New P770s Reviews & KBS

Anyone got theirs and have reviews? Demod them with modus and were money but due to backorder i ordered with stock kbs, the feel is way different and didnt hit them good with the KBS at all. Not sure if the kbs are a made for version or just the stock kbs, not sure.

Anyone else got reviews on distance forgiveness accuracy etc? Any flier issues or anything thus far?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Weird I think KBS Tour shafts feel great. 

It goes to show how we all have different swings and feels. And feel is so important! For me I actually was hitting C tapers really well but they felt harsh and demanding so I crossed it off my list i

Yeah this thread is making me chuckle. I’ve never heard a KBS Tour shaft described as rebar, especially compared to PX Rifles. I have heard complaints that KBS Tours fly too high and spin too much for

24 minutes ago, jklcmo said:

When I went for my fitting I wasn’t overly crazy about the feel of the KBS. Hard to explain but it felt a bit harsh and heavy which steered me away from buying the P770 off the shelf. Ended up with Project X and therefore I now have to have to wait until late October for the custom order.

Yeah agree,the modus were so soft an money, the kbs i sacrificed to get now vs waiting an they are harsh and dont feel anywhere near the same. I pulled them today i was so mad,gng put my trusty dg 120 s300s in them an really test them!

When I got fitted, the stock KBS was like rebar. I don't know how to explain it, but it was very harsh feeling. I tried the Modus 3 120 and the dispersion was horrible. They swung nice but dang, they were not for my swing. I then tried Px LZ 6.0 and the ball flew way too high. Finally I tried the Px 6.0 and they were money. Perfect flight, great distance and spin, and the dispersion was the best out of everything I hit.  My fitter then had me try the Modus 3 120, KBS and Px 6.0 randomly, 5 shots quick, no time to think or get my head in to the selection, and the results were the same. 

The only problem is I ordered a split set of 4-6 P790 and the 7-PW P770, I received the P790 over a week ago and the P770 are due in November..... so don't even have a full set of irons to play. At least I have a set of old I-15 Pings and Mizuno MP5h to play. Just sucks I have half of my new Iron order....

first they are stock KBS Tour not made for at least based on a visit to the KBS Experience shop in Carlsbad   i took mine in yesterday and had them regripped.  I think they are definitely stiff but don't find them boardy and prefer them to PX.  Just my opinion and preference.  The more I play these the more I like them.  Added spin compared to P790s gives me a lot more confidence in holding greens.

Demo’d the 770’s with the stock KBS and hated them. I do not like that shaft at all. Stuck my Modus 120 and instant  gratification. Just can’t decide is they are too demanding for a 10 capper. I need to demo again. My PXG 0211 just work, but are so big. 

Really thinking 4-6 790 and 7-AW 770 Modus 120.

Edited by OspreyCI

PXG 0811X Proto+ GD AD IZ 6S 
PXG 0341x Proto 15* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0341x Proto 18* Diamana S+ 70S
PXG 0211 4-PW Elevate Tour S
PXG 0311 Forged 50*/54*/Camo 60* Elevate Tour S 
PXG One and Done 

Bridgestone BX

I tested ctaper, $taper, px LZ, modus 105 and kbs tour 120. Came down to Modus 105 and KBS Tour 120. I really wanted to like the lighter modus shaft but the KBS dispersion was better for me and KBS just felt lovely to me. Its a perfect high but penetrating flight, no balooning. Fitter said it comes down to feel and for me it was a no brainer. 

8 hours ago, nikeblades00 said:

I tested ctaper, $taper, px LZ, modus 105 and kbs tour 120. Came down to Modus 105 and KBS Tour 120. I really wanted to like the lighter modus shaft but the KBS dispersion was better for me and KBS just felt lovely to me. Its a perfect high but penetrating flight, no balooning. Fitter said it comes down to feel and for me it was a no brainer. 

For me the kbs is harsh almost clicky and hard feeling, the modus was soft and great dispersion.

Just now, russian7 said:

For me the kbs is harsh almost clicky and hard feeling, the modus was soft and great dispersion.

It goes to show how we all have different swings and feels. And feel is so important! For me I actually was hitting C tapers really well but they felt harsh and demanding so I crossed it off my list instantly. 

• Like 1

4th round this morning and really starting to dial my distances in.  I like the ball flight and dispersion the stock KBS gives me,  It's a stout stiff but I have an aggressive downward move and these hold up very well for me without being harsh.  Now if you put a KBS C Taper in my hand it would feel harsh as would a PX 6.0.  To each there own but I do believe if one gets the right shaft in the 770s they will be happy.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:16 PM, Godfather said:

Yeah this thread is making me chuckle. I’ve never heard a KBS Tour shaft described as rebar, especially compared to PX Rifles. I have heard complaints that KBS Tours fly too high and spin too much for some, but feel is usually praised because they have torque in the 2.0-2.5 range as opposed to sub 2.0. The Tours do have a quite high CPM relative to flex, so it could be the tester should have tried a regular flex in this particular model. A stiff in one lineup doesn’t mean anything with another company. I play a stiff in most shafts, but I am R in KBS C Tapers. But Tours feel as smooth to me as any shaft.  

