What's coming next from the USGA and R&A...

2 hours ago, Sean2 said:

Maybe the way the game is being played is evolving? The game used to require finesse, shot making, and course management. Now there seems to be less of that and more of hit it as far as you can and wedge it in. Hitting fairways while a plus, doesn't seem to be a priority. Perhaps the game is changing into a bomb and gouge kinda thing. 

Technology took a game that was pretty darn difficult, and made it easier.  Since true sportsmen love a challenge, technology cheapened the game.

In sailing, some of the most important sailors are competing in one design classes.  The rules for hull and sail measurements, and materials, are tightly controlled.  IT is the sailor himself which matters, not the equipment.

• Like 3
Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's nice that a few people decide how 60 million golfers play the game. I understand the need for rules, but sometimes I think the ruling bodies can be a bit heavy handed...and, instead of growing th

It does take less strategy. In the old days, we had to look at a map and make a strategy just to find the golf course. We had to bring dimes so we could make phone calls at pay phones. We had to bring

It largely comes down to these areas:   1a. Head size. Head size and sweet spot are related.  A smaller club head and sweet spot brings the risk/reward factor more into play. The mishits wit

Posted Images

2 hours ago, gvogel said:

Technology took a game that was pretty darn difficult, and made it easier.  Since true sportsmen love a challenge, technology cheapened the game.

In sailing, some of the most important sailors are competing in one design classes.  The rules for hull and sail measurements, and materials, are tightly controlled.  IT is the sailor himself which matters, not the equipment.

If you think it was harder to hit persimmon 250 into the fairway than it is to hit modern 320 into the same fairway kudos to you. If you think the short game is easier today than it was with spinnier balls and slower and softer greens kudos to you. 
If you and @Nard_S want the game to stay where it was when it was dominated by guys that spent more time at the bar then they did at the gym and the range....that is where you will be disappointed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Tools for the job!

I'm down for technology and know how to make the player better. I'm less down for adding 40 yards to their capability without an offset on the terrain/course they are playing. That is the issue. Crooked Stick is an excellent challenge to modern player. Shinnecock remains that. Winged Foot with it's imposing greens and length came off as monotonous and boring. Augusta is a jewel but it is not the challenge it once was in the persimmon/balata era. It's just not. So this chest puffing about how good todays' guys are without acknowledging what the tech adds is incredibly disingenuous. So we are just going to have sit back and let Bryson make it plain as day what's happening and then in true American fashion dollars will determine winner. I know this, Bryson is not Tiger, so good luck with that.

16 minutes ago, Shilgy said:

If you think it was harder to hit persimmon 250 into the fairway than it is to hit modern 320 into the same fairway kudos to you. If you think the short game is easier today than it was with spinnier balls and slower and softer greens kudos to you. 
If you and @Nard_S want the game to stay where it was when it was dominated by guys that spent more time at the bar then they did at the gym and the range....that is where you will be disappointed.

Oh do come along.

In the nineties I used to watch players like Pavin, Olazabal, Des Smyth, Rafferty etc hitting shots that were pure artistry, and winning. 

They all did their time at the range, but not at the gym, no. 
Jack wasn’t big on the gym either. 

I have zero interest in seeing boring gym bunnies using clubs made from unobtanium. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Oh do come along.

In the nineties I used to watch players like Pavin, Olazabal, Des Smyth, Rafferty etc hitting shots that were pure artistry, and winning. 

They all did their time at the range, but not at the gym, no. 
Jack wasn’t big on the gym either. 

I have zero interest in seeing boring gym bunnies using clubs made from unobtanium. 

For years golf as seen as a skill and not a sport. Like billiards rather than the decathlon. But today’s player...no pun intended referring to Gary Player or even Stranahan who did so years ago...today’s player knows that being gym fit and golf fit are not mutually exclusive and that their game benefits in multiple ways.

You may not like it but it is not just distance they work out for.

PS you did not see Smith and Rafferty win often....maybe they should have worked out a bit.🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Tools for the job!

4 hours ago, gvogel said:

Every time I see a comparison to another sport/competition, I feel compelled to remind those opining for the past that there are in fact persimmon leagues, tournaments and golf clubs available to the connoisseur of golf's past.

"Since true sportsmen love a challenge, technology cheapened the game."

If we follow this logic, than just about every "sporting challenge" has been cheapened over time.  I feel dirty now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

What's coming next from Randa and Usga?

