Who are the European golf tour announcers...

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I also like how they keep the old school rhythms. They can time their dialogue around the players executing the shots.  Ben Wright was a master at that, he could set the mood for a shot then go silent

Same with Renton Laidlaw.   He was a class act.  They care about their craft.        The PGA guys just want to be "heard."      "Listen to us, we're so smart, my nam

NBC and CBS should do a foreign exchange program with the European Tour.  I always enjoy the announcing when I catch a Euro event on the golf channel, maybe our big money jocks could learn a thing or

6 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

NBC and CBS should do a foreign exchange program with the European Tour.  I always enjoy the announcing when I catch a Euro event on the golf channel, maybe our big money jocks could learn a thing or two. 

Agreed.  No side stories.  No update on their puppy or what their favorite food is, just golf.  I like that.

• Like 4
G410 9 Degree - Accra FX 2.0
G410 3, 5 & 9 Woods - Accra FX 2.0
G410 4-5 Hybrids - Accra 80i
G410 6-UW - Accra 80i
Glide 3.0 54WS, 58WS Accra 80i
PING Bruzer
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E **Backup**
(MY HYBRIDS, IRONS & WEDGES HAVE BEEN STOLEN BY MY SON)
3 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

Same with Renton Laidlaw.   He was a class act. 

They care about their craft. 

The PGA guys just want to be "heard."   

"Listen to us, we're so smart, my name is Bones and this is Paul Azinger, we are the epitome of the Dunning-Kruger effect."  

Well put.  They did care about their craft. I spend a lot of time on YouTube watching golf tournament footage from that era.  It's odd how much it's changed, the approach to announcing. Sometimes I wonder why its changed so much. Is it new producers? Network executives thinking a new style is more relevant or needed? Or is just laziness?    

The Dunning-Kruger effect, that sent me to the old google machine, that's an interesting clinical assessment.  I always seem to learn a thing or two from your posts my friend.  

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Well put.  They did care about their craft. I spend a lot of time on YouTube watching golf tournament footage from that era.  It's odd how much it's changed, the approach to announcing. Sometimes I wonder why its changed so much. Is it new producers? Network executives thinking a new style is more relevant or needed? Or is just laziness?    

The Dunning-Kruger effect, that sent me to the old google machine, that's an interesting clinical assessment.  I always seem to learn a thing or two from your posts my friend.  

Thanks.  My pleasure. 

The guys from back in that era knew their job was to accompany the coverage and help the viewer gain perspective about the golf hole and what shot the player was hitting by saying just enough.

Keeping one's mouth shut is an art form lost on the announcers of today. 

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Thanks.  My pleasure. 

The guys from back in that era knew their job was to accompany the coverage and help the viewer gain perspective about the golf hole and what shot the player was hitting by saying just enough.

Keeping one's mouth shut is an art form lost on the announcers of today. 

Nuff said summerall and brookshier and a fifth of scotch on a crisp autumn Sunday. 

• Like 2

I still miss the Alex Hay/Peter Alliss combo...pure genius.

• Like 2

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

I’ve preceded the euro tour in general for years.  The style play is better too. 

Cobra King SZ 10.8* Fuji Atmos Black 6x

TM RBZ tour 14* ADDI 8x 

TM gapr tour 3 iron 21*Evenflow blue 6.5 

Mizuno MP20 4hmb 5-6mmc 7-PW MB Fuji pro tour spec 115x 

Ping Glide 3.0 50 54 60 Fuji pro 115S 

cameron GSS 009 1.5 - sound slot - tungesten sole weights 

On 9/24/2020 at 8:54 PM, tbowles411 said:

Agreed.  No side stories.  No update on their puppy or what their favorite food is, just golf.  I like that.

i think the manners of the announcers and crowd are much more golf orientated then in the US. Like tbowles said, they care more about a puppy story or if van rooyen hasn't got cold ankles in his pants. and don't get me started about the US crowd shouting at every single shot ?

• Like 1

Frank Chirkinian wouldn't have stood for it, best sports producer CBS ever had. Reported to have said to a pair of golf 'announcers', 'Shut up, you ain't saying anything interesting anyhow'. How true that would be in today's US golf coverage.

Where are the Chirkinians and, for that matter the Doebereiners (now, he could write), of yesteryear?

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Frank Chirkinian wouldn't have stood for it, best sports producer CBS ever had. Reported to have said to a pair of golf 'announcers', 'Shut up, you ain't saying anything interesting anyhow'. How true that would be in today's US golf coverage.

Where are the Chirkinians and, for that matter the Doebereiners (now, he could write), of yesteryear?

Good call!

Dobereiner stoked my early passion for the game. I still have my copy of ‘Glorious World of Golf’ next to the bed and dive back in regularly to re-read my favourite parts.

Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Fubuki ZT Stiff
Callaway XR Speed 3W Project X HZRDUS T800 65 Stiff
Wilson Staff FG Tour M3 21* Hybrid Aldila RIP Stiff
Cobra King CB/MB Flow 4-6, 7-PW C-Taper Stiff
Wilson Staff PMP wedges 50/54/58 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Radius Classic 8

49 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I believe it was in Ben Wright's book that he recounted the story of joining CBS golf and being chewed out by Chirkinian the first time he mistakenly spoke while a player was being shown making a shot. It was one of his doctrines that you never did that on one of his broadcasts. Someone should tell that to Nick Faldo.

• Thanks 1

I remember hearing Joe Buck call a golf tourney for the first time. 

After two minutes, I went into the spare bedroom said 10 Hail Marys, 10 Our Fathers and prayed for the TV producers that allowed Joe Buck the privilege of calling golf to use better judgement next time.   

• Like 1
7 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I don't know, it seems like TV people think this is what the viewers want.  I think they think every sport should be like football or hockey, and that people want Gus Johnson types where a player making a layup to make 6-4 in the 1st half is a scream-worthy moment of excitement.