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, dmeeksDC said:

Yeah this thread is making me chuckle. I’ve never heard a KBS Tour shaft described as rebar, especially compared to PX Rifles. I have heard complaints that KBS Tours fly too high and spin too much for some, but feel is usually praised because they have torque in the 2.0-2.5 range as opposed to sub 2.0. The Tours do have a quite high CPM relative to flex, so it could be the tester should have tried a regular flex in this particular model. A stiff in one lineup doesn’t mean anything with another company. I play a stiff in most shafts, but I am R in KBS C Tapers. But Tours feel as smooth to me as any shaft.  

I play x in everything but irons usually just stiff and play many brands and combos, kbs tour has been good and better feel in other heads but this combo did not work, it was harsher and clicky, put my s300s in today and 100x better feel, demoed them with modus 120x and felt smooth as well, for some reason the kbs wasnt a good fit with this head for me

Feel and weight of shafts is all very personal.

To me C Taper X feels soft to flex, Project X 6.5 felt horrible and so stiff, S400 in my wedges is awesome and I had no idea where the ball was going with Nippon shafts.

Could you really get used to any shaft, probably. 

• Ping G410 LST 9* Tensei Orange 70TX
  • Taylormade M5 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • Taylormade P790 18* UDI Project X 6.5
  • Ping Blueprint 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

I don't know I feel like these heads spin a lot, I have the exact same shafts and specs and comparing both sets of irons these launch a lot higher with more Spin and are shorter than my Nike Vapor Pro combos, I was expecting some distance gain and forgiveness with these irons but not so much so, I'm going to give them a couple of more shots though

So far I really don’t have any complaints on the KBS shafts.  Bad shots I’ve had have been my error so far.  If I decide I don’t like them I have a set of DG 120 X100s I’ll softstep and drop in, but so far I’m getting along with the KBS.  

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider X

On 9/23/2020 at 9:16 PM, Godfather said:

I agree! In fact, the KBS were part of the reason I made the move.

WITB

Titleist TSi3 9.0 degree HZRDUS Smoke 70g 6.0 Stiff 
Titleist TSi3 15.0 degree HZDRUS Smoke 70g 6.0 Stiff 
Taylor Made SIM Max 19 degree Hybrid Ventus Stiff
Titleist T100 4 - 9 AMT White S-300
Titleist Vokey SM8 46-10F
Titleist Vokey SM8 52-12F
Titleist Vokey SM8 56-10S
Titleist Vokey SM8 60-10S
Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport T22
Titleist ProV1X

GO VOLS!

I think alot also depends on your delivery/impact. What were your gamer irons before these? I found these to have a mid/mid with the KBS tours. Also keep in mind im naturally a low to mid ball hitter with alot of forward shaft lean. I found them to flight nicely and penetrating ball flight. I guess what im getting at is the KBS tours could be a bad matchup for someone who is a high ball hitter as these 770 heads are intended to promote a high ball flight.

Not to redirect the title of this thread, but does anyone have a review of the P770's and MMT's?  Mine are ordered and scheduled to be built late Nov.

Titleist TSi2 9 Ventus Stiff -or-
Mavrik 9 Oban Devotion Stiff

Taylormade P770 MMT stiff -or-
Titleist AP3 5-PW Accra Prototype 85 -or-
Adams Tour-issue CB5 Satin DG S300
TEE CB5 16.5 4-wood Fuji Rombax 7X07
Cleveland Zipcore 50, 54, 58, 62
Scotty Cameron Studio Style 33" 350g 

• 2 weeks later...

I got fitted and played 5 rounds with P770’s.  The stock KBS Tours in S flex gave me the best numbers. And that has proved on the course. I did however change golf balls to the Titleist AVX from Pro V1. That got my spin in an ideal range for me. My 6 iron carry is 175-180 yards. I was playing Modus 120 X flex with Z-Forged blades. Of course the 770’s go further but the dispersion has shocked me. They are almost as consistent as my blades were. So far I’m in love with my 770’s. 

About 10 rounds in now with the KBS.  Still no complaints.  I am finding them very similar to my previous gamers, Ping i210 w/ DG 120 S300.  Haven’t had to adjust yardages at all really.

TaylorMade SIM2 10.5*, Ventus Black 6X 
TaylorMade SIM2 3W 15*, Ventus Blue 7X
TaylorMade SIM2 3H 19.5*, Ventus Blue 9X

TaylorMade P770 4-5, P7MC 6-PW, DG TI X100
TaylorMade MG2 50, 54, 58, DG TI S400

TaylorMade Spider X

I personallyfeel the 770 is just too firm feeling, like as advertised as a smaller 790. Beautiful and good size but just not my feel. 

Shaft wise I find the kbs tour very soft and spinny but I am a high spin guy. Nippon 120s are similar and fall into the smooth category. I prefer firm in my irons and play px 6.5 and like the feel (outside the norm I know). Feel is very subjective and it helps when getting others advice to understand where they are coming from:  ie what they play and how they say it feels to them. Also what shafts they have hit you know well so you can understand where they are coming from. This will help you use their input in a way you can understand. In my experience, people  usually prefer smooth (kbs/nippon) or firm (project x/c taper). After that just dial in your category and ignore the rest. Good luck.