Pistol GTR 1.0 vs Pistol GT 1.0

Long story short... I have the GTR 1.0 on my flowneck shaft and wanted the same on my plumbers neck shaft.  Found a Pistol GT 1.0 for a great price.  Purchased thinking that they were essentially the same grip... while very similiar I have noticed they are quite a bit different.  They do not seem to be the same diameter, the pistol part of the grip on the GT 1.0 is not as pronounced as on the GTR.  Now I understand that they are a few years apart, but to me they feel a lot different.  Anyone else have this experience?

Driver:  Mizuno ST 180 11.5u* w Kuro Kage Silver TiNi DC 60g S Shaft
Irons/Wedges:   Ping Rapture 2 iron w Ping CFS Soft Stepped Stiff Shaft
                             Ping i25 4-UW w Ping AWT 2.0 X-Shafts, SW/LW Ping AWT 2.0 Wedge flex shafts                           
Grips:  Lamkin UTx Midsize Black
Putter:  Bastain Milled Fusion Golf Prototype 1 of 1
Putter Shaft/Grip:   Flow Neck - Custom PX 6.0 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion 2.0 XL

Plumbers Neck - Custom PX 5.5 shaft @ 32.5"w Super Stroke Traxion GT 1.0

Ball:  Callaway Diablo Tour 3-Piece

Bag: 2020 Ping Hoofer Lite

Glove: MG DynaGrip Elite

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they call them pistol because of the shape of the back and the  "ax handle" butt end. But you are right, they are not classic pistol shape, just a variation. I haven't tried any of the ne

Totally agree about the odor. Opened one up about a month ago and thought the same thing haha. 

The GTR is bigger by a tiny bit, most noticeable in the lower part, and weighs about 10-12 grams more ( Pistol GT Tour 1.0  66gm vs. GTR 1.0 @ 77gm) .

I'm sensitive to grip weight/balance so I can tell a little difference depending on the head weight of the putter.

These are the newer ones, but the differences appear to be close to the same, if memory serves. I just weighed the GTR 1.0 at this week.

Pretty sure I have this right but will double check tonight as far as model name goes......

From SS website:

GT Tour
1.09″
69g
0.58″

GT 1.0
1.14″
82g
0.58″

GT 2.0
1.32″
51g
0.58″

All Grip Lengths are 10.50″

*Weight only reflects the actual weight of the grip.  No CounterCore™ weight is included with the grip but may be purchased separately here.

Edited by RainShadow

Ping G400 10.5 (9.75) Hzrdus Yellow 5.5 76 ( Atmos Blue TS 6 sometimes)
Callaway Rogue 17* 4wd Atmos Blue TS 70  
Ping G410 19*, 22* & 26* Tensei CK Pro Blue 80
Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12
Toulon Madison H1 neck / Bettinardi BB1 Tiki 2016 / Toulon Long Island
 Wilson Staff FG Tour/ TM Tour Response/ BStone B RXS

Just put a GT 1.0 on an 8802 style and I'm not feeling what I thought I would from this grip? I thought with "pistol" in the name, it would be somewhat akin to my midsize Pingman cord and promote some toe flow/release. Saw DJ with one (I think) on his Spider with the flow neck.) But that very large front side on the GT 1.0 almost feels more paddle-like in effect in maintaining facial squareness to stroke path? The two putters I putt best with have the Ultra Slim 1.0 from years ago, so I thought the Pistol GT 1.0 was a logical extension of what I was after? I think that very large butt end portion is what I don't like compared to the smaller, rounder shape of the US 1.0. It limits my left hand rotation in ways I was not expecting. Not sure I like the "non-stitched" stitching effect up the back either. The US 1.0 is truly stitched and was a super product at $19.99 at the time.

Felt like I totally wasted $30 on this thing. Is there any money back offer or exchange with SS? Heck, I'd love an US 1.0 in exchange.

Oh- and do these SMELL more than they used to when new? STINKS!

I was also trying to NOT put a Pingman Mid Cord on every one of my putters and try something different.

Edited by blueonblack
5 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

Just put a GT 1.0 on an 8802 style and I'm not feeling what I thought I would from this grip? I thought with "pistol" in the name, it would be somewhat akin to my midsize Pingman cord and promote some toe flow/release. Saw DJ with one (I think) on his Spider with the flow neck.) But that very large front side on the GT 1.0 almost feels more paddle-like in effect in maintaining facial squareness to stroke path? The two putters I putt best with have the Ultra Slim 1.0 from years ago, so I thought the Pistol GT 1.0 was a logical extension of what I was after? I think that very large butt end portion is what I don't like compared to the smaller, rounder shape of the US 1.0. It limits my left hand rotation in ways I was not expecting. Not sure I like the "non-stitched" stitching effect up the back either. The US 1.0 is truly stitched and was a super product at $19.99 at the time.

Felt like I totally wasted $30 on this thing. Is there any money back offer or exchange with SS? Heck, I'd love an US 1.0 in exchange.

I was also trying to NOT put a Pingman Mid Cord on every one of my putters and try something different.

I think they call them pistol because of the shape of the back and the  "ax handle" butt end. But you are right, they are not classic pistol shape, just a variation.

I haven't tried any of the new ones. Mine are all prior generation

Edited by RainShadow
  • Thanks 1

Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW SteelFiber i95cw R (2019 Forged Tec SteelFiber i95cw R trial run ) 
Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12

14 minutes ago, RainShadow said:

I think they call them pistol because of the shape of the back and the  "ax handle" butt end. But you are right, they are not classic pistol shape, just a variation.

I haven't tried any of the new ones. Mine are all prior generation

Part of the problem here was the "buying experience." Golf Galaxy doesn't have any out and on display/installed like they once did due to the 'Rona19 and all the new grips were sealed in plastic. It was hard to get a gauge. In retrospect, I should have walked over to the putter section to see if it was on one of the new putters. (You can touch grips on ONE side of the store, not the other. LOL!)  Live and learn, I guess. Haven't had good golf retail experiences in a while...

Edited by blueonblack
54 minutes ago, blueonblack said:

Totally agree about the odor. Opened one up about a month ago and thought the same thing haha. 

• Thanks 1
On 9/26/2020 at 8:34 AM, RainShadow said:

The GTR is bigger by a tiny bit, most noticeable in the lower part, and weighs about 10-12 grams more.

( Pistol GTR Tour 1.0  66gm vs. Pistol GTR 1.0 @ 77gm) .

I'm sensitive to grip weight/balance so I can tell a little difference depending on the head weight of the putter.

These are the newer ones, but the differences appear to be close to the same, if memory serves. I just weighed the GTR 1.0 at this week.

Pretty sure I have this right but will double check tonight as far as model name goes......

From SS website:

GT Tour
1.09″
69g
0.58″

GT 1.0
1.14″
82g
0.58″

GT 2.0
1.32″
51g
0.58″

All Grip Lengths are 10.50″

*Weight only reflects the actual weight of the grip.  No CounterCore™ weight is included with the grip but may be purchased separately here.

Prior gen are a little lighter.

My weights are correct for those.

Edited by RainShadow

Vokey SM7 54/8 M 
Mack Daddy PM 58/12