Clearly, it's mandatory use of inverted plastic bottle caps on every shot.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Ping Zing BeCU Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

Bridgestone e6, Noodle Neon, or Titleist TruSoft balls

Various trinkets, ball markers, and white wooden tees

14 hours ago, Shilgy said:

For years golf as seen as a skill and not a sport. Like billiards rather than the decathlon. But today’s player...no pun intended referring to Gary Player or even Stranahan who did so years ago...today’s player knows that being gym fit and golf fit are not mutually exclusive and that their game benefits in multiple ways.

You may not like it but it is not just distance they work out for.

PS you did not see Smith and Rafferty win often....maybe they should have worked out a bit.🤔

Des Smyth won eight times, Rafferty seven and was order of merit winner in 1989 beating Monty, and finished fourth in the Masters.

They sure stunk the place out, hacks. 

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

Des Smyth won eight times, Rafferty seven and was order of merit winner in 1989 beating Monty, and finished fourth in the Masters.

2 hours ago, hammersia said:

I certainly am not saying they stunk....don’t be twisting someone’s quote. But they did not win a lot nor on the best tour of the day.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Tools for the job!

4 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

I'm new to the Ryder Cup....When did it start? What's the win loss for each side?

12 to Europe and 9 to the USA, although I can’t remember when the last USA victory was to be honest. 1983?

Oh yeah, the cheaty one at Kiawah if you want to count that.

Edit, sorry forgot the cheaty one at Brookline as well.

Edited by hammersia
17 minutes ago, hammersia said:

12 to Europe and 9 to the USA, although I can’t remember when the last USA victory was to be honest. 1983?

Oh yeah, the cheaty one at Kiawah if you want to count that.

Edit, sorry forgot the cheaty one at Brookline as well.

Why am I being told that the Ryder Cup started in 1927 and not in 1983?

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Titleist99 said:

Why am I being told that the Ryder Cup started in 1927 and not in 1983?

Ah, allow me to inform you on that - prior to 1979 it was a very loose golf exhibition, loads of invitees, wasn’t really scored properly, more of a social type event. Loads of gimmes, mulligans etc. 

In 1979 the authorities decided to make it a more formal competition, all scores count. 

18 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Ah, allow me to inform you on that - prior to 1979 it was a very loose golf exhibition, loads of invitees, wasn’t really scored properly, more of a social type event. Loads of gimmes, mulligans etc. 

In 1979 the authorities decided to make it a more formal competition, all scores count. 

Wow.....first I ever heard of that. Please give me the link so I can read more about this.......very interesting.

1 hour ago, hammersia said:

Which British colony is Arizona a part of?

WITB
Tools for the job!

6 minutes ago, hammersia said:

Well of course it was Vardon and Taylor who taught the colonials the game in the first place. 

I was just referring to the revisionist history you seem to prefer. 

Hmm it thought it was Ouimet that taught Vardon and Taylor? 🤔

WITB
Tools for the job!

On 10/29/2020 at 10:52 PM, oikos1 said:

Every time I see a comparison to another sport/competition, I feel compelled to remind those opining for the past that there are in fact persimmon leagues, tournaments and golf clubs available to the connoisseur of golf's past.

"Since true sportsmen love a challenge, technology cheapened the game."

If we follow this logic, than just about every "sporting challenge" has been cheapened over time.  I feel dirty now.

No idea what that means. Running, cycling and swimming have barely changed in a hundred years or more. Rugby, cricket, soccer, baseball, boxing hardly either, just some minor rule tweaks. 

Tennis.. the game changed with wooden rackets going out. For the better? Many would say not, with the serve counting for too much. 

I can barely think of a sport that has changed quicker than golf. Actually I can’t.

current swing coached by wrxers..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wgXZab7vI4

On 10/29/2020 at 8:49 PM, Shilgy said:

I don’t think anyone is disappointed at how much time anyone spends practicing or working out. Just that the skill element has got less important as the fitness aspect has got more so. That means golf is less of a sport for all shapes and sizes, and increasingly everyone looks and swings the same. 

• Like 2

On 10/29/2020 at 2:07 PM, Nard_S said:

So this chest puffing about how good todays' guys are without acknowledging what the tech adds is incredibly disingenuous.

Absolutely, on Tour the reason for the longer distance and, or, improved accuracy is due to improvements in the clubs and balls.

