you get from a mishit.  I mishit my modern driver it may be a push that goes 5-10 yards shorter.  The same miss with the persimmon goes 40 yards shorter and 40 yards further right.

I don't think that is a good idea for everyone to have to deal with that unless they want to (and I'd advise to try it out anyway, you may find it fun) but more to infuse that level of difficulty back into the pro game with equipment changes, since, imo, setups and course conditions aren't capable.  Or the ruling bodies can come out and say that they don't care what happens.  Either way it won't change how I play the game.  It has already changed my level of interest in viewing Tour events however.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Blade, have you seen something specific recently that has made you change your mind?  I understand that Bryson's performance in the US Open has triggered a fresh "sky is falling" response for many people, but I don't see that anything really different has happened that wasn't happening a year or two back.  

31 minutes ago, davep043 said:

Blade, have you seen something specific recently that has made you change your mind?  I understand that Bryson's performance in the US Open has triggered a fresh "sky is falling" response for many people, but I don't see that anything really different has happened that wasn't happening a year or two back.  

Just wait and see if BCD annihilates Augusta...more than the sky will fall in. The Masters will be worth watching just to see how Augusta stands up to him.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff or Mizuno MP4 4-PW
Vokey SM8 52/58; MD Golf 56
Radius Classic 8

5 hours ago, BlackDiamondPar5 said:

I really don't see dialing back as hurting because most everyone could move forward a set of tees.  Also if they dialed back the ball, it presumably would impact upper mid to tour level ball, not the softer ball that slower swings speeds should be using. 

That's purely a somewhat uneducated opinion on my behalf but seems logical to me at least.

I already play the senior tees, not really anywhere for me to move up to, lol. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

Same feeling here, that's why I started the thread.  I think Mike Davis is going to drop a bomb and walk away from the carnage 

• Like 1

Driver:    2021 Cobra Rad Speed Peacote 9* w Kuro Kage 60g Silver TiNi Dual-Core Shaft 

Fairway Woods: 2014 Adams Tight Lies 14° 3 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

2015 Adams Tight Lies 22° 7 Wood w Kuro Kage 65g Shaft tipped 1 inch

Irons:  2016 Nike Vapor Fly 4-AW   

Wedges:  2017 Cleveland CBX 56°& 60°wedge              
Shafts:  Matrix Ozik Program F15 85S Graphite Shafts 4i - 60°

Grips:   Superstroke S-Tech + 2 Wraps
Putter:  Gamer -  2020 Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s Black w Superstroke Claw 1.0 grip at 35in.

Backup - Custom Built Bastain Milled Prototype w Px 6.0 shaft and Lamkin Deep Etched Cord Grip at 33in.

Ball:  Taylor Made 21' Rocketballz            Bag:  Ogio Fuse Whiskey            Glove: MG Dyna-Grip Elite             Current Shoes: True Linkswear Motion phx

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

There are two kinds of people. Those who embrace change and those who resist change.

This is a meaningless phrase used to infer the person resisting change (that another person wants), is somehow in the wrong. The phrase of course is not really true at all - no person alive accepts all change or resists all change. 

Resisting change is not necessary a bad thing - it is often protecting something you and others value. Lots of dramatic examples you can point to. For instance, I remember there was a guy with a funny moustache trying to change Europe a few years back, I tend to think it was good people resisted that.

From different perspectives sometimes change is good or bad and should be accepted or resisted. 

What does this have to do with golf and this conversation? Some people value elements of the game and do not want to see them change - they want to preserve the game.  I am sure everyone who values this game has some element they would resist being changed and some changes they would embrace. This is a discussion about what we value and what we don't.

Edited by 2bGood
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, airjammer said:

I disagree people need more distance...people need to either play the correct tees for how far they actually hit it on a average shot.  I cannot remember the last time I played with someone who actually played tee too short for them.  You can plant a tee anywhere you have a stance so technically you can make the course as short as you want it just like a lot of people do with their kids.  

Sean you seem like a very nice human being and I appreciate that. But in golf and pretty much all sports you get what you deserve by your skill..end of story.  You can be the biggest jerk in the world and if you beat your opponents by 1 shot every time, you’re the best in the world.  If one needs more distance compared to their peers then by god they need to develop that skill by any means necessary.  For most it just a cop out..if they had distance then they would complain they don’t hit it straight enough. Then if they hit it long enough and straight enough they would just complain they don’t putt well enough and so on. People just want to better than they are from Am’s to professionals, some work to get better and some do nothing then complain about it’s not fair. 

If I had the ability change anything about golf or my life in general it would be the ability to replicate feelings you had the first time you felt them. Whether it be your first kiss or your first nutted 3wd off the deck over water to just a couple of feet. Because as you continuously do something those feelings become normalized. That’s the plight of a avid golfer, you hit enough really good shots for you that you don’t get “high” anymore. It only seems to come for beating your competition in which you have no control over how your competition plays. 

Thank you, and I agree with you. Golf is one of those activities where generally speaking expectations exceed ability. 

I see quite a few folks playing tees that might not be best for their game. At 65 years old, I play the senior tees and walk 99% of my rounds. I don't see myself hitting the gym to bulk up so I can get more distance, lol. I exercise daily, but at this stage in my life I don't have the motivation to take that exercise to the next level so I can squeeze out a few more yards.