Equipment has not made a significant to hackers, but for the best players in the world high quality graphite shafts and high tech golf balls has resulted in longer, straighter golf shots.

KZG SP700 driver

Srixon F65 3-wood

Srixon H65 3, 4 hybrids

Mizuno MP63 5 thru 9-iron

Cleveland RTX 48-52-56-64 wedges

Scotty Cameron Classic III putter

1 hour ago, milesgiles said:

No idea what that means. Running, cycling and swimming have barely changed in a hundred years or more. Rugby, cricket, soccer, baseball, boxing hardly either, just some minor rule tweaks. 

Tennis.. the game changed with wooden rackets going out. For the better? Many would say not, with the serve counting for too much. 

I can barely think of a sport that has changed quicker than golf. Actually I can’t.

Cycling hasn't changed?  Lol

Then_and_Now_2.jpg?v=1523372280

Running? (there was just a thread discussing how the shoe and track surfaces have made runners faster).  Baseball?  Teams now use GPS to identify the location of a pitchers point of release for every pitch.

Surely you were aware of these things.  If not, now you are.

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, oikos1 said:

Running? (there was just a thread discussing how the shoe and track surfaces have made runners faster).  Baseball?  Teams now use GPS to identify the location of a pitchers point of release for every pitch.

Cycling evolved very, very slowly. Doesn’t look like the above chap is in a race. It’s 99.99% still about the athlete.

Running the same, and baseball, and everything else I mentioned and many more. The essence of all those sports hasn’t changed at all since they were invented.

The skill element in golf, which was always its essence and what largely distinguished it from so many other sports, has been rapidly eroded in favour of power and speed. 

Youll have to fill me in on how analysing a pitch in baseball has changed the essence of how you pitch or hit. Because I can tell you for a fact the same guys who were good at cricket 150 years ago still would be today. Golf? No chance 

31 minutes ago, milesgiles said:

Cycling evolved very, very slowly. Doesn’t look like the above chap is in a race. It’s 99.99% still about the athlete.

Running the same, and baseball, and everything else I mentioned and many more. The essence of all those sports hasn’t changed at all since they were invented.

The skill element in golf, which was always its essence and what largely distinguished it from so many other sports, has been rapidly eroded in favour of power and speed. 

Youll have to fill me in on how analysing a pitch in baseball has changed the essence of how you pitch or hit. Because I can tell you for a fact the same guys who were good at cricket 150 years ago still would be today. Golf? No chance 

You obviously haven’t watched much baseball in the last 5-10yrs. The bat and glove may be the only things that’s remained more or less the same. The “essence” as you say is radically different due to technology and how players train

Edited by Bad9
  • Like 3

Ping G410 Plus 10.5°/Alta CB55 r flex
Maltby KE4 TC 5w/Xcaliber SL FW r flex

Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Xcaliber HY r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour 5h/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Maltby Tricept 54° and 58°/Xcaliber Rapid Taper r flex
Mizuno Bettinardi C06

19 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

You obviously haven’t watched much baseball in the last 5-10yrs. The bat and glove may be the only things that’s remained more or less the same. The “essence” as you say is radically different due to technology and how players train

I haven’t watched any baseball in years. Going off the viewing figures neither has anyone else. 

1 hour ago, oikos1 said:

Baseball? Same bat size AND material used prolly for the last 100 years + 

The toaster sized, space age material, driver the supposedly pro golfers use now would be like if  if MLB players now allowed to use Titanium giant oversized bats like,

89242FB6-77F6-40B8-B433-B564DCBA2AB8.jpeg

Edited by bscinstnct
2 hours ago, bscinstnct said:

Baseball? Same bat size AND material used prolly for the last 100 years + 

The toaster sized, space age material, driver the supposedly pro golfers use now would be like if  if MLB players now allowed to use Titanium giant oversized bats like,

89242FB6-77F6-40B8-B433-B564DCBA2AB8.jpeg

That really is the best analogy to golf and the driver specifically. Baseball has had a max barrell circumference for a very long time. If you look at old wood bats, they're much skinnier in the barrell and thicker in the handle then now. I'm not sure when they instituted the barrell size limit, but as I would imagine that as soon as someone showed up with a fatter bat, they put the clamps on it. That would've been the equivalent of "golf" clamping down on the cc size as soon as the first Big Bertha showed up? Not sure if there was a driver earlier than that with a larger head.  

• Like 1